Chapter 24 - New Friendship(s)

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

Maki and I sat outside the room while Keito is treating Shijimi’s injuries. Keito’s eyes were filled with anger when I brought Shijimi here again. It’s all my fault… I have been making Shijimi going through unnecessary sufferings…

 

It is the first time… I felt so helpless and incapable. I can’t even protect a girl I love.

 

“Ryosuke…”

 

“.............. I said before, call me by Semi.” I spoke without even looking at Maki.

 

“.................... Semi… I know you’re angry with me… But believe me… This was really an accident! I… I was going to fall down the hills so Nana saved me and fell down instead…”

 

“............. Maki… I don’t know whether to trust your words, or even your tears anymore… Shijimi is innocent, even if she isn’t around, I still wouldn’t fall in love with you. Why did you have to drag her down?!?!”

 

“..................... Because… I was lonely… I… I wanted love… Nana said… she would give me love as a friend… I was touched… I admit the previous incident was my plot, I banged myself on the table and framed it on Nana. But this time, I really didn’t mean it!! Please… trust me for one last time… Ok… Semi? I don’t want to lose you as a friend…”

 

“....................................... You better pray that Shijimi is fine then, else I won’t forgive you.”

 

My mind is getting messed up, I can’t think properly now… All the images that are now recurring in my mind are Shijimi’s weakened body, my fingertips could still feel the hotness from carrying her body…

 

*Clicks*

 

Keito is out!!

 

“Keito… How is Shijimi…?”

 

“......................... I don’t feel obligated to tell you. And, I’m definitely not returning her back to you this time round.”

 

“Keito… Please… tell me how are Shijimi’s injuries…” I held Keito’s arms tightly, as he was about to walk away.

 

“............. Keito… right?? I am Maki… Please… It’s all my fault… Please don’t blame it on Semi…” Maki joined in the conversation to stop Keito.

 

“................ I don’t care who’s at fault!!! I only care about the girl I love!!! She has done nothing wrong!! Why does she have to suffer like this?!?!”

 

…………………… He is right…… I can’t refute his words…

 

“Keito… please… you can do anything to me… As long as you don’t take Shijimi away from me… Please…” I was begging to Keito, I was really afraid of Shijimi leaving me…

 

“...................”

 

Before I could get any replies, I felt my body flying towards the wall, followed by intense sensations on my right cheeks. My body hit against the wall and fell to the ground, and I started to taste blood in my mouth.

 

While I am still in a state of shock, Keito came for me again, and gave me more punches. I remained still for him to vent his anger on me. It really is all my fault…

 

“Stop beating Semi!!!” Maki was heard shouting.

 

I could feel sensations around my body non-stop, yet they weren’t painful to me. What hurts me most now is my heart, which has been aching ever since I found Shijimi down the hill.

 

“KEITO!!! STOP BEATING SEMI!!!” I could still hear Maki’s shoutings.

 

Eventually I felt my strengthless body dropping on the ground. I could sense Keito coming for me again…

 

*Bangs*

 

A sound that sounded like an object hitting the ground was heard… And it was… coming from Shijimi’s room?!?!

 

Keito and I looked at each other, and we immediately dashed into Shijimi’s room one after another.

 

Upon entering, we saw Shijimi lying on the ground, she was trying to stand up but she didn’t have the strength to.

 

“Nana!! Are you alright?!?!” Keito rushed up to carry Shijimi back onto the bed before I get to.

 

While I… find it hard to move my body… I felt guilty for making Shijimi suffer…

 

“Keito… it’s… … not ... … fault……” Shijimi’s voice was so soft and weak that it was difficult to be heard.

 

“Nana… what did you say…?”

 

“It’s… not… Semi’s fault… It’s not… Semi’s fault… It’s not…” Shijimi repeated her words non-stop, she was… still siding me in front of Keito…

 

“Okok, Nana I got it!!”

 

“Don't beat… Semi…”

 

…………… She's really a silly girl… I can't let her down anymore…

 

“Nana, I just got angry… Because of him, you kept getting injured…”

 

“Keito… This time round I fell down by myself… Really…”

 

“............” Keito didn't speak further.

 

“Maki… are you alright…?” After Keito, Shijimi is now talking to Maki…

 

“Nana… I’m fine… Thank you for saving me… And sorry… I…”

 

“Maki… we’re friends already right? Then let's forget about what has already happened… Hold my hands…” Shijimi stretched out her hands which was shivering badly.

