Chapter 9

Don't Deserve You

 

The next day Jennie came to work. As usual, Nayeon waits by the front desk to inform Jennie about her schedule for the day as they walk to her office.

Nayeon: Ok Miss Kim. So today you have a meeting with the shareholders of our comapany, lunch with Mr. Yoon, another visit to the resort, and... a meeting with CEO Kim of Dream.

Jennie stopped in her tracks and did a double take. Turning to Nayeon, she asked.

Jennie: Why do I have a meeting with CEO Kim? We just met yesterday.

Nayeon took a glance at her notes regarding the meeting in question.

Nayeon: According to this, you and CEO Kim had planned this meeting last week to discuss about the opening ceremony for the new resort.

A look of recognition crossed Jennie's face as she remebered planning that out with Jisoo. She mentally face-palmed her self for the inconvenience of the meeting.

After her argument with Jisoo yesterday, Jennie doubted that any of them was comfortable with talking with one another. But then again, business is business. She'll just have to swallow her own pride and try to get through a civil and affective meeting with Jisoo.

Jennie: So what's the first thing on my list?

Bayern took a glance at the clipboard before replying.

Nayeon: I believe that it's your meeting with CEO Kim.

Jennie nodded.

Nayeon: Would you like for me to set you guys up for brunch somewhere? Or will you be meeting at Dream?

Jennie shook her head.

Jennie: I'll just meet her up at Dream. It's more convenient that way.

Nayeon: Ok then. I will handle the company while you're gone.

Jennie: Thank you Nayeon. I should get going now, I appreciate your help a lot.

Nayeon: No problem Miss Kim, it's all in a day's work.

Jennie gave her secretary a smile before walking off to her car.

It was a 30 minute drive from Jennie's company to Dream. 

On the way, the CEO was trying to think of ways to talk to Jisoo without making it awkward between them.

But through the whole 30 minutes, she thought of nothing. Heaving a sigh, she parked her car before walking into Dream.

Jennie was walking towards the direction of the elevator, when she heard someone call out.

"Excuse me! Miss!"

She turned around, and walked towards the front desk. 

Jennie: I'm sorry, but we're you calling for me?

Employee: Oh Miss Kim, I'm sorry I didn't recognize you!

Jennie: No worries. 

Employee: But if you're here to see our CEO, then I'm afraid you're out of luck. 

Jennie furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

Jennie: Is she not here?

The employee shook her head.

Employee: No.

Jennie: Do you happen to know why? 

The employee sighed.

Employee: Our CEO is sick and was admitted to the hospital just yesterday.

Jennie was shocked to hear the news. 'Was she caught in the rain yesterday?' Looking back at the employee, she asked.

Jennie: Is she okay? When will she be able to leave?

The latter shook her head.

Employee: I'm not exactly sure. But I heard Rosé said that she might be out for a few weeks.

Jennie: A few weeks?!

A couple of heads turned towards Jennie's direction, but then they instantly resumed to what they were doing.

Jennie: What do you mean a few weeks, she's just sick. I mean at most it would be a few days, but weeks?

Employee: I'm afraid you're gonna have to talk to Rosé or CEO Kim herself because I'm not exactly sure of the reason either.

Jennie nodded softly.

Jennie: Ok, thank you. 

Employee: It was my pleasure.

Jennie turned around and headed back outside. Her thoughts wandered back to yesterday and the uneasiness she had felt while looking at the rain. 

'Why would she be in the hospital for that long?'

'Is something else wrong with her?'

Jennie shook her head and said to herself.

Jennie: It's doesn't matter Kim Jennie. She's no longer someone you care for and she has nothing to do with you. Stop thinking about her.

Jennie started towards her car once more but then stopped in her tracks.

Jennie: But as business partners I should still visit her to see if she's okay. It's the right thing to do.

Jennie nodded to herself and turned back around. She hesitated once again. 'But is it normal for business partners to visit each other?'

'I mean she can't be that sick right?'

Jennie finally made up her mind and decided to head back inside.

She walked towards the front desk to meet the startled face of the employee.

Employee: Miss Kim, you're still here! Is there anything you need?

Jennie smiled.

Jennie: I was actually just wondering if you know what hospital CEO Kim is in. I just thought I should stop by and see how she's doing.

Employee: Oh I'm sorry. I don't actually know which hospital. Rosé is the only one who knows and she's not here yet.

Jennie didn't know why, but she had felt disappointed after hearing the employee's response.

Jennie: Well um, do you know when she'll be here? I can wait awhile...

'Wait what the heck? Did I just say that I'll wait? What's wrong with you Kim Jennie? Why are you wasting your time right now?'

