The practice room

Love me, please...

IU brought her guitar that morning. She placed the guitar at the back of the class and it attracted the students of the class. She quickly went to her sit and greeted Suzy.

“You know how to play guitar?” A girl suddenly came and asked her, excited while other girls and guys are surrounding her table.

IU nodded gently with a smiled on her face. The crowds started buzzing between them. She was happy when she received this much attention.

“Can you play for us?” The girl asked again.

IU shook her head. “Not now. I’ll play it for you when the time comes,” IU answered her.

The girl pouted and walked away with the other crowds. They were most probably sad hearing to IU answer.

Suzy looked at IU mischievously while raising one of her eyebrows. “I thought you wouldn’t join the show,”

“Well, I wanted to cancel yesterday but then...” IU paused and looked as the waiting Suzy. She giggled looking at Suzy interested face.  

“Yah! Don’t treat me like this,” Suzy shook IU arm as if she was desperate for the answer.

IU grinned. “B2ST will be there,” she answered happily.

“Really?” Suzy was surprised. “You are so lucky, Ji Eun-ah. I’m jealous,” Suzy pouted.

“You can come as one of the audiences. I’ll contact that unnie today to tell her what songs I will sing so I can ask her about making you as one of the audiences,” IU replied, smiling to Suzy, trying to comfort her.

“Sing?” Suzy asked, puzzled. Her mother won’t allow her to sing and she refused to sing before when anyone asked her. Suzy thought IU would just play the guitar at the show as she was really good with guitar.

IU nodded and smiled. But her smiled died when she saw Suzy anxious face. “Why?” IU asked.

“What about your mother?” Suzy asked, curious and anxious at the same time.

“She didn’t know. That’s why I bring the guitar. I can’t practice at home. I need to search for a practice room later,” IU explained to Suzy. Why Suzy looks so worried?  IU thought, worrying.

“Ji Eun, are you okay? You never deny your mother,” Suzy replied. She was happy but worried at the same time. She was happy that IU decided to try singing but she felt that something was wrong when IU was agreed to sing.

“I’m fine. Yesterday, while I was about to refuse joining the show. I suddenly said ‘voice’ and the unnie thought I will be singing. She sounded so excited about it and I felt bad if I decline the request,” IU explained. However, deep in her heart she just wanted to know the feeling of expressing herself through singing just like Yoseob did. She wanted to know what Yoseob felt about singing and why he looked like he enjoyed it. She was thinking about this for a whole night after she met her father. At first she decided to call that girl to say that she won’t be singing since singing didn’t sound as easy as she thought but after much thinking, she decided to continue with the idea. Plus, she had her father to back her up.

Suzy smiled even though she was not satisfied with the answer. Ji Eun could just call back and tell that unnie that she will just play the guitar but she didn’t. I hope you will be okay, Ji Eun.

*******

IU was alone that evening as Suzy needed to go home. She must be home before the sunset. That was the rule set by Suzy parents. Poor Suzy. IU hoped that one day they would give Suzy more freedom. She was walking to the library. IU had contact the girl and she agreed with her songs also with Suzy be one of the audiences. She also told IU about practice rooms near the library.

“There is a building beside the library that full with practice rooms. If you want to use one of it, there is an office at the ground floor. They will provide the key to the rooms,” The girl answered IU’s question about practice room.

IU finally arrived at the office. There was a middle-aged man inside the office, watching the television.

“Hello,” IU greeted.

The man turned to her and smiled. “Yes,” The man came to her.

“I want to use one of the rooms here,” IU requested politely. She looked at the name tag of the man. “Mr. Park,” She continued.

“What kind of room?” Mr. Park Dae Ho asked the girl before her.

IU was puzzled. She didn’t know that there were different kinds of room here.

“I guess you come here to practice your guitar, right? I’ll give you an empty music room since you already have your instrument,” Mr. Park told IU. He took a logbook and placed it in front of IU. “Could you fill you info in this book? I’ll take the key,” Mr. Park said to IU.

IU followed his instructions as she filled her name and any information needed.

“Here,” Mr. Park passed the key to IU. “It’s on level 2. You are lucky, only that level has vending machines,” He smiled.

IU took the key and smiled. “When should I send back the key?” She asked.

“When you have finished with practicing, you can place the key in this hole,” Mr. Park pointed to the hole that connected with the inside of the office.

IU nodded and smiled. She quickly rode the elevator to her room.

‘click’

It sounded as she clicked the switched. She could see that the room had dark brown carpet, two boxes of speaker, a set of audio amplifier and two black chairs. Everything that she needed was there. She quickly practiced.

********

IU walked out of the toilet. She sighed. She was lucky that vending machines were in her level but it was her bad luck that ladies’ toilet was on level 4. Level 4 was empty, silent and suddenly turned creepy. IU didn’t feel it creepy before maybe because she was busy with finding the toilet but now she was scared. She walked slowly through the floor, looked around and suddenly she noticed that there was a room that was bright. IU smiled. Level 4 was for dance practice rooms. It won’t do any harm if she took a little peek at the dance right?

IU heightened herself by trying to stand on her toe only but with her height she still couldn’t take a look. She sighed. IU placed her hand at the door knob and turned it slowly. She grinned. Slowly, she pushed it a bit, just the right space to peek at the dance.

She saw a guy was dancing. He was wearing the hood of his sweater so she couldn’t see his face clearly. She could guess it was a freestyle dance. She didn’t know the song, it was in English but it was catchy and she felt like joining the dance. He was good, every move suited the beat of the song. The moves were precise and powerful. IU tapped her fingers following the beat of song. If only I know the dance. IU thought while smiling, captivated with the dance of the guy.Suddenly the guy fell.

IU gasped and covered with her hand, surprised. The guy held his left leg with his both hands and his hood slipped down his hair.

Yoseob? IU thought as she finally saw the face behind the hood.