Chapter 19 - Old Friend or Lover?

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

“Maki…?”

 

Twelve years ago, Maki was the girl who joined few months after me to receive trainings to become also another professional killer. Both of us were trained under the same guy. While I was specialized in knives, Maki was trained in rifles. We splitted ways when we turned sixteen whereby I went Tokyo to become a professional assassin, and I heard she went overseas to become a professional sniper. We did not have contact since then.

 

Different from me, Maki’s parents were killed in a robbery in her house, thereafter she became an orphan, and was approached by the guy who trained us and he brought her back. Maki wanted to take revenge for her parents so she agreed to undergo trainings to become a professional killer.

 

“Ryosuke, how are you??”

 

“............. I’m fine I guess.” I find myself getting stuck in this awkward conversation.

 

“I guess so. Free for a short catch-up?”

 

“.......... I guess not, we are rushing for shinkansen.” I glanced at Shijimi, hinting Maki.

 

“........... Ryosuke, it’s not a coincidence that I appear right here, I have important issues to tell you.”

 

“............... Alright… But we can’t stay long.”

 

“Ryosuke, I would like to talk to you only.” Maki was directly telling me she doesn’t want Shijimi to join our conversation.

 

Thinking that I can’t leave Shijimi alone because she isn’t familiar around here. I tried to reject her, “................Sorry, I…... ”

 

“Semi! I’m fine, I’ll just take a stroll around the neighbourhood while waiting for you!” Shijimi spoke before I was able to reject Maki.

 

“Shiji…”

 

“Just go!!!” Shijimi pushed me towards Maki and gave me a smile to assure me she is fine.

 

……………. I sighed at this silly girl……

 

“Alright, I’ll be right back, don’t wander off too far away.”

 

“Ok!!”

 

I went off with Maki to a nearby cafe for us to continue the conversation.

 

“Ryosuke, what drinks would you like?”

 

“Just hot coffee.”

 

“Ryosuke, how have you been all these years…?”

 

“Are you going to start our conversation from there? If yes, I won't have enough time.” Even though I am sitting here, my mind was full of Shijimi only...

 

“........ Why are you being so cold to me now? Have you forgotten we have went through so much together when we were young?”

 

“....... No…… I told you I was rushing for time…”

 

“It’s fine right? Just stay for another night.”

 

“.......... Maki… Let’s not get out of topic, just what important issues have you got to tell me?”

 

I am feeling more and more anxious as Maki drags our conversation further.

 

“Are you just that much concerned about that girl? Who is she??”

 

, Maki saw through me. What should I say…?

 

Swallowing my saliva hard, I try to stay calm, “No… She’s just a friend of mine, and I need to bring her back to Tokyo today.”

 

I lied. I decided to keep my relationship with Shijimi to as few people as possible. As I recalled what happened earlier between Nakai and me. Letting more people know of our relationship isn't going to help us, it might just bring more danger to Shijimi. I need to protect her.

 

“I see… I thought she’s your girlfriend. I’m relieved to hear that she’s not.”

 

“....... What do you…”

 

While I was about to ask Maki what she meant, the news on the television caught my attention.

 

“A man was found shot dead in his apartment, he is believed to be Okada.”

 

…….O…..ka...da…?

 

I looked at the picture on the news, it’s him!!! It is the man who trained us to be professional killers!! Why is he dead?!?!

 

“Maki, look!!! Okada is dead!!!”

 

“Yeah… He deserved it.”

 

“.......??? What…??”

 

“That was done by me, I wished I had killed him earlier.”

 

“...... Maki, what did you say?? You killed him??? Why?”

 

As much as I hate that guy, I thought Maki didn't hate him, since she was the one who willingly accepted his suggestions to train her.

 

“This is what I was going to tell you. He’s a bastard, he had planned for all these.”

 

“.... What plans…?”

 

“He was the one who killed my parents and made it look like a robbery, so that he could persuade me into accepting his trainings to become a killer. I have just found out about this a month ago, and I came back just to take my revenge. And it so happened I banged into you here, Ryosuke…”

 

Maki got more emotional as she speaks. I guess it’s hard accepting the fact that someone you had trusted so much being the one who betrayed you.

 

“Ryosuke…… I am feeling terrible now…… Why did I trust that bastard so easily…?”

 

Maki started tearing, seeing an old friend being so sad, I went to sit beside her and tapped gently on her shoulders to comfort her.

 

After calming Maki down, I told her I really got to rush back to Tokyo, and left my contact so that she could contact me if she comes to Tokyo.

 

As we walked back to the place we met just now, Maki hugged me suddenly,

 

“Maki!!! What are…”

 

“Ryosuke, just for a moment… Please…”

 

“...........”

 

“I am really sad…… I seemed to have lost the meaning why I lived on…..”

 

“........ Maki, hang on. You may find those answers soon. Don't give up yet.”

 

The Maki now was just like myself before I met Shijimi, I could understand her fully. I patted her back gently, to comfort this ex-accomplice of mine.

