The Sequel: Once Upon A Time

Once Upon A Time (Twice's Nayeon x You)

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hey! Before you read this sequel, make sure that you read the ending in case you've forgotten (which I hope you haven't 🥺). After reading this sequel, may you have someone to cuddle with on this cold season. Merry Christmas ⛄! Here's my gift for you ( I don't know if you'll like it or not 🤭)

 


Nayeon's POV

 


*1 decade after*

 


"Ohh! Nayeon!"

 


I could see Erika waving at me from the counter as soon as I arrived in their restaurant. A lot has changed. They already have a second floor. I was even invited to their expansion of business, and they even have other branches nationwide. The dusky lights were replaced by decorative chandeliers attached to the ceiling. It was indeed awe-inspiring cause you could see each person's faces clearly right now because of the dazzling lights. There was a busting sound that emerged from the kitchen because of the opened door. Two of them came out greeting me.

 


"Hey, Nayeon!", it was Nicole and Abby.


"It's been a long time since I saw the three of you together, assembled back in this place.", I snickered at them.


"Right, having an expansion nationwide is more laborious than we thought, that we have to go on separate ways to operate the business.", Erika sighed. "Have a seat. Your food is on me."

 


Abby and Nicole were fast enough to settle the foods in front of me, and I could only give them my smile as a payment. They all sat at the same table, hoping for genuine synergy.

 


"You've gotten better now than the last time I saw you, Nayeon.", Erika was in front of me. "I mean, when was the last time I even saw you?"


"Wasn't it the time of Grandma's burial?", Abby's face turned into a dreary one.


"Right. We never had the chance to reach out once again after that.", I tried not to push the topic cause it would be remorseful for the sisters.


"I could sense you are being mindful in expressing about our grandmother's death. Actually, it's okay, and we accepted it. We cannot escape growing old. Grandma is fortunate enough to even reach that age, or at least that's what she said.", Erika shrugged. "That was her last words. She had too much hangover on Y/N's death. Who would've thought?"

 


Memories were brought back in an instant. I strived to forget as to what those who knew her, told me to move as life goes on. It was actually successful. I was able to move on, but can I really call it a successful one?

 


"Yeah. It took months after Y/N's death when Grandma decided to give up too. That was really unexpected as she was still strong.", Nicole was fiddling her fingers, gazing at it.


"Enough with these sentiments.", Abby brought her hands up. "We should just be glad that Grandma did that!"


"Huh?"


"Grandma wanted it to happen. She wants to follow Y/N above so someone could take care of Y/N. Grandma knows how independent we are, so she left us for Y/N. At least, we know that both of them are happy wherever they are now."

 


Happy? How could you define happiness? Isn't life too unfair? Is she seriously happy without me there?

 


"Earth to Nayeon? You are still on earth, so set your feet down.", Erika flinched my forehead, making me howl. "I'm sorry I wasn't present when there are significant events in your life."


"That's alright. I understand."


"But how's Jeongyeon?"


"I see you haven't moved on from your fangirling life yet.", I eyed her.


"That's not something to be moved on about! I will always be a Once although Twice disbanded years ago!"


"Thank you then.", I got up and bowed at her.


"Well, what brought you here?", Nicole giggled.


"Ahh. Just needed to taste home.", I took off some presents from my bag and presented it to each of them. "And, Merry Christmas."


"Yah! You didn't have to bring us something!", they all declined at first but took it anyway. "You know, Nayeon? You can come here anytime, and we will always give you free food. We can't thank you enough for what you did to us. This wouldn't all happen if not because of Twice and Y/N. Merry Christmas!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Hey!"

 


Their names written on the cardboard was set down when they ran towards me. I was sunk in a secure hug, making me feel warm on this winter day. It only ceased when the little one pulled her mother back.

 


"Hello there, our little cutie!", I pinched the face of Momo's son, making him hide. "I guess he wasn't used to me."


"You always make children cry, unnie! Stop acting like it's a new thing.", Momo rolled her eyes.


"Hello there, Heechul Oppa!", he waved at me as he carried his son in his arms.


"Come on, we should have dinner! I'm hungry.", Mina pouted as she swayed her hair.


"Uhh. That.", Momo shyly scratched her scalp. "Heechul's eomma already prepared dinner for us, and I cannot refuse it cause you know."


"It's alright. Your little one should also meet his grandmother.", I smiled at her and grabbed Mina with me. "So, what now? I guess we should separate ways for now. We'll see each other at our Christmas party reunion!"


"Yeah!"

 

 

Mina followed me, and I looked back to see Momo handling her son well. At first, I thought she's gonna be disappointed because she would always want a baby girl to take care of it, like how she took care of her dolls. Mothers have no choice then.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Wait!", I pushed the brake and looked at Mina sternly. "There are 3 Japanese. I only saw you and Momo. Where's Sana?"


"Ahh! She didn't come with us.", Mina responded. "Date of confinement next week. She cannot travel."


