Chapter 2 - Ringing in the Ears

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

As I am still pondering over my weird actions, I remain seated beside my own bed which Shijimi is lying on right now, and somehow, I could feel calmness. It was a feeling… that I have been yearning for…

 

*RINGSSSSSS*

 

AH!! , the ringing in my left ear is starting again!!!

 

My left ear has been having this problem since many years ago. At first the ringing started mild, but as time goes by, the ringing begin to worsen, and sometimes I get so irritated I feel like cutting off my own ear.

 

“..UGHH…!!!” I was holding onto my ear, hoping that the ringing would stop.

 

“Semi…?” I could hear Shijimi’s voice partially…

 

“Semi… are you alright…?” I see Shijimi using a lot of her strength to sit up.

 

She was looking worried for me, but I am very distracted by the ringing in my ear.

 

“Semi… Is there any problem with your left ear…?” Shijimi’s voice sounded even softer as the ringing in my ear gets louder.

 

“Ughhhh!!!’ I am getting more and more frustrated, I want to shout…!!!

 

“AHH………”

 

……………

 

Wait………

 

The ringing is…….

 

Decreasing……….

 

The ringing is…….

 

Gone………

 

I opened my partially closed eyes, and saw Shijimi’s face right in front of mine.

 

She was... touching my left ear with her hand.

 

What does this mean…?

 

Did my ringing stop because of her touch…?

 

No! This can’t be……..!!!

 

It couldn’t be……..

 

“Semi? Are you feeling better??” Shijimi looked really worried.

 

“Ah… I’m fine already.”

 

“That’s great…” Shijimi let go a relieved smile.

 

“Are you hungry? I’ll go get some food for you.”

 

I was trying to move away from the topic, but I realized I have said something stupid again. Why am I being so kind to her? I am a killer!! A heartless killer!!! I shouldn’t be doing this!!

 

“Semi… It’s fine. You have done enough for me, I cannot trouble you anymore.”

 

“........ What do you mean?”

 

Shijimi stood up, and I stood up as well, wondering what she is going to do.

 

“Thank you Semi, I will not forget your help. I’m leaving here if you allow me to.”

 

“........... Leaving…? Do you have a place to go…?”

 

, why am I feeling loneliness…..??

 

“........ No……. But I’ll find a way to survive, and I won’t reveal about your stuffs to anyone, so don’t worry!” Shijimi was still smiling.

 

Shijimi……. Is she going to leave me as well…?

 

“Semi, thank you. I really appreciate you from the bottom of my heart… See you…” Shijimi was walking towards the door.

 

………….. What is this feeling I’m having now…….

 

Panic, I’m panicking!

 

“Wait.” I pulled Shijimi’s hand to stop her from moving anymore.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“I haven’t agree yet. And your life is under my control.”

 

“.................”

 

“Before I agree you can leave, you need to stay here.”

 

“........... Semi……. You don’t have to help me so much… Because I will only bring troubles to you...” Shijimi was looking at me with her penetrating eyes, it was as if, she could see through what I am thinking.

 

“Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not helping you. I’m just warning you that your life is under my control.” I need to hide my true emotions…

 

“Se…”

 

*Nana drops onto the floor*

 

Shijimi fainted again!

 

“Hey! Shijimi!!” I carried her body up in my arms.

 

“Ugh……. I’m fine…… I’m just….. hungry….”

 

“............. You’re a stupid Shijimi!!!” I was quite relieved upon hearing that…

 

“......... Sorry…”

 

“Stay here, I’ll go buy some food.”

 

I carried Shijimi back onto my bed, and went out to the convenience store to get some food and drinks.

 

Semi, what exactly are you doing?

 

I seriously couldn’t understand my own actions, I realise I am doing stupid things right now…

 

After reaching home, I couldn’t spot Shijimi, she wasn’t on the bed!

 

“Hey! Shijimi!!” I tried to call out for her but there was no response.

 

. So she has ran away?

 

*RINGSSSSSSSSSS*

 

“UGHHHHHH!!!!”

 

The ringing started again in my ear, IT!!!!!!

 

“UGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

It’s damn irritating!!!! Someone!! HELP ME!!!

 

“Semi???”

