Chapter 39 - Operation

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 39 - Operation

 

Semi’s POV

 

Few days later, Shijimi was to undergo an operation to remove her brain tumour. Even though the doctor told us that there is an 80% success rate, a brain operation is still a risky one, and even if it is successful, there might be side effects after the operation.

 

An hour before operation…

 

“Shijimi… don't worry, you’ll be fine…” I tried to comfort Shijimi as I can still sense her uneasiness.

 

“Semi… If… If I don't wake up… Please take care of Rika…”

 

“Shijimi!! I’m not allowing you to say so!! Rika needs you, so do I!! Remember? Your life is still under my control!”

 

I recalled… That was what I told Shijimi soon after I first met her. The period, where I was confused at my own actions and feelings… But right now… I am clear… I want to have Shijimi in my life…

 

“Semi… I’m just saying if… I was already prepared to die… Although… I really wanted to meet you once more before I die… Now that you’re back… I don't have much regrets…”

 

“........... Shijimi…… you can't be so cruel… Don't leave me yet… Alright…?”

 

“Semi……” Shijimi sat up on the bed and pulled my hands to sit on the bed. She wrapped her arms over my shoulders, giving me warm hugs as usual...

 

“I love you… no matter what happens, or wherever I may go, remember… there won't be any changes in my love for you…”

 

…………………….

 

No……..

 

I don't want to hear Shijimi speaking of such words…!!!

 

I was on the verge of tears…

 

“Semi…… don't cry…… I’ll work hard… I’ll… fight through this battle… I will… come back to you…”

 

“......... Shijimi…… You're evil… why do you always manage to see through me…? It’s unfair…”

 

Shijimi the back of my head gently, “hehe… Silly boy… because… I remember every single expressions of Semi… I know… when do you feel happy or sad, and when do you feel like crying… Every single image of Semi… is deeply recorded in my mind…”

 

“.......... Shijimi…… I’ll wait for you this time…… The operation will be long…… But I’ll be here… waiting patiently for you to come back…”

 

“Hehe… Ok… If I don't wake up, give me a kiss… I’ll wake up for you…”

 

I moved out of Shijimi’s embrace, and knocked my forehead on hers, “Silly Shijimi, this is not a fairytale you know?”

 

“But Semi… Being able to meet you and fall in love with you, it’s already like a fairytale to me… Thank you…… I’m feeling really… fortunate right now…”

 

“Then the prince shall give the princess a kiss right now…”

 

I moved my head forward slowly… landing my lips on Shijimi… I want to give her the powers… to withstand the long and tough operation…

 

All of us stayed with Shijimi till she was about to enter the operating theatre.

 

“Mama!! Auntie Maki brought me to the temple and we got this charm for you!! You must come back safely!!” Rika handed over a small pink charm to Shijimi.

 

“Rika…… thank you…… Mama will be fine…”

 

“Auntie Nana!! Don’t worry!! I will help you to take care of Rika!!” It was Sho speaking, the son of Keito and Maki.

 

“Huh, you’re talking so big, little brat.” Keito patted gently on Sho’s head.

 

“OUCH!! Papa!! It’s painful!!”

 

“Okok don't fight, Auntie Nana is going into the operations theatre now.”

 

“Shijimi…… Don't worry… You will go through this…”

 

“Um… I will… I’m going in then…” Shijimi gave us a wide smile and she was pushed into the operating theatre.

 

It is going to be a long wait…

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Five hours into the operation...

 

It has been five hours into the operation, I have asked Maki to bring Rika and Sho home to rest first while Keito and I stayed back.

 

“Semi, have a cup of coffee.”

 

“Ah, Keito, thanks…”

 

“....... Thanks for coming back in time…”

 

“...........” I looked at Keito with a confused face, what is he talking about?

 

“Nana was already on the verge of giving up living, because of your return, she regained her energy to fight against this battle…”

 

“............. No….. I…… I did nothing except making her suffer……”

 

“But that’s not what Nana thinks, she was satisfied with whatever you have given her… Especially Rika, she thinks of it as a present from the heaven.”

 

“............... Keito…… I would like to thank you too…… You and Maki have done a lot for us, I really appreciate it.”

 

“............. I’ll hand back Nana to you then… Take good care of her…”

 

“Yes, I will.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Another five hours has passed since, the nurses were running in and out of the operating theatre, I feel my heartbeat pumping non-stop whenever I see the doors opening.

 

Shijimi… You must be fine……

 

*Clicks*

 

AH! The lights went off!!!

 

Keito and I rushed to the entrance of the operating theatre, waiting for the doctors to come out.

 

“Doctor!! How is she?!?!” I rushed up to the doctor once he walked out.

 

“The operation was successful, she battled really hard for it. I believe she will wake up soon.”

 

“THANK YOU!!! DOCTOR!! THANK YOU!!!” I was really delighted!!

 

Next, I see the nurses pushing Shijimi out of the operating theatre, she had bandages on her head, and was looking a little pale, I quickly followed them into the room they are bringing her.

 

After settling down, I sat by Shijimi’s bed, waiting for her to wake up.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Semi!! Wake up!! Semi!!!”

 

Hmm……? Who is calling me……?

 

I opened my eyes, and saw Maki standing beside.

 

“Ah, Maki…”

 

“Semi, go home and take a rest first, I’ll switch with you.”

 

“.........? What are you talking about…?”

 

“Semi, you’ve been staying here for two days and not sleeping much, go home and take a rest first.”

 

“Ah……”

 

That’s right… It has been two days since the operation and Shijimi has yet to wake up……

 

I turned to look at Shijimi, she was still sleeping soundly… The anesthesia effects should have gone off already… Why isn’t Shijimi waking up?!?!

 

“I’ll stay here with Shijimi… I promised her I will wait for her to wake up.”

 

“........ Semi, you…”

 

“Maki, thank you… I know you mean well, but I’m fine, I really am.” I gave Maki a smile to assure her I am really fine.

 

“........... I give up…… You and Nana are equally stubborn.”

 

“Hehe~ I shall take that as a compliment. How is Rika? Is she behaving well?”

 

“She is, but I can see that she is worried for her mother. I hope Nana can wake up soon.”

 

“...... Me too……” My hands went up to caress Shijimi’s cheeks, “Shijimi…… I’m here… Everyone is waiting for you to wake up……”

 

“........... Yeah Nana…… Rika misses you too…”

 

……………………………………………

 

There was still no response from Shijimi…

 

I asked Maki to go back and look after Rika and Sho while I stayed with Shijimi.

 

“Shijimi…”

 

As I watch Shijimi, I recalled something...

 

“Hehe… Ok… If I don't wake up, give me a kiss… I’ll wake up for you…”

 

………….. Hmm……

 

Should I do that……?

 

Maybe I should…

 

I stood up from the chair, and moved my body gradually towards Shijimi…

 

My face got closer and closer to hers…

 

Looking at her pinky lips…

 

I moved mine towards her…

 

Almost…

 

I’m almost kissing her…

 

“........ Silly…… Semi……”

 

…………..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Do miracles happen? Maybe yes, maybe no. Or it may come and go… Between Shijimi and Semi a miracle appears, but… would it be long-lasting…?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------