Chapter 26

Don't Deserve You

 

Chaeyoung and Lisa were both at Lisa's house when they had the T.V. and found out that one of the Dream K buildings had been caught on fire.

Frantically, the 2 girls had tried to phone both Jisoo and Jennie, but neither person was picking up. 

Worried, Lisa had grabbed her keys and drove herself and Chaeyoung to the scene of the fire.

When the 2 had arrived, they tried to look around for either Jisoo or Jennie, however the 2 older girl's were nowhere insight.

Just when they were about to approach a police officer to talk to him about the calamity, the doors to the entrance had burst open.

Lisa stares in horror as Chaeyoung let out a shriek.

Walking out of the building was Jisoo who carrying an unconscious Jennie in her arms. 

Chaeyoung: JISOO UNNIE!!

The older didn't seem to hear Chaeyoung. Lisa watched as several firefighters started to make their way towards where Jisoo and Jennie were. 

Lisa and Chaeyoung tried to follow them but were held back by the police officers.

Police: Ladies I'm gonna have to ask you to stay back! It's dangerous!

Chaeyoung: Officer, you have to let us in! That's my friend!

Lisa glanced over at her heartbroken girlfriend. Her heart ached as she stared at the older girl's tear stained face.

Lisa: Please officer, you have to let us through!

Officer: I'm sorry, but I can't do that!

Chaeyoung: I have to help my friend! She needs me!

Chaeyoung continued to push forward despite the officer's protest. For a second she had been able to push through, but was taken down by the officer.

Officer: Miss, I'm gonna need you to stand down! We are doing everything we can to help!

Chaeyoung: You don't understand! I have to get to my friend!

Lisa dropped down next to the older girl and placed her arms over Chaeyoung's shoulders. Turning back towards the officer, she gave him a pleading look.

Lisa: Please. One of our friends has a severe heart condition, we have to make sure that she's okay.

With a hesitant look, the officer gave in and gestured for the 2 girls to quickly pass through. 

Chaeyoung ran as fast as her legs could take her. 

Right when she neared Jisoo, she knew that her friend was in pain. The older girl collapsed onto the ground as soon as Jennie was carried away.

'Why? Out of all days, why today?! Jisoo was supposed to be getting her surgery! She was supposed to be in the hospital! Why is she here?!'

Chaeyoung saw Lisa going towards Jennie's direction, but all she cared about was Jisoo at the moment.

She collapses besides the older girl and let out a heart wrenching sob.

Chaeyoung: Jisoo unnie!! Wake up!! You have to stay with me! Please Unnie!

Chaeyoung watched as Jisoo's eyes fluttered, fading in and out. 

Eventually, the older girl fell unconscious, but Chaeyoung could still see the agony that her friend was in.

'What was gonna happen to Jisoo? Suho had said that she was supposed to remain calm before the surgery.'

Firefighters started to surround Chaeyoung as they made their way to place Jisoo on a gurney. 

Chaeyoung frantically stood up from her spot and walked besides them.

Chaeyoung: Unnie has a chronic heart illness, she was supposed to have her surgery tomorrow.

The firefighters nodded in her direction, grateful that the younger girl had provided useful information.

They carried Jisoo onto a separate ambulance and handed her over to the paramedics.

Chaeyoung turns to Lisa who was tending to Jennie.

Chaeyoung: You can go with Jennie Unnie. I'll go with Jisoo and I'll meet you there. Lisa nodded and walked over to give Chaeyoung a soft kiss.

Lisa: Everything is gonna be okay Chae.

Chaeyoung: I hope so Lisa.

And with that, the older girl climbed into the ambulance just before they drove off towards the hospital.

 

•••

 

On her way to the hospital, Chaeyoung had already called Suho and Changmin to update them on Jisoo's condition.

When the paramedics had arrived at the hospital, there was already a team waiting for Jisoo.

Chaeyoung got off the car and was immediately engulfed in a hug by Suho while Changmin and his team had rushed Jisoo to the ER.

Suho: What happened Chaeyoung-ah. I just saw Jisoo this morning, she was fine.

Chaeyoung looked up at Suho's face, his eyes were filled with unshed tears as he waited for an answer from her.

Wiping away her tears, Chaeyoung shook her head.

Chaeyoung: I don't know Oppa. I just turned the T.V. on and found out that the Dream K building had caught on fire. When Lisa and I had arrived, we found Unnie like this. I think she had carried Jennie out of the fire.

Suho: She... she carried Jennie out of the fire?

Chaeyoung nodded. Suho ran a hand through his hair exasperatedly. Looking back at Chaeyoung, he places his hands onto the younger girl's shoulders.

