Chapter 49 - Harsh Truth

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 49 - Harsh Truth

 

Semi’s POV

 

“Semi!! Don’t be so nervous! You need to hold onto Rika’s hands and walk her to her husband!” Shijimi was tapping on my back, trying to calm me down.

 

“Ah!! Ok…!! I… I…!!”

 

“Papa! Calm down, hold my hands now.”

 

“...... Ok…”

 

It was Rika’s wedding ceremony, and I was holding onto her hands, walking her towards her partner who will be taking care of her from now onwards…

 

I felt very lonely but… I have to hand over Rika’s hands to her partner…

 

It was a joyful occasion, Rika looks really pretty in her bridal dress, and Shijimi looks really happy for Rika…

 

But…

 

Why am I tearing…?

 

“Papa!!”

 

Hmm…?

 

………… Rika is calling me?

 

“Papa!! Wake up!!”

 

Wake up…?

 

“Papa!!! Quick!! Mama looks weird!!!”

 

AH!?!?!

 

Shijimi?!?!

 

I quickly opened my eyes, and realized I had a dream of Rika getting married…

 

“Papa!! Take a look at Mama!! She looks very uncomfortable!!!” Rika’s face came into my view right after I opened my eyes.

 

“Shijimi…? Ah!!!”

 

I quickly woke up and took a look at Shijimi, she sure looked weird!!

 

I carried her in my arms, but her body felt cold… she was panting heavily, and her face colour was all gone!!

 

“Shijimi!!! Hang on!!! I’ll bring you to the hospital!!”

 

“Papa! I’ll go with you!”

 

“Ok!!”

 

I quickly rushed to the hospital, while carrying Shijimi, I felt her body losing all its strength, and she wasn’t reacting to me no matter how much I called her.

 

…!!!

 

Dear heaven…

 

Please…

 

Don’t take Shijimi away…!!

 

The moment I reached the hospital, the nurses immediately pushed Shijimi into the emergency ward, leaving Rika and I waiting anxiously outside.

 

My hands were shivering non-stop…

 

I couldn’t feel Shijimi’s body temperature earlier when I was carrying her…

 

My heart is pumping so hard now…

 

*RINGSSSS*

 

UGHH!! My ear!!

 

Why is it ringing now…?!?!

 

Shijimi…!!

 

Help me…!!

 

“Papa!”

 

………………………..

 

“Papa!!! Are you ok??”

 

Ah…… the ringing is getting softer…

 

I opened my eyes from the irritation my ear just gave me, and saw Rika holding onto my shivering hands.

 

“Papa!!”

 

“Rika…”

 

“Papa, calm down… Mama will be fine… She won’t leave us so soon…”

 

………………….

 

It seems like Rika is able to stop the ringing in my ears too… Just like Shijimi...

 

This is another miracle that Shijimi has brought me…

 

………….. Hold on……

 

What did Rika just say…?

 

“Papa, calm down… Mama will be fine… She won’t leave us so soon…”

 

………….. What…?

 

“Rika… Why did you say Mama won’t leave us so soon…?”

 

“........... Papa…… Regarding Mama…… I know about Mama’s condition…”

 

“.........!!! How did you?!?!”

 

“........ The day before my graduation, I wanted to give Mama a surprise visit, so I came to the hospital by myself… And… I overheard Mama’s conversation with the doctor…”

 

“......... What did they talk about…?”

 

“...... The doctor advised Mama not to leave the hospital to attend my graduation ceremony, but Mama insisted, she asked the doctor to help her fulfill one of her last wishes… I…… I was shocked…… Then I realized… Mama had been trying to look healthy in front of me… If she was really fine, she wouldn’t have to stay in the hospital…”

 

“............ Rika…… I’m sorry… we didn’t want to keep it from you…”

 

“I know… Papa…… After that, I confronted Mama, and she told me everything… Including… the fact that she doesn’t have much time left…”

 

“............................”

 

“Papa…… I know you can’t bear Mama to go… I know you want to go with her… But… can you stay for me…? I need you… I want you by my side… I……”

 

Rika started choking on her words, I can’t believe I have made her so insecure, she must be feeling really afraid to be losing her mother already, yet I…… remain such a useless father…

 

“Rika…… Papa is sorry for making you feel this way… Papa will stay strong, I will not go anywhere and will accompany you as long as I live, I promise you. We must stay strong, and accompany Mama for her last journey… ok…?”

 

“Papa…….!!” Rika came hugging onto me, and burst out crying.

 

How long has she suppressed her feelings already…?

 

I feel bad… for neglecting Rika…

 

While I am indulged in the pool of sorrow for going to lose Shijimi, I forgot that Rika would be losing her mother as well.

 

I need to come out from this pool of darkness, because I still have Rika whom I need to protect and love.

 

“Rika… Don’t worry… Papa will be here with you…” I tapped on her head gently, trying to calm her down.

 

*Clicks*

 

Ah, the doctor is out!!

 

“Doctor! How is my wife?”

 

“We managed to save her back, but… Her body is deteriorating very badly… Please… prepare yourselves for the worst…”

 

“............ What……? Doctor… please… save her…”

 

“......... We will try our best to extend her living as much as possible… But… there is no chance she would recover fully… We are deeply sorry…”

 

“......... When can we see her…?”

 

“...... Once she is transferred back to the normal ward, you can visit her.”

 

“Thank you… Doctor…”

 

Rika held my hands tightly while we were listening to the worst we can hear from the doctor.

 

Semi…

 

You are not facing this alone…

 

Remember that Rika is going through this with you too.

 

Hang on...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Harsh truth hits Semi and Rika hard…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------