Chapter 17

Don't Deserve You

 

It was the day of the opening ceremony and Jennie was beyond nervous. 

Not only was she about to reveal the accomplishment of her 3 months of hard work, but she was also going to be announcing her engagement with Jisoo.

Jennie sat between her mother and father in the car as they are driving to the event.

Her palms were sweaty and she couldn't stop the nervous jitters circulating throughout her body. Mrs. Kim took ahold of her daughter's hands and gave it a gentle reassuring squeeze.

Mrs. Kim: Everything will be fine Jennie, just relax.

Mr. Kim: Listen to your mom Jennie-ah. You've really outdone yourself this time.

At the sound of her parents' encouraging words, Jennie felt a part of relax as she slowly allowed her nerves to calm down.

 

•••

 

Meanwhile, Jisoo was just as nervous for the same reasons. Although she hadn't worked as hard as Jennie on this event, she knew how much effort and time the younger had put into it, so Jisoo just wanted everything to go well for the sake of Jennie.

Currently inside her room getting ready, Jisoo couldn't even seem to button her own shirt due to the shaking of her nervous hands.

Suddenly, the door to Jisoo's room opened and Chaeyoung poked her head through.

Chaeyoung: Are you ready unnie?

Jisoo: Almost... Let me just get these stupid buttons to work.

Chaeyoung chuckled to herself as she watched Jisoo struggle to button her shirt.

Chaeyoung: Here, let me help you unnie.

Chaeyoung approached the older girl and finished the task in a matter of seconds.

Jisoo: Thanks Chaeng.

Chaeyoung: No problem unnie.

Chaeyoung watched as Jisoo looked over herself in the mirror, making sure that she was presentable.

Jisoo: Is Lisa still not back from her business trip?

Chaeyoung: No. It'll take at least a few more days before she comes back.

Jisoo: I see. It's too bad, she could've been your plus one for today's event.

Chaeyoung giggled softly.

Chaeyoung: I have you don't I?

Jisoo smirked.

Jisoo: You do make a good point dongsaeng.

Chaeyoung smiled at the older girl's response. She watched as Jisoo continued to examine herself in the mirror and fuss over even the smallest wrinkles in her clothes.

Chaeyoung: You look great unnie, stop worrying so much.

Jisoo: I just want to make sure I look my best Chaeng.

Chaeyoung looked down and shook her head.

Chaeyoung: I'm still not sure about this.

Jisoo turned to face Chaeyoung. 

Jisoo: I told you Chaeyoung-ah, I'll be fine.

Chaeyoung nodded before shooting Jisoo a questioning glance.

Chaeyoung: Have you taken your medicine?

Jisoo: Of course.

Chaeyoung smiled.

Chaeyoung: Are you ready unnie?

Jisoo took a deep breath and took one last glance at herself in the mirror.

Jisoo: As ready as I'll ever be.

 

•••

 

As soon as Jisoo and Chaeyoung arrived, there were journalists and paparazzi everywhere they turned. 

Cameras and microphones were all shoved up Jisoo's face, giving the CEO no room to breathe. 

"Miss Kim, look over here!"

"How do you feel about the accomplishment of this huge project?"

"What is your relationship with the CEO Kim of Kim Corporations?" 

"There was a rumor that you 2 had known each other from before. Is that true?"

"What are your thoughts on the success and future of the new resort?"

"What are your thoughts on CEO Kim?"

"Do you the think this resort will keep you ahead of the rivalry between Dream and Power Industries?

Questions were fired at Jisoo in all directions for every millisecond, giving her no time to answer or even process what they were.

Luckily, Jisoo's bodyguards arrived and made way for Jisoo to walk through the crowd. 

Chaeyoung was behind her, squished between Jisoo's back and the tight wall made by the bodyguards. 

But finally, the 2 arrived to the top of the stage, where the business partners and CEOs of rivaling companies of both Dream and Kim Corporations sat.

One of the CEOs was Chairman Lee, the CEO of Power Industries, which is known across Korea as Dream's biggest rival.

But the truth was that there was really no rivalry. CEO Lee had been a close friend of Jisoo's father when her father was still alive. 

People just assumed that the 2 companies were rivals because they were both the 2 largest corporates in Korea.

Jisoo has always treated CEO Lee as if he were her family and ignored the rumors generalized by the public.

Upon seeing the face of the elder, her face stretches into a smile as she approaches him.

Jisoo: Uncle Seung-Gi!

Seung-Gi (CEO Lee): Ahh~ Jisoo, my dear niece! How have you been?

Jisoo embraces him before replying.

Jisoo: I'm good uncle. It's nice to see you. How are you these days?

Seung-Gi laughed.

Seung-Gi: I've been good. By the way, congratulations on your latest project. Your parents would be proud.

Jisoo's face brightened at the elder's words.

