Chapter 27 - Unwanted Child

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

The next morning, I received a call from Iwanishi early in the morning, he told me Shijimi’s father is planning to run away and rushed me to go execute my job immediately.

 

Crap! Shijimi is still asleep… I haven't got the chance to tell her…

 

Sigh.

 

“Shijimi, I’m sorry, I’m going out to execute my job now. You rest for a little more. Alright?” I spoke gently to Shijimi who was still soundly asleep.

 

I don't have time, sorry… Shijimi…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Reaching the place, I peeked through the window and saw Shijimi’s father panicking packing his luggage, I waited at the door for him.

 

When he opened the door and was about to get out I pushed him back into the room and locked him down on the floor with my body.

 

“Wait! Don't kill me!!! I’ll return the money!! Give me a little more time!!!” He was pleading me.

 

“.......... Sorry, you and I don't have a choice.” I was about to cut his throat, but I heard footsteps coming near.

 

“Semi!! Wait!!!”

 

…………… Shijimi……?

 

I turned around and it was indeed Shijimi, why is she here…?

 

“Semi… wait… can you give me some time…?”

 

“You’re…… Nana…? You’re are Nana right???”

 

The man recognized Shijimi.

 

“............ Yes I am…”

 

“Nana!! Save me!!! I don't want to die yet!!”

 

I tied the man up and shut his mouth up first, to prevent him from running away.

 

“Shijimi, why are you here?”

 

“Semi… Sorry… Yesterday I bought you a gift, and wanted to surprise you by putting it in your jacket, so I took your jacket while you're asleep, and a photo dropped out…”

 

“.......... Shijimi… Sorry… I wanted to let you know beforehand… but…”

 

“I understand… You couldn't bear to see me getting upset, I understand totally… I don't blame you…”

 

“Shijimi, if you don't want me to kill him then I won't.”

 

“....... I don't know yet… But can you spare me some time? I want to confirm something with him…”

 

“Sure…”

 

I took off the masking tape off the man’s face.

 

“Nana!! Forgive me!! I really didn't want to sell you away!!! We had no choice!!!”

 

“Father… should I call you this…? Can you tell me the truth? Of what happened after I was born?”

 

“Nana… Ok… First, your mother and I weren’t real couple in the first place, we did not marry each other. We were both debtors of your biological father. Your father got us to fake as parents to look after you as a way to repay our debts. He will support us financially to bring you up.”

 

…………… What…….? Shijimi’s biological father is really despicable.

 

“Wait, if that's so, why did you still sell Shijimi away?” It was my turn to question him.

 

“Shijimi…? Who is Shijimi?”

 

“I mean! Nana, why did you sell her away?”

 

“As for that… Nana, it’s the work of your father’s wife. She found out about your existence and stopped your father from giving us anymore money. And we were still in debts… So we decided to sell you away and split the earnings…”

 

“............ You bastard!” I couldn't stand it anymore. I punched him in the face, hard.

 

“Nana!!! Help me… Afterall we have looked after you for twelve years… Isn't it…?”

 

“........... Now I understand why… Why I didn't have a childhood like others. Both of you have never treated me as your child, you were just using me to clear your debts. I wasn't loved at all… right…?”

 

“Nana… I…… Sorry……”

 

……………….. I was looking at Shijimi throughout, she was showing such a sad expression. … she doesn't deserve all these!!

 

“Semi… I’m done…” Shijimi turned away from her ‘father’.

 

“Shijimi… Are you sure? There won't be a turning back…”

 

“Um…” Shijimi nodded her head. Her tears were dripping down…

 

…………… I went up to the man, and ended his life in one strike.

 

The next moment, I heard Shijimi’s crying voice, I turned to look at her shivering back. She was crying so badly, her sniffing voice was hurting my heart so much.

 

I went up slowly to her, and hugged her from the back.

 

“Shijimi… It’s fine… everything is over… I’m here… I’m here to love you…”

 

Shijimi cried even harder, crap, my heart is feeling so suffocating, how can I comfort her…?

 

“Semi… I am an unwanted child… will you leave me like them one day too?”

 

………………

 

I turned Shijimi’s body over, my hands held her face up, I looked into her eyes,

 

“Shijimi… I won't… I won't leave you… I promise…”

 

“Semi…”

 

I hugged Shijimi tightly in my arms, she cried for a while more before calming down.

 

On the way back, Shijimi was being really quiet.

 

Sigh… How can I cheer her up…?

 

After thinking of the various possible ways… I got an idea.

 

“Shijimi, let’s do some groceries shopping! I’ll make you dinner tonight!!”

 

Yes I have said it. A bento-freak like me have just said that I want to cook.

