Chapter 9 - Fourteen Years Apart

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

The next morning, I went out to buy some food for Shijimi. This time round, I had Keito to help look after her in case she tries to run away again.

 

I came back in about an hour, when I entered the room, I saw Keito hugging Shijimi tightly.

 

“KEITO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!” I went up to them and pulled them apart.

 

“Shijimi, did he do anything to you??”

 

“NO!! Semi, calm down, you must have misunderstood.”

 

“HUH?!?! HOW COULD I?!?! I SAW WITH MY OWN EYES THAT HE WAS HUGGING YOU!!”

 

“Huh? Why are you calling her Shijimi? Her name is Nana!” Keito was interrupting my conversation with Shijimi.

 

“................. None of your business!!”

 

“Semi, calm down, when Keito came to check on my injuries just now, and we had a little chat. I found out that he’s actually my childhood friend! We couldn’t recognise each other at first because we last met each other fourteen years ago…”

 

“............... WHAT……” THE WORLD IS SMALL.

 

“Yeah, and why are you being so tensed up over Nana? I heard from Iwanishi that you’ve just known Nana for few days isn’t it?”

 

“..............” , what should I say…?

 

“Nana, I’m so sorry for what happened to you the past ten years… If only, I was in Japan when all these happened…”

 

“Keito, it’s not your fault… And you’ve saved me twice too, isn’t it?”

 

“But!! Whenever I think of the sufferings you had gone through… I can’t take it… And you’ve just undergo so many operations… Poor girl…”

 

Keito started to caress Shijimi’s face with both his hands.

 

UGHHHHH!!!

 

I felt my blood boiling… I can’t stand looking at this…

 

I can’t stand someone else touching Shijimi!!!

 

*RINGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*

 

UGHHH!!!!

 

“Semi!!”

 

ARRGH My ear…….!!!

 

Ah…...

 

It is…

 

fine…???

 

I opened my eyes, Shijimi had forced herself to stand up and caressed my ear.

 

That explains again why the ringing could stop so soon...

 

“Semi… are you alright??” Shijimi was looking at me with her pale face.

 

“I’m fine… Sit down, you shouldn’t exert on your body yet.”

 

“I’m fine… Keito, can you take a look at Semi’s ear? It seems that his ear rings very often.”

 

“There isn’t a need!” I shouted and ran out of the room.

 

I am angry, I am very pissed!!!

 

I don’t need anyone to diagnose the problem with my ear!!!

 

I have seen so many doctors and none of them could treat my ear!

 

Only Shijimi…

 

Only she can stop the ringings in my ear…

 

And yet she have just asked Keito to treat my ear…

 

……………………….

 

Semi, you are an idiot…

 

Shijimi meant it well for you right?

 

She doesn’t know that she is able to stop the ringing in your ear…

 

And why did I run out…?

 

I got a feeling, Shijimi won’t come back to me again…

 

Now that there’s Keito around, she would trust him more right?

 

He seems like he would take care of her too.

 

He can treat her injuries as well...

 

I am the odd one out…

 

Sigh…….

 

I sat on a bench by the roadside, laughing at my own stupidness…

 

*RINGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS*

 

UGHHHHHHH THIS EAR!!!

 

I want to cut it off!!!

 

ARRGHHH IT’S GETTING LOUDER AND LOUDER!!!

 

I CAN’T HEAR ANYTHING ELSE!!!
 

……………………..

 

AH, It is getting softer by itself…

 

It is recovering fast this time round…

 

“Semi!!!”

 

………… I could hear someone calling me…

 

I opened my eyes and looked up,

 

“.............. Shi…”

 

“Semi, are you alright??” Shijimi was panting heavily as she speaks.

 

“......... Shijimi…”

 

“AH!”

 

I stood up and hugged Shijimi tightly, I don’t want her to leave me…

 

“Semi… I’m sorry for earlier… Don’t get angry at me… ok?”

 

“.......... I’m not angry at you… Silly girl… I’m just… angry at myself…”

 

“......... Why…?”

 

“Because… I don’t want anyone else to touch you…”

 

“.......... What do you...mean…”

 

I felt Shijimi’s body getting heavier, I grabbed her body tightly, preventing her from falling down.

 

“SHIJIMI!!!”

 

“I’m… fine…” Shijimi was panting harder… , she must have over-exerted her body.

 

“I’ll bring you to Keito!!”

 

“No… Semi… Just bring us back to your home…” Shijimi grabbed my hands with her cold fingers.

 

“But!!!”

 

“I’m fine… Really…”

 

…………….

 

I carried Shijimi back to my place, and placed her on my bed.

 

“Shijimi, did you run out to look for me…?”

 

“.....um… I was worried for you…” Shijimi nodded her head as she lies on my bed.

 

“...... I… you don't have to worry for me… And didn't Keito stop you…?”

 

“He did, but of course he can't stop what I really want to do.”

 

“....... Maybe he’ll be a better person to look after you than me… I can't do anything except killings.” I felt a great sense of inferiority when I compare myself to Keito.

 

“Semi, weren't you the one who’ve asked me to live for your sake? If you don't want me anymore then I don't find the need to live on too.”

 

“Shijimi… you mean, you will stay by my side…?”

 

“Um… I find it weird too… When Keito asked me to move in with him this morning, my heart didn't want it. I want to stay with you instead…”

 

…………………...

 

Can I interpret this as I am not the only one holding special feelings towards Shijimi?

 

My hand went up to Shijimi’s hairs and her face...

 

I saw Shijimi’s hand moving as well, her hand came touching my left ear which is causing me troubles non-stop.

 

I grabbed her hand with my other hand,

 

“Shijimi, it's weird, every time my ear starts to ring, it will stop whenever you touch it…”

 

“....... Really? I did nothing… I just don't want you to reveal that painful face…”

 

“Maybe, you're the angel who’s able to save me from darkness…”

 

“In that case, am I the angel from the ‘shijimi’s world’?” Shijimi joked with me.

 

“Silly girl…” I tapped on her forehead gently, teasing her.

 

*KNOCKS*

 

Someone knocked on my door, who is it?

 

“Shijimi, I’ll go get the door.”

 

“Ok.”

 

I opened the door and saw Keito, he walked straight into my apartment without saying anything.

 

“Nana! How are you feeling?? Let me check your wounds!”

 

Keito went straight up to look at Nana’s wounds, ignoring my presence.

 

I have a bad feeling…...

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: A big news to Shijimi! The doctor friend of Iwanishi is actually Shijimi’s childhood friend?!?! Will this be the start of a triangular love relationship?!?! Stay tuned for more!!

 

X’mas is coming soon as well!! How is everyone doing? I’m really busy at work, and with this festive month I have really many things to do… XD I need more time!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------