Chapter 20

Don't Deserve You

 

That evening, Jisoo decided to call Chaeyoung and Lisa out for dinner.

Lisa had just came back from a business trip, so Jisoo had wanted to call the younger out to catch up and invite her to the wedding.

The 3 girls decided to meet at a restaurant by Chaeyoung's residence and have dinner there.

After ordering their food, Jisoo had taken out an invitation and handed it to Lisa. The younger girl stared at the envelope hesitantly, a shocked expression painted across her face.

Lisa: W-what is it?

Jisoo: It's an invitation to my wedding.

Lisa couldn't believe her own ears. There was no way that this Jisoo was the same Jisoo that had betrayed Jennie... No way.

Lisa: Y-your wedding?

Jisoo nodded and received a frozen expression from the younger girl. Chaeyoung laughed while staring weirdly at her girlfriend.

Chaeyoung: Lisa, are you okay?

Lisa: N-n-no, o-of course I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be fine?

Lisa laughed nervously as she looked at the envelope once again. Chaeyoung shared a glance with Jisoo, in which the latter just shrugged her shoulders.

Lisa slowly opened the envelope and took out the invitation, her hands shaking.

Lisa's suspicions were proven as soon as she saw the names engraved across the card. Lisa picked up her glass of water and quickly gulped down a mouthful of water to calm down her nerves.

Chaeyoung exchanged another look with Jisoo before turning to her girlfriend worriedly. She places her hand on top of Lisa's and gave it a gentle squeeze.

Chaeyoung: Lisa, are you sure you're okay?

Lisa ignored the older girl and instead looks straight into Jisoo's eyes.

Lisa: Y-you're Kim Jisoo?

Jisoo gave the younger a confused look, unsure of why she's behaving so out of the ordinary.

Jisoo: Yeah. Are you okay Limario?

Lisa scoffed.

Lisa: I can't believe it... all this time, you were right in front of me.

Chaeyoung: Lisa, what's wrong?

Lisa looks to Chaeyoung before turning back towards Jisoo.

Lisa: All this time, I thought you were a good person... But, but you cheated on Jennie... You've hurt her so much. And here I thought that maybe I got the wrong person.

Realization struck Jisoo's face as soon as Jennie's name was mentioned. She looked to Chaeyoung who was still confused about the current situation.

Jisoo: You know Jennie?

Lisa laughed bitterly.

Lisa: I was the person who helped her mend the broken pieces of her heart that you broke.

Chaeyoung shifts her focus from Lisa to Jisoo, throwing her friend a questioning glance. 

Jisoo: Lisa, listen to me, it's not what you think. I had never cheated on Jennie.

Lisa: Then how do you explain Jennie unnie catching you red handed hugging that guy in the middle of the street?

Jisoo: I-I...

Jisoo turns to Chaeyoung for help, unsure of whether she should tell Lisa the truth. Chaeyoung seeing that her girlfriend was misunderstanding her friend, decides to step in and help her explain.

Chaeyoung: Lisa, you have to let us explain. The truth is that unnie was si---

Jisoo: Park Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung turns to Jisoo, furious at her friend for still wanting to conceal everything even up to this moment.

Chaeyoung: Unnie we have to tell her.

Jisoo: I can't Chaeyoung-ah, she'll tell Jennie.

Lisa glances back and forth between her girlfriend and Jisoo before deciding that she's had enough of it and stands up from her seat.

Lisa: That's enough, you 2 don't have to explain to me anything.

Turning to Jisoo, she gave her a piercing glare.

Lisa: If you still love Jennie, let her go. Because of you she's been through so much already. Just when she's finally found happiness again, she's forced to marry you. I... I'm sorry, I have to go.

Lisa abruptly grabs her bag before rushing out of the restaurant. Chaeyoung wanted to chase after her girlfriend, but knew that the latter needed some time to think about everything.

She turns to Jisoo who remains quiet in her seat.

