Chapter 44 - I am Satisfied

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 44 - I am Satisfied

 

Semi’s POV

 

We went into Shijimi’s room to look at her after she had done her CT scan.

 

She looked really pale...

 

“Mama…… Rika is here…… Mama…”

 

“...... Rika… let Mama rest a little more, ok?” I stopped Rika from waking Shijimi up, despite wanting to see Shijimi waking up as well… But I thought I should let Shijimi rest more…

 

“............. Ri…… ka……”

 

“Shijimi…?”

 

“............. Se… mi……” Shijimi gradually opened her eyes, but she still looked very weak to me...

 

“Mama!!!”

 

“Shijimi…? How are you feeling?”

 

“I’m fine… Don’t worry…” Shijimi squeezed out a smile for us.

 

No… you don’t look fine to me……

 

“And… Rika, sorry, Mama must have scared you just now again right? Mama will be fine, don’t worry.”

 

“Mama, don’t worry about me too. I’ll go back and start painting the drawing I’ve drawn today and show you soon!!”

 

“Ok Rika, Mama can’t wait to see…!”

 

“Mama… You should go back to sleep, I will ask Auntie Maki and Uncle Keito to bring me home. Don’t worry for me, ok?”

 

……………. Rika is being so thoughtful as usual…

 

“Yeah Shijimi, rest your body for a little more, I’ll stay here with you.”

 

“Ok… Thanks, Keito, Maki…”

 

“No problem, Nana, rest well ok, I’ll bring Rika to visit you again tomorrow.”

 

Keito and Maki brought Rika home, leaving me alone with Shijimi.

 

“Semi… are you alright? You look pale…”

 

“Silly girl… Speaking of that, you look even more pale to me.”

 

“......... I’m fine……”

 

“....... Alright, sleep first, I’ll be here.”

 

“...... Semi… No matter what happens to me, I won't be afraid. I’ve had a lot of happiness from you and Rika already. I’m satisfied, very satisfied. I wouldn't dare to dream for more.”

 

I frowned.

 

“Shijimi! What are you talking about? I’m warning you… Don't you leave me so fast yet… Ok…?”

 

“....... Semi… I’ve got a feeling… It’s coming soon…”

 

“What is coming soon…?”

 

“...... The time I leave for elsewhere…”

 

“...... Shijimi… please… don't say such things. I beg you…”

 

*Drips*

 

……………..

 

My tears… started dripping on its own again...

 

“...... Semi… don't cry…”

 

“I can't… I don't want you to leave me… Shijimi…”

 

“...... Semi…”

 

Ah!!!

 

Warm…

 

Shijimi is giving me warmth from her embrace again…

 

“I promise you, I’ll do my best to fight against fate, till the very last moment of my life, I’ll fight for more time with you, even if it’s only one second. Ok?”

 

“....... Shijimi…”

 

I felt my shoulders getting wet…

 

Is Shijimi crying too?

 

Dear heaven…

 

Please…

 

Don’t take Shijimi away…

 

If you must…

 

Bring me along…

 

----------------------------------------------

 

The next day, the report of Shijimi’s CT scan is out. The doctor came in to tell us about the result.

 

“Miss Nana, according to the CT scan, it is confirmed that a new tumour has formed in your head.”

 

…………. What…

 

“Doctor, can you operate on her to remove the tumour again?”

 

“...... It is possible to. But…”

 

“But…?”

 

“Different from the previous time, this time the tumour cells are cancerous. And unfortunately those cells have already started spreading to various parts of your body. Even if we can remove the tumour from your brain, we can't remove the already widespread cancerous cells.”

 

“What?!?! Doctor, are you saying she has no cure?!?!”

 

“What we can do now is to slow down the spreading of cancerous cells.”

 

“.......... and…?”

 

What exactly does the doctor mean?!?!

 

“Doctor… how long more… Do I have…?”

 

“Shijimi!! What are you trying to ask?”

 

“Doctor, tell me the truth…”

 

“...... If the treatment works, maybe six months. If not…”

 

……………………!!!!

 

What?!?!?

 

Six months????

 

Or less…??

 

No….!!!!!!

 

The doctor finished his words and left the room. Leaving Shijimi and me alone again.

 

……………...…....

 

It was a piece of silence.

 

Both of us were shocked at what we have just heard.

 

……………………..

 

“Semi.”

 

I turned to look at Shijimi,

 

………!!!!

 

She was smiling at me…!!!

 

“Don't worry. I promised you I’ll fight against fate right? I will break through what the doctor has said. Instead of thinking we only have six months left, we should think that, we have six months more, right? I’ll have that much time to spend time with you and Rika.”

 

“....... Shijimi…… I…… I am selfish…… I want you to be with me forever…”

 

“...... Silly boy… I’ll not go elsewhere but move into your heart, ok? Then we can be together forever.”

 

“........ Shijimi…”

 

I hugged this strong girl in my arms tightly.

 

I can’t let anyone take her away from me…

 

No way I am allowing that to happen…

 

“Mama! I’m here!!” Maki has brought Rika here to visit Shijimi.

 

“Ah Rika!! Come here!” Shijimi stretched out her hands to hug Rika.

 

“Mama, are you going home with us today?”

 

“Hmm… Rika… Sorry… From tomorrow onwards, Mama will undergo treatment again, so I cannot go home yet…”

 

“Ah… Mama… is your health alright…?”

 

“Hmm… It is a little weak now, but I’ll get healthier after the treatment! So don’t worry ok? Listen to Papa, Uncle Keito and Auntie Maki, Mama will try to recover and go home soon.”

 

“Mama……” Rika seemed like she understood Shijimi’s words, and hugged her mother tightly...

 

While I… could only pray that the treatment would work on Shijimi…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: How is everyone? Coronavirus is changing our lifestyles greatly. I pray for everything to return to normal soon! Stay safe everyone!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------