Chapter 44

Don't Deserve You

 

Hanbin was once again in his father's study. The elder man had been quiet ever since Hanbin had stepped into the room.

After a few more moments of silence, the elder had turned around to face his son.

Abeoji: Have you found him?

Hanbin: Yes sir.

Hanbin watches as his father gives him a satisfied nod.

Abeoji: Where is that fool?

Hanbin: He is outside Abeoji.

Abeoji: Bring him in.

Hanbin steps outside and returns a few moments after with an elderly man in his mid fourties. 

The man walked in with confidence, despite the fear that he was currently feeling for himself, as well as for his family.

Hanbin's father smiles at the sight of the man before him.

Abeoji: Jung Il Woo! How have you been old friend!

Il Woo: What do you want from me Lee Seungi?

Seungi leans forward in his seat as he smirked at Il Woo.

Seungi: Calm down Il Woo. Is this your way of greeting  your old friend? Have a seat so that we could catch up.

The younger man stood in his spot, his eyes cold.

Il Woo: You're no friend of mine. Tell me why you have brought me here.

Hanbin watches as his father neatly folded his hands together and gazed over Il Woo with calculating eyes.

The elder clears his throat before releasing a sinister chuckle.

Seungi: I want you to tell Kim Jisoo the truth about that accident 4 years ago.

Il Woo's eyes hardened as he thought back to the dreadful day.

Il Woo: What are playing at, you old rat?

Seungi shrugs nonchalantly.

Seungi: You're one of the only people who really knows what had happened in that accident.

Il Woo: I won't do it. We all promised not to say a word about that day!

The elder man chuckled as he gestures for Hanbin to leave the room. The younger bowed, and hesitates for a bit as he glances at Il Woo before excusing himself.

Seungi waited for his son to close the door before shifting his attention back towards Il Woo.

Seungi: I heard that you and your family are faring pretty well these days Il Woo. Your son is 9 years old now?

Il Woo: Don't you dare lay a finger on my family!

Seungi smirks devilishly as he leans back in his chair.

Seungi: What I need from you is simple Il Woo. I just want you to reveal the story behind the accident that had caused her parents' death. 

Il Woo: You know I can't do that! I—

Seungi: I have a solution to your predicament Il Woo. The story will not be including your involvement in that accident.

Il Woo shakes his head as he collapses his knees.

Il Woo: I've committed so much sins in my life, especially towards the Kims. Kim Seung Hyun had been one of my closest friends, and yet I've played a part in turning his daughter into an orphan! We lied to her all this time, and now you want me to tell her that her parents' death wasn't just an accident after 4 years?!

Seungi shrugs nonchalantly, a smug smile on his face.

Seungi: We're telling her the truth now aren't we?

Il Woo: It's been 4 years Seungi! 4 years since her parents' passed away! Why can't you just let it go?! 

Seungi: Think about your family Il Woo. I'm giving you the choice to follow along with my plans. I'm planning on revealing the truth to her, with or without your help. I just can't guarantee the level of your involvement to the accident in my second option.

Il Woo sneered at the man sitting before him.

Il Woo: You sly old hag! He was your friend too! The girl thinks of you as someone she trusts! How could you do this?!

Seungi's face hardens as he slammed his fist onto the table.

Seungi: If he was my friend, then he wouldn't have betrayed me! 

Il Woo: And what about Jisoo? She's been through enough Seungi. She lost both of her parents that year!

Seungi snarled. 

Seungi: Would you rather go to jail then?! I'm doing this to save both of our asses! Kim Jiyong is back in Korea! 

Il Woo closes his eyes as he feigns ignorance.

Il Woo: And why is that a problem? He's in the same boat as us.

Seungi: We both know what kind of person that man is. He was about to confess everything to Seung Hyun 4 years ago. What makes you think he won't confess to his sins now? We have to stop him before it's too late!

Il Woo watches as the elder man stands up from his seat and makes his way over towards him.

Il Woo: If Jiyong is still the same man that he was in the past, then I know that he's been living in guilt all these years. You made sure of that! Isn't that enough for you? 

Seungi: Of course not! Don't you get?! That fool was the reason our plan hadn't succeeded! If he reveals everything, I can assure you that he has no intentions on excluding us from the blame! By then we'll all be thrown in jail!

Il Woo broke down in tears at the thought of leaving his family behind. 

His son was still young, and he couldn't let his wife raise their child on her own. They were already in a difficult place as it is.

