Chapter 54 - Present to the Future

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 54 - Present to the Future

 

Semi’s POV

 

Upon returning home that day after visiting Shijimi, I took out my photo albums, and flipped through all the photos of Shijimi that I have taken.

 

“Shijimi… I miss you…”

 

Often I will find myself flipping through the photo albums and speaking to it, I feel Shijimi can hear me if I do so...

 

*Knock*

 

“Dad, it’s me!!”

 

“Ah, Rika! Come in!”

 

“Dad! You’re talking to Mama again?”

 

“Yeah, you want to join me?”

 

“Hehe! Of course! That’s why I’m here!”

 

I chuckled.

 

I always feel that it was all thanks to Rika’s cheerful and energetic character, I was able to survive through the loss of Shijimi.

 

“Mama, can you come into my dream and tell me how you and dad met and fell in love with each other? I’ve been asking dad to tell me about it but he just refused to.”

 

“Ah… Rika! Why are you asking about this to your Mum?!?!”

 

“Because you always avoided my question!!”

 

“I……”

 

I……

 

Couldn’t bring myself to reveal it to you… Rika…

 

How am I supposed to tell my own daughter that his father was a professional killer, whereby he met her mother during one of his job executions…

 

I was not sure…

 

If Rika could accept what I did in the past like how Shijimi did.

 

That was why I could not bring myself to share my past with Rika…

 

I had no confidence in myself…

 

“Dad… No matter what you’ll tell me, I’ll accept everything.”

 

“Rika……”

 

“Why not we have a deal, when I turn twenty, you’ll tell me about that as my birthday present, alright?”

 

“........ Rika…… Ok… When your twentieth birthday comes, I’ll tell you everything.”

 

“It’s a promise! Mum! You’ll be our witness, ok??”

 

“Silly girl. Just like your mum…” I tapped on Rika’s forehead gently.

 

“Mum!! Dad bullied me again!!!”

 

I smiled, and we continued chatting with Shijimi that night, as if Shijimi was really with us in the room.

 

Shijimi… I think… It will be fine telling Rika about our past… right…?

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Two years later…

 

Time seems to pass by very fast, after Rika graduated from high school, she moved over to Tokyo to attend the University there. She had asked me to go along, but I said I want to stay here and accompany her mother, therefore she went there alone. Fortunately Sho went over to Tokyo shortly after Rika moved as well, I can count on Sho to look after Rika.

 

Oh…? Yes, they are dating, it seems like Sho has been liking Rika ever since he was young, and he finally confessed to Rika upon her high school graduation and Rika accepted his confession. The three of us continued to stay in the same house in Hokkaido, I mean, Keito, Maki and myself.

 

After Rika moved out, I visited Shijimi even more frequently, to chat with her, and make sure she is not lonely.

 

“Shijimi, in two days time it’s going to be RIka’s twentieth birthday… She is coming back tomorrow… And… I am left with one more day, before revealing all the truth to her…”

 

Despite Rika saying that she will accept everything that I say, I was still feeling worried. Afterall, the history of Shijimi and myself was not something common that you will see in others’ lives.

 

“Shijimi… I know you will tell me ‘it will be fine’ if you are here, but I believe it would be… Because Rika is our daughter, right?”

 

The next day, Maki prepared a lot of dishes to welcome Rika and Sho back, we had a scrumptious dinner that night before welcoming Rika’s twentieth birthday at midnight with a cake.

 

As the time comes nearer, I am getting more and more nervous. Despite practising a lot of times about how I should recite the truth to Rika, I still couldn’t hide my uneasiness.

 

*Knock*

 

“Dad! Are you awake?”

 

“Ah Rika, yes! Come in!”

 

The time is coming…

 

“Dad, sleep early tonight, ok? We are going to visit Mama tomorrow morning.”

 

“Ah, wait, aren’t you here to listen to what I promised to tell you?”

 

“It’s ok dad! You can tell me tomorrow in front of Mama, I believe she would like to be present as well. Hehe~”

 

“....... I can’t stand you… Ok, go take an early rest then.”

 

“Ok! Good night, dad!”

 

I let out a deep sigh, feeling slightly more relaxed before the next day comes…

 

I had a good sleep that night, and woke up early to prepare to go visit Shijimi again.

 

Upon reaching Shijimi’s tombstone with Rika, I took a deep breath, and was going to start with what I was going to tell Rika.

 

“Rika, regarding the past of you mother and I…”

 

“Dad, it’s alright. You don’t have to say it.”

 

“...... Huh…? Why…? I thought you’ve always wanted to know?”

 

“I received it already.”

 

“...... Received… what…?”

 

“I have received the present that I wanted already… from… Mama…”

 

“......... What…?”

 

“Mum has told me all about it already.”

 

“......? What?!?! Your Mama really came into your dream to tell you about it?!?! Ahh!!”

 

Rika tapped me on my forehead, “silly dad! How could that be?!?!”

 

“Then…? What do you mean?!?!”

 

“Hehe~ Here you go~” Rika took out a sketchbook from her bag and passed it to me.

 

“...... Isn’t this the same sketchbook you carried with you when you were young? Why are you passing me this?”

 

“Dad, you’re being so long-winded! Flip open and take a look!”

 

I flipped open the cover page, and I saw some writings.

 

Ah…!!!

 

Shijimi’s handwriting!!

 

………………. I started reading what was written on it…

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rika, when you received this sketchbook, it means you have turned twenty already. Happy Birthday!!! But firstly, Mama would like to apologize, for not being able to celebrate physically with you. However, remember that Mama will always protect you from over here.

 

Remember Mama used to tell you a lot of short stories about your dad? Today, Mama will link up everything for you, from the start till the end, the story of Mama and Papa. This is a little present that Mama could do for you during the last moments of my life.

 

Probably your Papa will find it hard to tell you everything through his mouth, so let Mama do it. You may get a shock at first, but please, continue reading till the very last page. What you will see now, is how your Papa looked in Mama’s eyes throughout Mama’s life. I believe that the Papa in Mama’s eyes is the same as the Papa in Rika’s eyes.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

………………………….. Shijimi……!!!

 

She is…… still creating miracles even after she left……

 

My hands started trembling…

 

As I try to flip to the next page…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Shijimi knew she was not going to make it, hence, she prepared the present in advance for her dearest people in her life...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------