Chapter 28

Don't Deserve You

 

Chaeyoung sat by Jisoo's bedside as she held onto her best friend's hand. 

 

It has been a whole week, and yet the older girl still hasn't woken up. 

 

Despite Suho and Changmin's reassurances that her body was just recuperating, Chaeyoung was still worried.

 

How much longer was Jisoo gonna be stuck like this?

 

How much longer is she gonna be recuperating? 

 

All Chaeyoung wanted was for her best friend to wake up safe and sound. To come back and be the Kim Jisoo that everyone knows and loves. 

 

The girl who always had a smile one her and cared for everyone around her despite the burdens she carried.

 

The burdens that she carried alone.

 

Stray tears slowly makes its way down from Chaeyoung's eyes as she continues to stare at her best friend.

 

She burys her head into Jisoo's arm when she suddenly heard the sound of the door creaking open.

 

Looking up, she sees Soojoo making her way into the room. She gives the older girl a small smile as she comes to sit on the other side of Jisoo's bed.

 

Soojoo: Hey Chaeyoung. 

 

Chaeyoung raises her hand to wipe away her tears.

 

Chaeyoung: You're here early today Unnie.

 

Soojoo shrugs her shoulders. 

 

Soojoo: I figured you must be tired, so I came early so that you can head home and rest.

 

Chaeyoung: You didn't have to do that Unnie.

 

Soojoo: It's fine Chae. I don't mind.

 

The older takes a look at Jisoo before turning back at Chaeyoung.

 

Soojoo: How is she?

 

Another tear slips from Chaeyoung's eye, but she quickly brushes it away.

 

Chaeyoung: The same. 

 

Soojoo took another worried glance at Jisoo.

 

Soojoo: No progress at all?

 

Chaeyoung shakes her head.

 

Soojoo: And what did the Oppas say?

 

Chaeyoung: That she's recuperating.

 

Soojoo releases a sigh as she turns back to look at Jisoo. Reaching forward, she brushes a strand of hair away from the latter's face.

 

Soojoo: I'm sure she'll wake up soon Chaeyoung-ah. Remember that Changmin Oppa said that she had a lot of blood. Just give her some time.

 

Chaeyoung nodded.

 

Chaeyoung: She can take as much time as she needs as long as she comes back to us safe and sound.

 

•••

 

Jisoo woke up to feel that someone was holding her hand. Looking to her right, she saw Jaehyun's face staring down at her.

 

The younger's face brightens at the sight of Jisoo's awakening.

 

Jaehyun: Noona! You finally woke up!

 

Jisoo tries to smile at him, but the mask on her face had made it difficult. In an instant, Suho, Changmin, and Chaeyoung were all by her bedside.

 

Suho: Welcome back, Sooya!

 

Chaeyoung: Unnie, you're awake!

 

Changmin: It's great to have you back Jisoo!

 

Jisoo's heart warms up at the sight of seeing her best friends again. Changmin moved on to examine her before asking her questions about how she was feeling.

 

She was allowed to take her mask off since her breathing had returned to normal during the time that she had been unconscious.

 

Jisoo's awakening had shifted the mood of the entire hospital room. The brooding cloud that had hung over the room for the past week had dissipated. 

 

Everyone was in high spirits, their days of little to no sleep were completely forgotten. 

 

Jaehyun: Noona, we're twins now! We both got heart transplants!

 

Jisoo chuckles at the younger boy.

 

Jisoo: That's great Jae. I couldn't have asked for a better twin.

 

Jaehyun's smile brightens at Jisoo's words.

 

Jaehyun: Noona, Dr. Shim had told me that I was allowed to be your doctor once you wake up.

 

Jisoo: My Doctor?

 

Jisoo stares at him puzzledly before turning towards Changmin for clarification.

 

The older boy laughed and shook his head before answering.

 

Changmin: I had left him in charge of monitoring your health. Which includes eating, exercising, and making sure you are always in a happy mood.

 

Jisoo: Wow. 

 

Chaeyoung smiles and grabs Jisoo's free hand.

 

Chaeyoung: I'm glad you're finally awake Unnie. 

 

Jisoo smiled.

 

Jisoo: I bet you were stressing and worrying over everything for the past few days haven't you?

 

Chaeyoung: What? Unnie, of course not.

 

Suho let out a laugh and was followed by Changmin. Jisoo gave the younger girl an amused smile. Chaeyoung rolled her eyes before deciding to give in.

 

Chaeyoung: Fine, I was stressing a little.

 

Suho: A little?

 

Changmin: More like overreacting. Even though we told her that you were fine.

 

Chaeyoung playfully slaps the older boy's shoulder.

