42..

Of Truth and Love

Dean dropped by the pub just after lunch before he went to a show he was a guest at. The group of boys were there practicing even without Hyukoh. He was carrying gifts on both hands and with a big smile on his face which slowly faded when he saw Daejung. He was sprawled on the stage floor looking up, obviously not in the mood to do anything at the moment. Dean watched him sigh and noticed how he did it similarly as Chahye.

"They are siblings," he told himself with a smirk. He looked back down and called the boy. "Hey, Daejung-ah!" he shouted. All of the boys stopped and looked up.
Daejung just leaned on his elbows and rolled his eyes at him. "Not him again," he said under his breath.
"Hello, hyungnim," greeted Minchan as Dean descended the stairs. He has always been the sweetest among them.
"Hello, Minchan-ah. How are you doing? Still having trouble with the 3/4 beats?" asked Dean as he saw the boy put down his drum sticks to approach him.
"I think I'm getting a hand of it," answered Minchan.
"What have you got there?" asked Chulwoo.
"Oh. These are for Daejung," smiled Dean as he stood in front of them.
"Are those guitars?" asked Eunshil as he removed the bass guitar from his shoulders.
"Daejung... He said it was for you," said Kwangmin pushing him to stand up.

All of them were soon gathered around Dean. "Here. Open it," he said giving him both the guitar bags. Chulwoo reached for the other one while Daejung ped the first.

It was an acoustic guitar in blue. Daejung's face suddenly lit up with joy. He pulled it out and he instantly strummed his fingers across. It was already tuned. "This is beautiful. Blue is my favorite color!" he cheered.

While Daejung was enjoying his new acoustic guitar, Chulwoo ped the bag in his hands. "Oh my god. Daejung. It's an electric guitar!" Chulwoo said grabbing his friend's shoulder and shaking him. "You now have your own guitars!"

Daejung took the electric guitar from Chulwoo and hung his mouth open. "Thank you," he said as he strummed through the strings. "I'm not that good yet but I'll work hard to get better," smiled Daejung at Dean.
"Don't thank me, kid. Your sister bought the acoustic guitar for you. I threw in the electric so you don't need to worry anymore," said Dean.
"What did you say? Noona bought me this guitar?" asked Daejung.
"Yes," nodded Dean.
"But... Why?" asked Daejung as he looked at the blue acoustic guitar.
"Because she's your sister," smiled Minchan.
"Because she loves you," smiled Dean as he ruffled Minchan's hair.
"But... She didn't even come home last night," said Daejung bowing his head.
"She was afraid you'll see her cry, Daejung," said Dean. The boy lifted his head to look at him, unsure of what he meant. "Your sister loves you so much, Daejung. She may be a bit annoying but she's working hard to give you a good life, to support you. All she asks from you is to keep her on the loop with what's happening to you," said Dean. "All she wants is to have you in her life. It's okay if she's tired as long as you eat, sleep well, go to school and be happy. You should start giving her more attention before she loses her affection for you. She saved up just to be able to buy you a guitar."
"I... I didn't know..." said Daejung.
"Because you never asked her," said Dean.
"You should go and thank her," said Eunshil.
"Where is she?" asked Daejung.

~

Chahye walked back to the building after buying herself a chocolate bar from the convenience store at the bus stop. She already had lunch but judging with what she did yesterday, she still didn't have enough energy to last in their rehearsals this afternoon. And since she didn't come to yesterday's practice, she had to catch up. The chocolate bar would help her with the energy she needed. Hopefully.

She slept that night at Hyoseob's place. His mom let her in. He wasn't home, according to Jihye. He was at the studio working so Chahye slept in Jihye's room instead, catching up with some girl talk. Jihye told her that she knew about Dean and her. Chahye wasn't really surprised. Hyoseob told Jihye almost everything and Chahye treated her like a sister as well.

At around 2 in the morning, Chahye woke up when she felt someone sit beside her on the floor bed. She almost screamed when she felt him touch her arm. But it was just Hyoseob. Without making any noise, he carried her to his room and made her sleep next to him.