Chaeyoung: What were you thinking unnie? Why did you stop me from telling her?

Jisoo: For the same reason I haven't told Jennie all this time.

Chaeyoung: But I can't stand it when everyone keeps on misunderstanding you like this! They accuse you of being such a horrible person when none of it is true!

Jisoo took a deep breath and looked into Chaeyoung's eyes.

Jisoo: If I tell Jennie the truth, she'll distance herself from me. 

Chaeyoung releases an exasperated sigh. 

Chaeyoung: But she already hates you now unnie!

Jisoo: But I know Jennie. Once she finds out about the truth, she'll start to hate and blame herself for everything. And by then, I'll really lose her for good. 

Chaeyoung: Unnie...

Jisoo plasters on a fake smile and takes ahold of Chaeyoung's hand.

Jisoo: Trust me Chaeng, I know what I'm doing. 

Chaeyoung: I really hope so unnie. 

•••

As soon as Lisa got home, she rushes upstairs towards her room. All that she could think about was what had happened during the dinner with Chaeyoung and Jisoo. Just the thought of the older girl made Lisa's heart boil.

And what did it say about Chaeyoung? Is Lisa's own girlfriend the same as Jisoo? Would she cheat on Lisa like Jisoo did to Jennie?

Lisa lay in her bed while trying to sort out her thoughts. She still couldn't believe that Jisoo would be the type of person to do something like that. The Jisoo that she knows is someone who is kind and gentle. Someone who had helped a little boy and saved his life by paying for his hospital bills and finding him a new heart. 

How could she be the same person who hurt her very best friend?

Chaeyoung: Lisa, you have to let us explain. The truth is that unnie was si--

Jisoo: Park Chaeyoung.

What was Chaeyoung trying to tell her before Jisoo had cut her off? 

Lisa heaves out a sigh. 

Lisa: Aish, why is everything so complicated?

After rolling around a bit, she decided to pick up her phone.

Lisa: I have to tell Jennie unnie.

Lisa dialed the older girl's number, but hesitated to press the call button.

Lisa: What am I gonna tell her? That I'm dating the best friend of the person that she hates most in the entire world?

Setting down her phone, Lisa sighed once more. 

Lisa: Wait a minute.

Lisa sits up from her bed.

Lisa: Does Jennie unnie know about Jisoo's illness? ...But that's ridiculous, unnie must've known. They have been dating for so long, surely unnie must've known. 

Lisa furrowed her eyebrows, lost in her own thoughts.

Lisa: But what if unnie didn't know? 

Chaeyoung: Lisa, you have to let us explain. The truth is that unnie was si--

Jisoo: Park Chaeyoung.

Lisa: Was that what Chaeyoung was trying to tell me? But what would Jisoo being sick have to do with her breakup with Jennie unnie? And how does it explain the fact that she cheated on unnie as well?

Lisa massaged her head and ruffled her hair in frustration.

Lisa: Aish whatever. It's too complicated, I'll worry about this some other day.

'The wedding is next week; I need time to think this over. I need to confirm everything with Jisoo and at least let her explain herself before I talk to Jennie unnie.'

•••

Jisoo paced the room, her wedding dress dragging along the ground behind her. To say that she was nervous for today was an understatement.

There is no possible explanation as of to why she shouldn't be nervous. Today was the day that she has been waiting for since the day that she had set her eyes on Jennie.

Hundreds of guests and journalists waited inside the venue, just outside the doors to her room, waiting for the wedding ceremony to begin.

The ceremony that will bind Jisoo to the love of her life, Jennie Kim. Although it may not mean anything to Jennie, but to Jisoo, this was the most happiest day of her life.

Everything about this wedding was wrong, but the only thing that mattered to Jisoo, was Jennie. As long as Jennie was by her side, Jisoo would be willing to do anything just to protect her.

She would take care of Jennie and love her with all her heart.

