Chapter 22 - Shijimi is Not That Kind of Person

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 22 - Shijimi is Not That Kind of Person

 

Semi’s POV

 

Thirty minutes has passed while waiting at the place I was supposed to meet Maki… Why is she not coming yet…? She didn’t pick up my calls either…

 

…………. I have a bad feeling……

 

, is this another fraud?!?!

 

I don’t think Maki is stupid and weak enough to have anything happened to her…

 

Shijimi…!!!

 

Using the greatest speed, I rushed back to my apartment,

 

“Shijimi!!!” I called for Shijimi while opening the door to my apartment.

 

“Don’t beat me!!! Sorry!!! I just… Love Ryosuke too much!!!”

 

Upon entering, I heard Maki’s shoutings and saw her head hitting upon the corner of the table before felling onto the ground.

 

“Maki!!!” I went up to check on her injuries, her head was bleeding.

 

, what just happened??? Did Shijimi pushed Maki…?

 

Arghhh I can’t think properly now!!!

 

“Shijimi, I’m bringing Maki to the hospital, you stay here and don’t open the door to anyone, ok??”

 

“Semi… I’ll go with you…” Shijimi’s voice sounded frightened…

 

“Shijimi, listen to me… Stay here… Alright? I’ll come back soon…”

 

“............ Um…” Shijimi nodded her head.

 

At the hospital, the doctor diagnosed that Maki’s injuries were just external, fortunately she did not suffer from cerebral concussion. Maki woke up shortly after receiving treatments.

 

“Ryosuke…”

 

“Maki… How are you feeling?”

 

“..... Ryosuke… I was so scared!!!” Maki sat up on the bed and hugged me.

 

“Maki… What happened…?”

 

“....... I…… I confessed to Nana that I like you…… Upon hearing that, she got so agitated… And started pushing me around… That was how I lost my balance and hit my head…”

 

……………….. Shijimi……. She did that……?

 

“Ryosuke… I really really miss you… Can you return to my side…? I’m feeling so lonely all these years… I have no one else to rely on except you…… Even the person I had trusted most had betrayed me since such a long time ago… I… I can’t find the meaning to live on anymore…” Maki started crying again.

 

I pushed Maki out of my arms, I can’t let her misunderstand me anymore…

 

“Maki… Sorry… I can’t… I don’t have that kind of feelings for you… I have… Someone I love already… And I will only love her for the rest of my life.”

 

“....... Is that person… Nana??”

 

“.......... Yeah……”

 

There is no way I can hide it anymore… Although I really really didn’t want to let Maki know… But since she has already confronted Shijimi… I have no other choices…

 

“Why…??? Why do you like her??? She’s such an evil person!!! She tried to push me around!!!”

 

“Maki… Shijimi is not that kind of person.”

 

She is not. She definitely is not.

 

“Ryosuke… Do you mean I am faking all these up?!?! How can you…!!! We’ve known each other for so long…” Maki cried even harder.

 

I can’t get soft-hearted, I need to maintain my stand.

 

“Maki, I wasn’t present when all these happened. I should listen to what Shijimi have to say first before giving my judgement. But… I believe her, she isn’t someone who will do such things.”

 

“Ryosuke!!! Why don't you believe me…”

 

“Maki, I am no longer Ryosuke… Since six years ago, I have become Semi. Please call me by Semi from now on. The Ryosuke you have known is no longer around.”

 

“...... What…? No, Ryosuke!!! Please… I don’t know what I will become if you give up on me as well… I… I am very depressed…”

 

“...... Maki… I have already decided, I cannot let you hold false hope on me. I love Shijimi, only Shijimi.”

 

“NO!!!! NO!!!!” Maki started crying again.

 

“I won’t let anyone hurt Shijimi, I will protect her. I’m sorry I couldn’t return your feelings for me. Other than that, I’ll be gladly to help you if you need my help anytime. If you are fine already, I’ll be going back then.”

 

“Ryosuke!!! Don’t leave me!!!” Maki came grabbing on my arms.

 

“Maki, please. Don’t behave like this. Else I won’t be able to treat you as a friend anymore.” I took her hands off mine and left the hospital after that.

 

I rushed back home but Shijimi wasn’t at home.

 

!!! Where has she gone to?!?!

 

I went around the neighborhood to look for her, and found her sitting in the playground.

 

“Shijimi!!!” I rushed up to her, and found her body was very cold.

 

“Semi…” Shijimi looked at me with a pair of eyes that are full of red veins.

 

“Why are you here?? Didn’t I ask you to stay home?!?!” I took off my jacket and put it on her cold body.

 

“I…… I don’t know…… What just… Happened…??? Ah… Semi… How’s Maki…?? And… I… I didn’t push her!!! She… She went to bang the table herself… I… I…” Shijimi got agitated as she speaks.

 

“SHIJIMI!!! Calm down!! I trust you!! I trust you won’t do such a thing!!! Don’t be afraid… Ok… It’s all my fault…” I hugged Shijimi tightly, her body is shivering badly, she must be really frightened.

 

“...... Semi……” I felt my shoulders getting wet, Shijimi is crying again…?

 

“Shijimi, I’m sorry… Don’t cry anymore… Alright…?”

 

“Semi…”

 

We went back home but Shijimi was still feeling very depressed.

 

… Why…?!?!

 

I just wanted to have some simple happiness with Shijimi… Can’t I…?

 

“Shijimi… Don’t worry… Maki is fine, and I have already rejected her feelings. Give me a smile… Ok…?”

 

“Semi… I’m fine…” Shijimi gave me a weak smile.

 

“Sorry… Shijimi… It’s my…”

 

“No!! Semi!!! Don’t apologize…” Shijimi came caressing my face, her cold fingers…

 

“Shijimi… No matter what happens… I love only you…” I try to warm her cold hands with mine, and hugged her tightly and patting her to sleep.

 

The next day, I was awakened by the ringing on my phone, I picked it up, and it was Maki, she said she is going to commit suicide, and wants to meet me one last time before dying. I told her I won’t go meet her and hung the phone.

 

“Semi… What happened…?” Shijimi woke up right after I put down the phone.

 

“Nothing… Get back to sleep…”

 

I wasn’t planning to go meet Maki anyway, I don’t really think she would commit suicide.

 

“Semi… is that call from Maki…?”

 

“Shijimi, it’s not, come, get back to sleep.” I tried to push Shijimi back onto the bed but I felt her body was hot.

 

“Shijimi!! Your body feels warm, are you having a fever??”

 

“Semi… I’m fine… Did anything happen to Maki…?”

 

“No, she’s fine. Let me measure your temperature first.”

 

*Message ringtone*

 

My phone rang again, it was a newly received message tone.

 

Shijimi took my phone to see before I managed to.

 

“Semi!! Maki said she is going to jump off a building!!! Quick!! Go stop her!!!”

 

“No!! I’m not going!! And you’re having a fever, I am not leaving you alone!!”

 

“Semi!!! I’m fine!! You should go before it gets too late!!!”

 

“Shiji…”

 

“Semi!!! I don’t want… I don’t want the kind of love which is being built up on the unfortunate of others…”

 

“............. Shijimi……”

 

“Semi… quick… go…”

 

“.................. Alright…… I’ll come back quick… Wait for me…”

 

I dashed out to where Maki said she was going to commit suicide.

 

 

I need to get back quick to look after Shijimi...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Maki’s tactic of accusing Shijimi to get Semi back to her, yet Semi didn’t fall for it, and decided to trust only Shijimi. I want to be loved by such a man too, one who will always trust and protect you till the end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------