 

Anyway, I’m only planning to make curry rice, it shouldn’t be that difficult right??

 

“Semi… you can cook…?”

 

“........ No… but I want to try!!!”

 

“Hehe… Ok… I’ll look forward to it!!” Shijimi finally showed me a smile.

 

We went home after getting the ingredients, and I went into the kitchen to prepare the dinner.

 

“Semi… Shall I help you??” Shijimi came into the kitchen but I stopped her,

 

“No!! I’m doing it by myself, just wait in the living room, ok?”

 

“...... Ok…”

 

After an hour of messing in the kitchen, finally I am done with the curry rice!!!

 

“Shijimi!!! I’m done!!!”

 

“Oh!! Ok!!”

 

I brought out the dish to the dining table, Shijimi was looking really excited.

 

“Wow, this looks delicious!!! Itadakimasu!!!”

 

Shijimi started eating the curry rice I have prepared.

 

“How is it…?” I was looking earnestly at Shijimi, hoping that she will say it’s delicious.

 

“....................”

 

CRAP What is this silence…? Did I mess it up??

 

“Semi…… the curry is nice…… but…… it’s too hot!!!” Shijimi dashed into the kitchen to take a glass of water and started gobbling it down.

 

“AH! Shijimi!! Are you ok??” I rushed up to her side, she was coughing slightly from the spiciness.

 

“I’m ok…”

 

“Shijimi… Sorry… I messed it up… I forgot to taste the curry while cooking...”

 

“Hahaha! Semi, it’s a nice try, and you should try it as well!”

 

Shijimi fed me one spoonful of the curry rice and seconds later I feel my face getting hot.

 

“AHH!!! It’s too spicy!!!!!!!!!!”

 

“HAHAHA!!! Semi!!! Your expression is so funny!!!” Shijimi was laughing widely.

 

……………………..

 

I took a closer look of her face, I’m not sure is it due to the spiciness or... her eyes were teary…

 

“Shijimi… I think I am really not cut out for cooking… Sorry, I’ll pour this away and buy us bento…”

 

I was about to clear the plates but Shijimi hugged me from the back.

 

“Semi… Thank you… I know you did this to cheer me up… This curry is still edible, I’ll add a bit more water and sugar and it should be fine. I don’t want to… waste your efforts… I really cherish what you did for me…”

 

“Shijimi……”

 

Shijimi was hugging me tighter, the silence which was not awkward between us. Rather, it’s a sign of peace…

 

That night, I patted Shijimi to sleep, and soon I fell asleep as well.

 

………………………………………………

 

Hmm…? What is this emptiness…?

 

I had a weird feeling, and opened my eyes…

 

Hmm…? Where is Shijimi…?

 

She wasn’t lying beside me...

 

I sat up on the bed, and saw a sketchbook on the coffee table, I took it up and saw a piece of drawing. Shijimi drew me while I was in the kitchen cooking for her… Despite searching around my apartment I still couldn’t spot her.

 

Ah… There’s wind blowing in from the balcony…

 

I walked towards it, and saw Shijimi sitting there.

 

“Shijimi… why are you here? Don’t you feel cold?” I went up to her, touching her body which felt so cold.

 

“Ah Semi… Nothing… I… I was just thinking of some things…”

 

“.......... Shijimi… are you still sad over what happened?” I sat down beside her, and held her hands.

 

“........... Um… A little… But Semi… don’t worry… I’m not crying… If I cry… you’ll be sad, right? I will get over it… I should have gotten over it long ago… I knew that they didn’t love me from young… I knew it long ago…”

 

I hugged Shijimi from her back while sitting down, placing my arms over her shoulders, trying to warm her up.

 

“Shijimi… I am sorry that I can’t change the past for you, but I will change the future for you. From now on, remember, I’ll always love you. No matter what happens, remember that there is a person named Semi who will love you till eternity... Ok…?”

 

“Semi……. Thank you……. Earlier on I was thinking of a new dream...”

 

“...... a new dream?”

 

Shijimi turned to look at me, “I was thinking… one day I hope to have a child with Semi… And we’ll give our child a proper childhood, with lots of love and fun. I’m hoping it will come true…”

 

I knocked my forehead on Shijimi’s forehead, “AH!! Semi!!”

 

“Silly Shijimi… Of course it’ll come true. I’ll make it come true. I promise.”

 

Shijimi smiled satisfiedly, and I landed my smile on hers.

 

What would we look like if we become parents…?

 

I smiled thinking of the various possible kinds of parents we might become…

 

Somehow… Shijimi’s dream, might have become mine too...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Shijimi’s dream is my dreams too! It’ll be fun and fulfilling to form a family with a guy you love and loves you as much! I hope their wishes can come true!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------