Chapter 54

Don't Deserve You

 

Jennie cuddles in closer to Jisoo as she takes in the scent of the older girl. 

It's been a while since the two of them have had a peaceful night like this. And despite the unsettling feeling at the pit of her stomach, she brushed it off and tries to appreciate every moment of peace and quiet that she is able to have with Jisoo. 

Jennie didn't know when they would be able to have another night like this. Throughout the past years, the couples' lives have been nothing but a series of one chaotic mess to the next. 

There was no way to tell when the next misfortune will strike. 

The only thing Jennie could do now was to appreciate every moment that she could spend with Jisoo. 

Jennie: You should go to bed Chu. It's late.

Jisoo shook her head and heaves out a heavy sigh.

Jisoo: I'm not tired. You should go to bed first Jendeuk-ah.

Jennie: Don't act like I can't see the dark bags under your eyes Jisoo. What's the real reason that you can't go to sleep?

Jennie patiently waited for Jisoo to answer as the latter remained silent. Moments later, the older releases a sigh and replies to Jennie's question. 

Jisoo: The nightmares... Ever since the day that my parents passed away, I've been having the same reoccurring nightmare. It got better after a few years but... lately they've returned.

Jennie glances up at Jisoo with sympathy as she cups the older girl's face with her hand.

Jennie: I know it must be hard on you these past few years without your parents Jisoo. But you can't dwell on the past. You have to let it go. I'm sorry I haven't been there when you needed me.

Jennie leans up and gives Jisoo a soft kiss.

Jennie: But I promise I'll always be here now. I'll always be right where you need me to be. 

Jisoo smiles as she places a kiss on Jennie's head, taking in her familiar scent.

Jisoo: Thanks Jendeuk-ah. 

Jennie removes herself from Jisoo's arms and decides to switch their positions, confusing the older girl.

Jennie: Let me hold you tonight Chu. Let me comfort you as you fall asleep.

Jisoo had hesitated at first, but eventually she allowed herself to sink into Jennie's embrace. 

It was now Jennie's turn to kiss Jisoo. The kiss was short and gentle, but yet filled with so much warmth and love that it allows Jisoo to relax into Jennie's comforting arms.

Jennie smiles lovingly at the older girl as she brushes a strand of hair away from Jisoo's face.

Jennie: You can go to sleep Jisoo. I'll protect you like you've always protected me.

 

•••

 

The next morning, Jennie went out with Chaeyoung to do some grocery shopping while Jisoo was out working at the company. 

After finding out about Jisoo's nightmares last night, she wanted to cook a special dinner for her wife tonight. 

Chaeyoung: It's awfully sweet of you to this for Jisoo, Jennie unnie. I'm sure she'll love it. 

Jennie smiles as she was looking through the grocery list and glances over at Chaeyoung.

Jennie: I really hope so Chaeng. With everything going on I just want to always be there for her. I know how much pain I've caused her throughout the past few years, but I'm willing to spend every minute of the rest of my life making it up to her. I want to show her how much I love her.

Chaeyoung wraps her arm around Jennie and gives her a comforting squeeze.

Chaeyoung: I'm sure she already knows that unnie. Despite everything that's been going on with her life lately, this is the happiest that I've seen Jisoo unnie in the past five years that I've known her. And you're the reason for her happiness unnie. I just want you to know how grateful I am for you. Thank you for loving her.

Jennie nodded as she smiles wistfully back at Chaeyoung.

Jennie: You know I never got to thank you either.

Chaeyoung was slightly taken back by Jennie's words as she shoots the older girl a confused look.

Chaeyoung: Thank me for what unnie?

Jennie shrugs as she continues to pick out food from the stands. 

Jennie: For everything. For being there for Jisoo, for being her source of comfort and support, for being you. And most importantly...

Jennie pauses as she turns over to look at the younger girl, a smile of endearment spread across her face. 

Jennie: Thank you for being there for Lisa. Thank you for deciding to date my crackhead of a best friend. She's lucky to have you. I honestly thought that she would never get in a serious relationship with anyone. 

The statement caused the two girls to laugh. However Chaeyoung blinks back her tears as she shook her head. 

Chaeyoung: You don't have to thank me for that unnie. Lisa has changed my life for the better. She's honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me. I'm the one who's lucky to have her.

Jennie smiles as she nods towards the shopping cart. 

Jennie: Why don't you and Lisa join us for dinner tonight. I'm sure Jisoo would love it. It would also be nice to spend some time together with just the four of us. 

Chaeyoung smiles widely as she nodded enthusiastically.

Chaeyoung: I'd love to unnie.

 

•••

 

Despite saying that she was working at the company, Jisoo had actually decided to meet up with her lawyer that day.

Even though Suho and Changmin has assured her that the surgery would be successful, she still had her doubts. 

Jisoo knew that all the odds were stacked against her, and before anything happened, she wanted to make sure that everyone would be okay without her. 

Hyunsik, Jisoo's lawyer, looked over the papers as he glances up towards Jisoo to confirm everything that she had stated on her will. 