 

Chaeyoung: Oppa, I wasn't even overreacting.

 

Suho raises his eyebrow and looks at the younger with scrutiny.

 

Suho: Really Chaeng? You literally gave Changmin Hyung and I, a lecture yesterday about how we should check up more on Jisoo when she was perfectly fine.

 

Changmin: Not to mention she had argued with one of my nurses just for adjusting your pillow Jisoo. Talk about uptight and bossy. Tsk, tsk.

 

Jisoo bursts out in laughter as Chaeyoung's face turns red. Jaehyun was trying to contain his laughter by placing both hands over his mouth. However, after a few seconds of struggling, he ended up breaking into a fit of giggles.

 

Chaeyoung scowls.

 

Chaeyoung: Unnie~ Jaehyun-ah, stop laughing! Why are you laughing, I was just worried?

 

Jaehyun pauses a moment and clears his throat, before standing up to impersonate Chaeyoung.

 

Jaehyun: Gosh, why are you fixing her pillow?! Unnie will be uncomfortable! Do you know how to do your job?! What kind of nurse are you?! Jisoo unnie needs to be comfortable!

 

Everyone in the room bursted into another fit of laughter at Jaehyun's impersonation. Chaeyoung on the other hand was sulking by herself. 

 

However, as she turns to see Jisoo laughing happily, she smiles and allows herself laugh along, glad that her friend had finally come back to her.

 

•••

 

That afternoon, Jisoo was reading in her room while Jaehyun was quietly coloring on the couch. She suddenly felt hungry and glanced at Jaehyun.

 

Jisoo: Jaehyun-ah!

 

The younger stopped coloring and turns to look at her.

 

Jaehyun: Do you need anything Noona?

 

Jisoo smiles and waves him over. Jaehyun lifts himself up and walks towards Jisoo's bedside. 

 

Jisoo: Do you wanna order some chicken with me?

 

The younger's face brightens up at the sound of chicken.

 

Jaehyun: I want chicken!

 

Jisoo smiles and nods enthusiastically. 

 

Jisoo: Alright, grab me my phone so I can order it real quick.

 

Jaehyun reaches over to the table to grab Jisoo's phone and handed it to her. 

 

However, just as she was about to dial the phone number, Jaehyun had snatched the phone from her hand. Jisoo furrows her eyebrows in confusion.

 

Jisoo: What's the matter Hyunnie?

 

Jaehyun: I just remembered that you're not supposed to have chicken Noona. It's not healthy.

 

Jisoo laughs at the younger's sudden seriousness.

 

Jisoo: Come on Jaehyun-ah, stop playing around. Let me order my chicken.

 

Jaehyun: No chicken.

 

Jisoo rolls her eyes and holds out her hand.

 

Jisoo: Come on Hyun-ah, give me the phone. 

 

Jaehyun cradles the device closer towards his chest and shakes his head in defiance. 

 

Jaehyun: No chicken, means no chicken. You should eat food from the hospital.

 

Jisoo pouts and closes her eyes in exasperation. 

 

Jisoo: But hospital food isn't good Jae~ Please~ Just this once, I promise. I need to have chicken~

 

Jaehyun sticks out his pointer finger at wiggles it in front of Jisoo's face.

 

Jaehyun: Nope. As your doctor, it is my job to keep you healthy.

 

Jisoo huffed out a breath and crosses her arms in annoyance. 

 

Jisoo: You're not even a real doctor.

 

Jaehyun: Am too. Dr. Shim had told me himself that I am to be your doctor.

 

Jisoo leans back in her bed, pretending to be mad at the latter.

 

Jisoo: Whatever, you're a big meanie.

 

Jaehyun giggles at her response.

 

Jaehyun: You're so funny Noona.

 

Jisoo huffs out another breath before spotting the hospital phone at the corner of the table. She reaches over to grab it when Jaehyun noticed what she was trying to do. Rushing over, he unplugs the phone, and takes it with him as well.

 

Jaehyun: No chicken. 

 

Jisoo stares at his small figure as he made his way back to the couch. 

 

Jisoo: Aish this kid. You're no fun.

 

The younger boy ignores her comment as he places the phones into his backpack before returning to his coloring book, leaving Jisoo to stare at him in bewilderment.

 

•••

 

Chaeyoung makes her way into Jisoo's hospital room and saw that the older girl had a pout on her face as she sat on the bed with her arms crossed. Confused, Chaeyoung turns to look at Jaehyun who seems to be contently coloring inside his coloring book.

 

Letting herself in, she clears in order to alert that she was inside.

 

Both Jisoo and Jaehyun had turned towards her direction as she made her way towards Jisoo's bed. 

