Chapter 48

Don't Deserve You

 

When Jisoo came home the next morning, she found Jennie asleep on the couch. 

Her already broken heart fractured a bit more as she looked at her wife's sleeping form. Jisoo shuts the door and slowly made her towards Jennie's side. 

She takes off her coat, and lays it over Jennie, before carefully taking a seat by the younger girl. She grimaced a bit as the movement slightly agitated her own injuries from the night before. Jisoo sat quietly by Jennie as she gazed at the latter's angelic sleeping face.

She raises a hand and felt the younger girl's forehead, and noticed that it was still burning hot. Getting up from her spot, she heads into the kitchen and grabbed a towel along with a bucket of warm water.

She brought it back to where Jennie slept and soaked the towel with the water. 

Jisoo moves the stray strands of hair away from Jennie's face before she starts to wipe the younger girl's face. She finishes up moments later, and can't help but sit and stare at how beautiful and peaceful her wife looked while sleeping. 

Jisoo leans over and gently kisses Jennie's forehead, careful not to wake up the younger. As she stares lovingly at her sleeping figure, Jisoo lifts up her hand, and slowly starts to caress the younger girl's hair. 

Jisoo: I'm sorry Jendeuk-ah. I said that I would protect you... but here I am hurting you every second of the day. You deserve someone so much better than me... And yet I can't bare to thought of letting you go. 

Jisoo chuckles bitterly to herself.

Jisoo: I'm probably the most selfish person ever. I want to stay with you... I want to hug you, to kiss you, to love you... I want to do everything with you in every moment for the rest of my life... But what about my poor parents... My parents who had been wrongfully killed... who will give justice to them?

Jisoo ran a hand tiredly through her hair as the few droplets of tears fell from her face.

Jisoo: How am I supposed to get revenge for my parents when I'm still in love with you Jennie Kim?

Jennie begins to stir in her sleep for a bit, but remains unconscious, and oblivious to Jisoo's words. Jisoo heaves out a resigned sigh before breaking into a sad smile. She ran a hand through Jennie's face and leaned over to give her one last kiss. 

She smiles once more as she looks at the sleeping angel in front of her, before standing up. She heads towards the door and gives Jennie one last longing gaze before walking out of the house.

 

•••

 

When Jennie had woken up, it was already noon. She notices that her fever was gone, and that she was covered with someone's coat. 

Not just someone's coat, but it was Jisoo's. 

Thinking that the older girl was home, Jennie rushes upstairs to look for her wife.

She was met with disappointment when Jisoo was no where to be found. Making her way back downstairs, Jennie fell back onto the couch. 

A single tear slipped down her face as she felt sadness creeping its way back into her heart. The loneliness she felt was growing more as the days passed by.

She heaves out a sigh before spotting the bucket of water and towel laid across the  living room table.

She picks up the towel and couldn't help but wonder if Jisoo was the one who had tended to her. After a while, she sets down the towel and brushed away the thought, thinking that it had probably been Chaeyoung or Lisa.

Not knowing what else to do, Jennie picks up Jisoo's coat and buries her face into the soft fabric, hoping that it would in some way bring back the Jisoo that she once knew. 

 

•••

 

Seungri made his way into the café, his face lights up when he spots the person he was meeting with.

Seungri: Jisoo!

Jisoo turns towards the sound of her uncle's voice, and managed to crack a smile at his approaching figure.

Jisoo: Uncle Seungri.

Seungri: It's good to see you Jisoo-yah.

The two exchanged a quick hug before returning to their seats.

Jisoo: I've been better.

Seungri chuckles softly as he nodded in agreement.

Seungri: I've had some of those day myself.

Seeing that the younger was quiet, Seungri clears his throat in order to gather her attention.

Seungri: So, for what do I owe the pleasure, for you to ask to meet me today?

Jisoo hesitates a bit before answering.

Jisoo: I know about everything.

Seungri feigns a confused expression, despite already knowing very well what Jisoo had wanted to talk to him about before coming to meet her.

Seungri: Know about what kiddo?

Jisoo: About my parents... I know the person who killed them.

Seungri's eyes widened as he glances around, playing into the act.

Seungri: Who told you Jisoo?

Jisoo: It was Il Woo uncle. Your old friend. 

Seungri releases a sigh as looks down at his hands, refusing to look into Jisoo's eyes.

Jisoo: Tell me uncle. Why didn't you tell me about this before? I could've... I could've done something.

Seungri closes his eyes as he shook his head.