Hyungsik: Miss Kim, are you sure about this?

Jisoo nodded, her face was one of resignation.

Jisoo: I'm sure Hyunsik-shi. This has to be done.

Hyunsik nodded in acceptance as he clears his throat.

Hyunsik: So I guess I will start going over everything that you have stated in this will. If there are no changes then all you need to do is give me a nod of agreement. Is that okay with you?

Jisoo: Yes.

Hyunsik: I, Kim Jisoo, hereby declare that this is my last will and testament.... I would like Miss Roseanne Chaeyoung Park to take over my position as co-CEO of Dream K. Mr. Jaewon Park, my former chauffeur, Miss Lalisa Manoban, Mr. Kim Junmyeon, Mr. Shim Changmin, Miss Hong Soojoo, as well as Mr. Jung Il Woo, will each receive 5% of my assets. Everything else that I own, as well as my company and the rest of my assets, will go to my wife Miss Jennie Kim, and it is fully up to her to do whatever she wants with them. 

Hyungsik glances up and looks at Jisoo, assuring that she was affirmative of her choices. 

Jisoo nodded in agreement in which Hyunsik takes out a pen.

Hyungsik: Thank you Miss Kim. All I need now is your signature and everything will be set.

Slowly, Jisoo grabs the pen from Hyungsik's hand. She glances at the sheet of paper before her, as her eyes welled up with tears.

Taking a deep breath, she closes her eyes and signs it.

 

•••

 

Changmin's tired face seemed to have lit up upon seeing Jisoo's arrival at his office. 

Changmin: Sooya! 

He smiles brightly as he gathered his paperwork together and pushes them to the side.

Changmin: Here for your check up I presume?

Jisoo nodded before raising up a bag.

Jisoo: That, and of course to bring you some food.

Changmin: Just in time. I'm literally so hungry I could eat anything at this point. 

Jisoo lets out a scoff as she set the bag of food onto Changmin's desk. The older male glances at the younger girl knowingly as soon as he had caught a whiff from the bag.

Changmin: Jajangmyeon?

Jisoo nodded as she took out the two bowls of black bean noodles.

Jisoo: Did you even have to guess? 

Changmin chuckles lightly as he grabs a bowl from Jisoo.

Changmin: My favorite comfort food.

Jisoo returns him a smirk and begins to mix her noodles.

Jisoo: Isn't it everyone's?

Changmin smiles before taking in a mouthful of his noodles. 

Changmin: How's everything been going lately? You look worn out.

Jisoo chuckles softly as she pretends like it's no big deal. 

Jisoo: Do I? 

Changmin wipes his mouth and nodded, his expression worried. 

Changmin: You do, now that I look at you more closely. Are you feeling okay? Any major headaches lately?

Jisoo shook her head as she started to play around with her noodles. 

Jisoo: Everything's fine oppa. There's just a lot of work at the company. I'll be fine as long as I take the medication.

Changmin furrowed his eyebrows together as he set down his chopsticks.

Changmin: With your condition right now I don't think you should be working too much Jisoo. Everyone's worried about you right now. I know that you want to take revenge for your parents, but your health should come first. You won't be able to do anything for them if your dead.

Jisoo heaves out a sigh as she nodded along in agreement.

Jisoo: I know Oppa. Look, right now I just need to wrap up a few things alright? And after I'm finished, I promise that I won't go to work anymore. I'll stay at home and be a good wife to Jennie. 

Jisoo's words seemed to assured Changmin as he manages to crack a smile.

Changmin: No going back on that promise. 

Jisoo: I won't.

Changmin returns to eating his noodles for a bit before stopping to take another glance at Jisoo. 

Changmin: What exactly are you planning to do with Seungri? Have you gathered all the evidence needed to sentence to jail?

Jisoo releases a sigh as she rubs her eyes wearily.

Jisoo: I'm almost there Oppa. Il Woo and I have a plan. We tricked him into thinking that I don't know anything about his involvement in the accident. Even though we have the recording of him admitting that he had killed my parents, we still need more evidence to lock him away for good. 

Jisoo took out the phone from her pocket that contained the video and set it on the table.

Jisoo: Right now, I'm guessing his next move will be to try and eliminate Jennie's father. I don't know how, but I had hired a few bodyguards to secretly follow Jiyong wherever he goes for his protection. I also stationed a few more around his house just to be sure. Once we captured one of his guys, we can bribe them into confessing all of Seungri's crimes. Afterwards we can seal his fate by having Il Woo testify about his illegal doings 5 years ago as well.

Changmin nodded as he thought about Jisoo's plan. 

Changmin: What are you planning to do with Il Woo though? Wouldn't he be seen as an accomplice? 

Jisoo shook her head. 

Jisoo: I've talked to my lawyer about Il Woo's case. The best case scenario is that he'll be sentenced to a year in prison, and can be released for good behavior. Worst case scenario is that he'll be sentenced to 2 years of prison. But overall it shouldn't be too bad.

Changmin nodded. 