 

Chaeyoung: Why do you look so upset unnie?

 

Jisoo's pout remains evident on her face as she nudges towards Jaehyun.

 

Jisoo: Ask the little rice ball.

 

Chaeyoung lifts her eyebrow before turning to look at Jaehyun. The young boy only shrugged his shoulder before making his way over towards her. She lifts him onto her lap as she encourages him to tell her what had happened.

 

Jaehyun: Well, as Jisoo noona's doctor, you should expect me to be taking care of her right?

 

Chaeyoung lets out a soft chuckle before nodding in agreement.

 

Chaeyoung: Of course.

 

Jaehyun: So as Noona's doctor, I have to make sure that she is eating healthy. But noona wanted to order chicken, which is not a healthy food.

 

Chaeyoung shifts her eyes towards Jisoo's direction, and shoots the older girl a glare. 

 

Chaeyoung: Go on Hyun-ah.

 

Jaehyun: I wanted to protect noona's health, so when she had called the chicken store, I took away her phone. But then noona was about to reach for the hospital phone, so I had to take that away too.

 

Chaeyoung releases a giggle. 

 

Chaeyoung: And that's why she's mad?

 

Jaehyun nodded.

 

Jaehyun: She hasn't talked to me since.

 

Chaeyoung laughs again as she ruffles the younger boy's hair.

 

Chaeyoung: Alright I understand. Just let me talk to her Jae.

 

Jaehyun smiles brightly before jumping off Chaeyoung's lap and rushes back towards the couch. Chaeyoung smiles adoringly at him before turning back to look at Jisoo.

 

Chaeyoung: Unnie. Stop being a child, Jaehyun was just doing his job.

 

Jisoo turns around and stares at Chaeyoung incredulously.

 

Jisoo: You're siding with that little rice ball over me?!

 

Chaeyoung shakes her head laughs at her friend. 

 

Chaeyoung: That little rice ball has more common sense than you do unnie. You're barely recovering, what makes you think that eating chicken is a good idea. 

 

Jisoo's eyes water up as she pouted at the younger girl.

 

Jisoo: But I miss it so much Chaengie.

 

Chaeyoung rolls her eyes.

 

Chaeyoung: How about this, once you're all better and recovered, I will take you to go eat chicken to make up for your lost time. 

 

Jisoo raises her eyebrow unsurely.

 

Jisoo: For a whole week?

 

Chaeyoung: Unnie, remember what Changmin oppa had said. In order to make sure that the heart doesn't reject your body, you have to eat healthy from now on. One week is too much.

 

Jisoo pouted as she cutely scrunches her eyes together as she weighed the idea in her head. Chaeyoung smiles as she looked her friend's adorable face. After a few moments, Jisoo turns back to Chaeyoung and gives the younger girl a nod.

 

Jisoo: Fine. But, you better not go back on your promise Chaeng-ah.

 

Chaeyoung: I promise unnie.

 

Jisoo: Pinky promise.

 

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes but had still reached over to hook her pinky with Jisoo's.

 

Jisoo seemed content with the reassurance. Leaning back in her bed, she glances over at Jaehyun before scrunching her face together again.

 

Jisoo: But that little rice ball doesn't get to have any of my chicken.

 

At the mention of his name, Jaehyun turns around and stuck his tongue out at Jisoo. The older girl scoffs unbelievably before turning towards Chaeyoung.

 

Jisoo: Did you see that?

 

Chaeyoung breaks into a grin at Jisoo's childish behavior.

 

Chaeyoung: Daebak~ Unnie, are you seriously complaining over a little boy right now?

 

Jisoo: I am not. That rice ball doesn't have any manners.

 

Chaeyoung: It's because you were being childish first. Now stop calling him little rice ball and call it a truce.

 

Jisoo scoffs.

 

Jisoo: He started it first when he didn't let me order my chicken. You should tell him to apologize to me.

 

Chaeyoung stares at the older girl astonishingly.

 

Chaeyoung: Unnie, he's a 9 year old boy. 

 

Jisoo: And I deserve an apology.

 

Chaeyoung laughs at her friend and shook her head.

 

Chaeyoung: Jaehyun-ah!

 

The younger boy makes his way over and looks at Chaeyoung.

 

Jaehyun: Yes noona?

 

Chaeyoung nudges towards her 23 year old best friend seated on the bed.

 

Chaeyoung: Can you please apologize to this little 5 year old before she throws a tantrum.

 

Jisoo: Chaeng~

 

Jaehyun stifles his laughter as he turns towards Jisoo to give her a bow.

 

Jaehyun: Sorry noona. I was wrong, please forgive me.

 

Jisoo pretended to weigh the option in her head a while before deciding to give her answer. 

