Chapter 30

Don't Deserve You

 


*phone ringing*

Jennie wakes up groggily as she tries to locate her phone. After a few moments, she had finally found it and answered the call.

Jennie: Hello?

Jisoo: Jennie? It's Jisoo.

At the sound of Jisoo's voice, Jennie immediately sits up from the bed, her tiredness already forgotten.

Jennie: H-hey.

There was a slight pause on the other line in which Jennie waited for the older girl to reply.

Jisoo: So listen Jennie-ah... there's been some more complications with the project. I'm gonna have to stay here for another month.

Jennie: W-what?

Jisoo heaves out a sigh. 

Jisoo: I'm sorry Jen. I wanted to get back to you as soon as possible, but I can't at the moment.

Jennie: But why another month? That... that's so long. 

Jisoo: I know, but I have to. I'm sorry Jennie-ah.

Jennie took a moment to process everything in her mind. Another month without Jisoo. Why did the world have to be so cruel?

Jennie: It's alright Jisoo. I understand.

Jisoo: Will you be okay?

Jennie: Of course.

Jisoo: Remember to take care of yourself alright?

Jennie: I will. And... and the same goes to you too.

Jisoo: Hmm. 

Another pause.

Jennie: How have you been? Are you eating well? Sleeping well?

Jisoo: Everything is fine. I'm fine. What about you? Does your leg still hurt?

Jennie: Not really. I'm getting used to it now.

Jisoo: Don't walk around too much on it. You might injure yourself again.

Jennie: Hmm.

Jisoo: I gotta go now Jen. 

Jennie: Yeah, Okay.

Jisoo: Take care, okay?

Jennie: You too... 

Jisoo stays silent, not yet wanting to say goodbye.

Jennie: So um, I'll see you soon then? 

Jisoo: I'll see you soon then.

 

•••

 

"I still think it's still a little early for you to leave Unnie."

Jisoo turns to look at Chaeyoung for the 20th time that morning.

Jisoo: I told you that it's fine Chaeng-ah. Even Suho and Chang oppa have said that it was okay for me to leave.

Chaeyoung: But still...

Jisoo: I promise that if I'm feeling unwell, I will head back to the hospital.

Chaeyoung scoffs.

Chaeyoung: That's what you said last time and look what happened.

Jisoo: That fire was not my fault. 

Chaeyoung: It's not your fault, just like everything else isn't your fault.

Jisoo rubbed her eyes in frustration. 

Jisoo: I told you Chaeyoung-ah, Jennie isn't the reason why my condition worsened.

Chaeyoung stayed quiet and just continued to pack Jisoo's belongings. Jisoo releases a sigh. She just wished that Chaeyoung would be able to see Jennie in a different light.

She wanted her best friend to see Jennie in the way that she sees Jennie.

Sweet, kind, beautiful, and adorable Jennie that Jisoo herself had fallen in love with. Personality wise, Chaeyoung and Jennie were the same at times. 

Jisoo knew that Chaeyoung would come to like Jennie if she were to spend time with her. 

Jisoo: Why don't you give Jennie a chance Chaeng-ah? I know you're gonna like her once you get to know her.

Chaeyoung stops in what she was doing and turns to face Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: I'm not gonna befriend someone as irrational as her. 

Jisoo: It's not her fault that she doesn't know Chae. I'm the one who decided not to tell her.

Chaeyoung: Unnie, I'm really tired of this topic. Can we please just talk about this some other time?

Jisoo huffs out a breath and gives in to the younger's request.

Jisoo: Fine.

Chaeyoung turns back around and zips up Jisoo's bag.

Chaeyoung: All done. We can go now.

Jisoo nods and offered to take the bag off of Chaeyoung's hand.

Chaeyoung: I'll carry it Unnie. You might say that you're better but I'm still taking precautions.

Jisoo rolls her eyes at the younger before turning around and walked towards the door. 

As soon as Jisoo opened the door, she had spotted Suho pulling along a frustrated Soojoo towards the direction of her room. 

The 2 stops before Jisoo, leaving both her and Soojoo in shock. Soojoo immediately straightens up upon seeing Jisoo.

Chaeyoung walks out from behind Jisoo and glances at Suho. 

The older boy raises a finger towards his lips and gestures for Chaeyoung to follow him out.

Chaeyoung nodded and turns to look at Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: I'll wait for you in the car Unnie. Bye Soojoo Unnie.

