Chapter 16

Don't Deserve You

 

Jisoo is finally released from the hospital today, just 2 days before the opening ceremony of the new resort. Jisoo was so proud of Chaeyoung for handling everything so well even with Jisoo's absence from the company.

She was also proud of Jennie, despite the latter not knowing, for accomplishing such an extravagant yet burdensome task. 

Knowing the person Jennie is, Jisoo knew that she must've been stressing everyday through out these 3 months by trying to make sure that there were no flaws. Again, Jisoo was struck with guilt for falling ill in the middle of such a huge and important event.

Not to mention the nervous jitters that she has been feeling ever since she's been engaged to Jennie.

Jisoo was currently packing her bags along with the help of Chaeyoung who had taken the day off to take care of her.

Jisoo: Thanks again for helping Chaeyoung-ah. But you know that I can take care of myself right? 

Chaeyoung: Of course I do unnie. I just want to make sure that you feel comfortable. I mean, you have been cooped up in this hospital for about 3 weeks now.

Jisoo shook her head while laughing at the younger girl.

Jisoo: Yah, you do know that I'm older than you right? It's not like I'm a child.

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes.

Chaeyoung: You might be older than me unnie, but I'm not so sure about the part where you're not a child.

Jisoo pouted.

Jisoo: What do you mean?

Chaeyoung: Unnie, are you serious? Come on, you're even more childish than I am. Scratch that, you're even more childish than Lisa, and that's saying something.  Ahh~ Sometimes I even wonder if I'm friends with a 5 year old.

Jisoo: Yah Park Chaeyoung!

Chaeyoung burst into a fit of laughter upon seeing Jisoo's adorably annoyed face.

Changmin: Now what's all of this commotion about?

The 2 girls turned to see Changmin as he entered the room, and greeted him happily. Pointing to Chaeyoung, he jokingly asked.

Changmin: Have you been teasing my patient while I'm gone?

Chaeyoung: Of course not oppa. You know I would never do that. I only told unnie the truth.

Changmin: Tsk tsk.

Changmin walked over to Jisoo and wrapped one arm around her shoulders. The latter smirked at Chaeyoung, thinking that she had won this battle with Changmin on her side.

Changmin: Yah, how can you be so careless Chaeng? You know how sensitive this 5 year old is.

Jisoo's face morphed from a confident expression into a bewildered and betrayed one.

Jisoo: Oppa~ How could you side with Chaeyoung against me? I'm hurt.

Changmin shrugged his shoulders.

Changmin: It's true.

Jisoo pouted, causing an eruption of laughter in the room. The CEO rolled her eyes and continued to pack her bags.

Jisoo: Whatever, you guys can laugh all you want. I'm just glad to finally be able to leave this hospital.

Changmin scrunched his face up in mock annoyance.

Changmin: Yah, do you really hate me that much?

Jisoo laughed. 

Jisoo: Oppa, you visit me for like 10 minutes a day. Do you know how bored I was the rest of the time? The only highlight of my day is when Jaehyun comes to chat with me.

Changmin: What? It's not my fault, I'm a busy guy.

Jisoo smiled at the older boy and suddenly remembered about Jaehyun's surgery. 

Jisoo: Hey Oppa, can I ask you for a favor?

Chaeyoung stood by quietly, a confused expression on her face wondering about what the favor was.

Changmin: Sure, anything Sooya.

Jisoo: About Jaehyun. I was wondering if you could take him as your patient and perform his surgery... I mean, you're the chief of surgery and the best heart surgeon here, so I thought maybe you would be the best fit for Jaehyun's surgery.

Changmin: I don't mind the suggestion Jisoo, but let me tell you that Dr. Son is just as capable as I am to perform this surgery. He may be a new surgeon, but he's very talented. I had promised that I would allow him to take on this next surgery.

Jisoo: I know Oppa. I just feel more assured if you're the one doing the surgery. Can you please accept?

