Chapter 45 - Tough Treatment

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 45 - Tough Treatment

 

Semi’s POV

 

The next day, Shijimi started the treatment to kill the cancerous cells in her body. I heard from the doctor that this treatment would be tough…

 

I visited Shijimi after I ended work that day.

 

“Shijimi, I’m here.”

 

“Ah… Semi…” Shijimi was trying to get up from her bed.

 

“Shijimi, don’t force yourself, just lie down.”

 

“I’m fine…”

 

“How do you feel? Do you feel pain anywhere?”

 

“Hmm… I have slight body aches, but it’s still bearable for now.”

 

“............. I brought you some soup and steamed egg, have some, ok?” I caressed Shijimi gently on her pale-looking cheeks.

 

“Hm!” Shijimi nodded her head and revealed her smile to me.

 

I fed Shijimi the food I brought, and accompanied her till she fell asleep that night.

 

For the next couple of days, I visit Shijimi everyday after I get off work. But… What I saw was Shijimi looking weaker and weaker each day. The treatment was draining a lot of her stamina, she remained bedridden most of the time I visited her, and has lost a lot of weight as well.

 

It is unbearable to look at her…

 

I feel useless for not being able to do anything to help lessen her pain…

 

“Semi…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“How is Rika…?”

 

“Ah…”

 

Shijimi hasn’t seen Rika since the day she started her treatment, and we refrained from bringing Rika to visit Shijimi as we didn’t want to let her worry too much about her mother.

 

“She’s good! She’s been painting in her room the drawing she has drawn at the park that day, and she still refuses to show me. I am getting impatient as well.”

 

“Haha… I can’t wait to see the final product too…”

 

“Yeah… She misses you a lot too, everyday she’ll ask me to update her about your progress.”

 

“Really…? I want to see Rika…”

 

“.......... I’ll bring her here tomorrow then.”

 

Since Shijimi has requested, I guess I should bring Rika here to visit her, maybe she will regain energy after meeting Rika.

 

“Great! I’ll look forward to it!!”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next day, I brought Rika to the hospital to visit Shijimi.

 

“Mama!!!”

 

“Rika!!!”

 

The pair of mother and daughter hugged together once they met each other.

 

“Mama, are you alright? You look very tired…”

 

“Rika, Mama is fine, how about you? Is everything alright?”

 

“Yes!! Recently I started learning cooking from Auntie Maki as well. I have brought you food that I cooked today too!!”

 

“Oh!! Really??? Rika is so capable!”

 

I smiled while looking at them, Rika is such a sensible child, I am really thankful for that.

 

Rika fed Shijimi with the food she had made, after that Maki and Keito brought Sho to visit Shijimi as well.

 

After their visit, I had Keito and Maki to help me bring Rika back home while I stayed behind to accompany Shijimi.

 

“Shijimi, I think Rika looks really happy seeing you just now.”

 

“......................”

 

“......... Shijimi……?” I saw Shijimi raising her hands to cover …

 

“......... UGHH…!!!!” Shijimi started puking.

 

“Shijimi!!!” I quickly went up to hold her body and tapped gently on her back, “are you alright???”

 

But Shijimi looked very uncomfortable and continued puking out all the food she had just consumed.

 

She finally calmed down after puking everything.

 

“Shijimi…” I looked at her face which had turned even more pale than earlier.

 

“Sorry… Semi… I dirtied you…”

 

“What are you talking about? That’s not important! Are you feeling alright??”

 

“Yeah…… Actually…… The medicine has been making me feel nauseous, and I couldn’t really consume food properly…”

 

“....... And you forced yourself to eat what Rika made for you just now?”

 

“.............. Hm…” Shijimi nodded her head gently.

 

“................. Silly girl, don’t force yourself, ok? I’ll get the nurses to clean up the bed…”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After going home that day, I found that Rika was still awake.

 

“Rika, aren’t you sleeping yet?”

 

“Papa, I was waiting for you to come back.”

 

“Oh, you have something for me?”

 

“Hmm… Yes…”

 

“Did anything happen?” I sat beside Rika as I sensed she was feeling quite down.

 

“Is Mama treatment going well?”

 

“.......!! Why do you ask?”

 

“Because… Mama looked so weak just now… I am worried for her…”

 

………………………………..

 

Probably because I have been seeing Rika growing up day by day, that I already forgot she has grown to the age where she is able to judge things with her eyes. She could see that her mother was not looking well despite us telling her otherwise.

 

“Rika… Mama is trying her best to fight against the disease now, we need to stay strong to support her, right?”

 

“......... Yes…… I’ve decided!! I will start folding origami cranes to pray for Mama’s recovery!!”

 

“Oh!! Papa will join in too!!”

 

“Ok!!”

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Since that day, we started folding origami cranes to pray for Shijimi’s recovery and hang them in Shijimi’s ward.

 

But…

 

Shijimi’s condition was constantly alternating between good and bad. At times when she is feeling better she could sit up and chat with us, but when it gets bad, she could only lie in her bed, and often she would frown in her sleep.

 

I am not sure if it is purely my delusion, I am finding Shijimi being in her sleep more and more.

 

Is it due to the medicine…?

 

Even after months of treatment, the doctor told me that there isn’t much improvement in Shijimi’s body...

 

“Semi……”

 

“Yes? Shijimi?” I stood up and placed my face above Shijimi so that she could see me well.

 

“...... Sorry…”

 

“Why are you apologizing?”

 

“...... Because… it must be tough on you… Having to come to the hospital everyday despite you having to work and taking care of Rika.”

 

“.................... Silly girl, did you forget that I am a strong man? This is nothing to me. You are going through much more difficult times now.”

 

It sure is…

 

I wonder how much pain Shijimi is feeling from her body now… If only, I could bear the pain for her…

 

“Semi… I hope… I could at least see Rika graduate from elementary school…”

 

“....................................... Shijimi…… I’m not allowing you to be so pessimistic, you will go through these, ok?”

 

“................... Semi…… I……”

 

“...... Don’t think so much… Close and yours and rest, I’ll stay overnight today, I have no work tomorrow.”

 

“................ Ok……”

 

After watching Shijimi getting into her sleep, I went to lie on the sofa to sleep as well…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: The painful life begins for this family, would Shijimi be able to go through this? What would happen to Semi and Rika…?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------