Chapter 29 - Bloody Parcel

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

Arghh…? I opened my eyes and saw Shijimi’s face.

 

“Shijimi… Why are you doing…?”

 

“Semi… did you forget what happened earlier?”

 

“hmm…? Ah…!!”

 

Oh yes, I had a nightmare, Shijimi woke me up to calm me down… and…?

 

“Semi, are you alright? Your fever has went down already but how do you feel right now?”

 

“Ah… Shijimi, I’m fine… and did I fall asleep again after I woke up earlier?”

 

“Yeah… Semi, you fell asleep in my arms. And you were holding onto my hands till now.”

 

“Ah!!! Sorry, you couldn't sleep because of me right?”

 

“No, Semi, I’m still very energetic! I’ll go make some simple breakfast for you now. Hehe.”

 

“Don't force yourself, you have panda eyes now.”

 

“Hehe, no worries, I’ll be done fast! You lie on the bed for a while more, ok?”

 

Stubborn girl… I thought…

 

*Knocks*

 

Hmm…? Someone is knocking the door, is that Maki and Keito again?

 

“Semi! I’ll go get the door, you stay still!”

 

“Ah… ok…”

 

I heard the door closed shortly after.

 

“Shijimi, who is it?”

 

“Oh Semi, it’s a parcel for you.” Shijimi walked over to my side with the parcel.

 

“Parcel? Who sent me a parcel?”

 

“Hmm ah! It’s Iwanishi.”

 

“What is that guy up to?” I started tearing the parcel wrapper, but it was very tightly sealed.

 

“Semi, let me cut open with a knife.”

 

“Alright, you can help me take a look of what he sent too.”

 

“Ok!”

 

Shijimi went to the table and cut opened the parcel.

 

“AHHHHHHH!!!!!!” Shijimi screamed suddenly and fell on the floor sitting down.

 

“Shijimi?!?! What happened???” I got off the bed and went up to check on her.

 

“Semi… that…” Shijimi pointed to the parcel on the table.

 

“...........” I stood up and see what was inside the parcel…

 

!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

 

It contained clams…

 

which are…

 

Covered in blood...

 

I could tell it is blood because of the stench.

 

Why did Iwanishi send this?!?!

 

……………

 

Wait… was it really Iwanishi who did it? Why would he put his name if he wanted to send me this?!?! If it's not him, then who could it be…?

 

“Semi… why would someone send you this…?”

 

“...... I’m not sure… I’ll go find Iwanishi later on.”

 

Clams… Blood…

 

I sensed some evil aura from the parcel…

 

-------------------------------------------

 

I sent Shijimi to Maki’s place before heading to Iwanishi’s apartment as I am afraid that Shijimi would be in danger if I left her alone.

 

At Iwanishi’s Apartment

 

“Hello Semi!! Did you recall who was the guy you killed yesterday?”

 

“Yeah… He’s someone you should know too.”

 

“Hmm….?”

 

“He’s Shijimi’s father, the one who have asked you to sell her away ten years ago.”

 

“Huh??? Was he that guy??? I totally couldn't recognise him!!”

 

“It’s fine, he’s dead anyway.”

 

“........ Did you tell your Shijimi about it?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“I see… Have a seat. I’ll pass you the money. And what's that you’ve been holding in your hands?”

 

“Take a look inside, Iwanishi.”

 

“What is it…? …………… AHHHH!!! WHAT'S THIS?!?!”

 

“Close the lid of the box and look at the sender’s name.”

 

Iwanishi did as I asked him to.

 

“.........!!!!! SEMI!!! IT’S NOT ME!!! I WOULD NEVER DO SUCH THING!!! BELIEVE ME!!”

 

“Calm down. I never say you did it and I guess you wouldn’t have the courage to do this as well.”

 

“Semi… we must find out who did this, this person must be trying to ruin our relationship.”

