Chapter 46 - Worsening Condition

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 46 - Worsening Condition

 

Semi’s POV

 

*Coughs* *Coughs*

 

Hmm…? Who is coughing?

 

*COUGHS* *COUGHS*

 

I was awakened by a bad coughing…

 

“Shijimi……?”

 

I turned to look at Shijimi and saw that she was coughing really badly. I quickly stood up to turn on the lights and went up to her.

 

“Shijimi!! Are you ok??” I patted gently on Shijimi’s back but her coughing does not seem to ease!

 

*COUGHS!!*

 

The coughing got more and more violent…

 

“Shijimi!!!”

 

AH!!!

 

Blood……!!!

 

“Shijimi!! Hang on!! I’ll press the bell to call for the doctor!!”

 

Shijimi’s coughing went on and on, with a lot of blood being puked out…

 

What is happening…?!?!

 

Did Shijimi’s condition get worse??

 

Shijimi finally calmed down after the doctor gave her some injections.

 

“Doctor, how is she? Why is she puking blood suddenly?”

 

“Mister, based on my initial observation, there might be a possibility that her lungs have been infected by the cancerous cells. We will conduct a detailed check to confirm this.”

 

“...... But she has been undergoing so many tough treatments! Are they of no use?!?!”

 

“...... Unfortunately, the treatment doesn't seem to be working well. I think we have to increase the dosage…”

 

“...... Increase the dosage…? Would that cause more pain for her…?”

 

“...... Yes… She may feel intense body aching, feel very nauseous and not be able to eat, and…”

 

“...... and…?” I have a bad feeling…

 

“...... she might be losing her consciousness at times and even be seeing illusions.”

 

“........ What…?!?!”

 

………………… No…… why?!?!

 

Shijimi…….

 

I went back to the room, and saw Shijimi still frowning in her sleep… She must be really uncomfortable..

 

Crap…!!! Why am I so useless?!?!

 

I held Shijimi’s cold hands which had gotten even slimmer than before…

 

“Please… Shijimi… Don't leave me…”

 

I felt my tears flowing down my cheeks…

 

I rested my head on Shijimi’s bed and slept beside her that night…

 

------------------------------------------

 

I told Keito and Maki about Shijimi’s worsening condition but kept it from Rika. Rika is graduating soon, we did not want to spoil her mood…

 

After the increased dosage for Shijimi’s treatments, we could see her sufferings even more obvious than before. At times she felt so uncomfortable that she wasn't able to sleep at all, she couldn't eat anything, she felt constant nauseousness even when she did not eat anything, she couldn't maintain her consciousness most of the time…

 

Recently, her lungs have worsened so bad that she has started to rely on the oxygen mask for proper breathing...

 

It hurts me so much to see her in such a state…

 

“Papa!!”

 

“Ah, Rika? You are still awake?”

 

“Papa, how is Mama?”

 

……….. It has been quite a long time since we brought Rika to see Shijimi…

 

“Um, Mama is recovering well.” Sorry Rika, Papa lied to you about Mama’s condition…

 

“Then can I visit her tomorrow?!?! I want to pass her this!!” Rika held a piece of card in her hands.

 

“What is this…? Ah…! The invitation card for your graduation?”

 

“Yes!!! It’s next week!! I want to pass it to Mama personally!!”

 

“Ah……”

 

What should I do…? Should I bring Rika over…? If I do, Rika would find out that I am lying about her mother once she sees her. But if I don't, Rika would question me…

 

“Papa!! I don't care, I want to see Mama tomorrow!” Rika is quite persistent this time.

 

“...... Ok, I’ll bring you there tomorrow.”

 

“Yay!!!”

 

-----------------------------------------

 

I told Shijimi about this the next day when I reached her ward, she didn't reject…

 

“Semi… do I look pale now…?”

 

“.........”

 

“Tell me the truth…”

 

“...... Um…” I nodded my head gently.

 

“...... Can you… ask Maki to help put on some make-up for me before meeting Rika?”

 

“Shijimi…”

 

“Please…”

 

“Ok…”

 

I went back home to accompany Rika for the moment to give Maki some time to make-up for Shijimi in the hospital.

 

I guess Shijimi didn’t want to worry Rika too…

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I brought Rika to the hospital after Maki was done.

 

“Mama!!!”

 

Rika rushed up to Shijimi once she entered the room.

 

I turned to look at Shijimi...

 

Ah……….!!

 

She… looks really pretty after the make-up…

 

And most importantly…

 

She looks healthy…

 

But I know deep inside my heart…

 

Shijimi is forcing herself to put on a strong side in front of Rka…

 

She took off her oxygen mask and sat on the bed, smiling widely at Rika, chatting with her and hugging her.

 

If only…… Shijimi is really as healthy as she looks now…

 

“Mama! Next week is my graduation ceremony, you must come, ok? This is the invitation card!!”

 

“Oh yes!! Mama will definitely go! Mama has recovered quite well too, and I want to accompany Rika on this important day too!”

 

………………………. Shijimi agreed to go…?

 

How is she going to leave the hospital in such condition…?

 

“Mama and Papa, both of you must come! Ok? Rika has a big surprise for you two on that day!”

 

“Big surprise? Papa will look forward to it!” I smiled, this peacefulness was enough for me…

 

Except, the longer I look at Shijimi, I find her getting more and more pale, she must be feeling really uncomfortable now… I need to get Maki to bring Rika back home first… Else, Shijimi’s body might not be able to hang on longer.

 

“Ok, Rika, let Mama rest, and you go home with auntie Maki, ok?

 

“Ah… so fast…?”

 

“Rika, you want Mama to recover and go home soon, right? Then we should let her rest.” Maki helped us to persuade Maki as well.

 

“Ok…… Mama, take care…” Rika gave Shijimi a tight hug before leaving the ward with a sad face.

 

I bidded goodbye to them at the door, after closing the door, I turned back to look at Shijimi.

 

…………………!!!

 

Shijimi had her hands pressing on her chest area, and was panting heavily!

 

“Shijimi!!”

 

I managed to catch hold of Shijimi in my arms when she eventually lost her strength while in the sitting position. I quickly put her back to lying on the bed.

 

*PANTS*

 

“Shijimi, are you alright? I’ll call for the doctor now.”

 

“Se… mi… I’m… fine…” Shijimi held my hands, stopping me from calling the doctor.

 

“But! You look really pale now!”

 

Shijimi gave me a smile, “I’ll be fine… because I need to recover and attend Rika’s graduation, right? Don’t worry.”

 

“................ Shijimi……” I couldn’t control my emotions, I was feeling so much heart pain for this fragile girl, I placed my hands on her cheeks and caressed them gently and held her hands tightly till she fell asleep.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: It seems that things are not going to go well for Shijimi and Semi. Will Shijimi live on? Will there be miracles?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------