Chaeyoung wanting to help Jisoo convince the older boy decided to join in.

Chaeyoung: I'm on unnie's side Oppa. Why don't you let Dr. Son perform the next surgery? I think Unnie just wants Jaehyun's safety to be placed in the hands of someone that she trusts.

After a few minutes of thinking it over, Changmin gave in to Jisoo's request.

Changmin: Alright, I'll do it.

Jisoo's face morphs into a bright smile and she high hives Chaeyoung in joy. Rushing over to Changmin, she threw her arms around the older boy and embraced him.

Jisoo: Thanks oppa.

Changmin chuckled and patted her head.

Changmin: Anytime kid.

Jisoo pulled away and scrunched her face up.

Jisoo: Not a kid.

Chaeyoung laughed out loud at her reaction.

Chaeyoung: Yah Unnie, you're acting a lot like Jaehyun right now.

Nodding in agreement, Changmin chuckled at his friend.

Changmin: She's right Chu. You do sound a lot like Jaehyun right now.

Jisoo scrunched up her face in annoyance, causing the other 2 to laugh.

Jisoo: Whatever, forget about you guys.

Looking up at Changmin, she asked.

Jisoo: So when can the surgery take place oppa? And when can I pay for Jaehyun's hospital bills?

Changmin suddenly went rigged and became awkward upon Jisoo's questions. Jisoo was confused as of to why the older boy had behaved the way that he did. She turned to Chaeyoung who was just as baffled as she was.

Jisoo: What's the matter oppa?

Changmin stuffed his hands in the pockets of his coat before replying to Jisoo.

Changmin: The last heart that had matched with Jaehyun's blood type was given to another patient a few days ago...

Jisoo couldn't believe her ears. She could only stare at Changmin incredulously.

Jisoo: What? 

Chaeyoung approached Jisoo and placed her arm around the older girl's shoulder as she tried to comfort her.

Chaeyoung: What do you mean oppa? What about Jaehyun? 

Changmin: I'm sorry guys. But the patient who had received the heart was on the verge of dying... She needed a heart right away in order to live. 

Chaeyoung: But Jaehyun needs a heart...

Jisoo: Why didn't you tell me about this sooner oppa? I could've been searching for a heart.

Changmin shook his head.

Changmin: I'm sorry Sooya, you were currently recovering and I didn't want the news to stress you out and affect your recovery.

Jisoo: But Jaehyun...

Jisoo abruptly looked up and stared into Changmin's eyes.

Jisoo: ...The heart that Suho oppa had found for me... Just give it to Jaehyun, I can wait.

While Changmin could only stare at Jisoo speechlessly, Chaeyoung had immediately protested against the idea.

Chaeyoung: Of course not! Unnie are you crazy?! Suho oppa had finally found a heart for you and yet we're not even sure if the family agrees to give it up, and... and... you-you just want to give it away again?! 

Jisoo turned to face Chaeyoung, the sorrow and guilt evident on her face.

Jisoo: He needs it more than I do Chaeyoung-ah. I-I promised him that I would help cure him... I can't break that promise.

Chaeyoung: And I can't afford to lose you unnie! Why are you always like this?!

Jisoo: I--

Before Jisoo was able to utter a single word, she was interrupted by Changmin.

Changmin: STOP!!!

The 2 girls along shifted their attention towards Changmin. The older boy took a deep breath before speaking.

Changmin: We are currently still unsure if the heart is compatible with your blood Jisoo. And even if we did, we can't give that heart to Jaehyun because his blood isn't compatible to your blood. Meaning, his body will reject the heart if we do the transplant.

Crestfallen, Jisoo took a seat on the hospital bed.

Jisoo: Then what about Jaehyun?

Changmin: Don't worry Chu, I already contacted Suho, and he's doing everything he can to find a heart for Jaehyun. I'm sure it won't take long before we hear back from him. 