Jisoo: Thanks Uncle, but it was all CEO Kim's idea and hard work. I had only played a small part in this project. The credit mostly goes to Miss Kim and Chaeyoung.

Seung-Gi: CEO Kim as in Jennie Kim, the daughter of Kim Jiyong? 

Jisoo: Yeah, that's her.

A look of recognition flashed across Seung-Gi's face, causing Jisoo to wonder.

Jisoo: Do you know them uncle?

Startled by Jisoo's question, Seung-Gi shook his head immediately.

Seung-Gi: Of course not... I've just heard a lot about them is all.

Jisoo nodded, seeming to believe his answer. 

The commotion of cameras flashing and reporters shouting caused the attention of both Jisoo and Seung-Gi to shift. 

Walking up the stage was Jennie, and behind her were Mr. and Mrs. Kim.

Jisoo smiled and excused herself from Seung-Gi to approach the Kims. Seung-Gi stood still while staring at Jennie and Mr. Kim for a moment before returning to his seat.

Jisoo: Mr. Kim, Mrs. Kim, it's good to see you.

Mrs. Kim smiled kindly. 

Mrs. Kim: Same to you Jisoo.

Mr. Kim: Thank you once again for backing up this project Jisoo... and also for—

Before the elder could finish, Jisoo had already cut him off.

Jisoo: I told Mr. Kim, it was my pleasure.

Mr. Kim gave her a smile of gratitude before leading his wife to their seats. Jisoo then shifted her attention towards Jennie who had quietly stood by during the conversation.

Jisoo smiles softly at her.

Jisoo: Are you ready?

Jennie took a long look at the crowd before nodding her head.

Jennie: Let's get started.

With that, the 2 girls stepped up to the podium, silencing the crowd. The only noise that could be heard were the flashes and clicking of cameras.

Jennie: Good morning ladies and gentlemen. I am CEO Kim of Kim Corporations, and I would like to thank everyone for coming here today. I have dreamed of this day ever since I was still a little girl. The idea had been with me throughout my whole life, and finally, today is the day that this childhood dream of mine would finally come true. With this new resort, I hope to invent and make way for a new development in this industry. I hope that it will exceed all of your expectations and that this resort will thrive alongside many others of past generations. Miss Kim of Dream and I have spent a lot of time, effort, and dedication on this project. Making sure that everything is absolutely perfect and presentable. It was an honor to be working alongside her these past few months. It was all thanks to her that all of this is even possible. So would everyone please give a hand to CEO Kim Jisoo of Dream.

At the end of Jennie's speech, everyone started to clap as it was Jisoo's turn to speak.

Jisoo: Hello everybody. I am CEO Kim, not of Kim Corporations, but of Dream.

Jisoo's playfulness generates a laughter in the audience. She waited for the laughter to die down before continuing.

Jisoo: As CEO Jennie Kim had stated before, the 2 of us had put a lot of time and dedication into this project. I guess by being the CEO of Dream, I did play a pretty big role in making Miss Jennie Kim's dream come true.

Again, the audience laughed at the CEO's intended pun. Chaeyoung and even Jennie cracked a smile at her lame attempt.

Jisoo: But I can't exactly take all the credit in this. My secretary, Miss Roseanne Park has made a huge contribution in this project, even more so than I did, so I would like to thank her today and allow everyone to acknowledge her efforts and hard work.

The audience joined their hands together and clapped for Chaeyoung who teared up a bit in her seat.

Jisoo: To continue, Miss Kim has previously stated that she was honored to work alongside me. But to me, it was the other way around. Miss Jennie Kim has got to be one of the most dedicated and talented person I've ever worked with. Working with her has been a pleasure, and I couldn't have asked for a better partner... Which is why I am pleased to announce the news of our engagement, and that Kim Corporations and Dream will be joining together as one company, with Miss Kim and I being its co-CEOs.

Jisoo paused as she waited for the audience's reaction. The first few seconds was filled with silence due the shock of the sudden news.

But then, as quickly as the news had been spoken, the journalists had started to shout out questions from all directions. 

Flashes of cameras can be heard in every millisecond and the lights emitted from them were so bright that they had slightly blinded Jisoo's vision.

The other CEOs were just as shocked and were conversing about the news from behind. 

The news of their 2 companies joining was also new to Jennie. Neither of her parents nor Jisoo had spoken to her about it and the CEO was just as shocked as everyone else.

Jennie turned back to look at her parents who gave her guilty looks, she then turned her attention towards Jisoo who was looking towards the audience.

Jisoo cleared in order to avert the  audience's attention back to her.

Jisoo: I know that the sudden news must have shocked all of you. But Miss Kim—no—Jennie and I have fallen in love during these past 3 months that we've been working together. She is an amazing woman and I didn't want to let her go. So I decided to ask Mr. and Mrs. Kim for her hand in marriage in which they accepted. I hope that you all will support the 2 of us in our engagement. Thank you.

