Chapter 23 - You’re Not Alone

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Maki’s POV

 

I can't believe even after I said I am going to commit suicide, Ryosuke still refuses to meet me. Does he really love Nana so much?!?! I am kind of envy of Nana, how did she manage to get Ryosuke’s love and not me?!?!

 

I went to Ryosuke’s apartment building and sent him another message. I was hoping to see him leaving his apartment so that I can go confront Nana again.

 

Ryosuke dashed out shortly after I sent the message, I felt relieved… At least, he still cares for me…?

 

After making sure that Ryosuke has left for quite a distance, I went into the apartment to approach Nana again.

 

I knocked on the door anxiously, Nana opened the door shortly after.

 

“Nana!!! Ryosuke has met into troubles!!”

 

“Maki?!?! Semi… what happened to him?!?!”

 

“I saw him being captured when I passed by here!! Quick!! Come with me to save him!!!”

 

“But… he was going to find you… How did he get captured?!?!”

 

“I wasn't really going to commit suicide, I just wanted to see if he still cares for me, so I was waiting downstairs watching if he was going to find me… And I saw him getting captured instead… Sorry… Nana… it’s my fault…!!!” I started tearing…

 

“Maki… Don’t cry, let’s go save Semi!!!”

 

I smirked in my heart. This girl is really too naive to be deceived.

 

With my car, I drove to a hill located at some outskirts of Tokyo.

 

“Maki, where are we going?!?! Do you know where Semi could have been captured?!?!”

 

“Nana, I detected Ryosuke’s phone’s GPS and is following it now.” Of course I wasn't, idiot lady.

 

After stopping near to the cliff of the hill, I alighted, and Nana followed after that.

 

“Maki, where is Semi?!?! There is nothing here…”

 

“Nana, haven't you realized? I wasn't planning to bring you to Ryosuke in the first place.”

 

“You… lied to me…?”

 

“Don't blame me, blame it on your stupidness.”

 

“I see… That's great…”

 

…………… What did she just said?!?!

 

“What is ‘great’…?”

 

“Because it means your target is me, and Semi is fine somewhere right? That itself is a piece of good news to me…” Nana was revealing an innocent smile, a smile that is so glaring, and something that I can’t seem to hate…

 

“Are you stupid?!?! Haven't you not sensed danger on yourself? I am a professional killer as well, I can take your life anytime!”

 

“Maki, like what you have just said, you are a professional killer, if you had really wanted me dead, it would have been an easy job for you, you don’t have to bring me here. And in the first place, my life was something taken away since long ago. Semi was the one who saved me, and gave me another life to live on. I am satisfied with the happy moments I have had with Semi, even if it was only for a short period... I wouldn't dare to hope for more. As long as Semi is fine, I don't care for what would happen to me.”

 

“...............”

 

I went speechless for a while. She isn't as stupid as I thought to be.

 

“And I do feel bad for taking Semi away from you. If I wasn't around, maybe Semi might treat you nicer. You must have went through some difficult past as well, right?”

 

“Then, return Ryosuke to me…”

 

“Maki… Sorry… I can't… Unless Semi tells me that he doesn't need me around anymore, I’ve decided I won't leave him… I want to stay by his side and protect him...”

 

“Then what's the point of all these conversations?!?!”

 

Nana started walking towards me, I moved slightly backwards, but she grabbed my hands and pulled me towards her.

 

……………...

 

Nana is hugging me?!?!

 

“What are you…!!!”

 

“Maki, I want to be your friend… You might not be able to get the love you had wanted, but I can give you a different love, a love from a friend. You must have been lonely all these while, right?”

 

“...............”

 

What is this feeling…?

 

My mind is asking me to push her away, but my body isn't listening. Her words are sincere, it has been so long since I have heard such sincere words… I have been living in a world full of lies and betrayals, I am getting so tired of humans…

 

But… right now I am receiving warmth from this girl, a girl whom I should be hating… Yet is also the girl who is willing to embrace me for who I am…

 

Can I… accept this warmth…?

 

“You are seriously stupid, do you think you can change my mind with all these lies?!?!”

 

I came back to reality and pushed Nana away, trying to reject her.

 

“Maki, I really am stupid, I haven't been to school since I was twelve, I know nothing about this world in the last ten years, because I was been kept by a guy who bought me as a slave. I am so stupid I don’t even know how to lie. What I am speaking are the true words from the bottom of my heart.”

 

………….. She was a slave…?

 

“Somehow… I can feel your loneliness… Can I…have the chance to be your friend…?”

 

Her eyes are speaking truthfully, and that makes me feel relaxed. For some reason I came to understand why Ryosuke fell head over heels for her.