Jisoo nodded. Chaeyoung sat herself down by Jisoo's side on the bed.

Chaeyoung: Everything will be fine Unnie. Jaehyun will be okay.

Jisoo: Does Mr. and Mrs. Jung know about this?

Changmin nodded.

Changmin: They also didn't want me to tell you because they didn't want you to worry.

The information about Jaehyun's surgery put the room into a tense and solemn mood. The ringing of Jisoo's phone broke the stiff silence within the room.

Jisoo grabbed her phone and answered it without checking the caller ID.

Jisoo: Hello?

Jennie: It's Jennie.

Jisoo: .... Hey.

Changmin and Chaeyoung exchanged looks with each other, wondering who the person on the other line was.

Jisoo: Is there something wrong?

Jennie: No. I was just wondering if you're released from the hospital yet.

Jisoo: Yeah, I am.

Jennie: Well then let's meet... To discuss about our engagement.

Jisoo: O-okay. Where do you wanna meet?

Jennie: At 'The Lotus'. I'll meet you there for dinner.

Jisoo: Alright, I'll see you there.

Jisoo hung up the phone and turned to come face to face with Chaeyoung's questioning look.

Chaeyoung: Who was that Unnie?

Jisoo: It's Jennie. We're meeting for dinner. 

Chaeyoung gave a side way glance towards Jisoo before asking.

Chaeyoung: Are you sure about this?

Jisoo gave her a small smile and nodded.

Jisoo: Don't worry Chaeyoung-ah, I'll be fine.

The younger girl looked towards Changmin who gave her reassured nod. Chaeyoung turned back towards Jisoo and went to grab her things.

Chaeyoung: We should get home and let you have some rest then Unnie.

Jisoo: Alright. 

Jisoo glanced towards Changmin and gave him a smile.

Jisoo: I guess I'll see you Oppa.

Changmin: Bye Chu. Take care. And you too Chaeyoung-ah.

Chaeyoung smiled.

Chaeyoung: Of course Oppa. You take care as well.

And with that Chaeyoung led Jisoo out of the hospital room.

 

•••

 

When Jisoo had arrived at the diner, she was already 5 minutes late due to traffic.

Worried that she had kept Jennie waiting, the CEO quickly approached a waiter and asked where the younger was seated.

The waiter led Jisoo to Jennie's table where she sat as beautiful as ever in a stunning black dress. Jisoo cleared before approaching the table.

The night hasn't even started, and yet her hands are already sweating. Jisoo could feel butterflies fluttering within her stomach due to her nervous state.

She could literally feel chills traveling down her spine as she stared into Jennie's cold piercing gaze.

Jisoo: Hey...

Jennie: Have a seat.

Turning to the waiter Jisoo gave him her gratitude and sent him away before sitting down.

The 2 girls sat in silence, neither one making a move to speak up. But after a few minutes, Jennie broke the silence by speaking first.

Jennie: We're engaged... 

Jisoo could only remain silent, unsure of what to say.

Jennie: I'm still trying to grasp onto the idea of us getting married like— How? 

Jennie looked at Jisoo, waiting for her to say something, but still the latter didn't utter a word.

Jennie: Out of all people, I'm still wondering why my parents chose you. I mean... I was dating Hanbin and was perfectly happy...

Jisoo could feel the guilt eating away inside her heart. She knew that by doing this she was hurting Jennie, but there was nothing else she could've done.

Jennie: Could you at least just say something besides sitting there in silence?

Jisoo: I-I'm sorry...

Jennie scoffed.

Jennie: You're sorry? If you really are sorry, then maybe you shouldn't have agreed Jisoo.

Jisoo looked down at hands that were intertwined on her lap. It was less intimidating to look at than Jennie's face.

Jennie: Tell me, why did you accept?

Jisoo: I... I...

Jisoo stopped. What was she supposed to tell Jennie? There was no way that Jisoo could explain to her. 