 

“....... Nana…” Maki held it right away, tightly…

 

“Oh yes, Keito, how is Nana’s injuries? You have yet to tell us.” Maki turned to look at Keito again.

 

“....... She has minor external injuries on her head, and the fractured bones in her legs are slightly serious, but it should recover in weeks.”

 

I felt relieved upon hearing that.

 

I was… so scared…

 

“Nana, I’ll leave Semi to you. Keito, let’s get out.” Maki was dragging Keito out of the room.

 

“What?!?! I don’t…” Keito was refusing to leave.

 

“Be obedient!!! I’ll treat you some cakes!!” Maki was trying her best to leave Shijimi and me alone.

 

“I don't want!!!” Keito was still arguing with Maki as he got dragged out of the room forcefully by Maki.

 

“Hehe… Semi… Maki and Keito looks like they can become good friends, don't you think so…?” Shijimi smiled at me and said.

 

“......... Silly Shijimi… I was worried to death…” My hands went up to caress her face, the face of the person I would only love…

 

“Sorry… Semi…”

 

“No… don't apologize… How’s your fever…?” I tried to measure her temperature with my hands.

 

“It went down already…”

 

“....... Don't lie to me… You still feel hot, come, lie down…”

 

“Semi… I’ll be fine… So don't worry anymore ok…?”

 

…….. I was trying hard to control my tears… I am thankful for Shijimi’s love for me… I really am…

 

“Alright… take a sleep… I’ll be here…”

 

“Semi… I love you…”

 

…………… I moved myself and gave Shijimi a light kiss…

 

“Shijimi… I love you too…”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I fetched Shijimi home two days later. When I was about to leave house to buy food, I was obstructed by Maki and Keito at the entrance of my door.

 

“Semi, I’m coming in.” Maki said while entering.

 

“Bastard, I’m coming in too.” Followed by Keito.

 

………. What is happening?

 

“Nana, how are you?!?!”

 

“Ah Maki!! I’m fine… Did you come to visit me?”

 

“Yeah!”

 

“Nana, me too!”

 

“Ah Keito came too!!”

 

………. The three of them continued their conversations, ignoring my presence and leaving me stranded alone standing.

 

“Nana, I bought ingredients to cook you some meals, as far as I know, Semi is a bento-freak, he can't cook for goodness sake. You need some proper nutrition, I’ll cook my best dishes for you!!”

 

…………….. DId Maki just call me a bento-freak?!?!

 

………. But… she’s right… The only food ingredient I buy is clams… And I buy them not to cook miso soup or whatever. I just place them in the bowl and stare at them…

 

“Nana, I’ll make some food for you too. I’m not as useless as that bastard.”

 

..……. Another one is shaming me… I could feel my eyes rolling...

 

“Hahaha! Maki and Keito, thank you! And, don’t make fun of Semi anymore, he looks so sad now.”

 

“.................... Shijimi, I’m fine…” I couldn’t defend for myself as I have indeed been buying take-outs for Shijimi ever since I met her from the start.

 

“Hey Keito!! Come help me with the cooking!!”

 

“Who are you to order me around?!?!”

 

“Don’t be such a whiner!”

 

“Who are you calling a whiner?!?!”

 

Maki and Keito was bickering with each other non-stop as they start to prepare the food. Shijimi was looking at them amusingly with a wide smile on her face.

 

As for me?

 

While I am amazed at what is happening at my house now, I was attracted to Shijimi’s smiles, looking at her smiles calms me down. My apartment has become so lively for the first time ever since I started living alone. The scene that I am currently looking at, was something that I had never thought will happen.

 

It’s all thanks to Shijimi… She has changed my life completely by bringing in so much warmth and joy… I swear, she would be the only person who could create such miracles...

 

“Semi? Come over here…” Shijimi turned to look at me and stretched out her hands.

 

I walked over without any hesitations and sat beside her.

 

Next moment, Shijimi patted me on my head, “don’t be sad over not being able to cook ok? I’ll learn and cook for you from now on.”

 

“................ Shijimi…… you’re seriously silly…… But…… thank you...”

 

Shijimi showed me a wide smile with her curved up and glittering eyes.

 

Probably I was affected by her, I smiled back widely in return.

 

I think…

 

I have found the meaning of living…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Something sweet to end the chapter! <3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------