There was a knock on the door, pulling Jisoo out of her thoughts.

Jisoo: Come in.

Chaeyoung steps into the room, dressed inside her beautiful dress.

Jisoo: My baby chipmunk, you look absolutely lovely today.

Chaeyoung: Not as lovely and beautiful as you Unnie.

Jisoo smiled.

Chaeyoung: Are you ready? I reckon you must be feeling a little nervous by now.

Jisoo groaned.

Jisoo: Don't even remind me Chae. I've been feeling queasy all day. No one told me that getting married was going to be this hard.

Chaeyoung: Oh my dearest Unnie, you only put all of this on yourself.

The 2 girls laughed, when Jisoo suddenly turned serious.

Jisoo: Have you talked to Lisa yet?

Chaeyoung shook her head.

Chaeyoung: Ever since the day we met her for dinner, she's been avoiding me and ignoring all my calls and text messages.

Jisoo looked at the younger girl apologetically.

Jisoo: Sorry Chaeng, I can't believe my problems shifted on to you as well.

Chaeyoung: Don't be silly Unnie, none of this is your fault.

Jisoo: But—

A knock on the door interrupted Jisoo before she could even reply.

Jisoo: Come in.

To both Jisoo and Chaeyoung's surprise, Lisa had walked into the room.

Chaeyoung: L-Lisa?

Lisa gave her girlfriend a slight smile.

Lisa: Hey Chae.

Chaeyoung: What are you doing here?

Lisa turns to face Jisoo who has been silent ever since Lisa had stepped into the room.

Lisa: I actually came to talk to you.

Jisoo stared at the younger in bewilderment.

Jisoo: Me? 

Lisa nodded.

Lisa: I've decided to let you explain.

Jisoo: W-why did you change your mind... D-does Jennie know... Did she send you here?

Lisa sighed as she approached the older girl. 

Lisa: No. I came here by all on my own and Jennie Unnie still has no idea that I know you. I just want to let you explain everything before I tell Jennie Unnie... in case my suspicions were correct.

Jisoo glanced at Chaeyoung worriedly.

Jisoo: W-What do you want to ask me?

Lisa: Does Jennie know about your illness?

Jisoo's eyes widened as she grabbed ahold of Chaeyoung's hand for comfort, which didn't go unnoticed by Lisa. 

Jisoo: You can't tell Jennie. 

Lisa eyes the older girl suspiciously.

Lisa: Why? Does it have to do with what happened 4 years ago between you two?

Jisoo's hold on Chaeyoung's hand became tighter due to Lisa's question.

Jisoo: I...

Chaeyoung places her hand on top of Jisoo's.

Chaeyoung: I think we should tell her Unnie. There's no hiding it now.

Jisoo: But—

Chaeyoung: If we don't tell her, she's just gonna go tell Jennie.

Lisa: That's right. I'll tell Jennie Unnie if you don't tell me the truth.

Despite Lisa's warning, Jisoo was still hesitating. Would Lisa really stay quiet if she told her the truth?

Lisa: Yah Kim Jisoo, I'm giving you a chance to explain to me right now about what happened between you and Jennie 4 years ago. So you better tell me the truth or I will tell Jennie Unnie about all of my suspicions. 

Jisoo: There's nothing to explain Lisa. Like you said I cheated on Jennie with someone else okay—

Chaeyoung: Unnie!

Jisoo: So there you have it. It had nothing to do with my illness; I just liked someone else.

Lisa slammed her fist on the table out of anger.

Lisa: Then why marry her?! Why subdue her to such a cruel fate when you've already hurt her enough. 

Jisoo remained silent and closed her eyes to calm herself down. She can't fall apart, not right now.

Lisa sneered.

Lisa: Why did I even try? You're a cruel person Kim Jisoo! And here I thought of you as someone much better than that. How could you?! Have you no shame to marry Jennie after what you did to her?!