"Jinjja?", I started driving again, still talking with Mina. "Why didn't I know that she's preggy?"


"I know, right? She used to be a blabbermouth most of the time, but I guess maternal issues shaped her. She was anxious about giving birth. She said that she would also want her child to be an only child just like her so she won't have to suffer again."

 


We all laughed together with the sound of the music playing on the radio. This brings back the memories and only the memories, nothing more.

 


"Yah! You are just laughing there, Mina! How about you? When are you gonna commit yourself to relationships? We are not getting any younger!"

 

 


Mina went soundless as she browsed my whole face. I don't know what that stare is for, but I could feel my face flushing rapidly. I am not in love with Mina, okay?!

 

 


"Relationships?", she pondered to herself. "Why have relationships if it is not even your true love?"

 


And at that moment, something in my heart. Sometimes, we put a bandaid on our wounds to cover up and prevent infection to not make it worse. Still, there's a scar. The scar is made for us to remember.

 


"Why love someone when that person is not your true love? For the sake of building a family? For the sake that someone would be there by your side? For the sake that there will be children and a partner who could bury you and not just leave you expired on the bed with no one noticing that?"


"Mina, your mind."


"Love your true love."


"Do not talk maturely. We are already here.", I parked the car as Mina went down and scrutinized my house, and I could see she was somehow impressed.

 


"Now, let's see your interior."


"Aish. Mina.", I opened the door and motioned Mina to come inside.

 

 


"Eomma!"

 


It wasn't surprising for me since she would always do it all the time. I see her approaching me, and I could only smile at her. She's my love. I made her out of love.

 


"How's my little one?", I tucked her in my arms as she was so excited that she hugged me tighter.


"I had a good day! Hello there, aunt Mina!"


"Aigoo! You grew up to be a lovely lady!", she ran towards her aunt, and Mina carried her all the way towards the kitchen. "Nayeon unnie, the interior is somehow good. Can't believe you have a taste."


"Aish. Mina."


"Ohh. Jeongyeon is calling.", I answered the video call, and Mina went on my side. "Yah! What made you call?! We are gonna see each other tomorrow, so why would you call?!"


"Until now, you are still pestered with my face?! Don't worry, Im Nayeon. The feeling is mutual.", yeah, our feelings were always mutual even with Y/N.


"Hello, unnie!"


"Oh! Mina! You got fat!"


"Yah! Jeongyeon! You are calling us only to ruin our night! You should probably hang up!", I was about to press the red button, but she stopped me from doing so by spilling the news.


"Yah! It's not like that.", she went red. "I finally found someone."


"What?"


"Are you proud of me now, Nayeon unnie?", all I could do is laugh at her, but I was exultant. "You kept on telling me for 10 years already to find someone. Out of all the members, I was usually the one you were pushing, not knowing why. Now, are you proud of me?"

 


Looking at those days, I would always bump into her telling her to find someone just because I wanted to keep the person we both loved to myself. Not knowing that when days passed, I would be the first to have someone.

 


"I guess I am.", I nodded while grinning. "Congrats."


"Well, that's all. I got to go now. See you all tomorrow."


"Bye.", we all waved at her, then Mina and I were left speechless after that.


"I should bring you to the guest room.", we walked, and the guest room was just beside my daughter's room. "I hope you find comfort in this room, Mina. It's not that much as your elegant aura, but just tell me if you need something, and I'll try to adhere to it."


"No, I appreciate it, and thanks for always taking good care of me since our story began, unnie."


"Good night then.", I was about to close the door, but I felt Mina's fingers brush on mine before I could finally leave, and she was standing there like she wanted to say something. "What is it, Mina? Don't tell me you want me to sleep beside you. Aww. This baby girl."


"Unnie, it's not like that!"

 


She was waving her hands, side by side, blushing hardly with my comment. There was still this laugh coming out from me that I didn't notice Mina taking something from the pocket of her sweater, and it's a scarf. If I am not mistaken, that was the scarf she kneaded for her. It's a shame that they don't have any traces of memory of her.

 


"You see. I haven't used this long enough cause something feels odd.", an envelope similar to the envelope inside that box. "This letter has your address. I don't know where it came from, but it was in the pocket of this sweater, wrapped with this scarf, for a long time."

 


My nerves were sluggish enough not prepared for what the content of this envelope would be, so Mina took my hand enthusiastically and forced it on my hand.

 


"Time did not slow down, so there you go, unnie. I have to sleep now. Travel was not that long, but I'm exhausted."

 


Answering her with a shaky nod, I opened the door and gave her a good night smile. I needed to focus on the stairs for me not to fall down. I was still shaking, but I managed to get inside my room. Closing the door, turning the lights on, looking at the letter. Why do I feel nervous when it comes to her?

