Chapter 36

Don't Deserve You

 

Jisoo closes her eyes in defeat before taking one last glance at Jennie. Her eyes suddenly widen in horror as she sees a car rapidly approaching the younger girl's direction.

With every ounce of her strength, Jisoo races across the street as quickly as her legs could take her.

She takes one last glance at the approaching car before wrapping her arms tightly around Jennie's body just as the car collided into them with full force. Jisoo's body protecting Jennie's.

 

•••

 

Jisoo and Jennie rolled over the roof of the car before hitting the ground with a thud. Passerby stopped amidst trying to escape from the pouring rain to check on the two girls. 

Jennie stirred in her position a top of Jisoo's unmoving body. She holds up a hand towards her head in order to try to ease her pounding headache. 

"Miss are you okay?"

"Oh my god, somebody call the ambulance!"

Jennie's thoughts swirled around in confusion. 'What was happening?' 'Where is she?'

"Hello? Yes, I'm calling to report a car accident... two female... lots of blood... serious injuries..."

Suddenly, everything came rushing back to the Jennie the moment she had heard the word accident. 'That's right... she was crossing the street... then she felt Jisoo's arms wrap around her...'

'Oh my god! Jisoo... Where is Jisoo?!'

Jennie slowly starts to regain her senses as she finally realized that she was laying on top of Jisoo's body. Kim Jisoo... her wife... was laying on the ground, slowly bleeding out, because of herBecause she had saved her. Jennie chokes back a sob as she looks at Jisoo's bloody form.

There was no way to tell where the blood was coming from. The rain continues to pour down as it mixes along with Jisoo's blood. 

Jennie: J-Jisoo... 

Jennie places her shaking hands onto the older girl's shoulders as she tries to access her injuries. 

Jennie: Jisoo-yah...

'Blood... why was there so much blood?' 

Jennie: Oh my god Jisoo... Jisoo, wake up Jisoo-yah... 

"Miss are you okay? Please calm down, everything is going to be okay."

Jennie starts to break down uncontrollably over Jisoo's unconscious form. She frantically looks around with pleading eyes at the people who surrounded her.

Jennie: Please... Somebody, please call the ambulance! Call the ambulance! Some...someone's hurt... My wife is hurt!

"Miss please calm down. The ambulance is on its way."

Jennie shifts her attention back on Jisoo's bloodied face. 

Jennie: Jisoo... I'm so sorry...I'm so sorry. Please wake up... Jisoo...

'Why isn't she moving? Why isn't she waking up?'

Lisa: Jennie unnie!

Jennie glances up at the familiar sound of Lisa's voice. The younger girl pushes her way through the crowd as she gets on the ground besides Jennie. 

She shifts her attention from Jennie towards Jisoo's body.

Lisa: Oh my god... Jisoo unnie...

The younger girl crawls towards Jisoo's side as she takes off her coat and uses it to try and stem the blood from Jisoo's head injury.

Lisa brushes away the wet strands of hair from her face before turning back towards Jennie.

Lisa: Unnie, have you called an ambulance?

Jennie: ...I-I... I don't know....

"I've already called for one. They are on their way."

Lisa looks up towards the man who spoken. She gives him a nod of gratitude before shifting her attention back on Jisoo.

Lisa: You have to be okay Unnie.... you have to be okay...

Lisa's head perks up at the sound of the ambulance. It's sirens shined brightly under the stormy sky as it comes to a stop. 

As the paramedics made their way over, Lisa can only step aside and watch as they take Jisoo away.

 

•••

 

Chaeyoung made her way through the hospital as tears freely poured down her face. 

Her heart pounded heavily against her chest as she raced towards the O.R.

As soon as she spots Lisa, she quickly approaches her girlfriend. The latter was leaning over Jennie's crumpled form who seemed to not have been listening to her.

Chaeyoung: Lisa!

Lisa turns around at the sound of Chaeyoung's voice.

Lisa: Chaeyoung-ah! 