Chaeyoung abruptly stood up from her seat and knocked her chair over.

Chaeyoung: Lisa stop! The truth is that it was all a misunderstanding! What Jennie saw wasn't true!

Jisoo: Park Chaeyoung!

Chaeyoung: I'm sorry Unnie, but I can't stand this anymore.

Turning towards Lisa's stunned face, Chaeyoung continues.

Chaeyoung: 4 years ago, Unnie had found out about her heart disease. And that guy that Jennie saw her with was Suho Oppa, who is one our closest friends, and was Jisoo unnie's Doctor at the time.

Lisa fell back in her seat, trying to process everything that Chaeyoung had just told her.

'So I was right.'

'But Jennie Unnie has the right to know this.'

Lisa looks towards where Jisoo was sitting. The older girl wore a blank expression, but Lisa was able to see the tears that had escaped from her eyes as they fell down her face.

Lisa: Why didn't you tell Jennie?

Jisoo tried to blink her tears before replying to Lisa.

Jisoo: I didn't want her to blame herself.

Lisa massages her forehead.

Lisa: Unnie, you have to tell Jennie. You can't keep letting her misunderstand you like this, you guys are getting married today.

Jisoo shook her head.

Jisoo: As her friend, I know that you know what kind of person Jennie is... If I tell her the truth, you know very well that she would leave me Lisa.

Lisa remained quiet, knowing what the older girl said was true.

Chaeyoung picked up her chair and sat back down.

The 3 girls were quiet, unsure of what to say. After a few minutes, Lisa looks towards Jisoo.

Lisa: So you just expect me to keep this from Jennie Unnie?

Jisoo sighed.

Jisoo: I just wants what's best for her. Besides, as long as she hates me, it'll be easier for her to leave me later on. 

Lisa looks at the older girl with a confused expression.

Lisa: I have one more question.

Jisoo: What is it?

Lisa: What's the real reason behind this marriage?

Jisoo: I don't think it's appropriate for me to answer this question Lisa.

Lisa: Why not? I just need to know the reason so that I can trust you on this Unnie... Please.

Not knowing what to do, Jisoo turns to Chaeyoung for help, deciding to listen to whatever suggestion the younger has to say.

Chaeyoung: Just tell her Unnie, it's for the best.

Jisoo nodded. She took a deep breath before beginning to speak.

Jisoo: About a few weeks ago—

A knock on the door had once again interrupted Jisoo.

Jisoo: Come in.

Changmin pokes his head through the door, a smile on his face.

Changmin: It's time Jisoo.

Jisoo: Just give me a few more minutes Oppa.

Changmin: I'll see you out there. Good luck Sooya!

Jisoo: Thanks Oppa.

After Changmin had left, Jisoo started to stand up from her seat. 

Jisoo: I'm sorry Lisa, but we're gonna have to finish this conversation some other time.

Lisa: Yeah, of course Unnie.

Chaeyoung rose from her seat as well and came over to stand beside Lisa.

Chaeyoung: It's okay Jisoo unnie. I'll tell Lisa about everything after the wedding, you don't have to worry about this.

Jisoo gave the younger a grateful smile.

Jisoo: Thanks Chaeng.

Taking a deep breath, Jisoo tries to plaster a confident smile on her face as she looks at Lisa and Chaeyoun one more time.

Jisoo: Wish me luck guys.

The 2 younger girls smiled at her encouragingly. With that, Jisoo turns around and starts walking towards the door when she was suddenly called back by Lisa.

Lisa: Jisoo unnie!

Jisoo turns around, unsure of what the latter has to say. After a few moments, Lisa finally spoke up.

Lisa: I'm sorry, for everything. I want you to know that you have my trust and full support. Please take care of Jennie unnie.

Jisoo returns her a grateful smile and confident nod.

Jisoo: I will.

Once again, Jisoo turns around and walks out into the venue, making her way to marry the love of her life.