Chapter 17 - The Hard Truth

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

“............ Because it’s time you get to know the truth…”

 

“The reason why you become Semi…”

 

“I’ve been waiting for this day to come, Ryosuke…”

 

Who exactly is Nakai…? Why does he know of me as Semi…?

 

“Nakai-san, what do you mean…?”

 

“HAHAHA!!! Look at your expression!!! It is more entertaining that I thought!!! I wish your parents gets to see such a face of yours now!!”

 

“................. What...…?” I frowned upon looking at such a frightening Nakai-san whom I have never seen before. In my impression all these while, he was always a nice and gentle man who was on good terms with my family and myself.

 

“I’m the one who caused you to become who you are today, Ryosuke, oh I mean, Semi. HAHAHAHA!”

 

“................. WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!?!”

 

“I threatened your parents to send you away, to the guy who trained you to be a killer. I wanted your parents to die under the hands of their own son. And I want their son to lead a miserable life. This is my revenge on them.”

 

“............... What revenge do you mean……!?”

 

“HAHAHA!!! Your parents are not as saint as you have thought they were, Ryosuke. Thirty years ago they had a business failure and pleaded me to be the scapegoat because your mother was sick and your father wanted to take care of her. I pitied your parents so I agreed and went into the jail for eight years. When I came out of jail, I realized my wife and kids have abandoned me, yet your family was having such a happy time!!! Isn’t that ironical?!?!”

 

“.......................................” I couldn’t believe what I am hearing now…

 

“SInce then I’ve decided to take revenge. I took ten years to build good relationships with your family, and your parents trusted me a lot. It was when I had used all my savings to engage a man to train you to become a killer, so that you’ll kill your own parents one day. I wanted them to suffer the most they can, as parents. Getting killed by their beloved son, seeing that their beloved son has grown into a cold-blooded killer.”

 

“............... What the…….. WHY DO YOU HAVE TO DO THIS?!?!”

 

“HAHAHA!!! I LOVE YOUR EXPRESSION!!!! And, I’ve been waiting for one day to reveal this truth to you, if you are suffering, I believe your parents would suffer even more!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!”

 

CRAZY…

 

THIS MAN IS CRAZY!!!!

 

“Semi……” Shijimi was holding onto my hands tightly while being with me listening to such craps.

 

“..................... Shijimi…… Close your eyes if you are scared…”

 

I want to kill this man, I want to kill this man who took away my everything for his own revenge.

 

“By the way, I was at the scene where you killed your parents, I was enjoying the show of a filial son killing his very own parents. HAHAHAHA!!! And that was why your parents didn’t reveal the truth to you before they died!!! I was leaving the best show for myself, and the moment is now!!!”

 

“............... YOU BASTARD, YOU ARE CRAZY!!!”

 

My hands went into my pocket, trying to retrieve my knife. I need to kill this mad man, with my own hands. Shaking the blade out from my knife, and while running towards this bastard, it was when he took off his coat.

 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

What was inside his coat was……. A body being wrapped around with wires…….

 

And a device looking like...

 

A BOMB!?!?!

 

“HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO KILL ME, I’M NOT GOING TO LET THINGS GO SO SMOOTHLY FOR YOU!!!! I WANT YOU TO DIE WITH ME!!!! AND HAHAHAHAHA!!! IT’S SUCH A NICE TIMING YOUR GIRLFRIEND IS HERE TOO!!! SHE IS GOING TO DIE WITH US!!! HOW DOES IT FEEL LIKE?!?! NOT BEING ABLE TO SAVE THE ONE YOU LOVE?!?!?!”

 

!!! THIS GUY IS SERIOUSLY MAD!!!!

 

Shijimi……. I need to get Shijimi to run away……

 

“Shijimi!! RUN NOW!!! AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!”

 

“Semi!! No!!! I won’t!!!”

 

“Shijimi!!!”

 

“Semi!!! It’s my fault… I’m the one who asked you to bring me here… So… I’ll stay with you till the end…”

 

“........... Shijimi…… It’s not your fault…….”

 

I took a closer look at Nakai, the bomb isn’t triggered yet, maybe if I can manage to kill him before he triggers the bomb, we can be saved.

 

I need to do this fast… and I only have one chance...

