Chapter 14 - Dangerous Love

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

“............... Yeah, Semi, I’m sorry to say this to you at such a timing. But you must leave your Shijimi.”

 

What the did Iwanishi just said?!?!

 

Iwanishi didn't tell me more over the phone, he just wanted me to get to his place tomorrow before giving me a proper explanation.

 

“Semi, are you ok? You seem lost ever since you picked up that phone call.” Shijimi brought me back from my thoughts.

 

“Ah… I’m fine. Let’s have dinner, I bought food for us.”

 

That whole night I couldn't get over what Iwanishi said. But I should have known it, isn't it? I’m not a “normal” person to begin with, to be exact, I’m a cold-blooded killer who has taken countless lives, do I expect myself to be able to lead a normal life like others?

 

But…

 

I want to… at least... try leading a normal life for once… with Shijimi… Can't I even have such a small wish…?

 

…………

 

Zzzzzz….

 

*RINGSSSSSSS*

 

AHHH!! MY EAR!!!

 

It's been a few days since it last rang, I almost forgotten about this problem of mine.

 

… It’s ringing so loud!!!

 

“Semi!!!”

 

AH……. The ringing is gradually going off…

 

“Shijimi…?”

 

Shijimi appeared right infront of me while I was lying on the sofa, though she wasn't touching my ear this time, the ringing was able to cease upon hearing her calling my name.

 

“Semi, is your ear ringing again??”

 

“How did you know?? I didn't make any noise just now, and you were sleeping on the bed…”

 

“I’m not sure… Somehow, I can sense it… Has the ringing stopped?”

 

“Yeah… This time it stopped just by you calling my name…”

 

“That's great… Ahh!!”

 

I sat up and pulled Shijimi towards me, giving her a tight hug.

 

“Semi… you have troubles… right?”

 

“............”

 

“And you can't tell me, right?”

 

“..............”

 

“I won't force you to tell me, but remember I am here with you… ok…?”

 

“.......... Don't leave me… ok?” It’s the first time I’m feeling so afraid, I don’t want to leave Shijimi… I really don’t...

 

“........ I won’t, I promise……” I felt relieved upon hearing this from Shijmi...

 

“I’m fine already, you should get back to sleep.” I moved away from Shijimi, looking deeply at her face in the dark room.

 

“..... Do you want to… sleep with me…?”

 

“!!!!!! Wha……?!?!”

 

“I feel bad for making you sleep on the sofa all the time…”

 

“........”

 

“Come…” Shijimi held my hands and pulled me to the bed.

 

While lying beside each other, I felt calm, it was so calm that I almost forgotten about what Iwanishi said.

 

“Semi… I like you, a lot, a lot…” Shijimi turned her face to mine, and hugged me tightly.

 

It was a comfortable night, I wished that I can continue enjoying this simple kind of happiness…

 

The next day, at Iwanishi’s apartment

 

“Oh Semi, you’re here early!!”

 

“Have you washed your neck?” I took out my knife and played at it.

 

“Semi, calm down…”

 

“You better cut the story short, else…”

 

“Sigh, I know you’ll get agitated, but this time round it’s not going to be a small matter. I have reliable sources saying that your Shijimi’s biological father has engaged the most powerful agent in the underground society to capture her alive. He wants her body to save his other daughter.”

 

“Not… again?!?!”

 

“Semi, it's no joke this time, I know you are capable, but I’m also quite sure that with your own powers, you won't be able to take down the whole company. If you don't leave your Shijimi, you’ll definitely die sooner or later.”

 

“I won't leave her. I won't let her get sacrificed for such a lame reason. Her life has the same value as anyone else, why should her life be taken away to save another?!?!”

 

“Semi, just leave her, I…”

 

“NO WAY!!! EVEN IF IT TAKES MY LIFE, I’LL PROTECT HER TILL THE END!!”

 

“Sigh, I knew you won't give in. Semi, just start to be aware of the surroundings from now on. If you need any help, just give me a call, ok?”

 

“........ Thanks, Iwanishi.”

 

I quickly rushed back to my apartment, I’m starting to get worried for Shijimi.

 

“Shijimi, I’m home.”

 

“...............”

 

Silence again…

 

“Shijimi??”

