Chapter 18

Don't Deserve You

 

Jisoo was sitting in her room, thinking about the past few days' events.

Today she was supposed to go check out some venues with Chaeyoung. She had offered Jennie to pick one instead but the latter passed on the decision to Jisoo.

Jennie's parents have decided to have the wedding in 2 weeks time, meaning that the couple would have a lot to do before the set date.

There were invitations to be sent out, cakes to be tasted, dress shopping, etc., and neither Jisoo nor Jennie knew how they were gonna get it all done in just 2 weeks.

Jisoo made a mental note to call Suho and personally invite him herself. 

Despite the misunderstanding 4 years ago between the 3 of them, Suho has always been sort of a brother figure to Jisoo. 

And even though this marriage was arranged, she still wants the older boy to be present on her special day. Jisoo looked out the window and placed her hand on her chest, feeling the rhythm of her heartbeat. To think about how much she had been through these past years, she herself was surprised to know that this weak heart of hers was able to keep her alive until now.

Sometimes the CEO wonders if it's the time to finally let go and stop fighting, to stop being a burden to everyone around her. 

Chaeyoung: Unnie, Are you ready?

Jisoo snapped out of her thoughts at the sound of Chaeyoung's voice. 

Jisoo: I'm in my room!

A few moments later, Chaeyoung's head popped into Jisoo's room. The younger let herself in and shut the door behind her.

Chaeyoung: Are you ready Unnie?

Jisoo: Yeah, just let me grab my purse.

Chaeyoung nodded. 

As Jisoo went to grab her purse, Chaeyoung suddenly recalled something.

Chaeyoung: Have you taken your medicine Unnie?

Shooting the younger an embarrassed look, Jisoo shook her head.

Jisoo: Oh shoot, I forgot.

Chaeyoung shook her head and walked over to the table to grab Jisoo her medicine.

Chaeyoung: How many times do I have to tell you to take care of your health Unnie?

Jisoo: I'm sorry Chaeng, there's just been so much happening I totally forgot.

Chaeyoung let out a sigh as she approached her friend.

Chaeyoung: Why don't you ever take care of yourself?

Chaeyoung handed Jisoo her medicine and water, but the latter only stared at the 2 pills that  now lay on the palm of her hand.

Jisoo: What's the point of drinking these pills when I'm going to die anyway?

Chaeyoung shot the older a worried look.

Chaeyoung: Unnie what are you talking about? Stop thinking that way because you are going to be fine okay? Suho oppa--

Jisoo: Suho oppa what Chaeyoung-ah? I know that you guys are trying to be positive about this but we have to face reality. There is still no word from the states that oppa had convinced the family to give us the heart... we're not even sure if the heart is even compatible with my blood type...

Chaeyoung: So what? So what if we haven't heard from oppa? So what if we don't know if the heart is compatible with your blood? Who cares? All we care about, is that you are okay Jisoo unnie. The odds may not be on our side, but I'm not willing to give up... not now, not ever. And I'm sure as hell that Suho oppa and Changmin oppa won't give up either. But all of this would be for nothing if you decide to give up unnie. Which is why we need you to keep fighting.

Jisoo heaved out a tired sigh. 

Jisoo: I-I just feel so lost these days Chaeng, nothing ever seems to go right anymore. I decided to marry Jennie in order to protect her, but yet I'm the one separating her  from the man that she loves. I offered to pay for Jaehyun's hospital fees and surgery, but what's the point if there's no heart to operate on? I want to keep fighting... for you, for Changmin oppa, for Suho oppa... for Jennie.... But it seems that the days that I'm still alive are the days that I hurt you guys even more. You guys are always stressing over my illness day by day, you've all been searching nonstop for 4 years for a donor for my heart... and Jennie, if I disappear then she would finally have me out of her life for good. And she'll be able to be with Hanbin... I'm just a burden to all of you.

Chaeyoung wiped the tears that had fallen down her face.

Chaeyoung: So this is what you've been thinking? That you're a burden to us? 

She hated the fact that Jisoo thought of herself as a burden to everyone around her. The older girl is the most kind-hearted person she knows. Even though it seems as if the universe is against her, the latter had always somehow managed to fight through every single obstacle thrown her way. 