Soojoo shot Chaeyoung a quick smile before reverting her attention back on Jisoo.

After Suho and Chaeyoung had left the 2 girls alone, neither of them had made the first move to speak. Not liking the awkward silence, Soojoo clears .

Soojoo: Hey.

Jisoo breaks into a small smile in return.

Jisoo: Hey... It's been a while.

Soojoo: ...How have you been?

Jisoo: I've been better. You?

Soojoo: Same here.

Silence.

Jisoo: You wanna find some place to sit?

Soojoo nodded, in which Jisoo returns her a small smile.

 

•••

 

The two girls were seated inside the hospital's cafeteria. Both were silent, not knowing how to start their conversation.

Jisoo shifted in her seat for a bit before deciding to break the silence.

Jisoo: I'm sorry Soojoo... I'm sorry for hurting you, and for pushing you away.

Soojoo gave Jisoo a half hearted smile.

Soojoo: We both know that it wasn't your fault Jisoo. It was mine. Right from the start, it had always been my fault. 

Jisoo looked down at her hands.

Jisoo: I missed you. 

Soojoo gazes at Jisoo speechlessly, startled by her sudden confession.

Soojoo: W-what?

Jisoo: I... I know that it's selfish of me. For wanting you to continue to be my friend despite being unable to reciprocate your feelings... But I miss you Jooya. 

Soojoo: I... I missed you too Sooya. After staying away from you all this time... I realized what a big mistake I had made... 

Jisoo stares at the other girl with broken eyes.

Soojoo: You weren't the one you pushed me away Jisoo, it was me who had pushed you away. I had distanced myself from you and everyone, even Junmyeon oppa. 

Soojoo takes in breath to steady herself before continuing.

Soojoo: I just felt so humiliated... I thought that I could change your heart... that after a while you would start to forget about that girl and see my feelings and affections towards you... But in the end, I had hurt both myself, and you. I was the one who had ruined our friendship.

Jisoo remains silent, debating whether if she should tell Soojoo the thoughts she has carried for the past 2 years.

Jisoo: ...If... if it were any different I would've fallen for you Soojoo.

Soojoo stares at Jisoo bewilderedly, not believing what she had just heard.

Soojoo: W-what?

Jisoo: Jennie is the first person I have ever loved. She had always been there for me whenever I needed her. There's no possible way for me to explain how much I love her...

Jisoo pauses for bit to look into Soojoo's eyes before continuing.

Jisoo: But you... you're the person who had loved me unconditionally. You were by my side to comfort me when I had missed Jennie. You stayed even when you were hurting. You were able to understand me better than even Chaeyoung or Junmyeon Oppa. That's what I've always loved about you Jooya. I love how much you care for those around you, how much you care for me...

Jisoo took a second to calm herself down.

Jisoo: But Jennie has always been the person in my heart... My other half, the one who completes me. The person who makes me want to live. Whenever I see her, my heart would feel like it's beating out of my chest. And whenever I'm with her, it feels like it'll always be just the 2 of us in the world. Jennie is my home...

Jisoo sees that Soojoo had started crying, she leans over and wipes away the latter's tears.

Jisoo: But with you, I know that I can allow myself to be vulnerable. Chaeyoung is too softhearted to be able to bare my sorrows. Junmyeon and Changmin Oppa have always felt like brother figures to me. There are things that I can't share with them; I also don't want them to be too overprotective. And with Jennie, I never want to burden her anymore than I have to. I want to be able to protect her, and be the one that she could rely on. 

Jisoo: You're the only person I have ever let see my most vulnerable self Soojoo-ah. I know that you would always be there for me when I need someone to listen to my problems, or when I need a shoulder to cry on. I hated living through the past year without you, especially with Jennie being back... I needed a friend... I needed you.

More tears poured down Soojoo's face after Jisoo had finished her monologue.

She was grateful that Jisoo had trusted her enough to be able to rely on her, that the latter had still considered her as a friend after everything that had happened between them. She wipes away her tears as she smiles at Jisoo.

Soojoo: Thank you Sooya. Thank you for telling me, for relying on me and still seeing me as your friend. I promise that I'll never turn away from you again. I'll be here for you when you need me, and I'll be here for you even when you don't need me. I'll always be here.

Jisoo's tears started to pour down after hearing Soojoo's words. She knew that she was being selfish, but she was grateful to have a friend like Soojoo by her side.

Taking the other girl's hand into her own, Jisoo gave Soojoo a real smile.