 

I looked around my apartment, but there were no traces of Shijimi.

 

…….. What is this bad feeling…?

 

“Shijimi!!! Where are you?!?!”

 

I could only hear my own voice in the apartment…

 

I dashed out to look for Shijimi around the neighbourhood, I ran and ran, I shouted for her name again and again, but there were no traces of her!!! Where has she gone to?!?!

 

Wait…

 

Has she… been captured?!?!?!

 

I lost track of how long I’ve been searching for her, I went back home to check if she’s back there. But she was still nowhere to be found!!!

 

!!!!

 

Where has she gone to?!?!?!

 

After countless hours searching for Shijimi, my body was losing its strength, and gradually I felt my body collapsing on the floor.

 

When I woke up, I asked Iwanishi to help as well, but there was still no news of Shijimi for the next few days. It seems like she wasn’t captured by the agent her biological father has engaged as well.

 

That is a good news to me, at least I know she might be just hiding somewhere…

 

Hiding…

 

WAIT.

 

Is she hiding from me…?!?!

 

I recalled how she first ran away from me when she heard my conversation with Iwanishi.

 

……………………….

 

Did she follow me the other day and heard what Iwanishi told me…???

 

…………… WAIT.

 

IWANISHI.

 

IT MUST BE HIS DOINGS!!!!!

 

I dashed straight to Iwanishi’s apartment,

 

“IWANISHI!!!!”

 

“.................... Ugh…. Semi……? Why are you here at such a timing?? I was just having a sweet dream…”

 

“YOU BASTARD!!! WAKE UP!!!”

 

“What happened?? Why are you so agitated again?? Shijimi’s disappearance has nothing to do with me.”

 

“You’ve just exposed yourself isn’t it?!?! Did I mention anything about Shijimi?”

 

“I…!!! I mean!!! Only your Shijimi can make you so angry, right?!?!” Iwanishi is starting to look suspicious.

 

“BASTARD, YOU HAD BETTER TELL ME WHERE YOU’VE HID SHIJIMI, ELSE YOUR HEAD WILL BE DOWN RIGHT NOW.”

 

“Semi… Why can’t you understand my doings???”

 

“...................... WHAT???”

 

“.............. That day your Shijimi did follow you to my apartment and overheard what I’ve told you. She came to confront me after you left, she said she doesn’t want to drag you down. She asked if I can help her to save your life, feeling bad for what I have done to her ten years ago, I decided to help you guys. I’ve hidden her somewhere while I am getting my sources to spread the news that she is already dead so that her biological father will give up looking for her.”

 

“................ You aren’t joking, right?”

 

“Semi, I still want my head intact.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier then?!?!”

 

“Semi, I had to make it look as real as possible, you were too occupied with Shijimi in your head that you didn’t realise you were being followed. I have to make those people believe that even you can’t find your Shijimi.”

 

“................ So Shijimi is fine now…?”

 

“Yeah, very.”

 

“................ Can I, at least, hear her voice…?”

 

“................ Give me a minute.”

 

Iwanishi took out his phone and dialed on it.

 

“Hi Semi’s Shijimi, can you speak to Semi for a while? I think he’s going crazy looking for you, I still want my life.”

 

……………..!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS BASTARD IWANISHI.

 

I snatched over his phone to stop his nonsense,

 

“Shijimi!!! How are you?!?!”

 

“Semi, don’t worry! I’m fine!!”

 

“..................” It’s Shijimi’s voice… It really is her…

 

“Semi…?”

 

I felt my eyes getting warm, my worries for the past few days can finally be put down.

 

“Semi… I’m sorry… For pulling you down to this dangerous life with me.”

 

“Shijimi, remember this, even if this is going to be a dangerous love, I’ll still fall into it. So, just believe me and stay with me, alright?”

 

“............. Semi…… Thank you…” I could feel Shijimi choking on her words.

 

“Don’t cry, after all these are over, I’ll fetch you back, wait for me.”

 

“........ Ok… I’ll wait for you, Semi…”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Sorry for the long hiatus! I was really demotivated from work, thus I wasn’t in the mood to write… I’m praying for a better future to look forward to! By the way, is anyone still reading this? If yes, I would really appreciate some comments! Even a single “Hi” is fine!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------