Chapter 30 - Second Warning

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 30 - Second Warning

 

Semi’s POV

 

After having the cake that Shijimi and Maki baked, we headed back to my apartment.

 

While holding Shijimi’s hands, somehow I can feel her uneasiness.

 

“Shijimi? Are you alright?”

 

“...... Semi… I’m fine… I’m just…”

 

“...........yeah…?”

 

“I’m just worried, that I’m getting a little too greedy… I should be satisfied with what you have given me up till now. But… I want more… I want to be with Semi for a while more before having to leave this world…”

 

“Shijimi!! What are you talking about?!?! You are not leaving this world!! I am not letting you leave without my permission!”

 

“........ Semi… I’m not sure… Is it ok for me to be this greedy… I want Semi by my side, I don't want to… die so fast... Because I’ve finally found the meaning of life… I… I want to live on…”

 

………… I came to realise.

 

The all-smiles Shijimi earlier on was just her putting on a strong side to calm us down. Deep inside, she was feeling so insecure and scared.

 

“Shijimi, you are not being greedy, and I’ll protect you. Just trust me… Ok…?”

 

“There isn't a single time I lost trust in you… Semi… Except…”

 

“Except…?” Crap, what did I do???

 

“Except the time I thought you and Maki were couples… Because I felt inferior… and… I just got too jealous… So that's not exactly Semi’s fault.”

 

“....... Shijimi… my heart is weak… Don't scare me like that…” I pinched Shijimi’s cheeks.

 

“Hahaha! Semi! It’s painful!!”

 

“No one ask you to be this mischievous!!”

 

“Semi… I’ve said this many times… But I want to say again… I… I love you… very very much…”

 

“Silly Shijimi… I love you as much too. So… you can't leave me, promise me…”

 

“....... I promise you…”

 

We continued walking back, and was about to cross the traffic light, Shijimi squatted down to tie her shoelaces. While looking at her, I heard the engine of a speeding motorcycle coming near.

 

I looked up, and saw the motorcycle coming towards us… No… it was aiming for Shijimi!!

 

“Shijimi!!!!” I quickly hugged Shijimi and pulled her to fall back.

 

“AHH!!”

 

“Shijimi!!! Are you alright??”

 

“Ah… Semi… I’m ok…”

 

I looked up and saw that the motorcyclist has drove away.

 

“Shijimi, you have a bruise on your leg, I’ll carry you home.”

 

“Semi, I can still walk.”

 

“Shijimi, you don't have a choice.”

 

I carried Shijimi up and headed home quickly.

 

… That wasn't a coincidence… Right…?

 

That was another warning for me…

 

Someone is aiming for Shijimi’s life…

 

The whole night I was feeling so uneasy, what should I do…?

 

The next day…

 

After thinking for one night, I decided.

 

I will get Maki and Keito to help me look after Shijimi for the time being, while Iwanishi and I search for the culprit who is targeting Shijimi’s life.

 

Although I feel quite reluctant of leaving Shijimi to Keito, but I have no other choices…

 

I just hope to get rid of the culprit quick and fetch Shijimi back as soon as possible.

 

For the next three weeks, Iwanishi and I were busy with finding the culprit but were in veins.

 

I feel myself getting less patient as time goes by. Not able to find the culprit was one reason, the other being, I miss Shijimi so much. I miss her cute face, I miss her pretty smiles, I miss her gentle touch. And when she's not around, the ringing in my left ear come and go again. Though it was pretty mild compared to the past, but it is still pretty much irritating.

 

“Semi, I bought dinner for us.”

 

“Thanks Iwanishi, leave it there first I’ll eat later.”

 

“Look at you, just a few weeks of not having your Shijimi by your side you have become a living zombie.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“Don't get so depressed, I have a feeling we’ll find the culprit soon.”

 

“....... I hope so too…”

 

*RINGS*

 

Ah! There's a phone ring!! Is it from Shijimi??? I took out my phone…

 

“Hello, this is Iwanishi.”

 

Crap… It was Iwanishi’s call… Argh… I miss Shijimi’s voice too… How is she…? Sigh…

 

“Semi.”

 

“..........”

 

“SEMI!”

 

“What?”

 

“Someone is looking for you.”

 

“Who??”

 

“Just pick it up.” Iwanishi pushed his phone to me.

 

“Hi…” I must have sounded displeased as I wasn't in the mood to chat.

 

“Semi…”

 

“............ Shi…..”

 

“How are you?”

 

“Shijimi!!!! I’m… I’m…”

 

“I miss you…”

 

“............. Shijimi…… me too…”

 

“Semi, I hope you don't mind me calling… I know you told us to not have contact till the real culprit is caught… But… I just can’t stop worrying for you…”

 

“No… Shijimi, it’s fine… And I am perfectly healthy too.”

 

“Did your ear give you any problems?”

 

“........ Slightly… But no worries, it is still bearable.”

 

“That's great to hear…”

 

“Shijimi… give me a little more time… I’ll fetch you back soon.”

 

“Semi… my time is already yours. I’ll wait for you no matter how long it takes…”

 

“Nana, come have dinner! I made your favorite gyudon!”

 

………. That was Keito’s voice. He did it on purpose so that I could hear what he is saying through the phone.

 

“Semi, have you had dinner?”

 

“Ah… not yet but Iwanishi had bought me bento”

 

“I see… Go have your bento ok? Else you won't have energy to catch the culprit.”

 

“Ok… go have your ‘gyudon’ too.” Crap, I tried to, but I couldn't hide my jealousy.

 

“Semi… Are you ok…?”

 

, I made Shijimi worry again!

 

“I’m fine! Let’s go have our dinner. See ya soon, Shijimi…”

 

“........ Ok… Bye… Semi…”

 

“Bye…”

 

We ended the call reluctantly. Crap… the phone call just made my desire to meet Shijimi even stronger…

 

But, it also motivated me to work harder and catch the culprit faster...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Such a cute yet malancholy phone call… I really like how Semi gets jealous over Shijimi and Keito. haha~

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------