Chapter 25

Don't Deserve You

 

Before you guys start reading this chapter, I would like to say sorry in advance hehe. Please don't kill me . >_<

 

•••

 

Jisoo was working in her office when her phone suddenly rang. Without checking the caller I.D, she answered the call.

Jisoo: Hello?

Suho: Jichu!

Jisoo: Oppa! How are you?

Suho chuckled over the phone.

Suho: I'm fine Chu~ How are you?

Jisoo: I'm feeling great Oppa!

Suho: Ready for your surgery tomorrow?

Jisoo: To be honest I'm more nervous than ready.

Suho: There's nothing to worry about Sooya~ The surgery is a guaranteed success. You'll be all stitched up with a new heart before you know it.

Jisoo: I hope so. I just wish that you were here with me though... I mean you were the first one to diagnose me about my illness, and also the one who knows the most about it.

Suho let out an amused laugh.

Jisoo: What's so funny?

Suho: Come down to the lobby Chu~ I have a surprise for you~

Immediately, Jisoo stood up from her chair and quickly made her way down to the first floor.  

As soon as she entered the lobby of the company, she spotted Suho standing with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. 

Jisoo's eyes lit up with happiness as soon as she spotted the older boy.

Jisoo: Junmyeon Oppa!

Suho turns around at the sound of Jisoo calling out his name. He released a laughter of joy before spreading his arms out to welcome her.

Jisoo let out a  squeal of excitement before rushing over and jumped into Suho's arms.

The 2 were almost knocked off there feet, but were luckily stabled by Suho's strong figure. Pulling back from the hug, Suho glanced at Jisoo from top to bottom.

Suho: Wow, my Jichu has gotten a lot more beautiful since the last time I saw you.

Blushing at Suho's compliment, Jisoo playfully punched his shoulder.

Jisoo: Stop it Oppa. You're making me blush.

Suho laughed at her childlike behavior. He raises his hand and ruffles the younger's hair.

Suho: Aigoo~ You're still the same little kid I knew 2 years ago.

Returning him a smile, she nudged at the bouquet in his hand.

Jisoo: Are those for me?

Suho held the the flowers up and glanced at it.

Suho: This?

Jisoo nodded in reply.

Suho: No, they're for a friend.

Disappointed, Jisoo's face morphed into a pout, making her to look like a little 5 year old.

Suho laughs at her cuteness and flicked her forehead.

Suho: Aigoo~ I was just joking Sooya~ Of course these are for you. I bought them to congratulate on your big surgery.

Jisoo's eyes brightened at his words. 

Jisoo: Really?! They're for me?

Suho nodded and handed them to her. Jisoo eagerly accepts the bouquet and smelled the flowers.

Jisoo: Wow, they smell so good.

Suho places his hands inside his pockets and smiled at the younger.

Suho: I'm glad. I tried to find Lily of the Valleys, but they didn't have them.

Jisoo looks up towards Suho and gave him a grateful smile.

Jisoo: I love these Oppa.

Suho smiles, comforted by Jisoo's words.

Jisoo: Let's go grab lunch together Oppa! I'm in a good mood today!

Suho shot the younger a scrutinizing look.

Suho: You're not supposed to eat anything today Jisoo, your surgery is tomorrow morning. 

Jisoo realized her mistake and looked at Suho embarrassingly.

Jisoo: Whoops, I totally forgot.

Suho rolled his eyes and chuckled at the younger girl.

Suho: I have to go now though. I have a meeting with one of my father's old patients.

Jisoo nodded.

Jisoo: Alright Oppa. I'll see you later.

Suho: Do you need a ride to the hospital later?

Jisoo shook her head. 

Jisoo: I can drive myself.

Suho: Alright, but if you want you can still give me a call to pick you up.

Jisoo: I will.

Suho: By the way. What did you tell Jennie? Wouldn't she be wondering where you'll be for the next few weeks?

Jisoo: I told her I was going on a business trip.

Suho nodded.

Suho: Alright. I'll get going now Chu. I'll see you tonight. 

Jisoo: Bye oppa.

And with that, the older boy left. Jisoo took another look at her bouquet. Smiling to herself, she brought the flowers up towards her face once more and took another whiff. Turning on her heel, she headed back towards her room, a bright smile on her face.

 

•••

 

That evening, Jennie was preparing to head home when she recalled that Jisoo was going to be gone for the next few weeks. 

The feeling of sadness and disappointment had suddenly washed over her. But hidden beneath those feelings, there was another feeling settling at the pit of her stomach. An unsettling feeling, she felt as though something was about to happen. 

