Chapter 43 - Relapse

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 43 - Relapse

 

Semi’s POV

 

For the next few years, we led simple yet satisfying lives. We see Rika growing up as time passes by, she is getting prettier and starting to look like Shijimi even more. She also participates in a lot of drawing competitions and has won a lot of prizes as well.

 

In a few months’ time, she will graduate from elementary school.

 

“Papa!! I’m participating in this competition!!”

 

“Oh? What do you need to draw this time?”

 

“It’s a secret!!! But I need to go to a beautiful place to draw for my background, can you and Mama bring me?”

 

“Beautiful place? And why are you being so secretive of what you are going to draw? You’re getting more and more mischievous huh.” I pinched Rika’s nose gently.

 

“Ouch!! Papa!! Don't be so impatient!! I’ll show you after I finish drawing!!”

 

“That's a deal. You said you need beautiful scenery right…? It’s autumn now, how about a scenery with maple leaves? The park near your school seems good.”

 

“Oh!!! Yes!!! Let’s go there tomorrow!!”

 

I smiled at this energetic girl.

 

The next day, Shijimi and I brought her to the park for her to draw.

 

“Ok!! Papa!! You sit here!! And Mama!! You sit here!!” Rika was giving us instructions on where to sit.

 

“Hmm…? Rika, are you drawing us?”

 

“Yes, I mean NO!! Mama!! Don't ask so much!! Just stay still!!”

 

“haha~ okok we’ll stay still.”

 

Rika moved some distance away and started her drawing.

 

“Ne, Semi, do you think Rika is drawing us?”

 

“I bet she is, she has given herself away just now too.”

 

“Haha~ I can't wait to see what she’ll draw.”

 

“Papa!! Mama!! Don't move your heads!!!” Rika was shouting at us.

 

“Ah okok sorry!!”

 

Shijimi and I stayed still for Rika to finish her drawing.

 

……………………………………….……..

 

“I’m done!!”

 

“Oh?? Show me!!” I ran up to Rika but she quickly hid her drawing from me.

 

“No! Papa!! I still need to colour it!!”

 

“Just give me a look won't hurt right?” I was pouting.

 

“No!! Wait for a while more!!”

 

“Rika… you’re getting naughtier…!! I’m catching you!!” I started chasing after Rika and she started running away from me.

 

“Nooo!!! Mama!!! Save me!!!”

 

“No use!! I’ve caught you!!” I caught Rika in my arms effortlessly.

 

“Mama!! Come and save me!!! Hahahaha~!!!” Rika was laughing from my tickling.

 

“Haha ok!! I’m coming to save you!!”

 

We turned to look at Shijimi together.

 

She was all smiles…

 

She looks really pretty with the beautiful red maple leaves in the background. Somehow, I can't wait to see how Rika’s drawing would turn out to be…

 

We stayed still while waiting for Shijimi to walk over.

 

…………...………….

 

Hmm…??? Why isn't Shijimi moving…??

 

I squint my eyes to take a closer look.

 

Hmm…??

 

Shijimi is covering her nose...

 

Is she nose-bleeding……?

 

“Shijimi……?”

 

The next moment, I saw Shijimi losing her body strength and falling to the ground.

 

“SHIJIMI!!!!!!!”

 

I quickly dashed up to Shijimi’s side and carried her in my arms,

 

“Shijimi?? Shijimi!!”

 

There was a lot of blood flowing out of Shijimi’s nose, and she wasn’t reacting to my callings.

 

“Mama… MAMA!!!!”

 

“Rika, don’t be afraid, I’ll call for the ambulance now.”

 

I need to stay calm, call for the ambulance now…!!

 

The ambulance came in minutes, and we got on it immediately and headed to the nearest hospital.

 

Shijimi remained unconscious the whole time we were in the ambulance.

 

“Shijimi…… don’t scare us……” I was holding onto her hands tightly, her icy cold hands…

 

We reached the hospital and they pushed Shijimi into a room to diagnose the reason for her collapse. Rika and I are waiting anxiously outside the room.

 

“Semi!! What happened to Nana?” Keito and his family came shortly after I informed them about Shijimi.

 

“Ah, Keito, Shijimi… She fainted suddenly with heavy nose-bleeding… The doctors are diagnosing her now…”

 

“Auntie Maki!! Mama… Mama…!!” Rika started tearing, I guess she has been suppressing herself since the moment she witnessed her mother faint.

 

“Rika, Auntie Maki is here… Don’t be afraid, Mama will be fine… Ok?”

 

I am glad Maki is around to help me comfort Rika, not only the fact that they are both female, but also my inability to comfort her, as my mind is still in a state of mess after witnessing Shijimi’s collapse.

 

“Semi, are you alright? Calm down, Nana and Rika still need you to stay strong.”

 

“Thanks Keito… I know… I know I need to stay strong… But… I cannot forget how Shijimi looked just now, the blood from her nose stained her pale face, my hands… My hands could feel how weak she was earlier… Nothing should happen to her… Nothing…….!!”

 

“Semi, calm down, we’re here to go through this with you, don’t panic, ok?”

 

*Clicks*

 

AH!!! The doors opened!!

 

“Doctor!! How is my wife??”

 

“....... You’re her husband? Your wife had a brain tumour removal surgery previously, right?”

 

“Yes, she had the surgery around six years ago.”

 

“I see. Based on my initial diagnosis, she might be having a relapse. We need to carry out a more detailed check to confirm the diagnosis.”

 

“....... Relapse…… What do you mean by relapse…?” My heart is pumping very badly now…

 

“....... There might be a new tumour that is growing in her head. We are arranging her to go for a CT scan now. Please wait for the reports of the scan to be out.”

 

“............ New tumour…?? But she just had a checkup last month and it was all fine!! How did this happen suddenly?!?!”

 

“Semi!! Calm down!!! Let’s wait for the CT scan report first, ok?” Keito stopped me from getting even more agitated.

 

“Yes, the report will be out tomorrow, please kindly wait till then. You can go in to visit your wife after her CT scan is done.”

 

“Thank you Doctor.”

 

………………………

 

Why……?

 

Why did this have to happen……?

 

When I was only hoping to have a simple life with Shijimi and Rika……

 

Why is this happening……?

 

No……..

 

Shijimi……

 

You can’t leave me……

 

Not yet…...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: A relapse that took place right at the happiest time of their lives, will heaven once again bless Shijimi and Semi?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------