Chapter 37 - Are you really… Semi…?

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

Keito brought me to the hospital where Shijimi is in, I felt my footsteps getting heavier as I walked nearer to the room.

 

“...... She’s inside… Go in and see her…” Keito stopped right in front of the door leading to the room where Shijimi is in.

 

I held my breath, slowly placing my hands on the knob, turning it slowly, and opening the door gradually.

 

Walking into the room and seeing a bed, I walked closer towards it, trying to take a clearer look…

 

……………!!!!!!!

 

Is she… Shijimi……?!?!

 

What came into sight was a really fragile, pale and skinny Shijimi lying on the bed, her cheeks had sunken deeply, she had really dark circles around her eyes, her lips has lost its colour. This is the first time I am seeing her in such a state… Her health has deteriorated so badly...!

 

“......... Shijimi…..”

 

“......... Ugh……” Shijimi was trying hard to open her eyes, she couldn’t even open her eyes fully…

 

“Shijimi……”

 

“...... Ah…… Semi……???” Shijimi saw me, and began breathing harder, she tried to raise her hands to reach for my face…

 

Upon seeing that, my hands moved towards Shijimi, almost grabbing her hands…

 

But Shijimi put down her hands just before I could hold it...

 

“Ah…… sorry…… You are Keito right…? Sorry, Keito… I must have mistaken you for Semi again… Semi is not here… Semi is not coming to see me…… I must be dreaming again...”

 

……………!!!!!

 

Just like what Keito had said, Shijimi’s mental health is so bad that she couldn’t differentiate properly between reality and her illusions…

 

Crap… My heart… is aching so much…….

 

What have I done to the person I loved the most…?!?!

 

“...... Shijimi…… You’re not dreaming… I’m Semi… I really am Semi…!!”

 

“............ Keito…… Thank you for your kindness…… But you don’t have to lie to me…… Semi won’t come… Semi won’t come back to me anymore……” Shijimi turned her face away from me, I could see her eyes getting wet...

 

………………..!!!!

 

Shijimi…… What should I do to make her realize I really am Semi?!?!

 

AH!!! I KNOW!!!

 

I held up Shijimi’s hands, and placed it on my left ear,

 

“Shijimi!! I’m Semi!!! Do you remember this touch?!?! I am Semi!!!”

 

Shortly after I placed Shijimi’s hands on my left ear, I could feel her hands starting to caress my left ear, like how she always used to do to me…

 

“......... Semi…… Are you really… Semi…?” Shijimi recognised me finally after touching my ear…

 

“Shijimi! Yes!! I am Semi!! Can you see me??” I moved my face closer to Shijimi so that she can take a better look at me.

 

“......... Semi…… Semi…...!!!” Shijimi started to choke on her words, her eyes were getting wet, and eventually tears started flowing down her eyes…

 

“....... Shijimi… don’t cry… I’m sorry for being so late… I’m back… I’m back for you… I won’t leave you anymore… So can you don’t cry…?”

 

I know Shijimi heard my words, but it seems like she couldn’t control her tears, she was crying hard, she probably had suppressed her emotions for a long time as well. My hands went up to wipe her tears away, caressing her cheeks…

 

Suddenly, I could feel Shijimi’s hands holding onto my shoulders, yet she didn’t have much strength, the next moment, I see Shijimi trying to get up from her lying position,

 

“Ah…!! Shi……” Shijimi wrapped me in her arms, despite feeling so weak, she used her remaining strength to give me warmth…

 

“Semi…… I’m here too… I’m here for you too…”

 

………………!!!!!

 

Without any blaming, or asking why I was gone for so long, her comforting words went so smoothly into my ears, her understandings warmed my heart...

 

I felt my eyes becoming warm, eventually tears started flowing down my cheeks…

 

Just like Shijimi, I couldn’t control my emotions anymore, I was crying hard with her, we hugged tightly, warming each other up…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After both of us settled down from our emotions, I slowly placed Shijimi back onto the bed.

 

“Shijimi… How are you feeling?”

 

“...... I’m fine…… Now that you are back… I want to recover fully… Because I want to be with you… Semi…”

 

“................. Shijimi…” I was holding onto Shijimi’s hands tightly, “Shijimi… I’m sorry… I’m sorry for leaving you five years ago… I…”

 

I wanted to explain to Shijimi the real reason why I left her.

 

“Semi… it’s alright, you don’t have to explain… I knew you must have your own reasons… I don’t need to know…What's more important is, you are back for me… Right…?”

 

“Shijimi… why are you so silly as usual…”

 

“...... Because I love you… I have never stopped loving you...”

 

“..............” I moved my face closer to Shijimi, “Shijimi, it’s the same for me, I have never stopped missing you for the past five years… I love you… I love you…”

 

My lips reached for Shijimi, giving her a gentle kiss, a sign that proves my love for her…

 

*Clicks*

 

“Mama!!! I met Papa!!!”

 

While we are kissing, we heard the opening of the door and someone’s voice was heard in the room suddenly, I moved away from Shijimi, and turned my head towards the door…

 

“Ah!! Rika?!?!” I let out a shocked reaction.

 

Rika was standing just beside the bed, looking at us.

 

“Papa…? Papa!!!” Rika came running towards me, and jumped onto me.

 

She came hugging me tightly, and naturally I returned her hug...

 

This warmth… It is the same as what Shijimi always give me…

 

“Rika… You said you met Papa already…?” It was Shijimi’s voice.

 

“Yeah Mama!!! Papa was standing outside our house just now!! And I spotted him!!!”

 

……………. That’s right…… Rika was the one who brought me back to Shijimi’s side…… I recalled how I had mistaken Rika being the child of Shijimi and Keito, and wanted to just turn my head away from them...

 

If Rika didn’t call me… I probably would have missed the chance to reconcile with Shijimi…

 

“Rika… you can recognise Papa…?”

 

“Yes!! Because Mama always draw Papa’s portrait for me!! I can remember Papa’s face clearly!!”

 

…………… I am feeling so touched… Both the mother and daughter are making me feeling so fortunate…

 

“Mama!! You must recover faster!! Then the three of us can go to the theme park together!! I want to see Papa’s scaredy face for haunted house and rollercoaster!!”

 

“Ah……. Shijimi… what did you tell Rika about me…?”

 

“Hehe… about your cute face when you are feeling afraid… ne, Rika?”

 

“Yeah!! Papa!!! You won't leave us anymore, right?”

 

………….. While hugging Rika with one of my hands, my other hand was holding Shijimi’s hands tightly, “Yeah… I won't leave you two anymore… I’ll be here from now…”

 

“Yeah!! Papa is back!!!’ Rika hugged me tighter, and I could finally spot Shijimi’s smiles on her face, the smile… that I missed so much…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: The long waited reconciliation~! Will miracle appear?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------