Chapter 14

Don't Deserve You

 

Chaeyoung was in the hospital room with Jisoo and was about to leave for a date with Lisa when the younger girl had called her to cancel their date.

After Lisa had explained everything to her, Chaeyoung had hung up the phone and sat down besides Jisoo, setting down her purse. 

Jisoo stared at Chaeyoung in confusion.

Jisoo: What happened? Aren't you going on your date?

Chaeyoung shook her head.

Chaeyoung: Something came up with Lisa's friend, so she has to take care of her.

Jisoo: Ahhh~

Jisoo turned and peaked a look at Chaeyoung's pouting face. Smiling to herself she nudged her best friend.

Jisoo: Yah, there's always next time. Besides wouldn't you rather spend time with me?

Jisoo lifted her eyebrows teasingly, causing a giggle to erupt from the younger girl. Chaeyoung lightly shoved Jisoo in which she feigned to be hurt.

Jisoo: Park Chaeyoung, how can you do that to me, I'm still weak you know? Oh my god... I think... I think I'm dying. I can see the light...

Chaeyoung laughed even more and softly punched Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: Unnie don't joke about that kind of stuff.

Jisoo repositioned herself on the bed and stared at Chaeyoung. Seeing that the younger was still sad, Jisoo suddenly thought of an idea to cheer her up.

Jisoo: How about you let me take you on a date today Chaeyoung-ah?

Chaeyoung: Unnie, have you forgotten that you're still a patient sitting inside a hospital?

Jisoo: Hey, there's only a few more days left before I'm realeased. Besides, I'm feeling all better now. If we both ask nicely, maybe Changmin Oppa will let me got out.

Chaeyoung shook her head.

Chaeyoung: You're not going anywhere Unnie. What if something happens to you while we're out?

Jisoo: Yah, Oppa said that my condition only acts up if I let myself get too stressed or emotional, which is highly unlikely. So I doubt anything will happen to me Chaeng.

Chaeyoung: He also said that it would act up when you exert too much energy, and we both know how overly energetic you are. I'm not gonna take the risk Unnie. 

Jisoo started poking Chaeyoung and pulled at the younger's sleeve as if she was a 5 year old who wanted something.

Jisoo: Chaeyoung-ah~ come on. I'm all better... Look...

Jisoo got up from her bed and started jumping.

Jisoo: ...I can even jump on the bed without getting tired.

Chaeyoung: Yah, Unnie get down from there, you're gonna get us yelled at. This is what I mean when I say that you're overly energetic.

Jisoo pouted at the younger girl before sitting back down.

Jisoo: Come on Chaeng think about it. When was the last time the two of us have even gone out together?

Chaeyoung gave it thought and realized that Jisoo was right. It's been a while since the two have even hung out, much less gone out together. 

She looked back at Jisoo's pouting face and knew that she had lost the argument.

Chaeyoung: I hate it when you pout.

Jisoo wiggled her eyebrows jokingly at her.

Jisoo: You just hate it because you can't resist it. I know you secretly love my pout Chaeyoung-ah.

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes but still smiled at Jisoo, knowing that her friend was right. She got up from her seat and gestured towards the door.

Chaeyoung: Stay here, I'll go find Changmin oppa and ask him.

Changmin: Ask me what?

The 2 girls turned to the new voice in the room. Changmin stood by the doorframe of the doorway while leaning against the wall.

Jisoo glanced at Chaeyoung before speaking.

Jisoo: Well... Since Chaeyoung's date with Lisa got cancelled today and the 2 of us haven't spent anytime together lately, we were wondering if you would allow me to take Chaeyoung out on a date.

Changmin crossed his arms across his chest, unsure about the suggestion.

Changmin: I don't know Jisoo. I mean a few days ago---

Before Changmin could finish his sentence, he was interrupted by Jisoo.

Jisoo: Oppa please.

Changmin looked down at Jisoo's pouting face and then turned to face Chaeyoung, lifting his eyebrow at her.

Changmin: And you agree with this?

Chaeyoung shrugged.

Chaeyoung: I think unnie deserves some fresh air outside these hospital walls oppa. Besides she's been very good lately, following all of your instructions and remaining inside the hospital without complaining of any sort. I think it'll be fine.

Changmin eyed Jisoo knowingly in which she returned with a pleading look. Changmin heaved a sigh before smiling at the latter.

Changmin: Fine.

Jisoo: Ppoong!

Jisoo jumped off her bed excitedly and rushed towards the closet to grab her clothes.

Changmin: But...

The latter stopped in her tracks and looked at Changmin.

Changmin: No chicken.

Jisoo: B-but... No chicken?

Changmin shook his head.

Although she was disappointed at the fact that she wasn't allowed to eat any chicken, Jisoo didn't allow it to ruin her mood and went to change out of her hospital clothes.

While she was changing, Changmin turned to face Chaeyoung and gave her a pleading look.

Changmin: Please take care of her Chaeyoung-ah. You know how she is.

Chaeyoung laughed. 

Chaeyoung: Of course Oppa. I know her all too well.

 

•••

 

The 2 girls went to go see a movie and then decided to grab some coffee after.

It's been awhile since both Jisoo and Chaeyoung have spent any real quality time together, so they had spent the whole 2 hours chatting away at the café.

Jisoo: And do you remember that time where we pranked Suho Oppa into thinking that your house was haunted?

Chaeyoung laughed while nodding along.

Chaeyoung: I actually felt bad for him Unnie. You looked like an actual ghost in that outfit. I mean if I wasn't in on the prank I would've believed it myself.

Jisoo: We honestly got him so good. At one point I thought that he was gonna pee his pants.

