Chapter 11

Don't Deserve You

 

Jisoo sat in her hospital bed, waiting for Chaeyoung to come visit her. Although it has only been about 2 weeks since she was admitted into the hospital, it had felt more like an eternity.

Every second, minute, hour, and day was excruciating for the CEO to bare. Usually when she was stuck in these types of situations, it would be natural for to pick up a book and start reading to pass the time.

But for some reason, this time around, just reading one chapter of a book would cause Jisoo to be bored out of her mind. She missed the fresh air that was outside the hospital walls, she missed seeing Jennie's flawless dumpling face, and she missed the sweet aroma and taste of chicken.

But most importantly, she missed having someone to just converse with. Changmin visits from time to time, but he never stayed long. There was always another patient he had to check up on or a surgery he had scheduled. 

The nurses at the hospital always made small talk with Jisoo whenever they came by for her check ups, but they too were busy with their schedules.  Chaeyoung visits her twice a day, but the visits were always short, since the younger now had to manage the company in Jisoo's place. 

Jisoo felt guilty for allowing Chaeyoung to take on the responsibility, but at least the latter was consulting to her whenever she was experiencing difficulty in handling the situation. The resort with Jennie seemed to be going well, and there was only a matter of 2 weeks left before it was completed.

Jisoo knew that by the end of those 2 weeks, Jennie would be out of her life for good. But she had decided that it was okay as long as the latter was happy. She glanced at the clock and noticed that Chaeyoung was already 15 minutes late. 

Getting out from her bed, Jisoo decided to take a walk around the hospital as she waited for the younger girl. 

Along the way, she stopped by and greeted some of the nurses and doctors. Some of them who tried to flirt with her, but she awkwardly excused herself and fled the scene. About 20 minutes after, Jisoo started heading back towards her room. 

But then the sight of a little boy crying had stopped her in her tracks. Jisoo slowly approached the boy and sat down next to him. She cocked her head to the side and stared at his face for a moment, noticing how much he looked like Suho. 

She shook her head and smiled fondly at the boy. 

Jisoo: Now what's a handsome boy like you crying by himself?

The little boy sniffled before looking up at Jisoo.

Boy: My mother said that I'm not allowed to speak to strangers. 

Jisoo chuckled.

Jisoo: What your mother said is true, and you should listen to her. But I promise I won't do anything bad to harm you. I just want to help you feel better.

The boy tried to look at Jisoo with his most suspicious and intimidating look, but all he was really doing  was cutely squinting with his eyes. Jisoo was trying to stifle her laughter as she stared at his cute little face.

Boy: How do I know if I could trust you?

Jisoo: Well, let's just say that I am currently very ill. Which means that I'm not allowed to do any physical activities or even eat any unhealthy food. So it will be a little difficult for me to kidnap a strong boy like you.

He puffed up his chest, trying to act confident.

Boy: I guess you're right. 

Jisoo: Now tell me little one. What's your name? 

The boy wiped his tears away before answering.

Boy: My name is Jaehyun, Jung Jaehyun. But I'm not little, I just turned 9 last month.

Jisoo laughed and smiled brightly at him. She extended her arm out to shake his hand.

Jisoo: Nyeongan Jung Jaehyun, I am Kim Jisoo, and I am now your new best and most trusted friend, confidant, and consultant. So, you can refer to me as Doctor Chu.

Jaehyun took her handshake but continued to look at her, his eyebrows scrunched up  in confusion.

Jaehyun: What is a Nyeongan?

Jisoo let out laugh.

Jisoo: It's basically Annyeong, but backwards. It's a catchphrase I made up.

Jaehyun: Ahh~ I like that. It's very clever and different Doctor.

Jisoo smiled at Jaehyun as he struggled to ask his next question.

Jaehyun: And what does con..con.. fi-dat and conss~sult...tan mean?

Jisoo laughed again because of his cute little butchering of the 2 words.

Jisoo: It's con-fi-dant and con-sul-tant Jaehyun-ah. And what they both mean is that I will be your most trusted friend who will listen to you as you tell me your problems and worries. And when you're done, I will try to the best of my abilities to help you solve those problems.

Jaehyun: Jinja?

Jisoo: Of course. Now tell me, why is our Jaehyunnie crying.

Jaehyun: My mom says that there is something bad happening with my heart. I didn't completely understand what she was saying, but I think I will be dying soon.

Jaehyun started crying again, and Jisoo couldn't help but tear up herself. She pulled Jaehyun into her arms and embraced him.

Jisoo: Don't be sad Jaehyun-ah, I'm sure the doctors here will do everything they can to save you.

The young boy shook his head.

Jaehyun: It's not possible. They said that I need a new heart soon or else I won't stay alive.

Jisoo pulled away before taking ahold of Jaehyun's hand.

Jisoo: You're gonna be okay Jaehyun-ah. You know why?

Jisoo turned to look and the younger who shook his head in response.

Jisoo: Because I have a bad heart as well, and I also need a new one, just like you.

Jaehyun sniffled and raised his hand up to wipe his nose.

Jaehyun: You do?