Il Woo: Why are you doing this? I did what you asked of me. I've lived in guilt and shame for the past 4 years because of the sins I've committed... Why can't you just let me go?

Seungi chuckles amusingly.

Seungi: Because you're the only person that can make this believable Il Woo. You're the only one I know who can carry out my plan without any flaws. 

Il Woo closes his eyes as he takes in a deep breath.

Il Woo: And you promise not to harm my family?

Seungi: As long as you follow my orders.

Il Woo hesitates for a bit before reluctantly nodding in compliance.

Il Woo: I-I'll do it.

Seungi smiles as he nodded in satisfaction. 

Seungi: I'm glad that you have made the right decision Il woo.

Seungi made his way back towards his desk, and threw a stack of newspapers at Il Woo.

The younger man slowly picks up the stack of newspapers to see that it was the one that had been written about the accident.

Il Woo: How... how do you still have these? I thought we destroyed all the evidence years ago.

Seungi releases a scoff.

Seungi: Did you really think I would destroy all the evidence that connects Kim Jiyong's involvement in this accident?

Il Woo sneered at the elder man.

Il Woo: You bastard.

Seungi: Think what you want. But I'm certain you know what to do with these. 

Il Woo: What are you really playing at Seungi? I know that silencing Jiyong isn't the only reason why you're doing this. There's something else you want isn't it?

Seungi laughed wickedly as nodded in agreement.

Seungi: You're right old friend...I also want Dream for myself. 

Il Woo: Haven't you had enough?! That girl lost her parents! It's enough that you want me to tell her the truth behind her parents' death! But now you want Dream as well?! Enough is enough, Seungi! 

Seungi's eyes turned cold as he glares at Il Woo threateningly.

Seungi: It's not enough unless I say so! If you want me to leave your family alone, then you should stay out of my business Jung Il Woo.

Il Woo: You're worse than the devil!

Seungi: Shut your mouth! My patience is running thin with you!

Il Woo releases a sigh as he shakes his head in confusion.

Il Woo: What's your plan Seungi? How is any of this going to help you take over Dream?

Abeoji: You'll find out soon. But for now... Don't disappoint me Il Woo. You know how much I hate it, when people cross me.

 

•••

 

Jisoo made her way through the company as she headed towards her office. It has been a few weeks since she had taken off her cast.

The CEO had went back to work right away, relieving her wife of her stress and heavy workload.

Chaeyoung: Unnie!

Jisoo turns around to see Chaeyoung approaching her.

Jisoo: Hey Chaeng. What's up?

The younger girl shakes her head in confusion.

Chaeyoung: I have no idea. But this anonymous envelope came in for you today. There's no name on it or anything.

Jisoo takes the envelope from Chaeyoung's and looks it over. She glances back up and shoots the younger girl a grateful smile.

Jisoo: Thanks Chaeyoung-ah. I'm gonna head up and check to see what it is.

Chaeyoung nodded.

Chaeyoung: Let me know what it is, once you find out.

Jisoo: I will.

 

•••

 

Jisoo takes a seat at her desk and picks up the envelope. Heaving out a sigh, she looks over it once more before opening it.

Taking out the contents of the envelope, Jisoo realizes that it was just a bundle of old newspapers.

Puzzled as to why someone had sent her a bunch of old newspapers, Jisoo picks one up and reads the title.

'BREAKING NEWS!!! THE DEATH OF DREAM ENTERPRISES' CEO, KIM SEUNG HYUN AND HIS WIFE WASN'T AN ACCIDENT!!!!'

Jisoo's eyes widened in shock as she stared at the contents written on the newspaper. With trembling hands, she slowly picks up another one to find that it shared the same message.

'BREAKING NEWS!!! THE TRUTH BEHIND THE DEATHS OF DREAM ENTERPRISES' CEOS!!! ACCIDENT OR MURDER???'

Jisoo looks at the newspapers with disbelief as she flips through each one, all of them containing the same information. 

'It wasn't an accident.' 

'Her parents' death wasn't an accident.'

Tears started to pour uncontrollably down Jisoo's cheeks as she tries to make sense of what she has just read. She raises a hand to cover in order to control her sobbing.

Jisoo: No... it can't be...

Jisoo frantically searches for her phone and immediately dials Chaeyoung's number. A few seconds later, the younger girl picked up. But before Chaeyoung could user a word, Jisoo had already started speaking. 