Chaeyoung: I'll always remember his face when you jumped onto his back.

The 2 girls laughed until they had tears streaming down their faces from laughing so hard. After they finally settled down, Chaeyoung took a sip of her coffee. Jisoo glanced at the younger girl, hesitating to tell her something. A few moments after, she decided to tell Chaeyoung what had been on her mind.

Jisoo: Chaeyoung-ah, I have something to tell you...

Chaeyoung set down her mug and turned to look at Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: What is it unnie? Are you feeling sick?

Jisoo shook her head.

Jisoo: No, it's not about my illness.

Chaeyoung cocked her head to the side, a confused expression was displayed across her face.

Chaeyoung: Then what is it?

Jisoo took a deep breath before speaking rapidly, giving the latter no time to process the response.

Jisoo: I'mgettingmarriedtoJennie.

Chaeyoung: Wait unnie I couldn't get that. Can you please repeat it what more time?

Jisoo took in a breath once more before locking her eyes with Chaeyoung's.

Jisoo: I'm... getting married... to... Jennie.

Chaeyoung stared at Jisoo as if she had just spoken a different language. Chaeyoung's eyes were wide open, and she had to restrain herself from shouting.

Chaeyoung: I don't get it unnie. What do you mean by "getting married to Jennie." Like when, where, or how? I mean... doesn't she still hate you?

She paused a second before continuing.

Chaeyoung: Did you finally tell her the truth?

Jisoo shook her head.

Jisoo: Okay, so right now I'm gonna tell you what happened, but you have to promise me that you won't get mad at me.

Chaeyoung: Unnie, why would I be mad at you?

Jisoo: Just promise me Chaeyoung-ah.

Chaeyoung eyes her suspiciously before nodding in agreement.

Chaeyoung: Okay. I promise I won't be mad.

Jisoo took a deep breath and looked into Chaeyoung's eyes.

Jisoo: So a few days ago... I had gone out of the hospital.

Chaeyoung: Unnie!

The older girl flinched.

Jisoo: Yah, you promised me.

Chaeyoung calmed down and tried to retain her anger at Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: You snuck out?

Jisoo shook her head.

Jisoo: I asked Changmin Oppa first and got his approval.

Chaeyoung: Wait Oppa knew? Why didn't you guys tell me?

Jisoo: Because I knew you would say no.

Chaeyoung: It's for your own good Unnie.

Jisoo waved her off.

Jisoo: I'm okay though. Besides, it was only for a few hours so that I could get some fresh air.

Chaeyoung nodded and relaxed in her seat. But then her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. 

Chaeyoung: Wait, what does this have to do with you marrying Jennie?

Jisoo: Well while I was out, I ran into Mr. Kim, Jennie's father....

 

•••

 

Jennie sat in Lisa's living room as the younger was making her a cup of hot cocoa. It gave her time to calm down and gather her thoughts.

Five minutes later, Lisa came back with 2 cups of hot cocoa. She handed Jennie her cup before settling down on the couch besides the older girl.

Jennie: Sorry for ruining your date.

Lisa: It's fine Unnie. Besides, that's not important right now.

Jennie nodded to herself and remained quiet. Lisa stared at her friend awhile before deciding to speak up.

Lisa: Tell me what's wrong Unnie. I thought you were having dinner with your parents?

Jennie took a sip from her cocoa and set it down before replying.

Jennie: I was.

Lisa: Then what happened?

Jennie: They... they want me to get married.

Lisa furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

Lisa: Isn't that a good thing? Why are you upset?
Does Hanbin Oppa not want to?

Jennie shook her head.

Jennie: It's none of that.

Lisa stayed quiet and waited for Jennie to explain.

Jennie: T-they want me to marry my ex.

Lisa shook her head, unsure if whether she had heard the older correctly.

Lisa: Wait, your ex? As in the person who had cheated on you 4 years ago?

Jennie could only nod.

Lisa: What?! Why would they make you do that? They know what she did to you!

Jennie: I don't know Lisa. But... but I told them I would think about it.

Lisa did a double take and stared wide eyed at Jennie.

Lisa: Unnie are you serious?! Why?!

Jennie sighed.

Jennie: I-I don't know Lisa... I just don't want to disappoint my parents. They've done so much for me... And I don't know why, but for some reason it seemed like they didn't just want me to marry her, but they needed me to.

Lisa shook her head. 

Lisa: But still... it's your happiness Unnie. You can't just throw it away... your parents can't do that to you.

Jennie: They-they said that it would only be for 2 years.

Lisa: What would only be for 2 years?

Jennie: The marriage. And after that, they said that if I want to, then I could file a divorce.

Lisa massaged the area between her eyes.

Lisa: Wait that doesn't even make sense. Why would they just have you marry for 2 years, and then let you file a divorce?

Jennie: I'm not sure.

Lisa: What about Oppa?

Jennie: I...I'm not sure.

The 2 stayed silent afterwards. A few moments later, Lisa looked at Jennie's face and spoke up.

Lisa: So are you gonna do it Unnie?

Jennie remained silent, but then nodded a few moments after. Lisa silently counted to 3 in her head, knowing that her friend was about to break down any moment now.

And just as she expected, rivers of tears streamed down Jennie's face just after she had finished counting. Lisa rushed over and wrapped her arms around the older girl.

Lisa: Shhh~ it's okay Unnie, I'm here. Just cry it all out... Everything will be okay.

Lisa kissed Jennie's forehead as Jennie continued to cry.

Lisa: We'll get through this together. I'll protect you and be by your side the whole time. It's all gonna be okay.