Employee: I'm actually not sure because usually she would be here by now. But I can try and— Oh look there she is!

Jennie turned her head to the door and saw Rosé quickly making her way towards the elevator. The employee waved her hand to wave the red head over.

Employee: Rosé!

Startled Rosé turned towards the voice and made her way over. 

Rosé: Suzy-shi, is everything okay?

Suzy (employee): Oh no, it's just that Miss Kim of Kim Corporation wants to know which hospital our CEO is admitted at.

Rosé looked over at Jennie and the CEO could've sworn that she saw a look of distaste in the red head's eyes.

'What was that?'

Rosé cleared before replying.

Rosé: Um Miss Kim, I'm sorry. But our CEO is not in the best condition to see anyone right now. You see she still hasn't woken up yet.

Jennie did a double take after hearing the latter's response.

Jennie: Wait, she hasn't woken up yet? But wasn't she admitted in yesterday? 

Rosé nodded slowly.

Rosé: She was. But you see, our CEO's condition isn't at its best right now. Which is why she needs all the rest she can get at the moment.

Jennie: Can you tell me what's wrong with her?

Rosé searched her brain and tried to think of a reason to cover up Jisoo's illness.

After a few short moments she turned back to the older girl.

Rosé: CEO Kim is running a high fever. She's also carrying a lot of stress from overworking these days so she needs rest and nourishment.

Jennie nodded slowly, seeming to believe the red head. But in reality she could feel like something was off with the younger girl's response. It still didn't explain why Jisoo had to remain in the hospital for such a long period of time.

The CEO just brushed it off and replied focused her attention back on Rosé.

Jennie: Ok then. Thank you Secretary Park. And please, help me send my regards to CEO Kim and that I hope she quickly returns back to health.

Rosé responded with a tight nod. 

Rosé: Thank you Miss Kim, I'll be sure to tell her.

Jennie smiled before excusing herself to leave.

Jennie: I'll get going now. Thank you Rosé-shi and Suzy-shi. I really appreciate it.

Rosé: It's nothing to thank us for Miss Kim.

Suzy: It was our pleasure.

And with that, Jennie walked out of Dream for the second time that day.

 

•••

 

Chaeyoung sat inside Jisoo's hospital room. It was mid afternoon, and yet, the latter was still unconscious. 

Chaeyoung had stayed beside her best friend's bed ever since Jisoo was admitted into the hospital. The only time she had left, was because she had to make a trip to Dream and grab some of the documents that she could work on.

On the way, she of course had ran into Jennie, who was oddly looking for Jisoo. 

Chaeyoung herself wasn't too fond of Jennie since she had a hunch that the latter was the reason that Jisoo was laying in the hospital bed. Chaeyoung also didn't like the fact that Jisoo is constantly suffering because of Jennie. 

But at the end of the day, Jisoo is still her best friend, and she'll support the older girl no matter what. She heaved out a sigh and glanced at the clock. It had been a couple of hours since Lisa had left for work. 

Lisa being the amazing girlfriend she is, had stayed with Chaeyoung the entire night and morning at the hospital much to the older girl's disapproval. Chaeyoung couldn't have been more grateful towards Lisa. 

Having Lisa by her side had calmed her panicked state and jittering nerves. The younger girl's presence just made Chaeyoung feel so safe and reassured. And though she doesn't know why, Chaeyoung could tell Lisa would always be there for her.

Suddenly, out of her peripheral vision, Chaeyoung saw Jisoo's head move. She stood up and hovered over the older girl, waiting for her to wake up.

A few moments later, Jisoo opened her eyes. Blinded by the brightness of the room, she immediately closed them before slowly opening them once more. 

Chaeyoung gazed at her friend worriedly.

Chaeyoung: Unnie, how do you feel? 

Feeling the dryness in , Jisoo only nodded weakly in response. She felt weak and tired, and not to mention the pounding headache that's raging inside her head. She could look only look at Chaeyoung for guidance.

Chaeyoung: I'm gonna go look for Changmin oppa, okay unnie?

Jisoo nodded once more. Chaeyoung smiled softly before walking out of the room. After the younger girl left, Jisoo could feel a single tear slip from her eye as she recalled the events that had happened with Jennie before her collapse.

Her memory was still foggy as to what had happened after she had left the construction site, but Jisoo could clearly remember the argument she had had with Jennie. 

Another tear slipped from her eye as she recalled the things Jennie had said to her. Jisoo's thoughts were interrupted when the door to her room opened. Chaeyoung was back, but she had also brought Changmin along.

Changmin approached Jisoo and gave her a bright smile. 

Changmin: Yah, Kim Jisoo. You gave us quite a scare when Chaeyoung had brought you in yesterday.