 

 

 

 

 

 

"To Nayeon,

Is everything well now? Yes, I mean it when I say now. Now, cause by the time you'll read this letter, it would probably be ten years from now. I'm sorry if I didn't have the chance to respond to your confession cause if I'll answer, it would be tougher for you to let go of me. I wouldn't want that! I want you to have a happy life ahead, although it wouldn't be together with me. Although you won't see me witnessing your happiness. If God would only let me see you up from heaven, I would call it heaven cause I would want you to see you live the happiest life you deserve. Don't be sorry. We'll see each other again someday. I won't write longer than this cause I know longer letters tend to make you cry. Anyway, whatever you are going to ask me, I only have one answer. 

Yes.

From your beloved possession."

 

 

 

My knees felt weak that it made me kneel down like I was proposing to the writer of this letter. She said yes. In the future, she will marry me. My eyes gazed at the mansion in front of me. It is where she lived when she was a child. We are just currently facing each other but at different times. I could see the younger her and the current me. I was glad that I obtained that property and handled it well. I couldn't just live there. I couldn't just step on the floor where she was running as a kid. In the future, when she marries me, we'll be together in the same house and at the same time. She said yes.

 


"Eomma? Are you crying?"

 


A mother couldn't show how vulnerable she is in front of her child, so I quickly erased the tear stains on my face and plastered a smile, presenting myself to my kid.

 


"Me? Crying? Aish. You just yawned! It was your own eyes tearing up, darling.", I pinched the cheeks of my daughter and hugged her. "What brought you here? You should be sleeping this time."


"Appa arrived, eomma. He's downstairs!", my daughter's eyes shone as she missed her father, who was working abroad, so she pulled me by the hand and ran downstairs.


"You need to slow down! Be careful!"

 

 

 

"Oh! Yeobo.", my husband smiled at me and kissed my forehead. "Ahh! How I missed my whole family!"


"Cringe, but I missed you too, yeobo.", although I know deep inside I am missing someone more.


"Appa! It's not a surprise anymore!", our daughter opened his trolley, making him sigh as she lifted the gift box. "I can't wait for Christmas eve, so I'm gonna open this now! Mianhe, eomma, and appa!"

 


Running away a bit farther from us while holding the package, her eyes glittered more on what she saw, which made my eyes glittered the most. There it was. I don't know which scene made my eyes glitter like this, but I am certain that it was glittering.

 


"Wow. Yeppeuda."

 


The same face as the doll that I received. My daughter had the same reaction too. Maybe my eyes were glittering the most because of my daughter's lovely reaction, the familiar doll that she was holding, or maybe it was because of the magic in the air.

 


"Appa! Gomawo!"

 

 


"Where'd you get that doll?", I tried to hide what I really felt in front of my husband. "That doll is certainly beautiful."


"Do you want to touch her, eomma?"

 


I backed away and did not notice that my hands were lifted, stopping my kid, making her disappointed with my action. I felt blameworthy for both my kid and that doll.

 


"My hands are dirty, darling."


"I bought that in the US. There's a huge doll company there, and all their dolls were magnificent. That doll was somehow hidden though. I heard no one is allowed to buy that doll, but I was at the same time together with the owner. She had this mighty aura that couldn't be simply put down. Although I'm a man, she gave me shivers. How could a tough man like this be scared of her? Anyway, she asked if I was Korean, and I couldn't vocalize, but I nodded. It was impossible for everyone cause she handed the doll to me and offered it for free. She thinks my ladies would love it. I see, why not? My lady loves the doll!"

 


Before leaving Korea, her aunt communicated with me first, telling me that she wants to have a fresh start. It's not too late. They even say life begins in later years. She could've used Y/N's father as an influence for her to go that far, or she could've manipulated them with her potion. Just kidding.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Yah. You better take care of her.", I patted my daughter's head, entrusting the doll to her while we entered her room. "Play with her tomorrow. It's late at night."

 


My child flinched when I covered her with the blanket cause she extended the fabric to her doll. It bothered her that much when there is an area of the doll exposed, so she tucked the doll closer to her, hugging her. My heart feels warm this winter. I looked back at them before turning off the light.

 


"Eomma."


"Yes, darling?"


"Doesn't this doll matches perfectly with my favorite story? I mean, the story that you were storytelling me whenever I can't sleep. It's my favorite fairytale ever! I could recognize the facial features of the doll you were describing with this new doll of mine. I can now see why your eyes are shining while describing the doll in the story, eomma! Neomu yepeo!"

 


I stopped talking about her. It's not helpful to infuse the thought of her to my own daughter. The effectivity of my storytelling was still inflicted on my daughter, and it's my fault once again.

 


"Promise me to take care of her."


"I will! So she will have a happy ending with the cursed bunny someday!"

 


Smiling at her and smiling at the doll who cannot possibly see me, I closed the door again. The door to my heart. The book of our story. Our story was only once upon a time, and we never lived happily ever after.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hello again! After reading this, always remember that "Depend on You" by TWICE is the theme song of this story so you should better listen to it! Merry Christmas and Advance Happy New Year everyone! I love you all! And anyway, sadly, I wouldn't be posting my stories in this platform. If you'd like to read more, feel free to follow me on Wattpad @hiraguna byeee!