Chapter 36 - Creation from Love

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 36 - Creation from Love

 

Semi’s POV

 

“....... Keito…... Can you tell me what is happening……?

 

“............. That should be my question to you.”

 

“.............. Keito… I……”

 

“Papa!!”

 

Hmm……? The voice of another kid was heard… I turned towards where the voice came from, I saw another young boy, and someone was standing with him…

 

……………. Maki?!?!?!

 

“Papa!!! Rika-chan!!! Wait for us!!!” The little boy came running towards Keito…

 

Rika……?

 

Is that the name of this little girl who called me ‘Papa’......?

 

As I am seeing Maki walking towards us, she gave me a shock look.

 

“Semi…… where have you been all these years……?”

 

“Maki…… I……”

 

I was at a loss of what to say, I have so much to say that I don’t know how I should start…

 

“Mama!! Can I go to the playground with Rika-chan for a while??” The little boy was calling Maki ‘Mama’......

 

I need to sort out properly what I have just seen...

 

“Ok, Rika-chan, let’s go!” Maki held both the little boy and Rika with her hands and was leaving us.

 

“Auntie Maki!! I don’t want to leave!! Papa is here!!! I want Papa!!!” Rika was refusing to leave, and she came holding my hands tightly…

 

“............ Rika-chan, Papa won’t leave, Uncle Keito wants to talk to your Papa for a while, he’ll bring him back later, ok?”

 

“...... Auntie Maki, you are not lying, right?”

 

“I’m not, Rika-chan, since Papa is back for you, we won’t let him leave you anymore.” Maki turned to look at me as soon as she completed the sentence, it was as if she was warning me not to leave again...

 

“...... Ok…… Papa!! You must come back and find me later, ok??” Rika turned her face towards me, and asked me with a really innocent face.

 

………. She reminds me of……

 

Shijimi……

 

“...... Of course I will!!” Out of natural instinct, I replied with a smile, a genuine smile, a smile which I haven’t been revealing for the past five years...

 

Maki brought the two kids away, leaving me and Keito alone.

 

“..................... Keito……”

 

“...... Before asking me any questions, tell me where you have gone to all these years. Maki and I have been finding you ever since you left without any notice, and we couldn’t find you anywhere. Why did you abandon Nana?”

 

“............... Sorry, I didn’t want to… I was threatened to… Remember the incident five years ago where Iwanishi sacrificed himself to save Shijimi? It was done by someone who wanted to take revenge on me. He was also the one who shot Shijimi, after that, he threatened me to break up with Shijimi in his presence, and forced me to leave Japan and never come back… Else, he will take Shijimi’s life...”

 

“............ Then why are you back out of sudden again?”

 

“........ Few days ago, I saw in the newspaper that the guy who threatened me was from a killing organization and the organization has been raided by the police. So I thought... since he’s not around anymore, I can come back to Japan and explain everything to Shijimi… Sorry… I am really sorry…… I had no other choices…… I only wanted Shijimi to…… stay alive…”

 

“................”

 

“...... Keito… Can you… tell me what is happening…? The little boy, is the child of yours and Maki…? What about the little girl? Her name is, Rika, right…?”

 

“.............. As you have seen, Sho, is the son of Maki and me, as for Rika…”

 

“......................” I stayed silent, waiting for Keito to continue his words… I have a feeling, what he is going to say, would be hitting me hard…

 

“...... Rika… is Nana’s daughter.”

 

“............... Daughter……..? And Rika’s father is……?”

 

“Wasn’t what happened clear enough for you to realize?!?! Rika was calling you ‘Papa’ non-stop!!”

 

“.................!!!!!!! I’m……. I’m….. Rika’s father?!?!”

 

“.................. Who else could Nana have a child with then?? You bastard!!” Keito came grabbing my shirt, shaking my body vigorously, as if he is trying to wake me up.

 

“.................. Rika…… is my daughter……? How old is Rika……?”

 

“……………… She is turning five next month.”

