20..

Of Truth and Love

"I thought you'd be mad if you learn Chahye dances for me, dancing y for a fact," said Dean.
"There's no need to. Chahye doesn't have that much talents because she never really had enough confidence. But when we were kids, we all learned how to dance, me, Jisuk hyung, Kyung and her. She's good but she never really performed in front of a lot of people. So I guess, when I heard she was dancing for a team, I was happy she was getting back to it. When it happened to be you, I knew she would be dancing y. I came here because I wanted to see how she fairs in it. And I guess, she did good. She doesn't seem to be shy anymore. I wonder what you did," said Zico glaring at him.
"I did nothing," said Dean covering for himself.
"That better be true," said Zico.
"So... Do you think she would be good for tomorrow?" asked Dean.
"Yeah. She's good to go," smiled Zico. "But remember this, Dean. Don't do anything she's not used to or else, your whole performance will fail."
"Is that because of her awkwardness sometimes?" asked Dean.
"No. It's because that's just how she really is. Sensitive," said Zico smiling at him before jumping down the last steps of the stairs.

He saw Chahye at the entrance waiting for him. He shouted her name and she looked back at him. "I can't believe you were able to do that, Chahye. You were y. You had this presence that invited me to watch and even get . And I'm your cousin! I shouldn't feel like that. But you were so good," said Zico tugging on her arm so happily. "I can't believe you did it. I'm happy for you. I can't wait to tell Kyung," he said hugging her again.
"Thank you. Are you sure it's all right with you if I still dance tomorrow?" asked Chahye.
"As long as it's just a dance, Chahye, it's fine," said Zico.
"What about Jisuk oppa?" she asked.
"Don't mind him. I'll take care of him," answered Zico hugging her tight.

The rehearsal ended and they were allowed to go home early. For the most of it, Chahye was able to dance properly in front of her cousin. She also noticed how Dean was not that much engaged with her throughout the dance. Maybe because he was aware Zico was watching him. And that made her breathe a more freely.

Zico had to go back to his studio, the other dancers went on their own way, others going to eat, others to just hang out somewhere. Chahye wanted to go home and get some rest. Tomorrow's going to be the big day and she wanted to store more energy, and probably, more confidence. She was already at the bus stop waiting, sitting on the bench when someone else sat down beside her. 

"What are you doing here?" asked Chahye.
"I'm going to ride the bus with you," said Dean.
"You don't even live anywhere near my apartment," she said looking back at the road.
"Stupid. I'm going to drop you off," he said smiling looking at the upcoming buses.
"You don't have to do this, Dean. How many times should I have to tell you that I don't like you?" said Chahye as she stood up.
"Well, how many times should I tell you that I do? And I'm not giving up until you fall for me as well," he said following her lead as she stepped on the bus.

Chahye saw an empty seat and sat down. Dean took the one beside her. As he settled himself, Chahye reached for the hood behind him and lifted it to his head. Dean turned to look at her. "What? I don't want us to be swarmed by your fangirls, you know," she said rolling her eyes at him.
Dean nodded as she was right. "You know, that's just the reason I know you like me. You're not afraid to spend time with me. And it makes me fall in love with you each and every day.," he said looking at her and flashing his smile.
"Eh?"
"The way you're so nice. You always look like you're pissed off by everything I do. But you still smile at me. You still take care of me. You still talk to me. You're still so nice to me."
"Dean, I am pissed off at you. But that doesn't mean I have to be mean to you. Me being nice to you has no other reason than me just being nice."
"And that's why I like you. If you were some other girl, you would have done everything to get close to me. I am pretty popular, you know."
"I have a much more popular cousin than you. I'm used to it."
"But still... You're different and I like it."
"You wouldn't really like how different I actually am, Dean. You won't."

Dean just sighed and stayed quiet until they got off the bus and walked towards Chahye's apartment. He kept his hands inside his pockets. Chahye was right. He had fangirls everywhere. It wouldn't be so nice if they came running to him asking for autographs or selcas, especially not when he was with her.

"Are you a fan of DoK2 hyung?" he asked, just to spark a conversation as they walked.
"Yes. He's cool. He's a good rapper. Even Jiho listens to him," answered Chahye.
"Do you listen to Crush's songs?"
"Of course, I do. I always do."
"What's your favorite?"
"Crush On You. He made that song with me inside the studio."
"Really? Did he write it for you?"
"I don't know. But we both liked how the music matched his theme, his idea. Jihoon-nim also liked it."
"Jihoon-nim?"
"Swings?"
"Oh. Right."
"I don't call people their screen names. It's awkward. Especially when they're my friends."
"Then why do you still call me Dean?"
"Because that's you?"
"But my real name is Hyuk."
"I just... It's easier to say Dean."
"It's much more adorable if you call me Hyuk or Hyukkie."
"I won't call you Hyukkie."
"Why?"
"Because... I just won't."
"What if I call you Hye and you call me Hyu?"
"What?"
"Something like our own nicknames, just for the two of us."