Seungri: There was nothing you could've done Jisoo. Jiyong had thought of everything beforehand; there was no way for you to find any evidence against him.

Jisoo's eyes glazed over as she clenched her fists in anger.

Jisoo: You should've told me nonetheless! You... you let me marry the daughter of my enemy... when you knew fully well what he had done!

Seungri: I didn't have a choice Jisoo. I wanted to protect your heart, as much as I wanted to protect you.

Jisoo shakes her head.

Jisoo: What are you talking about uncle?

Seungri: You love that girl Jisoo. I can see it in your eyes, as well as in your actions. The way you look at her is different. I couldn't bare to tell you to truth.

Jisoo closes her eyes as she feels herself start to lose control of her emotions.

Jisoo: I don't want to hurt her uncle. I can't.

Seungri: I know Jisoo... But you still have to decide. Are you more concerned about that girl's happiness, or getting your parents the justice they deserve?

Jisoo remains silent, finding herself unable to answer Seungri's question. The elder places a comforting hand on Jisoo's as he nodded understandingly.

Seungri: Sometimes you have to hurt some of the people beside you in order to do what's right 
Jisoo-yah. 

The younger girl looks up and stares miserably into Seungri's eyes.

Jisoo: You... you think I should get revenge for my parents?

Seungri shook his head as he leans forward.

Seungri: I think that it's the right thing to do. But what matters, is what you think. It's all up to you Jisoo. I just want you to know that no matter what you choose, I'll always support you.

Jisoo remains silent for a moment as she tries to calm down her emotions.

Jisoo: Why?

Seungri: Why what?

Jisoo: Why did he kill them? 

Seungri heaves out a sigh as he stares into the broken hearted girl's eyes.

Seungri: Back then, Jiyong, Il Woo, your father, and I, were all close friends. However, our friendship was broken when Jiyong had started to sell illegal properties. At that time, Il Woo was struggling deeply in debt, so Jiyong had convinced him to join... when your father found out, he decided to report them to the authorities...

Jisoo: So the night my parents left...

Seungri nodded. 

Seungri: It was that night that your father drove your mother to report Jiyong and Il Woo of their crimes. But before he could do so, Jiyong had followed him and forced your father to drive off that cliff. 

Jisoo's eyes hardened as her blood ran cold.

Jisoo: He killed my parents in order to cover up his own crimes?

Seungri looked down and remained silent, however it was enough to answer Jisoo's question. She closes her eyes as she tries to calm down her boiling nerves.

Jisoo: I want to make him pay.

Seungri looks up at the younger, his expression was hesitant.

Seungri: Are you sure about this Jisoo?

Jisoo nodded definitely, her eyes cold, and her expression stoic.

Jisoo: A scumbag like him doesn't deserve to live in this world.

Seungri nodded as his face twisted into a devilish smirk. 

Everything was now finally in place.

 

•••

 

Jisoo sat in her car that night as she waited outside of the Kim household.

Throughout the day, she had been having an internal battle with herself about whether or not she should confront Jennie's father. 

When she had finally made the decision to go through with her plans, she was once again hit with hesitation as soon as she had pulled up in front of the house.

She started banging her head on the steering wheel not knowing what to do.

Leaning back, she shuts her eyes as she once again weighs the idea in her mind. She thinks back to her conversation with Seungi, and what he had told her about Jennie's father.

Without another thought, she finally made up her mind and stepped out of the car.

As she made her way towards the front door, Jisoo couldn't seem to feel anything. Her mind, heart, and body were numb. It's as if an emotional switch in her had been turned off, and the person that she is now is nothing more than a puppet.

Taking in a deep breath, she raises her hand and rang the door bell.

It was the face of Jennie's father that had greeted her. His face reflected one of joy as soon as he notices Jisoo. The younger's emotions suddenly ran wild. Until now, it was still difficult for her to believe that this was the man who had murdered her parents.

She remembered how Jennie would use to talk about her father with admiration. Would she be able to believe Jisoo, if she were to tell the latter than her that the man whom she admired so much was a murderer?

Jiyong: Jisoo! What a surprise?

Jisoo broke into a forced smile.

Jisoo: I need to speak with you.

Jiyong's lips formed into a thin line as he tries to make sense of Jisoo's strange behavior.

He nodded in agreement before moving aside to let the latter in.

Jiyong: We'll talk in my office.

The elder led Jisoo into study before shutting the door. He gestures for her to take a seat as he pours them both a glass of wine. Taking a seat, he gives Jisoo a smile as he hands her the glass.