Shaking her thoughts away, she concluded that she was probably just tired. Releasing a sigh, she grabbed her bag and headed towards the elevator. Once she was down on the first floor, she suddenly remembered that she had needed to grab a document from Nayeon. 

Heading towards the employee's work room, she heard the noise of papers shuffling. 'That's weird, everyone should be home by now.' 

Opening the door, she spotted a tall, dark figure by one of the employee's desk. The person abruptly stopped what they were dong and looked up. 'Intruder!'

Jennie burst through the door, her breath quickening by every second.

Jennie: Who are you?! What are you doing here?! 

Jennie quickly made her way towards where the intruder was standing. The figure didn't seem to be moving, but just as Jennie had neared him, he had pushed her against the cabinets and hurriedly ran towards the door.

On his way out, the intruder had knocked over a vase which had splashed over the nearby electrical outlets.

The force of the push and Jennie's back hitting the cabinets had caused the cabinets to topple over on top of Jennie. Using her arms to cover herself, Jennie was knocked off her feet as the cabinets made impact with her arms. 

Falling to the ground, the cabinets had fallen on Jennie's leg, trapping her under them. Letting out a grunt of pain, she tried to pull herself out but to no avail.

Catching the smell of something burning, Jennie glances up to see that the outlets had sparked a fire. She shifted her gaze towards the doors to the room, and noticed that the intruder had locked it. 

Panicked, Jennie tired once again to push the cabinets off her, but it was took much for her to do all by herself. The fire was starting to spread, and smoke began to fill the room. Jennie started to cough due to the lack of oxygen, fumbling around, she tried to look for her phone to realize that she had left it in her office. 

Releasing another cough, she tried to call out for help.

Jennie: HELP!! *cough*

Jennie: SOMEBODY!!! PLEASE H-HELP M-ME!! *cough*

Jennie felt herself growing weaker by the second, she continued to cough and tried her best to cover her nose. Her eyes started to burn as she felt the smoke fill up in her eyes and lungs. She was running out of air. 

Looking towards her legs, Jennie with the last ounce of her strength tried to push herself out. However the cabinets were too heavy. 

She was starting to lose consciousness. 'Why hasn't anybody noticed the fire yet? Is help coming?'

Her thoughts suddenly wandered off to Jisoo. 'Has the older girl boarded her place yet? What would her reaction be when she finds out that Jennie had died? Died. That's it, Jennie was gonna die here.

No one was coming to save her. She was all alone. Jisoo was on board a plane and was making her way to a business trip, unaware that Jennie was suffocating in a room all by herself. Jennie began to feel the tears slip from her burning eyes. She felt the air slowly being away from her lungs. 

Releasing another spasm of coughs, she started to cry.

She was so scared. Where was Jisoo? She suddenly needed Jisoo. She wanted to be with Jisoo. She wants to be wrapped inside the older girl's arms. She wants this all to be some stupid nightmare; she wants to escape from this situation. 

The harder she hoped, the harder it was for her to try to stay awake. 

Glancing at the door once more, Jennie finally allows her head to fall towards the ground. Her hope was diminished. As she felt her consciousness slipping away, she heard the rattle of the door handle. 

Jennie tried to call out for help, but was too dry and clogged up with smoke to even speak. She tried to keep her eyes open, but she was just too tired. 'It's too late. I'm not gonna make it... Jisoo...'

And with that thought, Jennie felt her eyes start to close.

 

•••

 

Jisoo was on her way to the hospital when she suddenly felt a sinking feeling at the pit of her stomach.

Something felt wrong. She didn't know what it was, but something had told her that she needed to see Jennie one last time.

Checking to see if there were cars around, Jisoo immediately swerved her car back around, and headed towards Jennie's building.

Jisoo stepped on the pedal, her speed exceeded far more that the speed limit, but she didn't care.

The closer she approached the building, the more anxious she felt. Something was really wrong.

Her suspicions were proven as soon at she saw the gray smoke coming from the direction of the building. 

'Jennie!'

Jisoo sped up the car and quickly parked by a nearby parking lot. Ahead she saw that a couple of people were gathered outside the building who were already calling 911.

Rushing across the street, she glanced around to see if Jennie was there, but the younger girl was nowhere in sight.

Taking out her phone, Jisoo dialed Jennie's number.

'Voicemail.'

Jisoo looked inside hesitantly. Maybe Jennie wasn't in there, maybe she was at home and had fallen asleep.

As Jisoo was about to make another call to the latter, a dark figure suddenly burst through the entrance of the building. 

Realizing that something was definitely wrong, Jisoo rushes over and tackles him down.

She punched his face before taking off his mask.

Jisoo: Who are you?!

The intruder gave her a smug smile.

Intruder: I wouldn't worry about me if I were you.

