Chapter 23

Don't Deserve You

 

Jennie woke up with a huge headache. It has been a week since the amusement park, and everything between her and Jisoo had went back to normal with Jennie ignoring Jisoo and giving her the cold shoulder.

Jennie tried to get out of bed, but couldn't bring herself to due to her pounding headache. Groaning, she laid back down on her bed and decided to wait awhile before attempting to stand up again.

After a few moments, Jennie could feel herself starting to get tired. She tried to keep her eyes open, but had ended up falling asleep.

 

•••

 

Jisoo sat in her room, her foot tapping uncontrollably against the floor. 

She was dressed up and was ready to head off to work. She just had to wait for Jennie to leave before she would go. 

It was a regular routine for the CEO, she would wait for Jennie to head off to work first before trailing behind the latter just to make sure she gets to work safely.

Jisoo glanced at her watch and noticed that it was way passed 9:00. Jennie hasn't left the house yet, which was weird because the younger was always on time.

Jisoo decided to go check on Jennie, making sure that nothing had happened.

She knocked on the door and waited for the latter's response, but there was no reply.

Jisoo: Jennie-ah, are you alright?

Jisoo: Jennie-ah!

Jisoo knocked on the door once more, but there was still no response. The CEO decided to open the door to Jennie's room. 

Jisoo's eyes widened as she spotted Jennie lying unconscious on the bed, sweat building up across her face. 

Jisoo: Jennie-ah!

Jisoo rushes over to the latter's side and felt her forehead.

Jisoo: Oh my god Jennie, you have a fever. 

Jisoo took off her coat and began to fix up Jennie's pillow before tucking the younger back in bed, making sure that she was situated comfortably.

She took out her phone and dialed Chaeyoung's number.

Jisoo: Chaeyoung-ah!

Chaeyoung: Unnie, why aren't you here yet?

Jisoo: Jennie has a fever. I can't make it today, can you please cover for me?

Chaeyoung: Yeah of course. Is she okay?

Jisoo: I hope so, I'm gonna go make her some soup right now. Thanks Chaeng.

Chaeyoung: No problem Unnie. Just remember to take your medicine. 

Jisoo: Alright, I'm gonna go now. Bye Chae.

Chaeyoung: Bye Unnie.

Jisoo hung up the phone and rushed outside to make Jennie some soup. It had taken her a whole hour just to make one bowl of soup. But finally, after having failed miserably so many times and cutting all 10 of her fingers, Jisoo had succeeded. 

Painfully, she somehow managed to bring the bowl of soup to Jennie's bedside with her 10 bandaged fingers. It seems like she won't be doing anything with her hands for the next few days.

Sighing, she gently tapped Jennie's shoulder.

Jisoo: Jennie-ah, wake up. You have to eat breakfast.

A few seconds later, the younger girl slowly opened her eyes. The light of the room had slightly blinded Jennie at first, but when her eyes finally adjusted, she was met with Jisoo's worried face hovering over her.

Jennie: Why are you in my room?

Jisoo: You didn't leave for work yet even though it was past 9:00 so I got worried. I came to your room and found you unconscious on the bed.

Jennie groaned and tried but failing miserably to lift herself up. 

Jisoo: What are you doing Jennie, you're sick!

Jennie: I have to go to work, there's so many things at the company I have to get done.

Jisoo: Then it can wait until tomorrow. You are not getting out of this bed unless I think that you are no longer sick. 

Jennie tried to the best of her effort to glare at Jisoo with her tired and droopy eyes.

Jennie: Are you holding me here against my will?

Jisoo crosses her arms across her chest.

Jisoo: Yes. You can hate me all you want, but your health and well being is the upmost important thing to me. So I am not allowing you to step foot out of this bed unless I say so.

Too tired to argue back with Jisoo, Jennie remained quiet much to Jisoo's bewilderment. But then the older had realized that Jennie must've been really sick for her not to argue back against her. 

Jisoo: How are you feeling right now?

Jennie: Like I'm about to die.

Jisoo gazes at the brunette worriedly before moving to help lift her up from the bed.

Jisoo: Come on sit up, I made you some soup.

Jennie stares wide eyed at Jisoo, surprised that the older girl had actually cooked something besides Ramen. 

Jennie: Are you serious? Do you want me to get food poisoning?

Jisoo feigned a hurt expression.

Jisoo: Yah, what do you mean? I can cook a decent meal if I wanted to. Besides, this is the best bowl of soup I have ever made. You're lucky that I had made it especially for you.

Jennie scoffs.

Jennie: I'm flattered.

Jisoo: Whatever, just start eating already so that you can take your medicine. 

Jennie nods in response but found herself too weak to even move, much less lift up a spoon. Seeing this, Jisoo picked up the bowl of soup herself and began to blow on it.

Jisoo: Here let me feed you.

Jennie rolled her eyes.

Jennie: I don't need you to feed me. 

Jisoo: Well then can you feed yourself?