Seeing her friend like this only made Chaeyoung's heartache. Jisoo remained quiet, not answering Chaeyoung's questions. But the younger girl knew from the pit of her stomach that she was right. 

That despite Jisoo's strong-willed nature and cheerful smile, it was all just a facade in order to hide what she has always thought of herself. Chaeyoung approached the older and placed her hands on top of Jisoo's shoulders.

Chaeyoung: You are not a burden Kim Jisoo. You hear me? You are my best friend, my sister. And if you think that I'm just gonna let you die, then you are out of your mind. I would do anything, if it means that you would get to live and remain by my side. 

At sound of Chaeyoung's words, Jisoo realizes that she was being selfish. Selfish for placing her own worries on Chaeyoung. The younger shouldn't be wasting her time worrying about Jisoo, she has her own life to live. 

Pushing away her thoughts, Jisoo plastered a smile on her face.

Jisoo: You're right Chaeyoung-ah, what on Earth was I thinking? 

Faking a laugh, Jisoo pretended to act like nothing had happened.

Jisoo: Come on, we should get going before the shops start closing.

Chaeyoung on the other hand was still on edge. There was no way that Jisoo would just forget about everything. She knew that the older girl was still harboring these feelings within her heart and had only brushed them aside for Chaeyoung's sake.

But seeing how the older girl insisted on pretending that everything was normal, Chaeyoung could only give in to her silent plea. She smiled to Jisoo and followed her out of the room, making a mental note to herself to pay more attention to the friend's health.

 

•••

 

Jennie made her way through the airport. Today was the day that Lisa would return from her business trip and Jennie just couldn't wait to see her best friend again.

Throughout the years, Lisa and her have developed a sister-like bond, spending one day without the younger was already unbearable for Jennie. 

Lisa being away for 1 whole week was definitely a whole week of absolute torture. 

Not to mention the fact that she had to go through wedding preparations with none other than Jisoo and her red headed friend who wouldn't stop throwing her dirty looks every time they meet.

Jennie glanced at her watch. It was 10:30 am, Lisa should've been out about 10 minutes ago. Frowning, Jennie continued to wander around the airport looking for the younger. 

Lisa: Jennie Unnie!

Jennie turned around and saw the blonde haired girl making her way over. A large smile formed across Jennie's face as she rushed over to Lisa and threw her arms around the taller girl.

Jennie: Welcome back Lisa!

Lisa chuckled.

Lisa: Did you really miss me that much Unnie?

Quickly pulling away, Jennie tried to regain her composure. If Lisa knew that Jennie had actually missed her, the the CEO would never hear the end of it.

Jennie: Of course not. Life was peaceful for once without you annoying me all the time.

Lisa smirked teasingly.

Lisa: Oh really? Hmmm, that's so odd. I could've sworn that your last Instagram story was a picture of the 2 of us, with the caption that said, "Missing my Lily."

Jennie cleared .

Jennie: I don't know what you're talking about.

Lisa shook her head and laughed at the older girl.

Lisa: Keep denying all you want Unnie, I know you missed me.

Jennie allowed herself to break into a smile. Who was she kidding with, there was no hiding it from Lisa now. 

Jennie: Fine. I guess I did miss you every now and then.

Lisa smiled.

Lisa: I missed you too Unnie. But come on, let's go home. I have a lot of things I wanna ask you about.

 

•••

 

As soon as the 2 girls arrived at Lisa's house, Lisa immediately hopped onto the couch in her living room and stretched out her tired limbs.

Lisa: Ahh~, it feels good to finally be home.

Jennie came in a few seconds after her and closed the door.

Jennie: You know you still have luggage outside right?

Lisa: I'm too tired for that right now, let's worry about that later.

Jennie chuckled at her friend and walked over to sit with her.

Jennie: Yah, move your long as legs.

Lisa obliged and placed her legs on top of the older's lap as soon as she sat down.

Lisa: How are things these days Unnie? Are you done with the wedding preparations?

Jennie sighed.

Jennie: At first I still couldn't believe that we were getting married. Like the idea was just absurd... While you were gone, we had announced the engagement to everyone at the opening ceremony and.... you probably know the rest since it was released on every news website and magazine in Korea.

