Chapter 1

Don't Deserve You

 

Jennie Kim stepped out of the car and took in the view of her home. It has been 4 years since she's been in Korea. 

She has to admit though, it does feel good to be back in her hometown.

Taking a deep breath, she thanked the taxi driver before entering the empty house.

Jennie's parents were still in New Zealand and had her come back a few weeks early to deal with the company.

She took her stuff up the stairs and into her room. Looking around, she saw that it was exactly like how she had left it.

Unpacking her stuff, she went to order some food before hitting the shower.

Being back her had brought back many memories that she had tried to bury long ago. But unlike before, she was no longer mending from a broken heart.

She has moved on, and no longer had those lingering feelings. Taking a deep breath, she shut down the shower and threw on her robe.

Just as she stepped out, the doorbell rang. She grabbed her wallet and went to open the door. 

After thanking the delivery guy, she brought the box of pizza up to her room.

Checking the time, she realized that it was already 12:30 pm.

Heaving a long sigh she quickly finished up and went to wash up. 

Tomorrow was her first day as the acting CEO of the company and her first task was to convince DREAM Enterprises, which was the biggest corporate in Korea to sign a contract with her company, Kim Corporations.

She knew that she had to be at her best and get this contract signed, knowing that it would bring great benefit to her family's company. 

And by doing that, she couldn't afford to be late. Her parents had spent months preparing for this meeting, and she was not gonna let them down.

With that thought, she turned off the lights and headed off to bed.

 

•••

 

When Jennie first set her foot inside the company, she was greeted by the smiling face of a girl. 

Secretary: Hello Miss Kim, my name is Nayeon, and I will be your secretary.

Jennie gave the girl a smile before offering her hand. 

Jennie: My name is Jennie, it's nice to meet Nayeon-shi.

The latter shyly shook Jennie's hand before replying. 

Nayeon: Nayeon is fine Miss Kim. 

Jennie smiled.

Jennie: Alright then Nayeon. Walk me through my schedule today.

Nayeon: Ok. So right now all you have on your plate is the planned meeting with the CEO of Dream Enterprises. And after that there is some paperwork that you need to approve of. But besides that there's nothing else that is urgent.

Jennie nodded.

Jennie: The other CEO, do you know of her name?

Nayeon shook her head. 

Nayeon: I'm sorry, but I don't. All I know is that her surname is also Kim.

Jennie: Alright then. Thank you Nayeon. 

Nayeon: There is no need to thank me Miss Kim.

They approached the meeting room.

Nayeon: You'll be having your meeting here. Dream should be arriving in about 5 minutes, so I should take my leave to them here.

Jennie: Go ahead then, I'll be able to manage from here.

Nayeon bowed before walking away.

Jennie stepped into the room, and took her seat. She took out the contract papers, and examined them for any flaws. 

As she was nearing the end, she heard voices outside.

The door opened, and Jennie rose from her seat.

She bowed to the other CEO not yet able to catch a glimpse of her face.

Jennie: Hello Miss Kim. My name is Jennie Kim, and I hope that our companies would be able to work with each other in the upcoming project.

"Jennie?"

Confused as to why the voice sounded so familiar in her ears, Jennie looked up and was met with the bewildered face of none other than Kim Jisoo.

And just like that, a surge of emotions ran through Jennie. 

The woman who she had been trying to forget for the past 4 years is now standing right in front of her. She felt angry and confused at the same time.

Jennie: What are you doing here?

She asked, voice devoided of all emotion.

Jisoo snapped out of her trance.

Jisoo: I'm the CEO of Dream.

Jennie nodded, her jaw clenched.

Jennie: Please have a seat then Miss Kim.

Jisoo made a move to step closer.

Jisoo: Jennie-ah I-

Jennie: Miss Kim I'm kindly requesting you to take a seat so that we can talk about the contract.

Jisoo nodded before turning to the questioning gaze of Chaeyoung (Rosé), her secretary and best friend.

Jisoo: I'll tell you later.

She whispered, and the younger girl nodded. Jisoo walked to her seat, and sat down.

She took a deep breath before looking up into Jennie's eyes.

'God I missed her so much.'

In the past 4 years that Jennie's been gone there hasn't been a day where she hasn't thought about her.

'She's still so beautiful.'

Jennie cleared , snapping Jisoo out of her thoughts.

Jennie: If you don't mind Miss Kim, I would like this be strictly about business.

Jisoo smiled sadly.

'Of course, she thinks that I cheated on her.'

Jisoo: Of course. Please proceed Miss Kim. And please just call me Jisoo.

Jennie: I'm afraid that would not be appropriate Miss Kim.

The coldness laced in her tone didn't go unnoticed by Jisoo, and it felt like there was a knife lodged inside her chest.

Jisoo: Of course Miss Kim.

Jennie: Ok so onto business. I would greatly appreciate it if you sign this contract with our company for our upcoming project. It will surely make a good impression on you.

Jisoo: What exactly is the main idea of this project that you speak of?

Jennie: Our company is currently building a new resort. But what makes it different is that it will be run solely on solar energy.

Jisoo nodded.

Jisoo: Please continue. 

Jennie: If this resort runs on only solar energy, it would cut the expenses of electricity and will be a great benefit to the environment as well.

Jisoo: I like the idea Miss Kim. But what about when there is no sun to operate the resort. For example, when it gets dark, or how about when it rains or snows.

Jennie: I've already thought about that. What we plan to do is have batteries that we'll fill ahead of time by also using the sun's energy, and then just use that when these conditions occur.

Jisoo: This is quite a risky and complicated project Miss Kim. 

Jennie: I understand. But it will also benefit the planet greatly if it were to succeed.

Jisoo nodded. She was proud to see that Jennie is well, and that she is now a CEO of her own company.

Jisoo: You've got yourself a deal Miss Kim. Please hand me the contract. 

Jennie's face brightened up for the first time since Jisoo stepped into the room. 

'I'm so sorry Jennie. I didn't mean to hurt you.'

Jennie handed a copy of the contract to Nayeon who brought it over to Jisoo. 

Jisoo read it, seeing no problems with it before handing it to Chaeyoung.

Jisoo: Double check it for me Chaeyoung-ah.

The latter gazed at the documents for quite some time. Flipping back and forth from one page to the other before finally handing it back to Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: It's good.

Jisoo nodded before signing her name. She handed back the contract to Nayeon who brought it to Jennie.

Jisoo stood up and walked over.

She extended her arm and smiled at Jennie.

Jisoo: I'll be looking forward to working with you Miss Kim.

Jennie hesitated before grabbing Jisoo's hand.

'I'll make it up to you Jennie. I was never dishonest towards you. Please forgive me, I'll explain to you everything.'

Jennie released her hand and Jisoo could only smile.

Jisoo: I'll be on my way then.

Jennie nodded before bowing.

Jisoo looked at Jennie one last time before walking out the door, Rosé trailing behind her.

Rosé glanced at Jisoo's face. She can clearly see that her friend was sad, that she was in pain. She wanted to help, but she knew that there wasn't anything she could do but comfort her.

Chaeyoung: Unnie?

Jisoo: Hmm?

Chaeyoung: That was her wasn't it? The girl you've been in love with. The reason that you've been hurting all this time.

Jisoo looked towards her direction and smiled sadly.

Jisoo: Yeah.... It's her.

 

 


 

Here's Chapter one guys. It'll be awhile before I publish more chapters since I have my other book to write. But think of this chapter as sort of a teaser or sneak peak of "Don't Deserve You" to hype everyone up and spark your interest and excitement for what's to come. :)