 

“................. Five……?”

 

I left Shijimi slightly more than five years ago… And Rika is going to turn five… Was… Shijimi already pregnant when I left her?!?!

 

“.............. Keito…… where is Shijimi…?? I want to see her…”

 

“...... Nana is……” Keito became silent before completing his sentence, I have a bad feeling…

 

“Keito…?? Did anything happen to Shijimi…?!?!”

 

“................ I need to warn you, I am not going to let you see her so easily. Before I agree to let you see her, you should know what happened after you left, and decide whether you really want to see her again. Based on her condition now, she won’t be able to accept if you are going to leave her one more time.”

 

“................ Keito…… What do you mean…?”

 

“.............. Nana’s health is…… deteriorating really badly…”

 

“............. Why……? What happened to her?!?!”

 

“SEMI!! Have you forgotten?!?! She was shot! Before she recovered she had to go through the process of you abandoning her!! Carrying Rika in her body, she has to endure all the sufferings both physically and mentally!!!”

 

“............!!!” I was speechless. What Keito said was right, I could still remember the miserable cries Shijimi made when I threw her out of my apartment.

 

“........... Ever since you left, she was crying so often, even though she tries to put on a strong side in front of Maki and me, we knew that she was secretly crying in her bed at night. Her body condition wasn’t strong to begin with, after having organs taken out of her twice, getting shot once, her pregnancy was putting her life at risk.”

 

“..............”

 

“Yet she insisted, she wants to keep your child, she told us she will survive for the sake of your child, because Rika is the creation from the love between you two. She believed you will come back eventually. She has never doubted you, not even once, she knew you must have your reasons that you had to leave her.”

 

“............... Shijimi…… why is she so silly……?”

 

“.......... Indeed... After going through months of tough pregnancy, she finally gave birth to Rika, which almost caused her life. After that, she took months to recover, and finally she managed to get out of bed after months of recuperation . Since then, she has been doing her best as a mother, giving Rika all her love, helping you build a good image in Rika’s mind. She told Rika, you had to go somewhere far to do something important, and that you will come back for them one day. She drew your portraits one after another for Rika, so that Rika can recognise you if one day she sees you. Rika trusted Nana’s words, and brings the sketchbook containing all your portraits with her wherever she goes, hoping to meet her father one day.”

 

“…………………..”

 

So that is why Rika was able to recognise me as her ‘Papa’... Shijimi has been doing these all for my sake…… My heart is beginning to feel pain, I have been such a letdown to Shijimi, yet all she had was unconditional love for me.

 

“If you were wondering why we are staying here, it was all Nana’s requests as well. She knew that you must want to come back here and live, and pleaded me to buy this piece of land, and build a house here.”

 

“.......... Then what happened to Shijimi……?”

 

“........ Nana… she fainted suddenly three weeks ago. She was diagnosed with a brain tumour…”

 

“......... Brain…… tumour?!?!”

 

“.......... The tumour was growing at the position where it would be hard to reach even if she undergoes operations…”

 

“What……”

 

“Moreover…”

 

“............ moreover…?”

 

“Her mental health is too weak now to undergo operations, she has been half conscious most of the time recently, she doesn’t know what is happening in the surroundings… Often, she would mistaken me for you… And would call for your name non-stop…”

 

“.............. Shijimi…… I want to… I want to see Shijimi!!!”

 

“SEMI!!! I said before, I would only let you meet Nana, if you promise not to hurt her again.”

 

“......... Keito…… I won’t… I won’t leave her anymore… I promise you.”

 

“.............. You better prepare yourself for what you are going to see. Nana… is not the same as before…”

 

“................ No matter what she may have become, I’ll love only her……”

 

Yes, and… I won’t leave her anymore… I won’t!!!

 

Shijimi…… I’m very sorry……

 

I’m back…

 

I’m finally back…

 

Wait for me…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: A very heavy chapter of what happened in these five years when Semi was away. Will Shijimi survive for Semi…?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------