Jisoo: Hong Soojoo, you really are one of a kind. Thank you for being my friend.

 

•••

 

Jennie hums along to the music as she was mixing the batter.

Jisoo was coming back from her business trip today, and Jennie wanted to make her some macaroons.

She wanted to cook dinner for the older girl, but it was difficult to do so since she was at the moment, disabled.

Making macaroons didn't take much walking around, so she decided to make it instead.

Jisoo coming home had placed her in a good mood. With the older girl back, she would no longer be lonely. There was also the fact that Jennie had kind of missed having Jisoo around.

She knew that she was being a hypocrite, saying that she hated Jisoo, but then missing her when she's away. But after being married to the older girl for so long, it has become a daily routine for Jennie to just have Jisoo around.

Jennie smiles to herself as she imagined Jisoo's overjoyed face once she returns home to see that Jennie had made her macaroons. 

It was actually something that Jennie had used to do from back when they were dating. And every time that Jisoo would eat the macaroons that Jennie made, her eyes would light up and sparkle as if it's the best food she's ever eaten in the world.

Jennie knew that the older girl was being overdramatic, but it had made her happy that Jisoo appreciated her cooking so much. She made Jennie feel special, and loved.

Tbe music stopped as Jennie's phone was ringing. Quickly wiping her hands, she picked it up and answered the call.

Jennie: Hello?

Lisa: Unnie.

Jennie: Oh Lisa! Do you need something.

Lisa: No. I just wanted to call and let you know that Jisoo unnie is on her way home!

Jennie's heart suddenly started to beat faster. She tries to calm it down by taking in deep breaths, completely forgetting about Lisa on the other line.

Lisa: Unnie! Are you still there?

Jennie: O-oh y-yeah. How much longer until she arrives?

Lisa: Um, 30 minutes? Chaeyoung is driving her home.

Jennie: Oh okay. Thanks for letting me know Lalisa. 

Lisa: No problem Unnie. Now that your wife is back you can stop interrupting my dates with my girlfriend.

Jennie: Yah! 

Lisa giggles over the phone.

Lisa : I gotta go now Unnie. 

Jennie: Oh okay. Bye Lisa.

Lisa: Oh and before I hang up... 

Jennie waited patiently to listen to what the younger girl had to say.

Jennie: Tell me.

Lisa: Take Care of Jisoo unnie, Okay?

Jennie starts to panicked upon hearing Lisa's words.

Jennie: Why is something wrong with her?!

Lisa: Aish, of course not. Jisoo unnie is fine.

Jennie: Then why did you say that? You know you almost gave me a heart attack.

Lisa: I'm just saying. She just got back from a long business trip, and stayed 2 months away from home. So I just thought that you should take care of her a bit and show her how much you had missed her.

Jennie: I-I, I didn't miss her.

Lisa scoffs over the phone.

Lisa: Keep telling yourself that Unnie. 

Jennie: I didn't miss her Lisa. And since when did you start to care for Jisoo so much? I'm your best friend and I can barely walk right now, but yet you've rarely ever visited me this past month.

Lisa: I know, and I'm sorry Unnie. I've just been really busy lately. I'll make it up to you though, I promise. 

Jennie: Fine. 

Lisa: Alright. I really have to go now Unnie. I'll see you.

Jennie: Okay, bye Lisa.

 

•••

 

Jennie was waiting patiently in the kitchen for Jisoo to come home. She had just finished the macaroons and had placed them inside the fridge to cool.

Jennie grabbed her phone and checked the time.

'7:30 pm'

Jisoo should be back any time now. Heaving a sigh, Jennie set her phone down. She was about to lay her head to rest a while, when the doorbell rang.

Jennie quickly got up from her seat and made her way towards the door as fast as her crutches could take her.

Seeing that it was Jisoo, Jennie immediately unlocked the door and allowed the older girl to come inside.

Jisoo's face instantly brightens upon seeing Jennie. 

Jisoo: Nyeongan Jendeuk-ah!

Jennie didn't know what had came over her, but as soon as she had saw Jisoo's face, her heart started to speed up. 

After Jisoo had greeted her, Jennie lost all control over her body as she found herself rushing over and embraced the older girl in her arms.

Jisoo froze up upon Jennie's abrupt and odd behavior. However, just as she was about to return the hug, Jennie had realized what she had done and immediately pulled away.