Seeing Jisoo's puzzled face, he let out an amused laugh.

Intruder: That girl. The CEO of the company? She's trapped inside. Probably dead by now. Tsk, tsk. Being burned alive, what a painful way to die. If she's lucky, maybe she'll die of suffocation first.

The intruder laughed out loud crazily as he saw Jisoo's fearful face. Angered, Jisoo punched his face once more, breaking his nose in the process.

The intruder let out a groan of pain as Jisoo grabbed onto his collar. 

Jisoo: TELL ME WHERE SHE IS?!! 

The intruder kept his mouth shut which earned him another punch from Jisoo.

Jisoo: WHERE IS SHE?!!!

A couple of punches later, the intruder finally coughed out a response. 

Immediately, Jisoo got up and rushed towards the building. By now the firefighters had arrived and were forming a wall between the building and everyone else.

Jisoo tried to get through but was held back by a firefighter.

Firefighter: Miss! You can't go in, it's dangerous!

Ignoring him, Jisoo continued to push her way towards the door.

Firefighter: Miss, I'm gonna have to ask you to stop!

After a few more moments of struggling, Jisoo finally broke through, and quickly made her way into the building. 

Looking around, she finally spotted the room. She rushed towards it and tried to take ahold of the handle.

The metal was hot and had burned the skin of her hand as it made contact. Taking off her sweater, Jisoo wrapped it around her hand and rattled the handle.

'Locked.'

Jisoo: That damn bastard!

Jisoo pounded on the door as she called Jennie's name.

Jisoo: JENNIE-AH, CAN YOU HERE ME?!

Jisoo: JENNIE!!

Jisoo felt begin to close up as she choked on the smoke. Ignoring the burning feeling in her chest, Jisoo threw herself against the door and repeated the process a couple more times.

As the door started to give away, Jisoo gave it a few more kicks before it finally flew open.

Looking around rapidly, Jisoo tried to locate Jennie amidst the smoke. She spotted the latter under some cabinets. Rushing over, she knelt down besides Jennie and checked to see if she was still breathing.

Jisoo places her hand on Jennie's neck. She waited a few seconds before feeling the faint pulse beneath her fingers.

Releasing a sigh of relief, she took Jennie into her arms.

Jisoo: Jennie-ah! Wake up Jennie-ah! You're gonna be okay!

Glancing at the cabinets that were weighing on the younger's legs, Jisoo gently laid Jennie back down before getting up.

Using all the strength that she could muster, Jisoo lifted each of the cabinets and placed them aside.

Releasing a spasm coughs, Jisoo tried to calm down her breathing before bending back down to lift Jennie up.

The room was surrounded with smoke and fire, and Jisoo was starting to feel tired.

Her breathing was erratic and the pain of her aching heart was growing worse by the minute. Choking out another cough, Jisoo began to carry Jennie towards the door. 

A piece of the ceiling had suddenly fell from the building and blocked her path. 

Breathing heavily, Jisoo maneuvered her way through the block of cement with Jennie still unconscious in her arms. 

At the door, Jisoo felt the dizziness and pain wash over her all at once as she fell against the doorframe.

Shaking it away, she pushed herself off from the wall and ran out of the building with Jennie. As soon as she stepped out of the burning building, several firefighters immediately made their way towards her.

Jisoo collapses onto her knees and gently sets Jennie down before grabbing onto her chest in pain. 

It was getting more difficult for her to breathe. Every breath that she took felt like a thousand needles plunged into her heart.

Her vision began to blur, and it was getting more difficult for her to keep focus.

The first firefighter who had approached her was a woman who was probably in her mid 30s. 

Firefighter: Miss are you okay?

Jisoo panted breathlessly, before gesturing towards Jennie's unmoving figure.

Jisoo: Please... my wife... please s-save my wife. She's been i-in there f-for a while, I don't know how long.... but I... she had... been unconscious when I found her.

At Jisoo's words the firefighter immediately called the rest of her team over who had placed Jennie onto a stretcher to take her away.

Jisoo wanted to get up and follow them, but she had felt like all of the strength was sapped from her body.

The firefighter turns back to her with a worried look.

Firefighter: Miss, can you here me? Are you okay?

Jisoo wanted to reply, to say that she was fine, but the exhaustion and pain had finally taken its toll on her.

Jisoo felt herself drop to the ground as the firefighter continued to call out to her.

Everything that had happened next had all been a blur. One moment she was lifted onto a stretcher, an oxygen mask wrapped around her face. The next, she was suddenly moving, a hand was holding onto hers. And the last moment was when she was being rolled somewhere atop a gurney.

The last thing that Jisoo had seen before she fell unconscious was the panicked look of Chaeyoung looking down upon her.