Chaeyoung chokes back a sob as she tries to wipe away her tears.

Chaeyoung: What... what happened? Why... w-why is Unnie in the hospital? 

Lisa tiredly ran a hand through her hair.

Lisa: It was a car accident. When I got there, I had found Jennie crying over Jisoo unnie's body. Jennie Unnie is injured too, but she won't let me take her to a doctor.

Chaeyoung shook her head as she begins to zone out, not listening to Lisa's words.

Chaeyoung: I have to see her... I have to see Jisoo unnie! Let me go see her!

Chaeyoung started towards the door but was quickly held back by Lisa.

Lisa: Chaeyoung-ah, you can't go in there!

Chaeyoung shook her head as the more tears spilled down her face.

Chaeyoung: I need to see her! I need to make sure she's safe! Jisoo unnie!

Lisa wrestled against Chaeyoung's strength as she tries to contain the older girl.

Lisa: You can't go in there Chaeyoung-ah! It won't do Jisoo unnie any good!

Chaeyoung stopped struggling against Lisa as she  fell into the younger girl's arms.  

Chaeyoung: How did this happen? Jisoo unnie...

Remembering that Jennie was there, Chaeyoung rushes over towards the older girl and drops down in front of her. 

Chaeyoung: What happened Unnie? H-How did this happen? How did Jisoo unnie end up like this?

Jennie: ...

Chaeyoung: Unnie! 

Jennie: .... It was my fault.... it-it was all my fault...

Chaeyoung: W-what?

Jennie: Jisoo... she saved me.... it was all my fault....

Chayoung: What are you talking about?

Jennie however remains silent, lost in her own thoughts and sorrows. Chaeyoung searches the older girl's face for clarification before looking up towards Lisa with heartbroken eyes.

Chaeyoung: How long has she been in there?

Lisa: Not long, we just got here... It looked bad Chaeng-ah.... there was so much blood.... and they-they had to intubate her...

Chaeyoung turns to face the floor as she breaks down into sobs.

Chaeyoung: How? How could this happen? Unnie was fine yesterday...

Lisa closes her eyes and bent down towards Chaeyoung to help her stand up.

Lisa: Chaeyoung-ah... I-I have to tell you something.

Chaeyoung slowly raises her head as she tries to contain her tears.

Chaeyoung: What is it?

Lisa: Before I had came, Jennie Unnie had called me...

Chaeyoung glances at her girlfriend dumbfounded, unsure of what she was trying to say. The younger girl took in a deep breath before continuing.

Lisa: She was telling me that she had received pictures of Jisoo and some girl walking into a hotel room together—

Chaeyoung's face suddenly morphs into a betrayed look.

Chaeyoung: Lalisa, do you know what you're saying right now?!

Lisa heaves out a sigh as she ran a hand across her face.

Lisa: You didn't let me finish Chaeyoung-ah—

Chaeyoung: I don't need to because I knew exactly what you were gonna say!

Lisa shook her head.

Lisa: I don't believe it either Chaeyoung-ah... But there needs to be an explanation. Jisoo unnie didn't come home yesterday, and the pictures show that she had been with that girl.

Chaeyoung: Yah, Lalisa! You know very well that Unnie isn't that kind of person! Hasn't Unnie proved countless of times how much she loves Jennie?! And here you are accusing her of cheating!

Lisa: I'm not accusing her of anything Chaeyoung! I'm just trying to find out the truth! 

Realization dawns on Chaeyoung's face as she whips her head towards Jennie. 

Chaeyoung: It was you wasn't it? Because she chased after you... You're the one who had accused her of cheating! 

Jennie remains silent as more tears fall from her eyes. Lisa pulls on Chaeyoung's arm as she tries to calm her girlfriend down. 

Lisa: Stop it Chaeyoung-ah. It wasn't Jennie's fault... she was hurt just as much—

Chaeyoung whips her head around to face Lisa, her eyes burning with fury.

Chaeyoung: Don't you dare say that she has been hurting just as much! She has experienced nothing, compared to Jisoo unnie!