Jennie raised her eyebrow, waiting for Jisoo to continue.

Jennie: You what?

Jisoo: ...I wanted to help you.

Jennie jeered at her response.

Jennie: Are you being serious right now? How is making me miserable helping me? 

Jisoo once again was left with no words. 

Jennie: Did you think that if I married you, I would suddenly forget about all the things you did to me and just magically fall in love with you again? That by trapping me into this marriage you could force me into loving you?

Jisoo looked up at Jennie, hurt by the younger girl's words.

Jisoo: Th-that was never my intention Jennie. Do... do you really think that lowly of me?

Jennie: Yes.

Jisoo clenched her hands together in order to stop them from trembling. To hear Jennie say these words to her was more painful than the pain of her heart illness.

Jisoo: I don't intend on trapping you into anything Jennie-ah. After we get married, you can do whatever you want, and meet up with anyone you want to meet. I won't stop you.

Jennie laughed bitterly.

Jennie: You're joking right? What would the point of getting married be then?

Jisoo heaved out a deep sigh.

Jisoo: Just think of this as a fake marriage, okay? We're only married by the law and in the eyes of the public. But individually we're our own person, you have your life and I have mine. There's no pushing and pulling, and I won't force you to do anything against your will.

Jennie eyes Jisoo suspiciously.

Jennie: Why should I trust you? You've lied to me before. 

Again like a blade, Jennie's words had pierced a hole right through Jisoo's already aching heart. Forcing a bitter smile, the older girl asked.

Jisoo: Then what would you like me to do Jennie? Cut open my hand and swear upon my life?

Jennie: I just need someway to make sure that you're telling me the truth Jisoo.

Jisoo massaged her temple.

Jisoo: Why don't we make a contract?

Jennie tilted her head to the side, a questioning look on her face.

Jennie: What do you mean by making a contract?

Without replying to Jennie, Jisoo just looked around and called for a waiter.

Waiter: Is there anything I can help you with Miss?

Jisoo: May I please get a piece of paper and a pen?

The waiter had a confused expression but then complied to Jisoo's request. He left the table and came back a few moments later with the items.

Jisoo: Thank you.

After the waiter had left, Jisoo turned back to Jennie and handed her the piece of paper and pen.

Jisoo: Just write down the requirements you have for this marriage and we'll both sign it, promising to never violate these rules.

Jennie looked at Jisoo skeptically before grabbing the paper and pen and started writing.

Jennie: Any requirements you say?

Jisoo nodded.

Jisoo: Just list them down.

1. We each have our own life.
2. Sleep in your own room.
3. No dining together.
4. We're allowed to see and meet whoever we want to meet.
5. No forcing each other to do anything against their will.
6. No spying on each other.

After writing everything down, Jennie signed the sheet of paper and handed it over to Jisoo. The older girl looked at it for a few minutes and heaved a sigh. 

After debating about it inside her head, Jisoo decided to sign the alleged contract.

Jisoo: Is that it?

Jennie responded with a nod and Jisoo set the paper aside.

Jisoo: Have your parents decided when to announce the engagement?

Jennie: They've decided that since the opening ceremony for the new resort is only 2 days away, it would be a good opportunity to announce it then, since a lot of news stations will be there to film everything. Not to mention the CEOs from other companies will be there to take a look at the building as well.

Jisoo nodded in agreement.

Jisoo: It sounds appropriate.

Jennie: Then I guess our conversation here is done Jisoo. I will see you on the day of the ceremony.

As Jennie got up to leave, Jisoo held her back.

Jisoo: Wait.

Jennie looked at the older girl, wondering what she wanted.

Jisoo: Lets have dinner first before you leave.

Jennie: Jisoo I—

Jisoo: Please Jennie, it's my only request.

After a few moments, Jennie decided to sit back down. Jisoo smiled at her in gratitude before calling for a waiter to take their orders.