Suho: Listen to me Chaeyoung-ah. I know the situation looks bad, but I promise you that Jisoo will be okay. I won't let anything happen to her. Alright?
I'll go tell Changmin about everything and we'll immediately start the surgery.

Chaeyoung didn't know what to say besides nodding in reply.

Suho: Okay, Okay. There's nothing to worry about.

And with that, the older boy dashed inside. Despite Suho's reassurance, Chaeyoung still had doubts. She knew how bad the situation was, she saw the pain on Jisoo's face as they were driving to the hospital. 

She knew that Suho was just trying his best to convince her that everything was going to be fine.

But Chaeyoung wasn't even sure if he was trying to convince her, or himself. A few moments later, Jennie's ambulance had arrived.

Chaeyoung turns over to see the latter being pulled out. She too had been rushed over to the ER. 

Lisa had been the last one to step out, her face was grim.

Chaeyoung approached her girlfriend. 

Chaeyoung: How is she?

Lisa: The paramedic said that she had probably fractured a leg. She had also inhaled a lot of smoke, but fortunately she was taken out in time before anything got worse. They still have to give her an examination though, to make sure that there was no other symptoms.

Chaeyoung nodded, relieved that Jennie's condition wasn't serious. 

Lisa: What about Jisoo unnie?

Chaeyoung shook her head solemnly.

Chaeyoung: I don't know. I think it's serious, Oppa had said that he would try to operate her right away, but I don't know what her condition is yet... I-I can't bring myself to go in there.

Lisa slowly slid her hand into Chaeyoung's and gave her a comforting smile.

Lisa: Then we'll go in together.

 

•••

 

The 2 girls had arrived at the ER to find out that Jisoo had been moved to her private room.

Jennie was also moved into her own room and was currently being examined.

Lisa and Chaeyoung both went to Jisoo's room. As soon as they had arrived, several doctors and nurses were already surrounding the older girl's bed and were taking notes on her condition.

Chaeyoung looks around and spotted Changmin and Suho talking with each other just a little down the corridor.

She approached the two doctors with Lisa following closely behind.

Chaeyoung: How is Jisoo unnie? Is she gonna be okay?

The two men turned around to see an anxious Chaeyoung. They shared a glance between each other before turning back towards the younger girl.

Changmin took in a deep breath before answering.

Changmin: As of right now Jisoo is stabilized. But according to the test scans, her heart had been in pain for a couple of times these past few months. Adding on to that, she had inhaled a lot of smoke today, including the fact that she had over exerted herself. Her heart is still beating, but only enough to keep her alive for now...

Chaeyoung remains silent. Lisa walked up and placed a comforting hand on the her girlfriend's shoulder.

Chaeyoung: S-so... w-what does t-that mean? Is... is Unnie g-gonna be okay?

Suho looked towards Changmin for permission before deciding to speak out the following information to Chaeyoung.

Suho: What it means Chaeyoung-ah is that... we don't know... For the next 24 hours, we will be monitoring Jisoo's condition... and if she wakes up, then we can perform the surgery right away...

Suho came to a pause. The elephant in the room felt suffocating, when Chaeyoung had decided to speak up.

Chaeyoung: And if Unnie doesn't wake up?

Suho looked towards the ground, a single tear slipped from his eye as he tried to contain his emotions. 

Changmin let out a tired sigh before answering for the latter.

Changmin: If Jisoo doesn't wake up, we'll still have to do the surgery... but the risk factors are much greater. There's a 40% percent chance that she might die before we even transfer the heart.

The sudden news left a deafening silence within the corridor. Everyone was enveloped with a solemn atmosphere.

Chaeyoung was the first to break down as she felt the last of her hope fade away. She allowed herself to fall onto the ground as she wept over the cruelty of her best friend's life.

Suho too had allowed himself to break down in tears. 

'Why? Out of all people, why did it have to be Jisoo?'

Changmin stressly ran his hand through his hair, frustrated that there was nothing he could do. For once he didn't know what to do.

He stumbled to the wall and slowly dropped down to the ground.

Lisa looked at her girlfriend then shifted her attention towards the 2 male doctors within the empty corridor.

These people were all affected by one person, and that person is Kim Jisoo. 

The person who was currently lying inside a hospital bed, her life hanging by a thread. Although Lisa had only known the older girl for a short period of time in her life, she's noticed what a big impact Jisoo had made. 

It was all thanks to Jisoo that Chaeyoung could have the courage to ask out Lisa. Park Chaeyoung, the woman who Lisa wants to marry one day, the love of her life.