 

I threw my knife towards Nakai’s throat, and it distracted him, I quickly dashed towards him, with my other hand going into my pocket taking another knife, when I was close enough to him, I cut him in the throat, and blood started splashing out. He soon fell onto the floor after my attack.

 

I managed to kill him before the bomb is triggered. I let go a sigh of relief…

 

*TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK*

 

!!!!!!!! This sound!!!!!!!

 

I looked at the dead body, the clock is ticking!!!! !!! WHY?!?!?!

 

And it’s counting down…..

 

TEN SECONDS!!!!!

 

WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO RUN!!!

 

SHIJIMI!!!! I NEED TO PROTECT HER!!!

 

“Shijimi!!!”

 

I ran back to Shijimi’s side, hugging her tightly, wrapping her head in my chest. If we were to be bombed to death, I want to at least protect Shijimi till the last.

 

*TICK TICK TICK*

 

!!! This is how I will end my life… After meeting someone whom I love, and that someone also loves me for who I am…… I wanted to… be together with Shijimi longer…

 

*TICK TICK…*

 

IT’S GOING TO BLOW UP!!!

 

*BEEEEEEEEEPPPPPP*

 

“Shijimi, I love you…”

 

I spoke into Shijimi’s ears, making sure she can hear it clearly…

 

………………

 

“Semi……”

 

“Hmm……?”

 

“It seems…… we are fine……”

 

“.........”

 

I turned to look at Nakai, it seems the bomb did not get triggered. Either the bomb was faulty or it wasn't a real bomb to begin with.

 

“Semi, let’s get out of here quickly!”

 

“Ah…. Alright!!” I couldn't care about the blood all over me already, we needed to get out of this place right now.

 

We held our hands tightly and ran to the alley where there are water taps so that I could wash myself up.

 

While I was drying my shirt, I sensed something wrapping my body. I realized Shijimi took off her jacket and putting it on me.

 

“Shijimi, it’s cold, wear your jacket back.”

 

“No, Semi… I’m fine… I’m…...” Shijimi choked at her words.

 

“...... What happened...…? Are you not feeling well??” Shijimi looks sad, I turned to look at her face which was looking at the ground.

 

“I’m… sorry…”

 

“...... For what just happened…?”

 

“um…… I’m not sure… If it was a good idea asking you to come back here…”

 

“Shijimi… Although the truth did hit me hard, but I’m glad to know it… That my parents did not abandon me because they hated me…”

 

“........ Semi…...”

 

“Shijimi… You may have realized, my real name is Ryosuke… Yamada Ryosuke…”

 

I realized I have almost forgotten about my real name… After living as Semi for so many years… I’m not sure… If I can return back to being Ryosuke…

 

“......... Semi, I prefer to call you by Semi… Because the one who had saved me countless times is Semi, because the one who treats me nicer than everyone else is Semi, and… because the one I fell in love with is… also Semi…”

 

“....... Shijimi...…”

 

“I know that Semi isn’t someone that you had wanted to become… But it was because you became Semi, that I could get to meet you, and fall in love with you… So… can I… continue to call you Semi…?”

 

I was relieved at what Shijimi just said… It was the first time… Someone acknowledged me in becoming Semi…

 

“Sure… Silly Shijimi…”

 

I embraced this silly girl tightly… This girl has accepted me for who I am now… I am feeling so blessed...

 

“Shijimi… can we go somewhere before going back to the hotel…?

 

“You want to go back to your old house right…?”

 

“!!!! How did….”

 

“Because I’m sure you wanted to go back and apologize to your parents…”

 

“......... Yeah…… If only I get to know the fact earlier… If I had knew it…”

 

“Semi… it’s not your fault too…” Shijimi caressed my face gently, looking deeply into my eyes...

 

“Semi… I love you…”

 

…………

 

Upon hearing this, I moved forward slowly, landing a gentle yet deep kiss on Shijimi’s lips…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Sorry for the late update again! This chapter is really thrilling after coming back to proofread before posting! I love how Shijimi embraced Ryosuke in him becoming a cold-blooded killer, Semi. I love how Semi wanted to protect Shijimi at the most dangerous situation. Their love for each other, is something strong and passionate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------