 

“That’s why I am here to find you. I wonder is someone seeking me for a revenge, after all I’ve killed so many people.”

 

“But even if that’s so, Semi, don’t you feel there’s a hidden message in the parcel?”

 

“............ You mean… Clams… Covered in blood… Right?”

 

“Yeah, of all things, why did the sender choose to send clams? I think…”

 

“...............” I sensed what Iwanishi was about to say, that’s what I’ve been thinking as well.

 

“The person must have known of your Shijimi’s existence, and that Shijimi is very important to you.”

 

“......... Iwanishi… I’m sorry for this again, but can you help me? I can’t… I can’t allow anything to happen to Shijimi…”

 

“....... Leave it to me, I’m pissed that this person even made use of my name too.”

 

“Thanks… Iwanishi…”

 

I left Iwanishi’s apartment and head to Maki’s place to fetch Shijimi home.

 

Upon reaching Maki’s place, I heard some screaming coming from her apartment.

 

!! DID ANYTHING HAPPEN??

 

“MAKI!!! SHIJIMI!!!” I knocked on the door vigorously.

 

No one is opening the door… ! I was about to use my body to bang open the door,

 

“Ah! Semi! You’re here!” Maki opened the door,

 

“AHH!!” I got a shock seeing her, her face was covered in white powders.

 

“Maki, what happened to you??”

 

“Ah! Semi!! Come in!!!” I heard Shijimi’s voice, and saw her coming to the door, and her face was covered in white powders too.

 

“Shijimi! You too!! What happened to both of you??”

 

“Oh Semi, we were trying to bake a cake. And we ended up messing up the kitchen. Hahaha!!”

 

“Yeah! Nana! You’re too clumsy!!”

 

“What??? Maki, you were the one who messed up the procedures…”

 

“What did you say?!?! I’m going to punish you!!”

 

“Ahh!!! Semi!! Help me!!!”

 

Maki and Shijimi started playing and fighting with each other.

 

Phew, I’m glad nothing has happened.

 

I waited for them to finish baking the cake, meanwhile I was still feeling worried over the parcel…

 

“Semi… Are you alright?? You were in deep thoughts…” Shijimi came up to me.

 

“Hmm… I’m fine…”

 

“....... Semi… You asked me not to hide anything from you, yet you are hiding from me…”

 

“.......... Shijimi… I…”

 

“Nana, one look at him you know that he’s worried for you.”

 

“Semi… I’m fine now, isn’t it…?”

 

“Shijimi… I’m indeed worried for you… I think someone is seeking revenge on me… And that person might harm you as a revenge against me.”

 

“......... Semi, you’re thinking too much…”

 

“No Nana, he isn’t. The contents in the parcel isn’t a coincidence, why did that person send clams to Semi? Moreover, the clams were even covered in fresh blood. That person is warning Semi that he wants you, Shijimi, to be covered in blood too.”

 

“............!!!! It can’t be...” Shijimi got a shock after listening to Maki’s explanation.

 

“Shijimi, that’s what Iwanishi and I felt too. From now on, don’t leave my sight, ok?”

 

“............ Ok… Semi…”

 

“Yeah, Nana, you can come over to my place if Semi is not around and Semi, have you got any idea who could be doing this?”

 

“Maki, you know of our occupation, it’s easier for us to make enemies than friends.”

 

“............... I guess so too…”

 

“Don’t get so depressed!! Let’s have some cakes first!!!”

 

“Shijimi, why aren’t you worried?”

 

“............ Because…… I have the world’s best killers protecting me, I’ll be fine!!!” Shijimi showed us her wide smile again.

 

“............ Silly Shijimi……”

“............ Silly Nana…….”

 

Maki and I spoke at the same time to this silly girl.

 

I guess there is nothing much we can do but to be more careful from now onwards...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: What Semi feared most is slowly coming to haunt him… Does Shijimi really look so relaxed and not worrying about something happening to her?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------