Jisoo nodded. She raised her hand and placed it against her chest.

Jisoo: But even though I have a bad heart, I have faith that my doctor will be able to save me. I'm also willing to fight to stay alive, because I know that I have people who still care for me and love me.

Jisoo now moved her hand and rested it against Jaehyun's chest.

Jisoo: Which is why you have to fight too Jaehyun. Because you also have people who care for you and love you as well.

Jaehyun: But what about the money?

Jisoo lifted her eyebrows confused as to what he was talking about.

Jisoo: What do you mean?

Jaehyun: My family is very poor. We don't have the money to afford my surgery. Even if I want live, I don't want to burden my parents.

Jisoo gazed softly at Jaehyun and brushed her hand through his hair.

Jisoo: Let me tell you something Jaehyun-ah. Your parents would rather carry any huge burden, they would rather have many worries, than let you die.

Jaehyun: But I don't want them to worry. They've done so much for me already.

Jisoo smiled fondly at the boy sitting next to her. Even at such a young age he knows how to think about others before himself.

Jisoo: Tell me Jaehyun-ah, how much does the surgery cost? 

Jaehyun: I don't know. All I know is that it's a lot of money.

Jisoo nodded before giving the younger a bright smile.

Jisoo: Don't worry Jaehyun. Just sit back and let Doctor Chu solve all of your problems.

Jaehyun laughed.

Jaehyun: You can't help me silly. My problem is unfixable. 

Jisoo scrunched up her face and pouted.

Jisoo: But I'm serious, I can fix your problem.

Jaehyun: Ahh, Doctor stop joking with me.

Jisoo put on her best thinking face and waited a second before replying.

Jisoo: How about this, I pinky swear that I will solve your problem. 

Jisoo extended her pinky and waited for Jaehyun to do the same. But the boy only looked at her uncertainly.

Jisoo: Come on Jaehyun-ah. I've never once in my life have ever broken a pinky promise.

Jaehyun shrugged his shoulders and hooked his pinky to Jisoo's. Jisoo smiled and pinched the boy's cheek.

Jisoo: It's a deal then!

Jaehyun returned the smile, although he was still doubtful of Jisoo's promise to him. But in that moment, he was just glad that he was able to make friend before he died.

Jaehyun: Now it's your turn Doctor.

Jisoo stared at him with a confused expression.

Jisoo: My turn for what?

Jaehyun: To tell me your problems. I, Jung Jaehyun, your most most trusted con-fidant and consul-tant, will try to the best of my abilities to help you solve them. You can call me Doctor Jae.

Jisoo laughed softly and flicked his forehead.

Jisoo: How could a little boy like you help me solve my problems?

Jaehyun crosses his arms.

Jaehyun: I told you, I'm not little.

Jisoo raised her hands up in defense and laughed.

Jisoo: Okay okay. You're a big boy.

Jaehyun smiled.

Jaehyun: Good. Now tell me your problems.

Jisoo shook her head, but in the end gave into his request.

Jisoo: Okay. So there's this girl that I've loved for a long time, and she's just absolutely perfect in every way possible. Sometimes I even wonder how I was able to date someone like her.

Jisoo paused a little and smiled fondly at the thought of Jennie before continuing.

Jisoo: The 2 of us had dated for about 2 years, when a misunderstanding had caused her to break up with me and move away 4 years ago.

Jaehyun scrunched up his eyebrows, not seeing what the problem was.

Jaehyun: Well then why don't you just clear up the misunderstanding noona?

Jisoo chuckled.

Jisoo: It's not as easy as you think Jaehyun-ah. She... she has a boyfriend now. 

Jaehyun shrugged.

Jaehyun: I still don't see the problem. As long as you explain to her what really happened, she'll forgive you and love you again.

Jisoo laughed and ruffled his hair.

Jisoo: I wish everything were that simple Jaehyun-ah. But you see, just I like you, I don't want to burden her by telling her the truth.

Jaehyun tilted his head to the side, not quite getting the idea.

Jaehyun: Why would telling the truth be burdening her?

Jisoo: Think about it this way. The reason for our misunderstanding and break up was because of my illness. And if I tell her about it now, she will feel bad and hate herself and might even distance herself from me.

Jaehyun let out a long sigh and scratched his head.

Jaehyun: Older people problems are harder than I thought, especially when you don't know anything about love.

Jisoo laughed at his cuteness.

Jisoo: You'll understand once you're older Jaehyun-ah. For now, let's just let me be the doctor.

Jaehyun smiled.

Jaehyun: I think that's a great idea. I just still don't know how you are gonna be able to solve my problem though. It is a really big and expensive after all.

Jisoo smirked at the younger and patted his head.

Jisoo: You'll find out soon enough Jaehyun-ah. Don't worry, Doctor Chu will make sure that you get your heart transplant.

Jaehyun: Then I will give you my full trust Doctor.

 


 

Special update for Blackpink's anniversary. Happy two years with Blackpink Blinks!!! I love you guys, thank you for all your support! And may there be many more years to come with Blackpink! xoxo <3