Chapter 48 - Graduation and the Surprise

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 48 - Graduation and the Surprise

 

Semi’s POV

 

The next day, Shijimi woke up early to dress up Rika. While looking at them, I started feeling very anxious for Rika as well.

 

Not only Shijimi and myself, Keito, Maki and Sho will be joining us today as well, we departed for Rika’s school once we are all ready.

 

We watched Rika receiving her certificate on stage, she looks really cute today. I turned to look at Shijimi, I could see her watery eyes, I held her hands tightly, feeling afraid that she would leave me any time…

 

“That’s it for our giving out certificates today.”

 

We heard the host of the day giving his speech, this ceremony is ending… It is just too fast…

 

“Before we end this ceremony, we would like to award one of our students with a special award. This student has participated in the national drawing competition for juniors and has won the top prize. We would like to award her with a special trophy, and her winning award painting will be displayed just outside the hall. Please have a look at the drawing done by our talented student.”

 

Shijimi and I looked at each other, I think we are thinking and wondering about the same thing…

 

“Let’s applaud and welcome our talented young artist on stage, Yamada Rika!”

 

“AHH!!!!”

“AHHH!!!”

 

Shijimi and I both yelled at the same time.

 

“RIKA??”

 

We saw Rika going back on stage to receive her award.

 

I could feel Shijimi grabbing my hands tightly, I turned to look at her, her tears flowed down her cheeks.

 

While I bite my lower lip, trying to control myself from crying.

 

I am feeling very touched…

 

I will never forget this moment…

 

“Rika-chan, have you got any words to say?”

 

Ahh!! The host passed the microphone to Rika…!!

 

“Eh… Thank you everyone… I feel very honoured to be standing here receiving this award. I would like to thank my mother and father for giving me the idea for my drawing. And also uncle Keito and auntie Maki and little brat Sho, for accompanying me since young. I love all of you. Mama, I will do what you told me, don’t worry and just leave everything to me. I will become the person you want me to become. And lastly, Papa, Rika is here, Rika will stay here. Don’t worry. Thank you everyone!”

 

……………. I feel very grateful… to be blessed with Rika as my daughter…

 

“Semi…”

 

“Yeah…?”

 

“Rika has matured a lot… It seems like we can rely on her from now on…”

 

“Yeah… thanks to you… You have brought her up well.”

 

“No… because you gave me a lot of love, that’s why I could give her as much. Thank you, Semi.”

 

…………………….

 

“Silly girl… Let’s go, we need to see what Rika drew.”

 

I held Shijimi’s hands and headed outside the hall to take a look at Rika’s drawing.

 

…………………….

 

I was stunned…

 

So was Shijimi…

 

That drawing…

 

Was the one Rika drew of us when we brought her to the park…

 

It was a drawing of Shijimi and I sitting in the park, looking at each other with smiles, the background contained beautiful and red maple leaves…

 

“Ah… Semi, look.”

 

“Hmm…?”

 

I looked at where Shijimi pointed to, there were some wordings below the drawing.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was young, my mother told me my father was away to do important stuff somewhere. Thus, I asked my mother to show me pictures of my father, but she said she had none so she drew for me. Everytime when I want to see my father, she would draw a new drawing of my father for me. From her drawings, I could picture in my mind what my father looked like. I like how powerful my mother’s drawings are, thus I started drawing as well. My father came back to us when I was five years old, since then, my mother’s drawings always contain my father and I playing together. I asked my mother, why doesn’t she draw herself inside? She told me, because in her eyes, she could only see my father and I. Therefore I have decided to draw this, Mama, this is how you and Papa look like in my eyes. I wish Mama and Papa will be smiling like this together forever.

From Rika

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

……………………………

 

So that was why Rika had been so secretive about her drawing…

 

I am guessing this is the surprise she meant…

 

“Mama! Papa!”

 

“Rika!!”

 

“Mama, do you like my surprise?”

 

“Yes! I do! Thank you, Rika…” Shijimi held Rika’s hands tightly...

 

“Papa, here.” Rika raised up her hands, hinting me to hold onto it.

 

“................. Hai~” I held her tiny hands, and the three of us were holding our hands together while walking out of Rika’s school.

 

While I am feeling very fortunate now…

 

Yet this small little happiness will soon be taken away from me…

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

We had celebrations for Rika that day, and I used my camera to capture all these beautiful moments. Shijimi was also enjoying herself to the fullest. She was smiling and laughing a lot…

 

Although I wonder if her body condition is alright…

 

“Shijimi, how are you feeling?” I checked on Shijimi’s condition upon returning back to our bedroom.

 

“Good! I’ve never felt this happy for so long! Seeing Rika’s achievements and how mature she has become really makes me feel very blissful. I guess, I don’t have to worry much about her even after I leave this world.”

 

“...................................”

 

Sigh…… I find myself getting lost for words again……

 

“Now…… my only worry is you, Semi……”

 

“....................................”

 

“............. Semi…… Like I have said before, I am very satisfied with what I have now. I was born as an unwanted child, nobody showered me with any love... until I met you. You saved me from sorrow, you lit up my world, you brought hope into my life, you gave me so much love that I have always yearned for. I have no more complaints…”

 

“............. But Shijimi, I… I want to spend more time with you, I still haven’t done much for you...”

 

“...... Semi… You did, you have fulfilled the promise you made to me, the one that we promised to have a kid and give her a proper childhood. Seeing Rika growing so well, I have no more regrets…”

 

“.................. Don’t say anymore……”

 

I can’t take this…

 

It seems like Shijimi is giving her last words…

 

I don’t want to listen…

 

“............ I have one last wish… Can you fulfill it for me?”

 

“................ What is it…?”

 

“............ Can you…… kiss me…?”

 

“.................................”

 

“.......... Semi…?”

 

“....... I don’t want to……”

 

“.......... Why…?”

 

“...... I have a feeling if I kiss you now, it means that you will leave me now……”

 

“............ Semi…”

 

“So, before I kiss you, don’t you dare leave me……”

 

“........... Se…”

 

*Knocks*

 

“Mama! Can I sleep with you and Papa tonight?”

 

Rika knocked on the door and came in saying that she wants to sleep with us tonight.

 

“Oh Rika! Sure!! Come over!”

 

Shijimi pulled Rika to our bed, while I wanted to go to the washroom to wash my gloomy face, it was when Rika pulled my hands.

 

“Papa! You come as well!!”

 

Rika pulled me to the bed, where she lied in between us, with her hands holding both Shijimi’s and mine.

 

I could receive warmth from Rika’s hands…

 

Why does it seem that…

 

Rika is trying to console me…?

 

Am I…

 

A useless father…?

 

But…

 

I don’t know……

 

I don’t know how to continue my life if Shijimi leaves me…

 

“Papa!”

 

“Hmm…? Yes Rika?”

 

“Rika loves Papa and Mama!! Goodnight!!” Rika kissed me on the cheeks, and I saw her kissing Shijimi on her cheeks as well.

 

………………… I smiled.

 

Thank you Rika…

 

“Papa and Mama love you too, Rika… Good night!”

 

I turned to face Rika, with one hand holding Rika’s hand, my other hand reached for Shijimi’s hands.

 

The three of us held our hands together, and had a peaceful and soothing night in each other’s warmth that night…

 

It was so comfortable…

 

That I wish that time would stop at this moment...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: This day is probably the last day where Shijimi could live normally like any other beings...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------