The audience applauded and shouted words of encouragement and congratulations to the 2 girls. Jisoo smiles in gratitude, her eyes sparkled with joy, but hidden behind it was the pain of knowing that the marriage was a set up between Jisoo and Jennie's parents.

Despite it being an arranged marriage between her and Jennie, Jisoo had meant every single word that she had said. Jennie truly was an amazing woman that she should never have let go. 

The only thing that was false in Jisoo's words was the claim that Jennie was in love with Jisoo. In reality, it was Jisoo who was in love with Jennie, while the latter was in love with Hanbin. And it was a fact that Jisoo had accepted right from the start.

If Suho isn't able to convince the family to give their son's heart away, then it would mean that Jisoo won't be around for much longer. And that she would really disappear from Jennie's life for good.

Jisoo turned to face Jennie who was coldly glaring at her with a stoic expression. She stormed off the stage before Jisoo could even utter a single word. The Kims rose from their seats and hurriedly chased after their daughter. Jisoo was about to follow but was held back by her uncle had who had approached her.

Seung-Gi: This is a surprise Jisoo-ah. I never thought that you would get married this early. Although it would've been nice to know before hand.

Jisoo: I'm sorry I hadn't informed you before hand uncle. But to be honest, I didn't think that I would get married this early either. It all just happened I guess.

Seung-Gi: I get what you mean Jisoo. You can decide who you'll fall in love with... But just be careful okay? I don't you to get hurt.

Jisoo smiled in response although she was confused by Seung-Gi's last statement. What did he mean by it? He surely doesn't know about her and Jennie's past relationship, so what exactly was he talking about? 

Seung-Gi glanced towards the direction that Jennie had left and nodded his heads towards it.

Seung-Gi: You should probably chase after your fiancée Jisoo-ah. I'll catch up with you some other time.

Jisoo: Alright, see you Uncle Seung-Gi.

Jisoo bowed to him respectfully before turning to exit the stage. She made eye contact with Chaeyoung who immediately rose from her seat to follow Jisoo.

 

•••

 

It was a long process, but Jisoo and Chaeyoung had finally made it into the resort through the many journalists and paparazzi that had bombarded them with questions.

Jisoo let out a deep breath that she didn't know that she was holding while Chaeyoung was busy catching her breath. 

Chaeyoung: Wow unnie, that crowd was a lot more difficult to get past than when we had first arrived.

Jisoo nodded in agreement.

Spotting Jennie a few feet away talking to her parents, Jisoo turned to Chaeyoung and signaled for her to stay before approaching Jennie.

As she neared them, Jisoo bowed to Jennie's parents.

Jisoo: Mr. Kim, Mrs. Kim.

Jennie gave a quick glance at Jisoo before shifting her attention back to her parents.

Jennie: How can you guys decide this without telling me about it?

Mr. Kim: We're sorry Jennie, we just didn't want you to stress about it.

Jennie: Well I'm stressed about it right now appa. Something as big as joining our company together with Jisoo's, is probably something that you should have informed me about. I probably looked like an idiot standing up there. 

Jisoo: Look Jennie, you don't have to blame your father for this, it was my idea from the start.

Jennie turned to Jisoo, her glaring eyes looking like they could pierce through Jisoo's soul.

Jennie: And since when was it that the decisions regarding my family's company were up to you to decide?

Mr. Kim: Jennie-ah, it was actually also my idea to join our companies. It would not only boost up our stocks, but also give more exposure to the resort now that our companies will be joined together.

Jennie: But you still should've told me appa. How ridiculous is that the company's own CEO doesn't even know about the merging of her company with another's?

Mrs. Kim approached Jennie and placed a comforting hand on the latter's arm.

Mrs. Kim: Look Jennie-ah, your father and I are extremely sorry okay? From now on we promise to let you know about everything before hand.

At her mother's comforting words, Jennie allowed herself to relax.

Jennie: Okay.

Mrs. Kim smiled. 

Mrs. Kim: Good. Now shall we all go out for dinner to discuss about your wedding plans?

Jennie's eyes widened at the older woman's words.

Jennie: Already?

Mr. Kim nodded along.

Mr. Kim: Why not? It's a good time to do so. Besides, it's always less stressful to plan ahead. What do you think Jisoo?

Jisoo shrugged.

Jisoo: I'll be fine with whatever Jennie decides Mr. Kim.

Jennie's parents along with Jisoo shifted their attention towards her. After a few moments, the young CEO gave in and agreed to her mother's suggestion.

Jennie: Alright, alright. We'll go out for dinner.

Mrs. Kim smiled and glanced at her husband before turning back to Jisoo and Jennie.

Mrs. Kim: Let's get going then, your father and I have got a lot of plans for your wedding.