Chapter 51 - Home

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 51 - Home

 

Semi’s POV

 

When I was home, I informed everyone of this huge decision. I thought that maybe one of them would be against my decision, but I was wrong.

 

I started cleaning the room before fetching Shijimi back so that she can have a comfortable life after she returns.

 

“Papa, I’ll help you!”

 

“Ah… Rika? Ok! Pull that side of the bedsheet!”

 

“Ok!!”

 

Rika helped me to clean up the room, but of course… I still feel sad…

 

It seems, we are also preparing ourselves in advance as well…

 

For the time Shijimi will eventually leave us…

 

“Papa… actually… Mama already told us she wishes to come back home…”

 

“........!!! When did she?!?!”

 

“...... The day before my graduation ceremony… When Mama was home for the first time after so long.”

 

“...... Who did she tell this to?”

 

“...... Uncle Keito, Auntie Maki, and me…”

 

“..............”

 

No wonder… no one was shocked when I told them I am bringing Shijimi back home.

 

So… I was the last to know about this.

 

“Papa… don't blame Mama… She can't bring herself to say it to you too… She knows you’ll get upset… But… she told us she will tell you by herself… She believed… you will grant her wish…”

 

“............. Rika… I don't know… Did I make a rash decision? Your Mama… maybe she could be saved… Maybe… there’ll be a miracle…”

 

“...... Papa… I don't know as well… But… I believe we both feel that right now this is the best we can do for Mama, right? If that's so… then I think, we have made the correct decision.”

 

“Rika…”

 

“Papa… Even if Mama is gone, Rika will take over Mama’s place and stay with Papa…”

 

“............ Sorry Rika… Papa is useless…”

 

I sure am…

 

I am so useless… that I need my daughter to comfort me…

 

“Papa… you’re not! Because you are Mama’s chosen man, right? Mama always told me you are a strong man, you saved her again and again, and after meeting you, she has led the happiest time of her life. So, you are not useless!”

 

“........... Thank you… Rika… Let’s… smile and accompany Mama for the rest of her time, ok?”

 

“Ok!”

 

-----------------------------------------------------

 

After setting up our home so that it will be easy for Shijimi to move around in wheelchairs, we seeked the doctor for advice on how to take care of Shijimi once we bring her home.

 

The doctor told us that she will feel weak and pain in her body, we should give her medicine if she cannot withstand the pain and requests for the medicine. But too much of the medicine would cause drowsiness to her and she will begin to lose bits and pieces of her consciousness.

 

The good thing is, at least Keito would be able to help if anything really happens...

 

Today…

 

Shijimi is coming home…

 

All of us went to the hospital to fetch her home...

 

“Mama!!”

 

“Rika!! Ah! Everyone is here!!”

 

“Nana, because everyone misses you at home, so all of us came together.” Maki said.

 

“Yeah Nana, I’ll make your favourite gyudon tonight!” Then Keito…

 

“Auntie Nana!! I’ll make sure to eat a lot of the gyudon my father would make!!” Then Sho.

 

“You little brat!!” And Keito started bickering with Sho again.

 

“HAHAHA!!! Sho, you’re so funny!!” Shijimi was laughing at the idiotic pair of father and son.

 

“Mama, Papa and I chose this set of new clothes for you to wear home!”

 

“Wow!! Thank you!!”

 

…………………… Yeah……

 

It was Rika’s idea on this, and while shopping with Rika for Shijimi’s clothes, I recalled…

 

The time when I first brought Shijimi to the mall for her to get some new clothes after I saved and brought her back to my home.

 

How cute she looked in my eyes…

 

I could still remember…

 

All the memories I have had with Shijimi…

 

I still cannot believe…

 

Shijimi…

 

She will leave me soon…

 

“Semi…”

 

“....... Hmm…? Yes? Shijimi??”

 

“Help me… change into the new set of clothes…”

 

“Oh… ok…”

 

I chased everyone out of the ward, while I gently helped Shijimi remove her hospital wear.

 

I got a shock seeing her bare body…

 

She has become so skinny… and so fragile…

 

It was hurtful to see her in such a state…

 

“Semi……”

 

“Yeah…?”

 

“I am really happy now…”

 

“...................”

 

“Because… I could feel the love from everyone…”

 

“..................”

 

“I am not… unwanted anymore… right?”

 

“........ Shijimi… of course. You are someone important to us, you have brought a lot of miracles into our lives, you have saved us from our pool of sorrow. Be it Keito, Maki, and myself…”

 

“........... Thank you, Semi… I’m… really glad to hear that…”

 

“................”

 

“......... Semi…”

 

“Yeah…?”

 

“I’ve not… seen your smile for quite some time, would you… smile for me?”

 

“............... Sure…”

 

I smiled, from the bottom of my heart…

 

Despite having the urge to cry right now.

 

I have to…

 

Make Shijimi happy and not worry for me.

 

“Let’s… go home…”

 

I smiled and said to Shijimi after I had changed her clothes for her.

 

She returned me a wide smile, a smile, that was so gentle yet sparkling...

 

Shijimi and us bidded farewell to the doctor and nurses who had been taking care of her before we headed back home.

 

Upon reaching the gate of our home, I said to Shijimi,

 

“Shijimi… Welcome home…”

 

“Hehe… Semi… I’m… home…”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Preparing for the last days… What kind of feelings are these…?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------