That seemed to have shut Jennie up, and the older girl continued to blow on the soup. Scooping up a spoonful, Jisoo raises it towards Jennie's mouth.

Jisoo: Open up.

The latter begrudgingly opened up and allowed the substance to travel down . She had to admit that the soup Jisoo made wasn't bad, but then again it wasn't a five star rated dish either. 

Jennie glances at the bowl of soup and its contents before noticing Jisoo's bandaged fingers.

Jennie: What happened to your fingers?

Jisoo laughs embarrassingly. 

Jisoo: I-I had cut myself while reading documents last night.

Jennie looks at her unconvincingly.

Jennie: All 10 of your fingers?

Jisoo rubs the nape of her neck awkwardly.

Jisoo: You know how clumsy I am.

Jennie nods in agreement, although she knew that Jisoo can't be that clumsy to cut all of her fingers by just reading documents. 

Glancing back at the bowl of soup she had figured that Jisoo had cut herself while cooking for her.

Jennie softens up at the thought, and allowed her eyes to travel up to look into Jisoo's. Jisoo shifted uncomfortably in her seat before forcing out an awkward smile.

Jisoo: Here, have another bite.

Jisoo continues to feed Jennie the contents within the bowl. A few minutes later, Jennie had already finished eating. 

Jisoo wipes Jennie's mouth in which she gives Jisoo a thankful smile.

Jennie: Thank you for the soup. But you should probably head off to work now.

Jisoo shook her head.

Jisoo: No. I had called Chaeyoung earlier to let her know I wasn't coming.

Jennie furrowed her eyebrows.

Jennie: Why?

Jisoo: You're sick. Someone has to stay and take are of you.

Jennie: Jisoo, you don't ha—

Jisoo: It's fine. Go to bed okay? I'm gonna go wash the dishes.

Begrudgingly, Jennie nodded in compliance. Jisoo tucks her back in bed and gave her a small smile. 

Jisoo: Sleep tight Jendeuk-ah.

Jennie froze up upon hearing the familiar nickname that Jisoo had given her back when they were still dating. Thinking that it had been a force of habit, Jennie let it slip and closes her eyes.

Jisoo silently let herself out of the room and smiled to herself. It's been so long since she's called Jennie by her nickname. 

It sort of felt like nothing has changed between her and Jennie. 

But as Jisoo set the dishes onto the counter, she shook her head to clear away the thoughts, knowing that things between her and Jennie can never return to the way they were before.

Heaving a sigh, Jisoo the faucet and started washing the dishes.

 

•••

 

Jennie gripped tightly onto her passport. Her flight to New Zealand was about to leave in 20 minutes and she couldn't wait to finally board the plane and escape from here.

For the past few days, she had tried her best to erase all the memories and thoughts about Jisoo. But it seems as though the harder she tried, the harder it got.

The pain of her heartbreak was still raw, and she had been crying herself to sleep every single night. 

Hopefully moving to New Zealand would help her forget about the pain. A tear slipped down from her eye, and she hurriedly wipes it away.

She still couldn't believe the fact that Jisoo had betrayed her. 

Jennie knew that this would be something that would scar her for the rest of her life. She knew that she could never trust someone the same way again.

How could she ever believe in love ever again when she had thought that her relationship with Jisoo would last forever.

Jennie took in a deep breath before grabbing her suitcase. She started to walk towards her gate when the sound of Jisoo's voice echoed throughout the airport.

Jisoo: Jennie! Wait!

Jennie turns around to see Jisoo running towards her. The older girl looked much paler than the last time since Jennie had seen her. 

Jisoo was gasping for air, her face contorted in pain as she tried to speak to Jennie.

Jisoo: Jennie-ah please don't go. Please don't leave me.

Jisoo reached for Jennie's hand but the latter quickly pulled away.

Jennie: What are you doing here Jisoo? How did you know that I was here?

Jisoo: Yeri told me.

Jennie cursed under her breath. She should've know that Yeri wouldn't be able to keep shut.

Jisoo took a step towards Jennie.

Jisoo: You can't leave Jennie. Not like this. Please don't leave me.

Jennie: Then what Jisoo? Do you expect me to stay here and live with the constant memory that you cheated on me? That you made a fool out of me when I gave everything to you?

Jisoo: Listen Jennie, I—

"The flight for New Zealand is about to take off in 10 minutes."

Jennie: Whatever. I have to go Jisoo. I really hope that this will be the last time that we'll see each other. 

Jennie started to walk away, but Jisoo had grabbed her hand and held her back.

Jisoo: Please Jennie!

Jennie roughly pulled her arm away and flared at Jisoo.

Jennie: Please just stay out of my life Jisoo!

The younger her heels and walked away. Jisoo stood in her place for a moment before deciding to chase after Jennie.

Suddenly a hand had grabbed onto her's pulling her back.

Jisoo: What the hell?! 

Jisoo turns around to find herself staring face to face with Suho.

Jisoo: O-Oppa... what are you doing here?

