Chapter 32 - A Simple Yet Tough Wish

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

The next day, I was planning to find Iwanishi to discuss about my decision to quit being a killer.

 

“Shijimi, I’m going out then.”

 

“Semi! Wait for me! I’m going too!”

 

“Huh? You are going too?”

 

“Yeah… I would like to send my gratitude to Iwanishi too. Afterall he has helped us a lot recently, and he’s your important friend, right?”

 

“...... Ok, let’s go.” I stretched out my hands, waiting for Shijimi to hold onto them.

 

“Yeah!” Shijimi smiled and held my hands tightly. I am always amazed at how her tiny hands can emit so much warm.

 

At Iwanishi’s Apartment

 

“Wow! What brings you two here?”

 

“I have some important issues to discuss with you.”

 

“Hmm? It seems serious I guess. Take a seat first.”

 

“Yeah, I want to quit, I want to get out of this dark business.”

 

“...............” Iwanishi stayed silent for a few minutes.

 

“Iwanishi, did you hear me? I said I want to…”

 

“Yeah I heard it loud and clear.”

 

“....... Then…”

 

“No way! If you quit, what's going to happen to all the enquiries I have on hand?”

 

“Iwa…”

 

“You thought I would say that, right?”

 

“......!!!!! You mean…”

 

“Semi, out of so many killers I’ve engaged, you're the only one I have such a special relationship with, oh, Semi’s Shijimi, don't get me wrong, I’m just saying Semi is the only bastard I maintain such close relationship with.”

 

“Haha Iwanishi, I understand.” Shijimi understood Iwanishi’s lame joke.

 

“....... Semi, I feel glad for you, after so many years, you’ve finally found your meaning of living, right?”

 

“Yeah… Iwanishi, thank you so much, but I’m not sorry for being a bastard all these while, and I’ll continue to be a bastard for you.”

 

“Haha!! That's great to hear. I’m looking forward to it.”

 

“Iwanishi, thank you so much… This is my little gratitude to you…” Shijimi handed over a box to Iwanishi.

 

“Huh? You're too welcome. What's this…?”

 

I was curious as well and so I went near Iwanishi to look at what Shijimi gave him.

 

“Ah… A cake??”

 

“Yeah… I made it this morning… I hope you’ll like it…”

 

“Well, Semi’s Shijimi, you know I can only have one answer, else I’m not sure what this bastard would do to me.”

 

“You’re being very sarcastic today huh, Iwanishi.”

 

“Of course, I must take my last chance to make fun of you.”

 

“What are you talking about? We’ll still meet each other.”

 

“Haha I’m happy for what you have just said. Anyway, Semi, drink with me today, it’s an occasion to be celebrated.”

 

“No problem.”

 

“I’ll go get the beer… Ah, ! I forgot I have finished the beer last night.”

 

“I’ll go buy some back then.”

 

“Thanks, Semi.”

 

I smiled at Iwanishi and went out to buy some beer back.

 

After settling the bills for the beer and food, I left the convenience store.

 

*RINGS*

 

My phone rang, I took a look, it’s from Iwanishi.

 

“Yo, anything else you want me to buy?”

 

“SEMI!!! SHIJIMI!!! SHE’S…!!!" Iwanishi sounded very panic.

 

“Huh??? What happened to her??” My heart started pumping very fast again.

 

“SHE’S BEING CAPTURED!!!”

 

“WHAT?!?! WHAT HAPPENED???”

 

“After you left, a few guys broke into my apartment and took her away, they grabbed her into one van, but I’m now following them in a cab, you can follow my GPS and come quickly!!!”

 

“Alright!! I’ll be there right away!!!”

 

I threw my shopping loots on the floor and quickly hopped onto a cab and get him to follow where Iwanishi is at.

 

Crap… My bad feeling earlier wasn't wrong… The mastermind who is seeking revenge on me is still…

 

Alive…

 

While on the cab following Iwanishi’s GPS, I contacted Maki for help as well. Iwanishi’s GPS stopped moving when I was almost reaching him. I guess he has arrived where the guys have brought Shijimi to.

 

I alighted near where the GPS stopped, and walked towards it, it was a lowdown building, I looked around, and there was another building opposite of where I was at. I took a picture of it and sent to Maki, so that she can standby at the building opposite to assist me in case anything happens.

 

Entering the building quietly, I sensed somebody behind me and I quickly turned around to grab the person and covered his mouth with my hands,

 

“Umm!!! Umm!!!!”

 

Hmm…? This voice…

 

In the dark building, I took a closer look at the person in my arms…

 

AH!!! It was Iwanishi.

 

“Semi!!! I almost suffocated!” Iwanishi spoke softly after I let go of him.

 

“.......... You should feel lucky, because I actually wanted to cut you in the neck.”

 

“............... You bastard...”

 

“Is Shijimi inside?”

 

“Yeah, I was waiting for you to arrive.”