Jisoo shot him an apologizing look, which was difficult because of the oxygen mask attacked to her face. Changmin reached over and helped her take it off.

Changmin: There you go.

Jisoo smiled in gratitude. 

Chaeyoung: Unnie would you like some water?

Jisoo nodded. Chaeyoung therefore walked towards the table and poured the older girl a glass of water. She brought it to Jisoo as Changmin helped her sit up in her bed. Chaeyoung carefully fed the water Jisoo who drank it with gratitude.

Jisoo: Thanks Chaeyoung-ah.

Chaeyoung smiled before setting the glass down.

Changmin: Jisoo I'm gonna have you lie down once more so that I can do your check up.

Jisoo: Okay oppa.

Chaeyoung helped her Jisoo lie down before stepping aside to let Changmin work.

Changmin: How are you feeling right now? Hot? Cold? Any pain or weariness? 

Jisoo: I'm a little cold right now. My body feels weak and tired. And my head is killing me.

Changmin: It seems like you still have a fever...

Jisoo: So when can I leave oppa?

Changmin: I'm afraid you're gonna have to stay here for a few weeks Jisoo.

Jisoo: What?! A few weeks?! Why?!

Upon Jisoo's outburst, Chaeyoung rushed over and tried to calm her friend down.

Chaeyoung: Unnie, stay calm.

Jisoo shot Changmin a questioning look, asking him to explain his previous statement. Changmin let out a sigh before speaking.

Changmin: Because you were under the rain for so long; you've attained a high fever which doesn't seem to be subsiding anytime soon. There's also the fact that your heart is weak right now, especially due to being in the rain for such a long period of time. So, I have to monitor your health for the next few weeks to make sure that this fever doesn't have any negative effects on your current health.

Jisoo: But I have so much work at the company. And there's also this important project I'm working on which has to be done in less than 2 months from now!

Jisoo shook her head in disagreement.

Jisoo: I can't stay here oppa, not for that long.

Changmin sighed and turned to look at Chaeyoung who shook her head in disagreement.

Changmin: Jisoo-ah, this is your health we're talking about. I can't let you leave.

Jisoo: Oppa I told you I can't stay. What about my project? And the work at the company? I can't just leave it unattended for such a long period of time.

Chaeyoung slowly approached the bed and placed her hand on top of Jisoo's.

Chaeyoung: Unnie I can take care of the work at the company while you're resting up here, it'll be fine.

Jisoo shook her head.

Jisoo: No. I am not gonna push all of that work on you. And what about the project with Jennie's company? I can't leave that unattended.

Chaeyoung: Are you seriously worried about that right now Unnie?! What did you promise me? You said you would take care of yourself, but take a look at you right now. You're sitting in a hospital bed, with a high fever and a weak heart, and yet you're still worrying about work.

Jisoo looked down to her hands in guilt for breaking her promise to Chaeyoung.

Jisoo: I'm sorry Chaeyoung-ah. But you know how important Dream and this project is to me.

Chaeyoung's expression softened upon seeing Jisoo like this and immediately regretted yelling at the older girl.

Chaeyoung: I know Unnie. Which is why I'm offering to handle everything until you recover. I know that you don't want to place all this burden on me, but trust me. I can handle it.

Jisoo still seemed hesitant about letting Chaeyoung handling Dream. It's not that Jisoo didn't trust her, but she didn't want to place such a huge burden on the younger girl.

Chaeyoung sighed knowing what exactly what Jisoo was thinking. She looked up at Changmin before saying.

Chaeyoung: I also promise that if things ever get tough or out of hand, I will report it immediately to you. But only, if Changmin Oppa says that it's okay.

Jisoo looked towards the older boy, and Changmin nodded his head in acceptance.

Changmin: But I expect you to be a good patient for the upcoming weeks. No stressing, no exerting excess energy, no eating unhealthy foods especially chicken, and absolutely no complaining.

Jisoo stared at him in bewilderment.

Jisoo: Oppa please, I'll do everything you ask of me. But please don't take away the chicken.

Changmin gave her a glare.

Changmin: Kim Jisoo.

Jisoo looked at his face before slumping back in her bed, an evident pout on her face.

Jisoo: Fine. No chicken either.

Chaeyoung smiled and secretly gave Changmin a thumbs up sign. The latter returned her smile and turned his attention back to Jisoo.

Changmin: Good. So now I'm gonna go check up on my other patients, and I'll be back once I'm free.

Chaeyoung: Bye Oppa.

Jisoo: Thanks Oppa.

After Changmin left, Jisoo turned to look at Chaeyoung, the pout was once again placed on her face. 

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes and shook her head at the older girl.

Chaeyoung: No chicken.