Changmin: Hopefully this will finally bring peace to our lives once and for all.

Jisoo manages to crack a hopeful smile at Changmin's statement.

Jisoo: I hope so too Oppa.

 

•••

 

As soon as Jennie and Chaeyoung returned home, they had headed straight into the kitchen. 

The two immediately set off to work as they began to prepare the meals for Jisoo and Lisa. 

Jennie: Chaeyoung-ah, why don't you get started on the rice while I cut up the vegetables.

Chaeyoung: I'm on it unnie.

Jennie smiles as she headed over towards the sink and started to take out the veggies from their bags.

Chaeyoung: Where did you put the kim-chi?

Jennie turns around and pointed towards the refrigerator. 

Jennie: Second drawer inside the fridge. It's not opened yet. 

Chaeyoung: Ah! I found it! Thanks.

Jennie smiles as she returns to cutting the vegetables. 

After awhile she starts to get an unsettling feeling at the pit of her stomach. It made her feel uneasy. Turning towards Chaeyoung, she calls out to the younger.

Jennie: Chaeyoung-ah!

Chaeyoung: Yeah?

Jennie: Have you talked to Jisoo at all today?

Chaeyoung frowns upon Jennie's question before nodding.

Chaeyoung: Yeah. About an hour ago I had called to check up on her.

Jennie: And what did she say?

Chaeyoung: She's at Changmin oppa's right now for her checkup. Why?

Jennie furrows her eyebrows in confusion and shook her head.

Jennie: I don't know. I just feel weird all of a sudden. 

Chaeyoung's grown deepens as she approaches Jennie.

Chaeyoung: Do you feel sick or something unnie? Do you need to rest?

After a moment's hesitation, Jennie shook her head and decided to brush the uneasiness.

Jennie: No I'm fine. Don't mind me Chaeng-ah. I'm probably just being paranoid.

Chaeyoung shoots her a worried gaze as she lifts her eyebrow unsurely. 

Chaeyoung: Are you sure?

Jennie nodded.

Jennie: Yeah. Just go back to whatever you were doing.

Slowly Chaeyoung agreed to Jennie's request and walked back towards the stove. 

Jennie releases a sigh as she returns to cutting the vegetables. 

Jennie: Ahh!

Jennie looks down at her finger in pain as she realized that she had cut it with the knife. 

Chaeyoung rushes back over at Jennie's cry of pain and saw that the older girl's hand was bleeding. 

Chaeyoung: Unnie are you okay?!

The younger girl quickly rushed her over towards the sink and began running the cut over with cold water.

Chaeyoung: Aish, you should've been more careful.

Jennie winced in pain but managed to get her pain under control. Suddenly her feeling of uneasiness returns as she glances at the clock. 

Glancing back towards Chaeyoung, she pulls her hand away from the sink seeing that it had stopped bleeding. 

Chaeyoung frowns and was about to protest when Jennie had cut her off.

Jennie: Can you go grab me my phone Chaeyoung-ah? I need to talk to Jisoo.

Chaeyoung's face once again morphs into a frown as she glances worriedly at Jennie.

Chaeyoung: Are you sure you're okay unnie?

Jennie nodded and tries to shoot a reassuring smile towards the younger girl.

Jennie: Yeah. I just need to talk to Jisoo real quick.

Chaeyoung gives Jennie one last worried glance before agreeing to her request. 

Now that she was alone inside the kitchen, Jennie couldn't help but feel her paranoia getting the best of her. Her worry increased as she waited for Chaeyoung to return with her phone. 

She looks down at her finger and tries to reassure herself that she was just worrying over nothing. 

But somehow deep down, she knew she was just lying to herself.

 

•••

 

Jisoo finishes up her bowl of noodles and shoots a smile towards Changmin. 

Jisoo: All dome Oppa. You?

The older male scoffs as he showed her his empty bowl.

Changmin: Yah I finished like 15 minutes ago. What took you so long. 

Jisoo shrugs as she releases a soft laugh.

Jisoo: I like to enjoy my food. 

Changmin chuckles at her comment before standing up and nods towards the door.

Changmin: Come on let's get your check up over with.

Jisoo nodded and stands up as well. However her loss of balance quickly grabbed Changmin's attention as he hurries over to catch her.

Fortunately, Jisoo was able to grab onto the table for support before she had managed to fall down. 

Changmin looks at Jisoo as his eyes filled with worry. 

Changmin: How are you feeling Sooya?

Jisoo shook her head as she tries to refocus her blurred vision. She suddenly doubled over as her head erupted in pain. 

Immediately Changmin rushes over and manages to catch her before she could fall over.

Jisoo looks up at Changmin's face dazedly as her mind was blinded by the pain. She tries to focus his face but found it difficult to do so as she could feel herself growing weaker by the second.

Jisoo: Oppa... oppa...

Changmin: I'm right her Sooya. I'm right here. 

Jisoo's eyes glazed over as she felt the pain become too intense for her to handle. With one last grunt of pain, her body had finally succumbed to the darkness.