Jisoo was a person who put other people's well being before herself. She was willing to give up a heart for a little girl who had been a stranger to her, and yet she was willing to do it again for Jaehyun.

She had given up her own happiness just so that Lisa's own best friend wouldn't blame herself.

With all of these thoughts running through her mind, Lisa collapses down next to Chaeyoung and felt a tear slip from her eye.

Soon, she too had wept for the girl who laid in the hospital bed. 

She cried for her poor best friend who had no idea of what was happening.

'What would Jennie Unnie feel like if she had known?' 

'Here were the most important people in Jisoo's life. If they are hurting this much, how would Jennie Unnie feel? Jisoo was once the person that Jennie unnie had loved more than herself.'

Lisa closes her eyes in order to calm herself down.

'Jisoo unnie was right. Jennie can't know about this. It would only hurt her.'

Lisa heaved out a sigh. 

'I'm sorry Jisoo unnie... I'm so sorry.'

 

•••

 

Jennie had woke up the next morning, unsure of where she was.

Looking around, she spotted Lisa sleeping on a couch in the corner. She tried to call out to younger but wasn't able to due to the oxygen mask strapped around her face.

Pulling it off, she tried once more.

Jennie: Li...Lisa... Lisa.

Lisa woke up a few seconds after. 

Lisa: Unnie! 

The younger girl quickly made her way over towards Jennie, and began to check on the her.

Lisa: How are you feeling Unnie? Are you in pain? Are you dizzy? D-do you need anything?

Jennie shook her head.

Lisa: L-let me call the doctor.

Immediately, Lisa rushes out the door and was back with a doctor in just a few short moments.

The doctor walked in and started checking up on Jennie. He listened to her heart for a few minutes before nodding his head.

Doctor: Miss Kim is now stable. For the next few days she will continue to have some trouble with her breathing, so I'm gonna need her to stay for another week to monitor her condition. 

Lisa nodded.

Lisa: Is that all doctor?

Doctor: She will also need to keep her oxygen mask on at all times, it will help with her breathing until it is back to normal.

Lisa: Okay. Thank you doctor.

After the doctor had left the room, Lisa turned her head back towards Jennie.

Lisa: It's a relief that you're fine Unnie. I don't know what I would've done if anything serious had happened to you.

Jennie blinked once before looking around the room. Seeing that Jennie was reaching for her oxygen mask, Lisa decided to take it off for her.

Lisa: Unnie, did you not hear what the doctor said? You have to keep this on.

Jennie: Where... where's J-Jisoo?

Lisa blinked in bewilderment.

Lisa: J-Jisoo unnie? Why are y-you l-looking for her?

Jennie: She... she was there at the fire. I... I r-remember her saving me. Is... is she okay?

Lisa: O-of course! Why wouldn't she b-be okay? 

Jennie: Then... where... is... she?

Seeing that Jennie was having trouble with her breathing, she quickly places the mask over her face. 

Lisa: Aish unnie keep it on and I'll tell you.

The older girl stayed put and stared at Lisa, anticipating her answer. Lisa tacked her brain while trying to figure out a way to answer Jennie's question without revealing Jisoo's condition.

Jennie nudges Lisa's arm, urging her to speak. Panicked, Lisa took a deep breath before answering.

Lisa: The truth is...

Jennie blinked, urging Lisa to continue.

Lisa: Uh... Jisoo unnie inhaled some smoke while saving you, so she's in another room.

Hearing the news, Jennie's eyes widened in shock. She tried to lift herself up only to fall back down in pain.

Lisa: Unnie! What are you doing?!

Lisa saw the pleading look in Jennie's eyes and took off the older girl's mask once more.

Jennie: I need... to see Jisoo. I need... to make sure... that she's okay.

Lisa ruffles her hair in frustration.

Lisa: Aish Unnie! You're still sick! You can barely move right now! Be—besides, Jisoo unnie is resting. Even if you came, there's nothing that you could do.

Jennie: I... I just want to see her.

Lisa: Alright, alright. Just... just stop moving, and.. and I'll go check to see if Unnie she is awake.

Jennie seems to have agreed to Lisa's suggestion. She laid back down, and stopped moving. Lisa released a sigh of relief.

Lisa: Thank you.

Jennie: Once she's awake... you have to t-take me to come see her... alright?

Lisa nodded softly.

Lisa: Okay. Just, stay here... okay? I'll... I'll go check up on Jisoo unnie right now. Don't move, I'll be back in a short while.

Jennie nodded weakly. Lisa gave her a half hearted smile before walking out.