Chapter 3 - Refreshed Shijimi

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

I brought Shijimi out to buy some clothes for her, and I realized she was looking at the surroundings a lot.

 

Probably because it has been ten years since she’s out of that apartment, I believe the world has changed a lot in her eyes.

 

At first she was feeling quite insecure, but after a while, her eyes started to shine, she was enjoying her freedom. I find myself feeling delighted seeing her happy face.

 

I brought her into the shopping mall for her to choose some clothes for herself. She was trying out the clothes and showing them to me, and asking me to decide for her.

 

“Mister, your girlfriend is very cute!” The salesperson came up and talked to me.

 

“Ah… I’m not…”

 

“Would you like to buy this hair accessory for her? I believe it’ll look good on her.” The salesperson cut off my sentence before I was able to complete it.

 

I wanted to clarify that I’m not his boyfriend… And.. do we look like couple now…?

 

I took a look at the hair accessory the salesperson showed me, it was a hairpin made of shell. It reminds me of clam… This would suit this Shijimi girl… I thought…

 

“I’ll take it.”

 

“Thank you Mister! You are a really nice boyfriend!”

 

I didn’t try to deny it this time, and I could feel my face getting hot.

 

“Semi!! How’s this??” Shijimi came out of the dressing room and called me to look at her.

 

………….

 

This……..

 

Cute……..

 

She looks cute………

 

She was wearing a lacy top with a three-quarter pants which brings out the natural cuteness in her.

 

“Semi…?”

 

“AH!!!” Shijimi’s face came up really close to mine that I got a shock.

 

“Semi? Are you alright? You were dazing off…”

 

“Ah… I’m fine… I was…”

 

I was too engrossed in looking at Shijimi…

 

“You were…?”

 

“Er… Nothing!! You look good in this! If you’re done I’ll go settle the bill!” I stood up and went towards the cashier.

 

My heart was pumping… Why am I feeling so panicked…?

 

After buying some clothes, we walked past one salon, Shijimi paused just outside the store.

 

“Shijimi, you want a haircut?”

 

“... Can I…? I’m sick and tired of this long hair… That erted bastard used to sniff a lot from my hairs. I want to cut them off…”

 

“............... Let’s go…” I held her hands and pulled her into the salon.

 

I was sitting at the resting corner while waiting for her.

 

As I was reading the magazine, I sensed someone coming near me.

 

“SEMI! I’m done!!!”

 

“AH!!!!” Shijimi came up really near my face again.

 

I moved slightly away, and saw a Shijimi with short hair, she looks really refreshed now with more than half of her hairs chopped off. Her face looks smaller too, contrasting further her big eyes.

 

……….

 

Cute…….

 

She looks really cute……

 

“Semi, is my fringe too long? I feel it’s covering my eyes…”

 

“It’s perfectly fine, oh yes, use this then.” I remembered that I bought her a hair clip, I passed it to Shijimi.

 

“What’s this…?” Shijimi opened the small paper bag containing the hairpin.

 

“WOW! This is so cute!! Thank you Semi!!” Shijimi was smiling widely at me.

 

She looks really happy…

 

She was trying to clip the hairpin on her hair but it kept dropping off.

 

“Let me do it.” I took the hairpin from her and clipped it firmly on her hair.

 

“How?? Does it suit me??”

 

Shijimi is behaving like a kid now.

 

“Yeah, it’s cute…” I find myself appreciating this Shijimi’s pure and cuteness.

 

After that, I asked Shijimi to buy some undergarments for herself as I wait outside the store for her.

 

“Semi!”

 

Hmm… this voice…

 

IWANISHI?!?!?!

 

! Why is he here?!?!

 

I have to pretend I am alone here…

 

“Ah, Iwanishi, you’re here for shopping too?”

 

“That’s my line, why are you here? I thought you don’t like to shop?”

 

“I… I needed some new clothes…”

 

“Hmm… You need some new clothes or your GIRLFRIEND needs some new clothes?”

 

“WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!”

 

Iwanishi came closer and wrapped his arms on my shoulders,

 

“Semi, it’s either you’re buying these clothes for your girlfriend, or you have some for crossdressing…” Iwanishi held up my hands which was holding onto the paper bags that contained Shijimi’s new clothes.

 

!!!

 

Those paper bags have the brand name on it!!!

 

“Shut up, Iwanishi, it’s my freedom to buy whatever I want isn’t it?”

 

“Hehe~ Semi, don’t be so shy, show me your girlfriend… I thought a cold-blooded killer like you will not ever fall for someone… Looks like I’m wrong…”

 

“I’m leaving.”

 

“Getting shy huh? I shall let you off for now, and don’t forget to come over to my place tomorrow to get your earnings from yesterday’s job.”

 

“Got it.”

 

“See ya!”

 

Phew, finally Iwanishi is gone, I’m glad he didn’t see me with Shijimi…

 

“Semi! I’m done! Who was that?”

 

“AH!”

 

I turned over and saw Shijimi.

 

Phew, I feel like I’m getting paranoid now whenever my name is being called.

 

“Oh, he’s the agent who I get jobs from.”

 

“Oh I see… Semi, I’m hungry again…”

 

“.............. Let’s have some food before going home then.”

 

This Shijimi…

 

To be honest, how long has it been… Since I have had such a “normal” life? I had almost forgotten the feelings of leading a “normal” life...

 

This Shijimi is totally making me forget about my occupation as a killer, and also the loneliness and sadness that I have been feeling all these while.

 

I don’t understand.

 

Why is she able to make me feel like this…

 

But for the time being…

 

Can I just enjoy the time I’m having now?

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: A light chapter bringing Semi and Shijimi closer together, seems like Semi is falling into something called “love”...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------