Jiyong: How have you been? Have you been treating my daughter well?

Jisoo stares at the man in front of her with disgust as she felt her blood boiling from underneath her skin. Reaching over, she grabs the glass of wine and gulps it down. Jiyong chuckles as he watches the younger drinking the alcohol as if it were water. 

Jiyong: I didn't know that you could hold alcohol this well Jisoo. Would you like another glass?

Jisoo lets out a small scoff.

Jisoo: How are you able to live with yourself?

Jiyong shifts in his seat as he senses the sudden change of mood within the room.

Jiyong: Pardon?

Jisoo: How can you live with yourself everyday, knowing that you murdered your own friend in order to save your own sorry ?

Jiyong sets down his glass of wine as the realization hit him.

Jiyong: You finally found out. 

Jisoo: How could you?

Jiyong closes his eyes as he thinks back to the dreadful day. 

Jiyong: I didn't mean to. I... Everything just happened so fast--

Jisoo: Cut the crap old man! I know what you did! You don't have to explain yourself because there is nothing that you can possibly say that will change my mind! You're a monster!

The elder nodded.

Jiyong: And I have nothing to say Jisoo. You have every right to be angry with me, to despise me. 

Jisoo: You're right. I do despise you. I want to make you pay for everything you've done. 

Jiyong looks into Jisoo's eyes, his voice soft. 

Jiyong: Does Jennie know?

Jiyong saw the wavering in Jisoo's eyes, as if the latter was having an internal battle with herself.

Jisoo: Don't you bring Jennie into this! This is between me and you!

Jiyong's lips curled into a small smile.

Jiyong: You really do love my daughter, don't you?

Jisoo slammed her fist onto the table as she felt the last bit of her patience slip away.

Jisoo: Do you have no shame?! You... you let me marry your daughter when you know very well what you have done to my parents... my family! You took away my parents from me!

Jiyong: And the guilt has been haunting me everyday Jisoo. Do you really think that I'm able to live with myself? Everyday, I live in constant guilt, knowing that I had killed your parents years ago. And now you're the person whom my precious daughter has married. 

Jisoo stays silent as she felt the tears roll down her face.

Jiyong: I know that it's not right... But despite everything, I knew that you are the only person who can bring my daughter the happiness that I want her to have. The only person who can protect her.

Jisoo wiped away her tears as she stares straight into Jiyong's eyes.

Jisoo: What makes you think that I won't use Jennie for my revenge on you?

Jiyong smiles fondly at the brokenhearted girl standing before him.

Jiyong: Because I know that you love her. 

Jisoo: And what makes you so sure of that?

Jiyong: Because I can see it in your eyes. Don't forget that you were the one who had offered me this marriage Jisoo. And from that very moment, I knew. And despite how much I already owed you and your family, despite all the pain that I've caused you, I knew that I could trust my daughter with you.

Jisoo: Do you really think that I'll let you go just because I love Jennie?

Jiyong shook his head. 

Jiyong: What I want to know Jisoo, is are you willing to let Jennie go to get revenge on me? To have her hate you?

Jisoo abruptly got up from her seat as she glared at the elder.

Jisoo: I'm willing to get blood on my hands if it means making sure that someone like you will pay for what you've done! Jennie doesn't deserve someone like you to be her father! She could hate me all she wants as long as I know that you're no where near her!

Jiyong releases a resigned sigh as he looks up tiredly at Jisoo.

Jiyong: You don't get it Jisoo. I would never hurt my daughter. And I'm not gonna run away from my crimes. I just want to make sure that you're sure of what you plan to do. Will throwing me away in jail solve anything that has happened? In the end it will be you who will hurt most. And most importantly, you'll be hurting Jennie as well.

Jisoo shook her head as she tries to block out the elder's words.

Jisoo: Stop trying to play with my mind!

Jiyong got up from his seat as he approaches Jisoo and kneels down in front of her. 

Jiyong: I know what I've done. I'm willing to accept whatever you want to do to me Jisoo.

Jisoo stares at the elder man in confusion as she tries to make sense of the situation. Could this really be the man who had killed her parents? 

Jisoo: I don't get it. Why aren't trying to deny truth? 
Why aren't you begging me for mercy?

Jiyong: Because I'm tired of running. It's been 4 years Jisoo. 

Jisoo's eyes widen as she watched Jiyong reach inside his coat and pulls out a gun. He gives her a sad smile and holds up the gun towards her.

Jiyong: Let's end it here.