Lisa: Chaeng-ah, I'm not accusing Jisoo unnie of cheating. I'm just trying to make sense of everything.

Chaeyoung shook her head defiantly.

Chaeyoung: There is nothing to make sense of Lalisa. I know the person that Jisoo is. And I would bet my life on it that Unnie would never cheat on Jennie.

Seeing that Lisa was speechless, Chaeyoung shifts her attention back towards Jennie, and lets out a disgusted scoff.

Chaeyoung: Do you know what Jisoo unnie has done for you throughout the past four years?! What she's been through for you?!

Fearing that Chaeyoung might reveal everything at that moment, Lisa decides to jump in. She knew Jennie wouldn't be able to handle everything, not at this state.

Lisa: Chaeyoung, that's enough!

Chaeyoung: She needs to know!

Lisa: I—

Jennie slowly lifts up her head as she tries to process what the two younger girls were talking about. 

Jennie: What...what do I need to know?

Chaeyoung: Do you know why Jisoo unnie cheated on you 4 years ago? She—

"Park Chaeyoung!"

Chaeyoung turns around at the sound of Suho's voice. The older boy was making his way towards her, his hair and clothes all disheveled.

Chaeyoung: Oppa...

Jennie stares gapingly at Suho, instantly recognizing who he was.

Jennie: What... what are you doing here?

She turns towards Lisa, confusion displayed across her face. However the younger could only look towards the ground, not knowing what to say.

Suho ignores Jennie's question as he places his focus on Chaeyoung.

Suho: What are you doing Chaeyoung-ah?

Chaeyoung chokes on a sob as more tears continued to pour down her cheeks.

Chaeyoung: I'm doing the right thing Oppa. Jisoo unnie doesn't deserve this... 

Suho's eyes softens upon seeing the younger girl looking so broken and hurt. He places his arm on her shoulder as he wipes away a tear that had slipped from her eye.

Suho: But do you think Jisoo would want this Chaeng? You have to think about what Jisoo would want.

Chaeyoung shakes her head adamantly.

Chaeyoung: I'm tired of seeing her constantly getting hurt oppa... At this point I don't care anymore... I don't care about what you say, or what Jisoo unnie wants... I-I just want her to be happy...

Suho closes his eyes in defeat as he releases a resigned sigh. He gives Chaeyoung a nod of approval in which the younger gives him a thankful look. Chaeyoung turns back around to face Jennie who was currently being supported by Lisa due to her attained injuries from the accident. 

Chaeyoung takes in a deep breath before approaching the older girl.

Jennie: ...What is it that I need to know? And why... why is he here?

Chaeyoung: This, is Junmyeon oppa, also known Dr. Kim. He was Jisoo unnie's personal doctor 4 years ago. 

Jennie's face was washed over with confusion as she tries to process what Chaeyoung had meant. 

Jennie: What...what do you mean by Jisoo's doctor?

Chaeyoung: Jisoo unnie has been struck with a chronic heart illness since 4 years ago. 

All the color seems to have drained from Jennie's face as soon as the words had left Chaeyoung's mouth.

Jennie: A... heart illness?

Lisa tightens her hold on Jennie, worried that she might collapse. 

Chaeyoung: That was the reason why she had been with Suho oppa that day, because he was walking her home after her check up. He was only comforting her, but yet you didn't even let her explain. 

Jennie: ...

Chaeyoung: About 6 months ago, the day of the fire, Jisoo unnie was supposed to receive her heart transplant... but because she saved youher condition had worsened so there had been  complications during the surgery. One week, she had been in a coma for one week, and recovering in the hospital for 2 months. All because of the fact that she had gone off to save you that day.

Unknowingly, tears began to stream down Jennie's face as she heard Chaeyoung speak. 

Jennie: All this time... she's been hiding this from me...

Lisa: Unnie...

Jennie: Why... why didn't she tell me?

Chaeyoung lets out a scoff as she stares at the older girl incredulously.