Dean walked past Chahye who stopped and admired how he was smiling. It amazed her at how he was happy because of her, although she wasn't so sure if she was really the reason. But it was the first time she experienced this, a man openly saying how he likes her. She has friends who love her but Dean really makes sure she knows what he felt. Whether or not Dean really loves her sincerely, she was already satisfied that she had someone like him who was honest with her. There were a few people she trusted. Maybe she could add him to the list. Maybe.

Dean noticed that she no longer was by her side. They were already near her building. He looked back and saw her standing behind looking at him, arms folded against her chest. "What's wrong?" he asked.
"Ami," she said loudly.
"Ami?" he repeated.
Chahye started to walk to him. "Ami. You wanted us to have a nickname, right? That's what I thought we should call each other. It's French for 'friend'," she explained as she stood in front of him.
"Where did you learn that?" he asked.
"French class. I also take Japanese classes in the university," answered Chahye as they both walked slowly together.
"Ami... It's cute. Okay. Ami it is then," smiled Dean.
"Great. Now, let's go," she said grabbing his arm to follow her.

Chahye let him go quickly but that moment she held him already made his heart race. Maybe, maybe in the end, he really could gain her trust. He decided to talk so he could avoid blushing in front of her. "Are you excited for tomorrow?" he asked as they entered the apartment compound.
"Totally. It feels like my heart could jump out right now as I think about it," she answered with a sudden excitement in her voice. "It's going to be my first big stage. It's the first time it's going to be aired on TV as well. And it's my first time to wear those crop tops. I'm not even y."
"No. You're not y. You're skinny," teased Dean.
Chahye glared back at him and said, "Hmpft. I'm in the middle of being too skinny and just right."
"You're skinny," smiled Dean.
"Stop saying that!" said Chahye mockingly hitting his arm. "I hate you," she said.
"I love you," said Dean looking at her.
"And there you are again," said Chahye rolling her eyes at him.
"I'm just teasing you," smiled Dean. "You're too cute."

As they approached the building entrance, Chahye suddenly stopped in her tracks. A man around his 40's wearing a suit was standing at the door with a leather briefcase in his hand. He was talking on his phone when he turned around and locked gazes with her. Dean grabbed her hand and pulled her to go inside but she stopped him.

"Dean, could you leave now? Please? I have things to attend to," she said stopping him.
The sudden change in her tone surprised Dean. "Why? Is there a problem?" he asked.
"No. Nothing's wrong. I just remembered I have to do something. Thank you for taking me home. I'll see you tomorrow," she said with a faint smile before walking away. 

Dean watched as she walked towards the entrance and bow to the man who eventually put his phone down. Dean gave him a look to which he only replied with a bow. The man followed Chahye inside. Somehow, seeing the man didn't give Dean calm nerves. He decided to wait and see if he could talk to the man and know what was up.

He stayed at the parking lot and waited. After an hour or so, just when the skies were starting to get dark, the temperature hitting another 2 degrees lower, the man in the suit appeared from the door and started walking towards a black Benz parked near the gate. Dean followed him with quick steps. Just as he was a good distance from him, he stopped.

"What did you need from Chahye?" he bravely asked in a loud voice, hoping other people would hear if the man ever acted violently.
But he didn't. He just turned around and looked at Dean. "You're the guy from earlier. I thought Chahye-ssi already told you to go home," he said pulling out a set of keys from his pocket, looking for the one for his car.
"Who are you? Why do you know her?" Dean asked again.
"You. Who are you?" asked the man.
"Me? I'm... I'm her boyfriend," Dean hesitated.
"Really now? Chahye-ssi didn't tell me she already had a boyfriend. I wouldn't think she was even looking for one," answered the man, obviously knowing he lied.
"You haven't told me who you are yet. Why are you here?" Dean insisted.
"Me? You don't need to know who I am, boy. You also don't need to know why I'm here," said the man opening the door to his car. "Piece of advise. If you care for Chahye-ssi that much, try to at least know her story before invading her life," he said throwing his briefcase into the car.
"Why do you all make it look like Chahye is hiding something from me? You, her cousins. What is she?" asked Dean searching the ground for answers he knew he couldn't find.
"You'll know in time. Right now, I have one request," said the man getting Dean's attention making him look at him intently. "From today and onward, please always look after her, make her feel safe and never leave her side," he said in the most serious tone Dean has ever heard. The man bowed and then stooped down to get into the car. 
"Wait," said Dean grabbing the top of the car door looking down at the man inside. "Are you her dad or something?" he asked.
The man smiled and shook his head. "But you would probably meet him sooner or later."