 

After a few seconds, she "finally" gave in.

 

Jisoo: Alright, since I'm such a generous person, I will forgive you. And you can also have a little bit of my chicken.

 

Jaehyun smiled brightly at Jisoo.

 

Jaehyun: Thanks noona, you are the best!

 

The younger rushes back towards the couch and resumes to his coloring.

 

Jisoo: See? That wasn't so hard.

 

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes at Jisoo but had softly chuckled anyway knowing that she couldn't resist her friend's childlike cuteness.

 

A moment later, Chaeyoung's face had morphed into a much more serious one as she cautiously glances at Jisoo.

 

Chaeyoung: Jisoo unnie.

 

Jisoo: Hmm?

 

Chaeyoung: Soojoo Unnie had came to visit you... while you were unconscious.

 

Jisoo remained silent as she processed the news in her head. 

 

Chaeyoung shifted in her seat a little, knowing that this was a touchy subject for Jisoo. It had been almost 2 years since that day, the day that Jisoo had rejected Soojoo.

 

Jisoo admits that she does have a soft spot for the latter, but she loves Jennie. She has always loved Jennie Kim.

 

Speaking about Soojoo has always placed Jisoo in an uncomfortable situation, because she knew how much she had hurt the other girl.

 

in a deep breath, she focuses back on Chaeyoung and urged her to continue.

 

Jisoo: Did she say anything?

 

Chaeyoung shook her head.

 

Chaeyoung: She was just worried about you after hearing that you were admitted to the hospital from Suho Oppa.

 

Jisoo broke into a small grin.

 

Jisoo: And yet after everything, she still cares.

 

Chaeyoung stares sadly at Jisoo before taking the older girl's hand into her own.

 

Chaeyoung: She still cares for you a lot Unnie. I saw it in her eyes... she still loves you...

 

Jisoo remained silent, having nothing to say. No matter how guilty she felt, she couldn't bring herself to reciprocate Soojoo's feelings.

 

Chaeyoung: You know while you were still unconscious, Soojoo Unnie never left your side. She stayed with you every night to take care of you so that the oppas and I could get some rest... The reason that you haven't seen her yet is because she doesn't want you to feel guilty or uncomfortable with her being here.

 

Jisoo laughed bitterly at herself.

 

Jisoo: I'm such a cruel person Chaeng-ah. I hurt every person who was ever close to me.

 

Chaeyoung's eyes softened as she gazed at her best friend.

 

Chaeyoung: You know I didn't mean it like that Unnie.

 

Jisoo: It's true isn't it? Jennie tried to commit suicide because of me, I let you continue to be close to me even when I knew of your feelings back then, I could've let you go to spare you of your heartbreak, but yet I had been too selfish and kept you by my side, and there's Junmyeon and Changmin Oppa, who have both spent years trying to cure my disease. Then finally Soojoo, sweet, bubbly Soojoo who loved me unconditionally, and yet I pushed her away after breaking her heart as well.

 

Jisoo started to break into tears as she brought her hands up to cover her face. 

 

Chaeyoung: Unnie...

 

Chaeyoung's heart broke for her friend as her own eyes welled up in tears.

 

Jaehyun, who had been busy coloring turns over to see what was happening. His childlike features scrunch up in confusion as he stares at his 2 noonas crying.

 

Walking over, he pulls at Chaeyoung's sleeve.

 

Jaehyun: Noona, why are you crying? Why is Jisoo noona crying?

 

Chaeyoung wipes the tears from her eyes as she lifts Jaehyun onto her lap once again. 

 

Chaeyoung: It's just grown up issues Jae. There's nothing for you to worry about.  

 

Jaehyun looks up at Chaeyoung before turning to look at Jisoo. He knew that there was something wrong.

 

He may still be a kid, but he can sense when people around him are hurting. It's sort of like with his parents, when he had been sick, they were hurting as well.

 

And now his two friends are hurting. He wanted to help them, but didn't know how. 

 

With his small figure, Jaehyun climbed onto Jisoo's bed and engulfed the older girl in a hug. Jisoo was shocked at first, but had gladly accepted the younger's comfort.

 

Jaehyun: It's okay noona, just let it all out. I will help you.

 

Chaeyoung smiles softly upon witnessing the scene before her. Jaehyun was a young boy with a big heart, and she was glad that Jisoo had met him.

 

 

 

Special update because I’m in a really good mood today!! 😁  

 

Lisa is so freaking talented guys!! Did y’all see the video she filmed AND produced of Jisoo?!!! 🤤💖

 

That’s my girlfriend y’all!!! I need myself a Kim Jisoo ASAP!!! 😭😭❤️