Chaeyoung: Why don't you ask yourself that? Did you ever let her explain? You had just assumed that she had been cheating on you, and then left her to fly off to New Zealand!

Jennie shook her head, not wanting to believe what she was hearing. 

'How could she have been so clueless?'

'How could Jisoo keep this from her?'

Jennie: But... I came back... Why didn't she tell me then? Why didn't she tell me now?

Chaeyoung: Because she was afraid that you would be hurt after finding out about it.

Jennie: ...W-what?

Chaeyoung: Ironic isn't it? Rather than worrying about herself, she was worried about you. She was worried, that if you ever found out, you would be consumed with guilt and blame yourself. 

Realization begins to dawn on Jennie's face as everything came rushing back to her.

'She watched as Jisoo clutched onto the fabric of the coat against her chest...'

'Jennie turns around to see Jisoo running towards her. The older girl looked much paler than the last time since Jennie had seen her. Jisoo was gasping for air, her face contorted in pain as she tried to speak to Jennie.'

'Mr. Park: The poor thing, not to mention her health was already severe to begin with....'

'Lisa: I'm sorry Unnie, I really am. It's just something came up with my girlfriend's friend. And she's freaking out right now...'

'Employee: Our CEO is sick and was admitted to the hospital just yesterday.'

'Jennie looks over to her right where Jisoo sat, forehead drenched in sweat.'

'Jisoo: Yeah... there were actually some complications. So it turns out I have to be gone for longer that expected.'

'Jennie: Jisoo, I can take care of myself. You're talking like as if you aren't gonna see me anymore.'

'Lisa: Take Care of Jisoo unnie, Okay?'

Jennie: All this time... I've been so cruel to her... Everything is my fault...

Lisa: Unnie, don't say that. You didn't know.

Jennie: She's been hurt countless of times... because of me...

Chaeyoung turns towards Suho, relieved that she had finally gotten everything off her chest. The older boy gives her a slight nod before his eyes had widened frantically.

Lisa: Jennie unnie!

Chaeyoung turns back around to see that Jennie had collapsed and was unconscious in Lisa's arms. She was suddenly washed over with a wave of guilt for revealing everything whilst the older girl was in this state. 

Shaking her head, she erased her feelings of guilt. Despite everything, Chaeyoung knew that she had made the right decision. 

She was done with how Jisoo was always hurting because of this. She wanted her best friend to be happy, and she knew that Jennie needed to know the truth.

Chaeyoung focused her attention back onto Jennie, and looked at her worriedly despite her anger for the older girl.

Suho was checking Jennie's pulse before picking her up into his arms. 

Chaeyoung: Is... is she okay oppa?

Suho: She collapsed due to shock and exhaustion. I'm thinking she also lost quite a bit of blood. She just needs to get her injuries treated and some rest. 

Chaeyoung nodded. 

Chaeyoung: That's good.

Suho: You stay here and wait for Jisoo. Lisa and I will go get Jennie some help.

Chaeyoung: ...Take care of her. 

The older boy nodded before rushing off with Jennie in his arms. Chaeyoung turns to face Lisa and gives her girlfriend an apologizing look.

Chaeyoung: I'm sorry Lisa... But she needed to know... I—

Lisa: I know why you did it Chaeng... I don't blame you.

Chaeyoung glances up at Lisa with tearful eyes. 

Chaeyoung: So... you don't hate me?

Lisa shakes her head as she gives the older a gentle smile.

Lisa: Of course not. How could you even think that?

The younger walks over and pulls Chaeyoung into her arms. 

Lisa: I understand why you did it. I should be the one who's sorry. I shouldn't have blamed Jisoo unnie. It's just... I was so worried for Jennie that I wasn't thinking clearly.

Lisa places a kiss on the top of the older girl's head.

Lisa: I trust Jisoo, just like I trust you... I shouldn't have said anything. Can you forgive me?

Chaeyoung nodded.

Chaeyoung: You should probably go to Jennie. She'll need you there when she wakes up.