 

“Thanks Iwanishi, wait here, I’ll go in by myself.”

 

Right before I was about to go in, I had a call from Maki, saying that she has sneaked into the building opposite and through her binoculars, she saw the guys and Shijimi in the room I was about to go in. I asked her to only action after I go in.

 

After ending the call, I dashed into the room, and the guys started coming towards me, I used my knife and attack them one by one, Maki helped to shoot down a couple of them as well. With the help of Maki, we managed to finish killing all of them within minutes.

 

“Shijimi!!” I went up to free Shijimi as she was tied up by them with ropes.

 

“Semi…”

 

“Shijimi, are you alright??”

 

“Yes… I’m fine…”

 

“Wait here…”

 

I looked around the room to find for anything suspicious, as I find it weird… Everything seems too easy…

 

“Careful!!!”

 

Someone shouted…

 

Iwanishi?!?!?!

 

*BANGS*

 

I turned back to take a look, and saw Iwanishi kneeling just in front of Shijimi…

 

I looked at the direction behind Iwanishi, one guy was still alive!!!

 

And…

 

He was holding a gun in his hands while lying on the floor.

 

!! He shot Iwanishi?!?!

 

I quickly dashed up to finish the guy off, and went back to Iwanishi’s side.

 

By then Iwanishi was lying on the floor motionless, and the floor was stained with his blood…

 

“Iwanishi!!!” I held him up, “hang on!! I’ll save you!!”

 

“Semi… There’s not enough time… I can… only do so much… for you and your Shijimi…”

 

“Iwanishi… no…” Shijimi was looking really terrified.

 

“Iwanishi, you can’t die yet, I’m not allowing you to!!”

 

“Haha! Till the very last moment you’re such a bastard… You can’t decide my life you know?? Lead… a happy life… with your Shijimi… ok…? Bastard friend...”

 

“........ Iwa……”

 

Iwanishi’s hands fell on the floor, and he closed his eyes gradually…

 

“Iwanishi… no… IWANISHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I felt Iwanishi’s weight getting heavier, I tested for his pulse, and… there was none...

 

“Argh…….. Ughhh…….” Shijimi started tearing, she seemed very frightened...

 

!!!

 

I put Iwanishi gently down on the floor, and went up close to Shijimi, holding her shoulders tightly.

 

“Shijimi, calm down…”

 

“UGHH!!! It’s my fault… Iwanishi died because of me… He sacrificed himself to save me…” Shijimi’s said with a pair of eyes which has lost its focus.

 

“Shijimi!!! It’s not!!! It’s not your fault!!!” I was trying hard to get Shijimi back to reality, she was getting absorbed into the darkness after witnessing Iwanishi’s death.

 

“It’s my fault… It’s my fault…”

 

“Shijimi!!! Come back!!! I beg you!!!” I held Shijimi’s cheeks gently, wiping away the tears who was dropping non-stop.

 

“Semi… Sorry… Sorry…” Shijimi finally looked into my eyes…

 

“No… Shijimi… It’s my fault… It’s mine…”

 

I was going to hug Shijimi into my arms…

 

*BANGS*

 

Another gunshot was heard…!!

 

Shijimi fell onto my body and I held her tightly holding her back…

 

…… Wait…...

 

Shijimi’s back... feels wet…?

 

While hugging Shijimi, I looked at my palms, it was stained with blood…

 

“Shijimi…!!!”

 

I sensed some red lights blinking, I looked at the building opposite through the windows, the red light was coming from there!!

 

I saw a masked man holding a gun...

 

There was another sniper there!!

 

!! So the guys in this room were just baits as well…!!

 

“Semi!!!”

 

I turned around and saw Keito, “Keito…?”

 

“Don't just stay there!! My car is downstairs, I’ll carry Iwanishi, you carry Shijimi, quick!!! We have no time to waste!!”

 

“Ok…!”

 

I quickly carried Shijimi up and left for Keito’s car.

 

“Shijimi!!! Hang on!!” While in the car, Shijimi was breathing heavily, blood was still bleeding profusely out of her wounds despite me doing some quick first aid on her.

 

“Se...mi…”

 

“Shijimi!! Save your strength!! We’re reaching soon!! You’ll be fine!!”

 

“I’m fine… I won't… leave you… I won't… You have already lost Iwanishi… I won't… *coughs*”

 

“Shijimi!! Ok!! I know!! Don't speak anymore!!”

 

I looked at Shijimi’s pale face, something was flowing down from her lips…

 

Blood…???

 

*COUGHS*

 

Shijimi coughed heavily, with blood splashing out each time she coughs.

 

“Shijimi!!! KEITO!! SPEED UP!!! SHIJIMI IS COUGHING BLOOD!!”

 

“!!!” Keito cursed and accelerated even faster.

 

I’m… going crazy...!!!

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Just when everything seems to be going well, it has to become opposite..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------