Jisoo: Chaeyoung-ah, I need you up here. Right now. 

Not giving the younger any time to respond, Jisoo quickly hangs up the phone. She looks back at the newspapers and ran a hand through her face to calm herself down. 

Jisoo could feel her body start to tremble as each minute passes by.

'Who had sent her this?'

'Why now?'

'What do they want?'

When the door to her room opens, Jisoo glances up to see Chaeyoung. The younger's face was painted with worry as soon as she had seen the state her friend was in.

Chaeyoung: Unnie, what's wrong?

Jisoo: Are... are you sure, you don't know who sent me that envelope?

Chaeyoung: Is something wrong unnie?

Jisoo slams her fist onto the table as she loses her patience.

Jisoo: God damn it, just answer me Chaeyoung! 

The older girl's outburst had startled Chaeyoung. She stares at her friend in shock before shaking her head.

Chaeyoung: No... I-I don't.

Chaeyoung steps forward but was stopped by Jisoo.

Jisoo: Okay... You... you can go now.

Chaeyoung: Unnie...

Jisoo: Please, Chaeyoung-ah.

Chaeyoung stares at Jisoo worriedly. Throughout the years of knowing Jisoo, she has never seen her friend act like this. Something was wrong. But what was it, that had caused Jisoo to behave like this? She needed to tell Jennie.

Chaeyoung: Give me a call if you need anything unnie. 

Jisoo remains silent as she turns her chair to face the other direction. Chaeyoung spares the older one last glance before exiting the room.

Jisoo heaves out a sigh as soon as she hears the click of the door, indicating that Chaeyoung had left the room. She releases a string of curses at herself for yelling at the younger girl earlier. Chaeyoung didn't deserve that. 

Jisoo closes her eyes more tears made its way down her face. She thought back to the envelopes and what they meant. 

The ringing of her phone snapped Jisoo out of her thoughts. Looking at the caller ID, she realized that it was an unknown caller. 

Immediately, she picks up the call and spoke into the phone.

Jisoo: Who is this?

Caller: I assume you've received the package I sent you.

Jisoo: Who are you? What are you playing at?

Caller: I just want to let you know the truth CEO Kim. 

Jisoo: You expect me to believe you?

Caller: I know that you'll believe me. I'm not lying. I know the truth behind your parents' death, as well as the person who is responsible for it. 

Jisoo's grip on her phone tightens as she listens in closely to the mysterious person.

Jisoo: Tell me what you know.

Caller: I will, but not now... Tomorrow at noon, meet me at Jeguk Hotel.

Jisoo: Why now? After 4 years! Why are you only telling me now?!

There was silence on the other line, causing Jisoo to think that they had hung up the call. However, a second after, she heard the person release a sigh.

Caller: I want the person who had caused your parents' death, to get what they deserve. I'll explain to you everything tomorrow. 

And with that, the person he hung up the phone.

Jisoo: Hello? Hey! Argh!!

Jisoo stands up from her seat and throws her phone across the room. She ran a hand through her hair before throwing the stack of newspapers as well.

Suddenly, a throb of pain erupted in her head, causing her to collapse to the ground. 

Jisoo shook her head in order to try and ease the pain, but it only got worse. Making her way over towards her desk, she reaches inside the drawers and grabbed the pills for her headache.

Gulping it down, she leaned her head against the desk and waited for the pain to subside.

As Jisoo sat on the ground, she thought about what she had just learned about her parents' death, and allows herself to break down.

A knock came from her door, but she didn't bother to reply. 

A few moments after, the door opens as Jennie slowly makes her way into the room.

Jennie: Jisoo?

Not getting a response from the older girl, Jennie made her way over towards Jisoo's desk to find her wife's huddled form on the floor.

Jennie: Jisoo...

Jennie knelt down by the older's side and immediately pulls Jisoo into her arms.

Jennie: Hey... what's wrong? 

Jisoo tries to speak, but finds that she was unable to. It hurt too much to speak out loud. And she didn't want to burden Jennie with her problems. Not until she talks to the man tomorrow.

Jennie: What's wrong Chu? You're making me worried.

Jisoo shakes her head as she buries her head into Jennie's shoulder.

Jisoo: Just... hold me... please...

Jennie hesitates for a bit before nodding her head. She knew that her wife needed time, her questions could be answered later when Jisoo finally calms down.

Jennie leans over and gently kisses Jisoo's head.

Jennie: I'm here Jisoo... I'm not going anywhere.