 

“Maki, I got to go, contact me if you have any problems, ok?”

 

“Ryosuke… ok… see ya soon…”

 

I bidded goodbye to Maki and went around the neighborhood to search for Shijimi. But I couldn't find her anywhere around. She shouldn't have gone too far right..….? I started to feel uneasy again…

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Maki’s POV

 

After killing that bastard, I saw someone familiar while walking on the road…

 

Ryo… Ryosuke?!?!

 

I missed him so much!!!

 

He is the one who I have loved since young… It was because he was with me I could hang on with the tough trainings, and even live till now…

 

It must be fate that let me meet him again!!!

 

…….. Wait… there is someone with him…

 

A girl…?

 

Who is she…?

 

They seemed intimate…

 

NO WAY!!! Ryosuke is mine!!!

 

I decided to approach Ryosuke alone to find out more about the girl.

 

While in the cafe, Ryosuke seemed so uneasy, he looks different from the Ryosuke I used to know… He is looking less cold as compared to the past, his facial expressions showed his inner feelings. It was something I never got to see in the past… He doesn’t even show expressions of joy when we had in the past… He was just a cold and expressionless guy...

 

Then I took the chance to ask him about the girl, and he said she is just a friend. I am relieved yet I am not… Ryosuke seems to be lying… But since he said that, I shall just take it as it is for now…

 

I want to get Ryosuke back to my side. I decided to act vulnerable in front of him after telling him about Okada’s matters. I want him to comfort me, I want him to come closer to me… But he kept saying he got to go so I decided to let him off for now first. While I was accompanying him back to where we came from, I spotted that girl some distance away.


THIS IS MY CHANCE!!!

 

I hugged Ryosuke, trying to act vulnerable again, I want that girl to see us. I want her to see that Ryosuke and I are destined to be together.

 

I see her getting shock looking at us, and she walked away shortly after.

 

I smirked.

 

So many years of trainings have made me become one who can act naturally without even blinking my eyes. After parting with Ryosuke, I went in the direction of where that girl went. I want to let her know, Ryosuke is mine!

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Nana’s POV

 

Maki looks so pretty and capable, not like me, I am just a useless person who can only rely on Semi to survive… What are their relationship…?? They look like they have known each other for very long...

 

I started depress and feel inferior… Is she Semi’s ex-girlfriend???

 

I waited at the same place for Semi for quite a while before spotting them walking back, I was about to walk up to them. It was then Maki hugged Semi, Semi didn’t push her away, yet he was tapping on her back…

 

They really were a pair of couple…

 

It was then I sensed Maki looking at me, as if she’s telling me Semi is hers… I walked away… I don’t know why I walked away… I just couldn’t take it… I am feeling so much jealousy…

 

I wasn’t sure how far I have walked, when I realized it, I find myself in an unfamiliar place, and the surroundings is getting dark, I couldn’t recognise the road back…

 

 

As I am pondering which way to go, someone came up to me.

 

Ah, its Maki…?

 

“Hello, you’re Ryosuke’s friend right??”

 

“Ah yes… You’re Maki right…? My name is Nana…”

 

Why is she here…? I don’t really want to see her…

 

“Nana, nice to meet you! Ryosuke told me you are his friend, and he needs to bring you back to Tokyo tonight.”

 

Friend……..?

 

Semi told her I am his ‘friend’...?

 

Didn’t he told Nakai that I am his ‘girlfriend’ previously…?

 

Why…….?

 

Is it because my relationship with Semi cannot be let known to Maki…???

 

“Ah… Yes…”

 

Yet I could only accept what Semi told her...

 

“I’m glad to hear that!!! I thought you are his girlfriend, this means I stand a chance to go back to Ryosuke!! I really miss him so much… I especially love it when we are on the bed…”

 

…………….!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

BED……?

 

They had that kind of relationship…?!?!

 

“............” My heart was racing, I felt my breath getting shorter each time...

 

I couldn’t find any words to say, my heart is hurting so much… So much that I just want to cry…

 

“I think it’s heaven giving me a chance to meet Ryosuke again, I’ve lost contact with him six years ago, but now it’s the chance for me to get back with him!! You’re his friend right?? Can you help me with it??? I really really love Ryosuke, I love him since we were together ten years ago…”

 

……………. What……? Maki is asking me to patch her up with Semi??

 

I refuse!!!

 

Semi is mine…

 

But…

 

Is he even…

 

Mine to begin with…?

 

“Sorry, Maki… I think Ryosuke is looking for me, I should get back…” Feeling inferior, I needed to get away from here…!!

 

I left those words and ran away… As fast as I could…

 

I don’t care wherever I am running to already… My heart is hurting so much I can’t take it anymore!!!

 

I want to…

 

Cry...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: The appearance of Maki, will it destroy the bonds between Shijimi and Semi…? Feeling much heartache as Shijimi as I read this...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------