Chapter 52 - The Last Kiss

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 52 - The Last Kiss

 

Semi’s POV

 

After Shijimi is back home, we tried to live our lives as per how we were previously, as we believed that was what Shijimi wanted us to be.

 

During the days at home, when Shijimi’s health was good, she could sit up and eat some food, but when it got bad, she could only lie on the bed with frowns from the pain she was suffering from. We all took turns to look after her twenty-four seven.

 

Days passed after days…

 

And then…

 

Tomorrow is going to be Rika’s junior high school entrance day.

 

“Semi…”

 

“Yes?” I sat beside the bed, holding onto Shijimi’s hands, as I listened to what she was going to say.

 

“Can you… bring me out tomorrow?”

 

“......... You want to send Rika to school?”

 

“...... Hehe… yes… and…”

 

“........ and…?”

 

“I want to see the sakura… They have bloomed already, right?”

 

“Yeah… Sleep early tonight then, I’ll bring you out tomorrow.”

 

Somehow I could sense it…

 

This would probably…

 

Be the last…

 

The next day, Shijimi woke up really early, and got Maki to dress her up. She wore the set of new clothes we got for her when she was discharged from the hospital, and put on make-up.

 

She looks as pretty as usual…

 

No…

 

She looks exceptionally pretty today…

 

I put her on the wheelchair, and together, the two of us sent Rika to her school.

 

“Mama, I will go in then, wait for me to come home ok?”

 

“Ok! Rika, I’ll wait for you to come back and tell me about your new school, ok?”

 

“Ok! Bye, Papa and Mama! I love both of you!!”

 

I could see Shijimi’s watery eyes and her smiles as she bidded goodbye to Rika.

 

On the way back home, I brought Shijimi for a stroll along the streets whereby the sakura trees are blooming at their most beautiful moment.

 

“Semi, push me over there.”

 

“Ok.”

 

“Semi, you take a seat too, I’ll like to enjoy the scenery for a little while more.”

 

I realized there was a bench near me, that was why Shijimi wanted me to push her here…

 

I kept quiet while enjoying the sakura flowers with Shijimi, the silence between us was understood…

 

I found Shijimi’s side face really pretty as I looked at her enjoying the scenery.

 

My eyes were on her for the whole time we were together, I could see nothing else but her…

 

Or rather…

 

I am feeling fear that I won’t get to see such a side of her anymore…

 

Her big eyes, her sharp nose, her red lips…

 

I find myself moving forward, getting nearer to Shijimi’s face…

 

“Shijimi…”

 

“Hmm…?” Shijimi turned back to face me as soon as she heard me.

 

I moved myself naturally towards Shijimi and gave her a kiss.

 

Despite knowing that Shijimi’s last wish was to have my kiss, and up till now I was being so reluctant to kiss her because I was afraid that she would leave me after her last wish was fulfilled.

 

I just...

 

Couldn’t control myself to kiss her…

 

I love her…

 

I love her so much…

 

I left her lips after the gentle kiss I gave her.

 

The next moment, I see Shijimi smiling at me sweetly, “Semi… thank you…”

 

I couldn’t control myself, and went up to give her another kiss.

 

A much deeper kiss…

 

Shijimi sounded like she was speaking her last words…

 

Which makes me feel so insecure now…!!!

 

I want to feel Shijimi…!!!

 

I want to ensure that she is still with me…!!!

 

I couldn’t leave her lips, I...

 

“...... ugh……”

 

…… Shijimi…?

 

Shijimi was making some noise while I was kissing her…

 

…!!! Did I overstrain on Shijimi’s health?!?!

 

I quickly let go of Shijimi, and saw that her face had turned very pale and was panting heavily.

 

“Shijimi, sorry!! I… I didn’t mean it…!!”

 

“Don’t…… apologise…… Semi…… I… I… understand…… I’m… fine…” Shijimi squeezed out a weak smile while still feeling uncomfortable.

 

Crap… What am I doing…?

 

I……

 

Can’t take it...

 

“Shijimi…… Won’t you… take me with you…?”

 

“............. Semi…… Have you forgotten about Rika…? If you are gone, what is going to happen to her…? And… to be honest… I’m afraid to leave too… Once I leave… I’ll be all alone again… I might get… forgotten as well...”

 

“............ Shijimi…… I can promise you, I won’t forget you… You cannot forget about me too, ok? Once my time is up, I’ll go over to find you… Till then… wait for me…”

 

“Semi… have you forgotten what I’ve said…? I’m the one who will come and fetch you… So… when you see me, make sure you give me the best smile you have… Ok…?”

 

Shijimi said with an adorable smile, she looks really captivating at this moment, I feel like I am looking at…

 

An angel…

 

“Shijimi… sure… I’ll give you the most handsome smile I have…”

 

My hands moved up to caress the face of this woman of my life…

 

Her face was feeling cold from the wind…

 

“It’s getting cold… Let’s go home…”

 

“Ok…”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After bringing Shijimi back home, I placed her on the bed.

 

“Shijimi, are you feeling cold?”

 

“Yeah… a little…”

 

“I’ll go get more blankets.”

 

“Semi…”

 

“Hmm…?”

 

“There isn’t a need… Just… stay ‘here’ with me…” Shijimi was pointing to the space where I sleep.

 

………………………

 

Shijimi didn’t change at all……

 

I remembered she did this before too…

 

“Silly Shijimi…”

 

I smiled, and went on to lie beside Shijimi, embracing her in my arms, trying to give her as much warmth as possible…

 

And probably I was also...

 

Trying to feel her warm…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: The last moment… for Shijimi and Semi...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------