Lisa nodded before pulling away.

Lisa: Call me if there's any update about Jisoo unnie, okay?

Chaeyoung: Hmm.

 

•••

 

Chaeyoung paced back and forth nervously in front of the operation room. It has been 3 hours, and there has yet to be any news about Jisoo's condition. 

She was getting more agitated by the second, worrying about the older girl's well-being. The sound of her phone ringing had startled her, causing Chaeyoung to jump in her place. Taking it out, she answers the call.

Chaeyoung: Hello?

Soojoo: Hey Chaeyoung-ah, I was just wondering, is Jisoo with you by any chance? I tried calling her home phone but no one was picking up--

Soojoo was interrupted by the sound of Chaeyoung's sobbing.

Soojoo: What's wrong Chaeyoung-ah?

Chaeyoung: You...you haven't heard?

Soojoo: Heard what?

Chaeyoung: Jisoo unnie is in the hospital.

Chaeyoung's news had thrown Soojoo into a frenzy as she starts panicking from the other line.

Soojoo: What do you mean Chaeyoung? I just saw her this morning. How could she be in the hospital?

Chaeyoung dried her eyes before answering the older girl's questions.

Chaeyoung: Unnie got in a car accident because she was trying to save Jennie. 

Soojoo: Is...is she okay?

Chaeyoung: She's been in the OR for the past 3 hours, and there's been no news at all about her condition.

Soojoo: Is Jun oppa there with you, or is he helping Chang oppa operate on Jisoo.

Chaeyoung: I'm waiting by myself. Suho oppa had went off to treat Jennie's injuries.

Soojoo: Okay, okay... Just-just wait for me, okay Chaeng? I'm on my way.

Chaeyoung: Unnie I'm scared. 

Soojoo: I know Chaeyoung-ah. Wait for me, I'll be there as soon as I can. 

And with that, the older girl had hung up the phone. Chaeyoung closes her eyes as she tries to calm down her nerves. When she opens them again, she sees Suho walking towards her along with Jennie who was being pushed in a wheelchair by Lisa. 

Chaeyoung shoots the older girl a worried look.

Chaeyoung: Shouldn't you be resting?

The older girl shakes her head in reply. 

Jennie: I want to be here with her.

Chaeyoung glances towards Suho who nodded towards the doors to the OR.

Suho: Any news?

Chaeyoung shakes her head solemnly.

Chaeyoung: I'm worried Oppa. What if something goes wrong? 

Suho: Everything is gonna be just fine Chaeyoung-ah. Remember that the doctor in there with Jisoo is Changmin, and he wouldn't let anything happen to her.

Jennie grasps her hands together in order to stop them from shaking. All she could think about at the moment was Jisoo. The person who had done everything for her.

But yet all she had done for the older girl was bring harm upon her and torment her. How could she ever ask for Jisoo's forgiveness if Jennie can't even forgive herself? Silent tears rolled down her cheeks, but she refuses to wipe them away. How could she not have known? 

Lisa sees that her best friend was crying, kneels down to the older and gently wipes away her tears. 

Lisa: She's gonna be okay unnie.

Jennie: I was dating her for 2 years... and-and I never noticed... I was married to her for a whole goddamn year! I'm such a horrible person Lisa. How can I ever ask for Jisoo's forgiveness? I can't even bare to look at her without feeling guilty. She-she's done so much for me... But I was so blind... I-I don't deserve her...

Lisa: Oh unnie...

Lisa pulls her best friend into a tight hug as she tries to comfort her. Suho and Chaeyoung gazes down at the latter with sorrowful eyes. 

Their hearts hurt for Jennie, it had reminded them of the countless times that they had comforted Jisoo in the past. These two girls had gone through so much in their relationship. Suho shakes his head as he glances up towards the ceiling. 

For now he could only wish that Jisoo would be okay. Because he doesn't think Jennie would be able to survive if something were to happen to the older girl. So for the sake of both girls, he prayed that Jisoo would be okay.