Chapter 38 - Father and Daughter

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Chapter 38 - Father and Daughter

 

Semi’s POV

 

Ever since I am back, Shijimi’s health was improving day by day. The doctor told us that if her health continues to improve, he will be able to operate on her to remove the tumour from her brain.

 

As for Rika, she has been sticking to me all day long, her presence has made my life much more livier, I can’t believe I could actually enjoy such simple happiness…

 

Now what I wish for, is Shijimi’s recovery… I still haven’t given her a proper life yet, I can’t let her leave me…

 

I also heard from Shijimi that Keito and Maki married shortly after Rika was born, and gave birth to their son, Sho. Shijimi told me that they probably didn’t want to make Rika feel too lonely, therefore they planned to marry and have a child earlier, so that Rika would have a companion in her childhood life, to make up for a missing father.

 

Indeed, Rika and Sho relationship has been really close, I am really thankful for Keito and Maki for doing so much, despite me being such a bastard for leaving Shijimi behind while she was pregnant.

 

“Papa!!”

 

“Yes, Rika?”

 

“Are you bringing me to see Mama today?”

 

“Hmm… Ok, shall we make some food for Mama?”

 

“Ah Papa, you sure you can cook?”

 

“...... Rika, what do you mean…?”

 

“Mama said you once made curry rice for her and it was so spicy she cried!”

 

“Ah!!” This Shijimi… she has been telling everything about me to Rika… But… I’m not angry… Instead... I feel warmth… Because Rika remembers everything that Shijimi tells her...

 

“But no worries Papa! Mama taught me how to cook, so I can help you!”

 

“Mama…? She taught you how to cook?”

 

“Yes!! Mama wanted me to learn to cook, so that I can cook for Papa when you come back. Because Papa has lousy cooking skills. Hehe!!”

 

“...........” I smiled. Rika is indeed Shijimi’s daughter, they never fail to make me smile from the bottom of my heart.

 

While we are in the kitchen preparing the food, Rika held my hands suddenly.

 

“Papa…”

 

“...... Yes??”

 

“When can Mama come back home? I miss Mama…”

 

“.......................” I forgotten. Rika is still a soon to be five years old, although she is really happy that I am back, she is also seeing her mother lying on the hospital bed, not knowing that her mother is in critical condition.

 

“Papa…?”

 

“Rika, trust me, Mama will recover soon, Mama wants to be with us too, let’s pray together for Mama’s recovery, ok?”

 

“... Yes!!!” Rika revealed her wide and sweet smile, the smile that is so similar to Shijimi.

 

Shijimi… you must recover… for our sake…

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

We went to the hospital with our curry rice after we are done. When we entered the room, Shijimi was still sleeping.

 

“Papa, Mama is still sleeping, let’s wait for her to wake up.” Rika dragged me to sit on the sofa, she is as caring as her mother. I felt really relieved. Shijimi has brought up Rika really well.

 

“Rika, do you have the sketch book with you?”

 

Suddenly, I felt like I want to see Shijimi’s drawings, her drawings of myself…

 

“Yes Papa!!” Rika started digging her bag, taking out the sketch book and passing it to me.

 

I held the sketch book in my hands, I could feel it… I could feel Shijimi’s warmth just by holding onto it…

 

I started flipping the cover page…

 

I saw myself, a portrait of myself in smiles. I continued flipping, it was all portraits of me, in different angles, some of them with smiles, some of them without.

 

Yet…

 

All of them gives me a very comfortable feel. This is how Shijimi views me in her eyes. Each and every of the drawings, contains her love.

 

“Papa, each time Mama draws a new portrait of you for me, she will tell me a story about you. I always look forward to new drawings and listen to new stories about Papa!”

 

“Rika… Papa is sorry, for being away for so long.” I really am… If I knew Shijimi is pregnant, I wouldn't have left her five years back. I can't imagine how she had been through these all alone…

 

“Papa, it’s ok!! Mama and Rika-chan know you were away to do important things! We were always waiting hopefully for you to come back!”

 

“............ Rika…”

 

“Ah!! Papa! Mama is moving! She is waking up!!”

 

Rika rushed up to the bed, holding my hands with her.

 

“Mama!!”

 

“...... Ah… Rika… and Semi…”

 

“Shijimi… I brought Rika here to see you.”

 

“Yeah Mama!! Papa and me made curry rice for you!!!”

 

“Ah… really? Mama wants to eat!” Shijimi was trying to sit up on her bed, I quickly helped her to move her weak body.

 

“Shijimi, can you manage?”

 

“Yeah… I miss your curry rice… hehe~” Shijimi smiled saying that.

 

“Silly girl… I’ll feed you.”

 

I took out the curry rice, and fed Shijimi slowly.

 

“Mama, how is it?”

 

“Rika, it’s very nice!! You have some too!!”

 

“Papa!! Feed me too!!” Rika opened widely, waiting for me to feed her.

 

I fed her, it was the first time I was doing a proper role as a father… I am really touched…

 

“Umm!!! Delicious!!! Papa!! You should try too!!’ Rika snatched away my spoon and tried to feed me.

 

………………. I felt my nose become sourish… I want to tear…… I am….. feeling really touched……

 

“Semi……?”

“Papa……?”

 

Both of them spoke at the same time when I was stunned at what Rika was doing.

 

What a pair of mother and daughter…

 

I quickly opened my mouth over the spoon, and tasted the curry.

 

“How is it?”

“How is it?”

 

Both of them asked me with the same curious look on their face at the same time.

 

I giggled. They are really too cute!

 

“Delicious!!! It’s so delicious I feel like crying!!” I smiled with tears in my eyes.

 

I feel really fortunate…

 

I really do…

 

Dear heaven…

 

Can you…

 

Don't take Shijimi away from me…?

 

Please…

 

“Nana!!”

 

Someone came into the room shouting for Shijimi.

 

Ah, it’s Keito, Maki and Sho.

 

“Ah Keito, we are having curry rice, do you want to have some too?” Shijimi was offering my curry rice to Keito.

 

“Nana!! Good news!! You!!! You!!!” But Keito was being really excited that he couldn't speak properly.

 

“Keito, calm down, let me say it.” Maki patted on Keito’s back gently.

 

“Keito, Maki, what is it?” I got curious about what they are going to say as well.

 

“Nana, there's hope for Nana!! The doctor just told us the latest CT scan of Nana shows the tumour getting smaller! And it was moving to a place which is easier to operate on!! So Nana can undergo operations there few days!! The success rate has risen to 80%!!”

 

“........ Really?!?!?!” I couldn't hide my happiness!!!

 

“Yes!!! Nana!!! You will recover!! Don’t give up hope!!” Keito was as excited as me.

 

“.............. That’s great!!” Shijimi couldn’t hide her happiness too, her big round eyes curved up from the wide smile she is having on her face right now.

 

Dear Heaven…

 

Thank you…

 

Please…

 

Let Shijimi’s operations be a successful one…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Shijimi hasn’t got her chance to be loved enough by Semi, heaven could be letting her live a little longer to enjoy the simple happiness...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------