Chapter 34 - Break Up

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

“...... Shi...jimi…?”

 

“Semi…”

 

“........... Come in……”

 

I turned my back on Shijimi, I need to… be harsh on her...

 

“.............” Shijimi was keeping her silence.

 

“Why are you here?” I decided to break it first, I want to end this fast, else, I might not be able to do it.

 

“Semi… Did something happened? You didn't visit me for the past few days… I was worried if anything happened to you... So I came...”

 

“...... Nothing happened, I just didn't want to visit you.”

 

“......... Did I… do anything wrong…?”

 

I took a look at Shijimi’s face, she was looking really pale, and my words are probably hurting her even more. I turned my face away, I might change my mind if I see her face longer.

 

“Nah, you did nothing. These few days I’ve been thinking over what happened. Especially Iwanishi, he’s dead, he died saving you. And whenever I think of that, I find it hard to face you. Because you’ll just remind me of his death.”

 

“......... Sorry… Semi…” Shijimi’s choking on her words.

 

… My heart… hurts so much...

 

“I thought you’ll understand if I stopped visiting you, but I guess you don't. So I’ll say it direct, let’s break up.”

 

“................ Semi…. Why are you saying this out of sudden...? Are you being threatened to do this? You’ll never do this to me, you said you won't leave me, right? I am not… unwanted… right?”

 

Sigh… Shijimi saw through me again… And her words… are piercing into my heart… deeply… She must be reminded of her past again, she was abandoned by both her real and fake parents… And right now, I am also going to abandon her once again...

 

“I’m not. I’m being serious.”

 

“....... No… you are not… I know it… Semi… what happened? Is there anything you can’t tell me??”

 

Shijimi was getting more and more panic, I can’t bear looking at her face anymore...

 

“I SAID I’M NOT!! I FIND IT HARD TO LOVE YOU ANYMORE!! WON'T YOU STOP BEING SO PERSISTENT?!?!”

 

I shouted for the first time to Shijimi. She must be… frightened by me…

 

“...... Semi…… no…… why…… why are you leaving me as well…?” Shijimi started tearing.

 

!!! Why did I make her so sad?? Why???

 

…… I want to hug her…

 

Let’s end this… once and for all…

 

“Because you are a jinx, you cause unfortunate to people around you. Just leave my sight, leave!”

 

“No… Semi!!!” Shijimi was grabbing my arms, I could feel her cold hands shivering non-stop.

 

“Get lost!!!” I dragged her to the door, opened the door and pushed her outside. I slammed the door hard on her.

 

“Semi!!! SEMI!!! UGHHHH!!!” Shijimi was shouting and crying hard…

 

While I, could only stand behind the door, listening to her miserable cries. I clenched my fist, withstanding my emotions, I was tearing along with Shijimi...

 

I could hear Shijimi’s crying, I could hear it clearly… So piercing clear that, her crying voice would be stuck in my mind forever, I can never forget how much sadness I am causing her...

 

How many minutes has it passed…? Is Shijimi… alright? Her injuries… have they recovered…?

 

“Nana!!! Why are you crying???”

 

!!!!! It was Keito’s voice!!

 

“Nana!!! Answer me!!! What did that bastard do to you?!?!”

 

……… I could only hear Keito’s voice… Has Shijimi finally stopped crying…?

 

“NANA!!! STOP CRYING!! YOUR BODY WON’T BE ABLE TO TAKE IT!!”

 

!!!!! WHAT HAPPENED?!?! I WANT TO SEE SHIJIMI!!

 

My hands was reaching for the door knob…

 

“What are you trying to do??”

 

……. The bastard in my apartment placed his hands on the door, preventing me from opening. … how I wish I could just kill him off!!

 

“NANA!! HANG ON!!! I’LL BRING YOU BACK NOW!!!”

 

!!!!!!!! WHAT?!?! WHAT HAPPENED TO SHIJIMI???

 

I couldn't care anymore, I opened the door despite the bastard standing just beside me. When the door was opened, what I saw was Keito carrying a strengthless Shijimi and running away very fast.

 

… It must be Shijimi’s injuries acting up again...

 

No…

 

Semi, it is not the injuries that are causing her pain. It was your words. You have hurt her greatly, because of your own sins, you have caused such a tragedy to happen...

 

On the person you love...

 

……………………… My legs lost its strength and I fell to the ground, kneeling down, what have I done…? WHAT HAVE I DONE TO SHIJIMI?!?!

 

“HAHAHA!! Thank you Semi!! I have had a great fun watching this drama!!!”

 

………… !!!!

 

“Leave my apartment now. Haven’t you got what you wanted?”

 

“Arara, have you forgotten something? You’re not supposed to stay in Japan anymore.”

 

I couldn’t control my anger anymore, I stood up and held the bastard by his collars,

 

“............ !! Why do you have to do this?!?!”

 

“That’s my question to you, why did you had to kill innocent people when they are not your targets?”

 

“...............”

 

“Do you remember what happened five years ago?? You have taken the lives of my brother, his wife, along with my wife and son. I lost my family because of you! Do you know what it feels to see the corpses of your loved ones?!?!”

 

“.............. Five years ago…?”

 

…………. Ah…… I remembered…

 

It was shortly after I become a professional killer, I received a job to kill a guy who was a reporter who had taken scandalous picture of a particular politician. I went to his house, wanting to only take his life, but who knows his family members were also inside. After killing him, I killed his wife, when I was about to go into the toilet to clean myself up, I found another lady and a small kid in the toilet hiding.

 

The lady was telling me she is just the sister-in-law of the guy I have just killed, she asked me to spare their lives. Of course I couldn’t agree, and she said she’ll exchange her life for her son’s and wants me to spare the life of her son. I could still remember her pleading face and crying voice.

 

I took her life as she wished, but I didn't not give in to her pleadings. I killed the son shortly after her. I could still remember this incident, because he was the first kid I have ever killed.

 

To be honest, I was kind of surprise I could do it. I thought I won't be able to land my blade on a kid, but… I did it. It was that job that made me infamous later on, in the underground society.

 

I knew I would get my retribution one day, but I had never imagined it to happen this way, dragging Shijimi down into sorrows with me.

 

“Since then, I have been training myself, to take revenge on you one day. But I don't want you to die, I want you to have a life worse than being dead.”

 

I returned back to reality upon that bastard’s voice.

 

“......... I’ll listen to whatever you say, if you promise to not get Shijimi involved anymore.”

 

“Hahaha!! I want you and your lover to live without ever meeting each other again. I want you to leave Japan right now, and never come back.”

 

“......... Alright.”

 

I couldn't find any way to rebuke him anymore.

 

Shijimi… I am sorry… I am very very sorry… But I hope you can remember, I love you… I love only you…

 

I left Japan that night, without informing anyone, if I disappear… At least… Shijimi can live on…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: What a heartbreaking chapter, what will happen to Semi and Shijimi? Will they ever get to meet again? Will Semi get the chance to explain himself?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------