 

“..................... You’re really stupid…”

 

“Maki… You said the same thing as Semi…” Nana gave me a smile, a sincere smile…

 

“................... You might regret being my friend, I am not a simple person to begin with, and…”

 

“No problem!!! I can accept everything of you!!! As long as you give me a chance to be your friend…”

 

This stupid, naive, and innocent girl… Yet is one who is able to touch my heart so easily...

 

“Maki, hold my hands, you’re not alone anymore…”

 

Nana stretched out her hands, waiting for mine to hold onto.

 

Looking at her smiles, my hands naturally started moving by itself, followed by my legs...

 

“Ahh!!” The soil was soft, and I felt my legs slipping down, !! I’m going to fall down the hill!!!

 

“MAKI!!!!” Nana screamed my name.

 

“NANA!!”

 

I closed my eyes preparing for the fall, but I felt someone pulling my hands, and then my body was moving upwards instead of falling behind. Next moment, I opened my eyes, and saw myself lying on the ground…

 

Nana…

 

Where is she?!?!

 

DID SHE PULL ME UP?!?!

 

I rushed to the cliff and looked down, I saw Nana lying motionless at the lower part of the hill!!!

 

“NANA!!!!!”

 

Nana… She… She saved me… And fell down…… She saved someone despicable like me…

 

WHY?!?!

 

I need to save her…

 

*Drips*

 

I felt droplets hitting the top of my palms, I looked up, and saw raindrops which are falling down heavily and massively.

 

!!!

 

WHY DID IT HAD TO RAIN AT SUCH A TIME?!?!?!

 

I was about to get down the hill but my phone rang at this moment.

 

……………. It was Ryosuke……

 

I picked up the phone…

 

“MAKI!!! WHERE ARE YOU?!?!? IS SHIJIMI WITH YOU?!?!”

 

“Ryo… Nana…”

 

“MAKI!!! YOU BETTER TELL ME WHERE SHIJIMI IS, RIGHT NOW!!!!” Ryosuke sounded really furious… This is the first time I am hearing Ryosuke getting so angry…

 

“Ryosuke… Nana… She… Fell off the hills…”

 

“WHAT?!?!”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Semi’s POV

 

I went to where Maki said she was at, but she wasn’t there. I searched around but still couldn't trace her signs.

 

, did she lie to me again?!?!

 

I rushed back home, and find that Shijimi isn’t home!!

 

!!! Maki must have brought Shijimi away!!!

 

I called Maki a few times but the reception was bad so I couldn't connect the call.

 

*RINGSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*

 

!!! My ear!!!!

 

Why is it ringing now?!?!

 

………………

 

Did something bad happened to Shijimi……?

 

I tried to withstand the ringing in my ear, and continued calling Maki.

 

Finally the call gets connected, Maki’s voice was trembling when she first picked up the phone.

 

“MAKI!!! YOU BETTER TELL ME WHERE SHIJIMI IS, RIGHT NOW!!!!” I shouted even louder, I am not giving in anymore, not at the expense of Shijimi’s safety.

 

“Ryosuke… Nana… She… Fell off the hills…”

 

“WHAT?!?!”

 

WHAT DID I JUST HEAR?!?!

 

I quickly rushed to where Shijimi and Maki are, when I reached, it was raining heavily, and the sky was getting dark. I finally spotted where Maki is after searching for a while.

 

“MAKI!!! WHERE’S SHIJIMI?!?!”

 

“Nana… She fell off… here…” Maki pointed to where Shijimi fell.

 

I have no time to ask Maki what happened, right now, saving Shijimi is more important. I rushed to the cliff and was trying to walk down the hill, but the rain was making the soil soggy, I couldn’t walk well.

 

“Ryosuke!! Be careful!!”

 

“Maki!! Drive the car to the bottom of the hill!!”

 

“Ah… Ok!! I’ll wait for you there!!!”

 

I was searching for Shijimi’s trace, and finally saw her lying just before a tree. ! Her body must have hit the tree! I couldn’t waste time walking down slowly anymore, I rolled my body down the hill, and reached for Shijimi.

 

“Shijimi!!!” I turned Shijimi’s body over, her body was burning hot, and her head was bleeding badly.

 

I felt my heart beating in a motion it never had before, I was scared, I was panting heavily, Shijimi… Nothing should happen to her!!!

 

“Shijimi!!! I’m Semi!!! I’m here!!! Hang on!!! You’ll be fine!!!”

 

I carried Shijimi’s feverish and weak body up, walking further down the hill to the main road, and saw Maki’s car. I boarded her car and got her to drive us to Keito.

 

Shijimi… Shijimi…!!!

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Seems like Maki is feeling a little remorseful of her actions, but will Semi forgive her for what she did to Shijimi?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------