Suho: I'd like to ask you the same thing Jisoo. What are you doing outside of the hospital. Your health is in a delicate condition right now! Do you know how worried your parents were when they found out that you had disappeared?!

Jisoo's tears began to fall freely down her face as she tried to pull away from Suho's grip.

Jisoo: I don't care Oppa. I.... I have to go after Jennie. I c-c-can't let her go without t-telling her the truth.... I can't let her leave me!

Suho: You can't tell her anything if you're dead Jisoo! Don't you get it?! You could die right now if you go after her. You need to head back so that we can give you your treatment.

Jisoo: I can't let her leave me...

Suho: And I can't let you die either. I know how much Jennie means to you Jisoo, but you have to think about it. You can't be with her if you die. Think about your parents... they need you.

Jisoo stopped herself from trying to escape from Suho's grasp. She found herself bursting into tears at the thought of letting Jennie go.

But Suho was right, if she stayed with Jennie, she would only end up hurting her even more. 

She can't let that happen. It's better that the latter hates her now, it would be less painful for her once Jisoo is dead.

Suho heaved out sigh, glad that Jisoo was finally listening to him.

Suho: I promise, that once you're all better, I will let you go after Jennie. But right now we have to head back.

Jisoo nodded silently. Her head was suddenly starting to hurt as her vision blurred away.

Not noticing the change in the younger's demeanor, Suho took Jisoo's hand and started to lead her to the car.

Suddenly, after a few steps, Jisoo had felt her knees buckle as she collapsed into Suho's arms.

 

•••

 

"Jennie! Jennie! Wake up!"

Jennie's eyes flew open as she sat up from her bed. She looked around the room before her eyes fell on Jisoo's. 

The older girl's eyes were reflected with worry for Jennie. She had decided to head to bed when she had heard Jennie screaming in her sleep.

Rushing into the younger's room Jisoo had found her thrashing around her bed with tears streaming down from her face and drenched in sweat.

Jennie: W-what happened.

Jisoo released a sigh of relief before sitting down on the bed.

Jisoo: I think you were having a nightmare. Gosh you scared me so much Jennie.

Jennie looked around once more and glanced at the clock, realizing that it was already 9:30 at night.

Jennie: Did I sleep through the whole day?

Jisoo nodded.

Jisoo: Yeah. I tried to wake you up for dinner, but you were so tired I decided to let you sleep.

Jennie nodded silently as she tried to forget about her dream.

Why did she suddenly dream of that day? It was so weird.

Jisoo: How are you feeling right now?

Jennie snapped out of her thoughts and blinked rapidly as she tried to clear her thoughts.

Jennie: I feel a little bit better. But I'm still sort of tired.

Jisoo: Okay then. Let's get you back to bed.

Jennie nodded and laid back down. Jisoo grabbed the a blanket and placed it over Jennie, making sure that she was warm and tucked in.

Jisoo: If you need anything, just call me. Alright?

Jennie nodded in which Jisoo returned her a gentle smile. As Jisoo made her way towards the door, she stopped for a second to stare at Jennie before turning back around to leave the room. 

Hearing a faint whisper from the younger, Jisoo quickly turned her head back towards Jennie.

Jennie: Goodnight Chu~.

Jisoo didn't know if she had heard Jennie correctly. But the younger had clearly called her by her nickname. The nickname that had always sounded so melodious whenever it came out of Jennie's mouth.

Jisoo smiles to herself before stepping out of the room.

Jisoo: Goodnight Jendeuk-ah.

 

•••

 

The next day, Jennie woke up feeling much better than she had the day before. 

She sat up from her bed and stretched her limbs. Glancing around the room, she notices Jisoo sleeping on a chair. 

Jennie quietly got up while trying not to wake the latter up.

She grabbed her blanket and placed it over Jisoo. Feeling the movement, Jisoo slowly opens her eyes to find Jennie hovering over her while trying to fix the blanket.

As Jennie glances back to look at Jisoo's face, she notices that the older girl was already awake. 

The 2 remained still as they got lost into each other's eyes. Regaining her composure, Jennie broke eye contact and quickly stood up.

Jennie: D-did you stay here the whole night.

Jisoo: Y-yeah.

Jennie: Why?

Jisoo shrugged.

Jisoo: I was worried that you might have another nightmare. Or that you would wake up in the middle of the night and need something but would end up being too weak to get out of bed.

Jennie: Thanks. For everything I mean. You really didn't have to.

Jisoo smiles softly.

Jisoo: It's fine Jennie. We're not married for nothing you know.

Jisoo's words put the room into a sour atmosphere. Neither girl decided to make a move or even make a sound.

After a few seconds, Jisoo stood up abruptly and made her way towards the door.

Jisoo: I'm g-gonna go get r-ready for work.

Snapping out of her trance, Jennie nodded quickly in agreement.

Jennie: Y-yeah, me t-too.

At Jennie's reply, Jisoo opened the door and let herself out of the room.

Jennie however remained glued to her spot, and found herself staring at the door and lost into her thoughts.