The sweet smell of Jennie's perfume still lingered on Jisoo's clothes, causing her to yearn for the younger to wrap her in her arms once again.

The 2 girls lingered at the doorway for a moment before Jisoo broke the silence with a soft chuckle.

Jisoo: Did you really miss me that much?

Feeling embarrassed, Jennie clears and moved out of the doorway.

Jennie: Come inside.

Jennie spares Jisoo one last glance before hurrying into the house. Jisoo stares at Jennie longingly before following the latter inside.

As Jisoo took off her coat, she glances around the house. Surprisingly nothing looked different. She had figured that Jennie might've done some remodeling while she had stayed at home, but yet nothing seems to have changed.

Walking into the kitchen where the younger girl had headed, Jisoo was shocked to see freshly baked macaroons sitting on the table. 

Jisoo stares at Jennie bewilderedly, in which the latter returns her a small smile.

Jisoo: Did you make macaroons for me?

Jennie shrugs, trying to act like it's not a big deal. 

Jennie: You were gone for 2 months, I thought that I should do something nice.

Jisoo usually wasn't a person who cried easily, but she was so touched by Jennie's surprise that she had unknowingly burst into tears. 

Jennie was startled to see that Jisoo was crying. Rising from her seat, she hobbled her way over towards the older girl.

Jennie: Y-yah. Are you okay? Did I do something wrong.

Jisoo looks into Jennie's eyes as she shook her head. 

Jennie: Then why are you crying?

Jisoo returns the younger girl a tearful smile as her eyes sparkled with happiness.

Jisoo: Because I feel honored. 

Jennie eyes Jisoo oddly while trying to figure out if she had been serious. But by the tone of the older girl's voice, Jennie knew that she was dead serious.

Jennie scoffs in unbelievably.

Jennie: Yah, why would you be honored? Honored about what?

Jisoo: I feel honored because of you. I feel honored because you had cooked for me Jennie Kim.

Jisoo's face had inched towards Jennie's face as she spoke. The 2 girls' faces were only a mere centimeters apart, so that they could feel each other's breaths. Jisoo gazes into Jennie's eyes as she begins to lean in closer towards the latter's face. 

Jennie was frozen in her spot as she watched Jisoo inch closer towards her face. Her mind was telling her to move, but yet her heart had forced her to stay. 

Finally, after what had felt like forever, Jisoo's lips had found Jennie's as she closes the gap between them. A spark had ignited as soon their lips had connected. Jisoo had felt it, and she knew the Jennie had felt it too.

There was a feeling of deja-vu as Jisoo moved her lips along with Jennie's in perfect synchronization. The kiss felt exactly like the first kiss that Jisoo and Jennie had shared from when they had first started dating. 

It was magical and captivating, and Jisoo desired for more. 

But she couldn't. 

With every ounce of effort that she had, Jisoo had forced her to push away from Jennie's soft lips. The younger girl hasn't moved from her spot as she stares at Jisoo with a dumbfounded look.

Jisoo shook her head as she tried to shake away her lingering feelings. 

Jisoo: I-I... I'm so sorry Jennie-ah... I-I didn't mean to. I didn't... Gosh I'm such an idiot... 

Jisoo looks back towards Jennie to see that the latter still hasn't even moved yet. Jisoo ran a hand frustratedly through her hair as she tries to calm herself down. She was such jerk. Taking advantage of Jennie like that, she had violated the contract. 

Jisoo: Idiot... idiot... idiot...

Jisoo glances at Jennie once again before shaking her head. 

Jisoo: I'm sorry that I kissed you Jennie... I should... I'm gonna head up to my room.

Before Jennie even had a chance to reply, Jisoo had already grabbed her stuff and rushed upstairs. Jennie still remained glued to her spot as she tried to wrap her mind around everything that had just happened.

Things that had just happened way too quickly for her to process.

She kissed Jisoo. Jisoo kissed her. The two of them were kissing... But then Jisoo pulled away. Why did she kiss Jisoo? Why didn't she pull away? Why did Jisoo pull away? Why couldn't she control herself?

Jennie allows herself to fall back into a chair as she tries once again to process everything that had happened. 

Jisoo had kissed her, and she had kissed back. But then Jisoo had pulled away. Jennie took in a deep breath as she looks up towards the door of Jisoo's bedroom. 

She should be grateful that Jisoo had pulled away when she had, for if she didn't, Jennie didn't know what else the two of them could've done in that moment. But why? Why was her heart suddenly aching so badly?