37..

Of Truth and Love

Chahye hasn't seen Dean for two days, not that she really cared about it. It just felt...weird...without the guy who usually creeps into the practice room and disturbs her; the guy who usually asks her out to eat; the guy who would tail him to the bus stop just so he knows she's going home already. He hasn't even been calling her or sending her messages.

She knew she didn't have a right to actually look for him but she missed him. For the most part of their crazy attitude towards each other, she still wanted him to always be there.

"Am I dead?!" asked Chahye over the phone.
"Well... Technically, no. But I don't know what's going on with Jeffrey's head," said Millic, the only link Chahye had left with Dean.
"So that's his name?"
"Yeah. Didn't you know?"
"No. Cute name though. But what about Dean? Is he okay?"
"Yeah. He's fine. He's just busy finishing everything with his album..."
"No. I mean... I know that. I was talking about... With his manager... seeing him... with me?"
"Wow. Suddenly worried about the two of you, huh? That was two days ago."
"No. I mean... I'm just... He's an artist. What if fans find out he's dating....... I mean, if he gets caught with someone?"
"Dating huh?! I always knew you had a thing for Dean," she heard him snicker and she could only roll his eyes at him.
"Millic..."
"Just kidding. Don't worry about it. Jeffrey is a friend. He's like our dad or something. Uncle. I bet he'll like you, too."
"Thanks..."
"Why don't you just tell Dean that you like him?"
"I don't..."
"Oh really now.?!" as he continued to .
"Millic..."
"I got you. I have to go, Chahye. See you. Please kiss Dean goodnight for me. HAHAHA!"
" you. You kiss him. You're with him."
"I will then. I'll say it's from you!"
"NO!"

Millic ended the call with him laughing from the other line. Chahye just stared at her phone as she remembered the way Millic laughed at her. "I swear he's sometimes too crazy," she said smiling to herself as she sat back on the table.

The table full of food.

She told Daejung to come home early because she wanted to cook for both of them so they could talk about their day, just like how normal families do it. This was actually the second time in the row that she tried to do so. Yesterday, she had to hurry after her rehearsals to buy pork meat and then cook it at home. She wasn't the best cook in town but she certainly can whip up some edible food whenever she feels like it. And she felt so happy while cooking, thinking that Daejung would enjoy it with her. But he came home at 10 in the evening, when Chahye fell asleep on the sofa while reading the first part of the hand outs one of her subjects gave.

Daejung said he was with friends and lost track of the time. Being the kind sister that she was, she gave him another chance and that was tonight, cooking and preparing dinner. 

But it was already 9 in the evening and he still hasn't come home. She tried to call him but he wasn't answering. Nor did he reply to her text messages. She wanted to get worried and look for him but she didn't want him to feel like she was caging him. But she certainly was starting to get mad. She did all of this just to wait for him. And she was starting to get hungry as well.

"No, I have to wait for him. I told him we'll eat together," she said to herself.

She attached her earphones to her phone and played some of the songs she liked as she laid her head on the table, her eyes towards the main door, hoping Daejung would come home quickly. But as Primary's "Gondry" played on, her eyes started to flutter. It was almost 10 in the evening and she was exhausted. Maybe just a nap would be all right.

~

She saw Hyuk in a blurry scene as though fog was everywhere. She heard the song playing. As the steady breeze brought the fog away, she then saw Hyuk's face more clearly. He was playing his guitar while he sang. And just like how they used to do it, she walked over to him and sat right beside him, resting her head against his shoulder. She listened. He sang.

"When I open my eyes
I’m alone now
Today, I’m just gonna stay like this

When I see our relationship that’s already over
It’s not right
This isn’t right

The wind is blowing forward
But why isn’t there a single place for me to lean on?
It feels like I’m the only one
So I just started calling anyone
"

He sang the usual kind of songs he always does, the sad ones, the  songs that speak of heartbreak and how hurt he was. He always sang about it. But he never cried. Not in front of her. She wanted to cry as well but she couldn't let herself do so. Not when he was with him. He was the only person that made her feel both happy and lonely all at the same time. And it devoured both of them. It ate their hearts out that both love and hate were nowhere to be found.

"Stop singing like I broke your heart. It's not my fault," she said.
"It's my fault," he said as he continued to strum on his guitar.
"It isn't your fault as well," she said.
"Then whose is it?" he said very softly.
"It's the world's fault. They made us meet at the wrong time," she said.
"Would you still love me if we didn't meet now?" he asked.
"I will," she said.
"Then why does he stir your heart?"

Hyuk stood up, leaving the guitar leaning against the bench they sat on. She stood up as well, looking straight at him.

Everything suddenly went black and it was just them. Nothing else. The trees disappeared, the bench, the guitar. She looked back at Hyuk and he, too started to disappear. His face turned to mist and so did his neck. She reached for his hand to try and save him and she did. While the rest of his body disappeared, his hands were still in hers, solid, alive, moving. She looked down at them and wondered how it could be. But as she looked up, following the mist that gathered around them, collecting themselves in the spot where Hyuk was, a different Hyuk appeared before her, the mist completing his body.

"I love you," he said.
"I love you, too," she answered.

He was smiling at her, his usual angelic smile. But the darkness came back again, and this time, with a voice that scared her.

"You will never be happy..."

= _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ = _ =

P.S
The song I used is actually Primary and Oh Hyuk's "Island".. Such a beautiful song....