 

Someone was calling me…? Who is it…?

 

Ah… the ringing is decreasing……

 

And the ringing is gone in seconds…….

 

I opened my eyes, and saw Shijimi’s face right in front of me again.

 

I saw that…

 

Her hand…

 

Is on my ear again…

 

“..... Shi… jimi…?”

 

“Semi, are you alright?? Your ear is giving you problem again??”

 

“Shijimi… I thought… you ran away… Just now I was calling for you but there was no response…”

 

“Oh… I was too engrossed in watching the clams you have in the kitchen so I didn’t hear you calling for me. Watching them bubbling in water, is kind of interesting…”

 

………………!!!!!!!!

 

I got a shock, I can’t believe someone else would feel the same as me!

 

“Semi, what happened to your ear? It seems like it’s giving you problems isn’t it?”

 

“Ah… My left ear? It always start ringing on its own every now and then… I’m quite helpless about it too…”

 

I can’t remember, when the ringing started…

 

Was it after that incident?

 

“..............”

 

“Anyway, you’re hungry right? Let’s eat, I bought a lot food.”

 

We sat down and started eating the food, I realized Shijimi was eating really slowly.

 

“Shijimi, does the food not suit your taste?”

 

“Ah No! Semi, it’s perfectly fine… I’m just thinking…”

 

“... of?”

 

“Of… what I should do from now on… I have no one to rely on… I have no place to return to… I have no survival skills… Maybe, dying is a better choice for me…”

 

How should I answer her?? I’m not sure too…

 

“....... Then just stay here for the time being…”

 

“......... Semi……. I can’t…… How can I trouble you?”

 

“.......... Maybe you can help to clean my house as a way to repay me.”

 

My eyes were looking away, because I’m feeling shy as I say this.

 

“...... Semi…… Thank you…… I really don’t know what else I can say…..”

 

“Then just stay by my side for now.”

 

Somehow I want her by my side, this is the first time I’m having such feelings.

 

Shijimi…

 

“Semi, this is weird. I have hated man ever since I was sent to that apartment. Every time he beats me, my hatred for man only increases. But, somehow I don’t hate you, I don’t even have a slight dislike against you. I don’t know what is this feeling…”

 

……………… Why is Shijimi speaking about this…? But I sort of understand her… It’s the same for me… Why can’t I kill her…? Why am I being so nice to her…?

 

“And, I think I will bring you a lot troubles in future… I am stupid, I’ve not attended school since I was twelve, I don’t know what is the outside world now, I don’t even…” Shijimi paused halfway through her speech.

 

“....... Shijimi…?”

 

Shijimi started looking down on the floor, her long hairs are covering her face, I can’t see her eyes… But I wonder what she is feeling right now, being kept in the same place for ten years, and now that she is finally out of that place. She must be feeling very insecured…

 

“....... should I even live on…?” Shijimi spoke with shivering voice.

 

She’s… crying…?

 

My body moved closer to hers naturally, my right hand reached out for her chin, and pushed them up, my hands then brushed her hairs to the side. What I am seeing now, is a really pure yet despairing pair of eyes, the rays from her eyes are piercing into mine.

 

Her mentality, is still stucked at the age of twelve, yet she has been through much more than people of her age. Suddenly I’m feeling sympathy for this girl…

 

… I’m not supposed to have such feelings...

 

“......... Shijimi, since I’m the one who saved you, I’m not allowing you to die unless I agree. Understand??”

 

I didn’t want her to leave me yet…

 

“But… my presence will only bring troubles to you…”

 

“Did I say that? And if one day I do feel so, then I’ll be the one who will take your life. So don’t worry for me.”

 

I said that despite knowing I won’t feel so… Somehow I know I won’t....

 

“..............”

 

“Finish up your food, and I’ll bring you out to buy some clothes for you.”

 

I can’t probably let her wear my blood-stained clothes. And she would need some undergarments too… Right now she’s wearing a loose t-shirt, and her s are sort of visible to me. I believe she doesn’t realise that, after all, she’s still mentally a twelve year old…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: This is a chapter that develops the invisible bond that Shijimi and Semi has. It is an unexplainable feeling yet also an overwhelming feeling within them that can’t be controlled.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------