"Jihye might look for me," she said as she sat on Hyoseob's bed.
"She knows where to find you," smiled Hyoseob as he took his shirt off and rummaged through his drawer for a new one. "Mom called me and told me you came. It's been a while since you visited. I'm glad you found your clothes," he said as he found a gray shirt and put it on.
"You're gaining weight, Hyoseob-ah," she said when she saw his now noticeable belly.
"I don't really work out, you know," he said taking his pants off, leaving him in his boxers. "Could you turn around?" he asked.

Chahye rolled her eyes at him and lied on the bed pulling the blanket over her shoulders, her back against him. Hyoseob continued to change into shorts and climbed up the bed beside Chahye. She didn't turn around and Hyoseob just rested his face against her neck, pulling the sheets over him as well.

"I heard you got mad at Daejung," said Hyoseob as he played with her hair with his right hand.
"I was. It just felt unfair that I was working my off for him and he continues to keep me out of his life," she said.
"Maybe he was just scared to tell you," said Hyoseob. "We all did that, right? Back when we were young. We would do something wrong and be afraid to tell it to our parents because we didn't know if they'll be mad at us or not. Give your brother a break," said Hyoseob.
"I talked to Dean about this, too. He didn't even tell me anything," said Chahye.
"Maybe because... you were still too emotional? And besides, Dean still doesn't know your story," he said trying to explain his friend's actions. Although, in the back of his head, Hyoseob felt hurt that Chahye was thinking about him.
Chahye turned around to look at Hyoseob. "I asked him to come with me tomorrow. Dean. I wanted to buy Daejung his own guitar," she said.
"Oh. Really? Then that's good," smiled Hyoseob.
"Do you... Do you think Daejung would like that?" she asked.
"Of course he will. He should," assured Hyoseob as he hugged his bestfriend. "You should get some more sleep. You have some shopping to do tomorrow,"he said as he kissed her forehead.
"Good night, Seobbie-ah," hummed Chahye in his chest.

She went shopping with Dean at around 11am and agreed that Dean would be the one to give it to Daejung. The reason because Chahye doesn't have the courage to see his brother yet. And second because Eunji told her to come early to the studio so she could teach her the parts she missed yesterday.

Just as she opened the door to the building, a car quickly pulled up right in front and the doors immediately opened as though the people inside were in such a hurry. And to her surprise, the first person to get off the car was Daejung.

"Daejung-ah?!" said Chahye as the boy rushed towards her.

Daejung threw himself to his sister, pulling her to a tight hug. They almost toppled over but he was able to keep their balance. "I'm sorry, noona," he said as he dug his face deep into her neck. Chahye was surprised and she was more shocked as she felt her brother hug her the tightest he ever could. She started to hear him whimper. "I'm sorry, noona. I love you. I just didn't know how to tell you because I... I didn't want you to worry about me anymore. I could save up for my own guitar anyway. You shouldn't have," he said as more tears streamed through down his face.

Chahye felt her heart twist at the sound of her brother's voice, crying. She closed her eyes and held his head nearer with both of her hands. "I'll do anything for you, Daejung. That's how much I love you. And I'm sorry for hurting you yesterday. I was just so mad," she said.
"No. I made you mad. I'm sorry," cried Daejung.
"Please promise me to tell me anything about you Daejung-ah. I will always try to understand and support you. Remember that," she said.
"I promise, noona. I love you," said Daejung.
"I love you, too Daejung-ah," said Chahye. "But since I bought you a new guitar, we have to cut off with buying food outside," she said smiling.
Daejung suddenly grinned and hugged his sister tighter. "I'm good with fish or eggs. Whatever's available," he said.
"Good," smiled Chahye.

As Daejung cried in her arms, Chahye looked back at Dean who was smiling as he leaned on his car. He was with the other boys Daejung was with at the pub and they all smiled and bowed at her. "I wish I had a sister, too," said Eunshil who was right next to Dean. He ruffled the boy's hair and told him having a sister is nice.