Lisa shook her head.

Lisa: Actually, I didn't.

Jennie's face was painted with confusion, so Lisa elaborated her answer.

Lisa: On this trip, I wasn't exactly allowed to use my phone or any type of technology at all, basically modern day stuff. With that being said I currently have no idea of what has been going on the past few weeks.

Jennie stares at Lisa in bewilderment.

Jennie: So you're telling me that during the week that you were away, you had no contact at all to any type of technology?

Lisa nodded. 

Lisa: At first it was difficult, but then I sorta got used to it.

Jennie: That explains why you never answered my calls or texts.... but wait, how did you see my Instagram story then?

Lisa laughed.

Lisa: The first thing I did as I got off the plane was turn on my phone, and your notification was the first thing I saw so clicked on it.

Jennie: That makes sense.

Lisa: Enough about that. Tell me about what had happened at the ceremony.

Jennie: Well, after we had announced the engagement to everyone... I had found out that our companies are going to be joined together after our marriage.

Lisa: What? Joined together?! Daebak, Unnie that... that's big news! Dream is like one of the biggest corporations in Asia! 

Jennie: But that's not the problem Lisa. My parents had made the decision without telling me about it. Don't you think I deserved to know?

Lisa shrugged.

Lisa: It is kind of sudden, but I'm sure they had a good reason Unnie. Don't sit on it too much.

Jennie: I know, you're probably right.

Lisa: Of course I am. Oh, by the way, you never uh.. really told me what the name of your ex was. 

Jennie: Really?

Lisa scratched her nape nervously.

Lisa: It was always kind of like forbidden to even speak about your ex, so I never asked and you never bothered to tell me.

Jennie: Wow, I never realized this before. 

Lifting herself up from the couch, Lisa nudged Jennie's arm.

Lisa: As your best friend I think I deserve to know the name of your soon to be bride don't you think?

Jennie shot Lisa a glare, in which the latter quickly apologized.

Jennie: Her name is Jisoo.

Lisa did a double take. She shook her head and rubbed her ears, making sure that she had heard Jennie right.

Lisa: J-Jisoo you said?

Jennie nodded, perplexed as to why the younger was so shocked.

Jennie: Is everything okay?

Lisa stayed quiet, immersed deep into her thoughts.

'Jisoo? That can't be true. Unnie isn't that kind of person.'

Jennie: Lisa...

'No, no... it's probably not the same person. I'm thinking too much. Jisoo is a common name, it could be anyone.'

'Besides, she knew what type of person Chaeyoung is, and she isn't who would be friends with a person like that.'

Jennie: Lisa, are you okay?

'Yeah, I'm just overthinking everything. It can't be Jisoo unnie.'

Jennie: Lisa!

Lisa snapped out of her thoughts.

Lisa: Did you say something Unnie?

Jennie stared at Lisa incredulously.

Jennie: Yeah, I was trying to get your attention for the past few minutes. 

Lisa: Sorry unnie, I must've been too immersed into my thoughts to hear you.

Jennie: Yah, how can you be so focused to the point that you completely ignore me? What were you thinking about anyway?

Lisa: It's nothing unnie. The name of your ex is the same as someone I know, so I thought that they were the same person.

Jennie: Oh ok. But I doubt it; I mean Jisoo is a pretty common name.

Lisa nodded in agreement.

Lisa: I also came to that conclusion. Anyway, have you sent out all the invitations yet? 

Jennie: Yeah, I actually just finished them yesterday. 

Lisa: What about your wedding dress? Have you bought it?

Jennie shook her head.

Jennie: My mom wanted me to go with Jisoo. 

Lisa: So when are you planning to do that?

Jennie: Tomorrow I think.

Suddenly Lisa stood up from her seat, startling Jennie in the process.

Lisa: Come on Unnie, let's go.

Jennie: Go where?

Lisa: Somewhere, I'm not sure yet. I just got back and I want to spend some time with my best friend, but since you're busy tomorrow we'll just have to hang out today.

Jennie smiled at the younger girl before rising from her seat.

Jennie: Let's get going then.