Friday the 13th

Marked By Kim Namjoon

     Dear Diary,

Today marks the first week of High School in Busan for me. So, far I've made one friend and one enemy. This place isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Like California, there are tons of things to do. People are kind, caring, and very friendly...Well everyone, except Namjoon and his evil girlfriend, Bora, who bullied me in front of half of the student body. Today also marked the last day for auditions. Since it is Friday the 13th, Nari begged me not to audition for my last two remaining clubs (Photography & Cooking). Not being a superstitious person, I continued to make Kimchi as my entry dish, hoping they would like the traditional recipe. 

"Sujin-ah! I have a really bad feeling about this!" She articulated her feelings while fidgeting with her hands and I shook my head before turning to smile at her. Nari constantly thought negatively about situations. Yes, it's Friday and yes, it's the 13th, so what? What's going to happen? Is Jason going to rise from the dead? I chuckled to myself about the thought as I proceed to churn the Kimchi, mixing all of the spices together. My mother entered the kitchen wearing her pink robe before inhaling the food's scent. 

"Mmm. It smells good in here girls. What are you cooking?" She now made herself comfy at the bar, drinking a mug of coffee. 

"It's kimchi, Sujin is making it for the audition today." Nari spoke for me once again. 

"Kimchi? Sujin, I didn't know you could cook!" My mother exagerrated her response, her attempt at being a caring mother. 

"You never asked. Is dad taking us to school, today? It's Friday, after all." I asked before taking off my plastic gloves and tossing them into the near by trash bin. She shrugged her shoulders and furrowed her eyebrows, now laying the mug back on the counter.

"I'm not sure. He's been in bed, sleeping like a baby. Maybe you both should take the bus today."

"Again? Really? Fine, whatever! If we're late again, I'm blaming you!" I hollered after putting on my sneakers and heading out the door with Nari. This Friday was already coming to a bad start. It was pouring rain outside. Thunder. Lightning. The whole nine yards and my father didn't even have the decency to give us a ride to a school less than two miles away from home...Okay. No surprises there, right? We grabbed our umbrellas opening it quickly, squeezing together to keep dry. Luckily, the bus arrived earlier than usual and we made it to our destination on time with fifteen minutes to spare. This gave me time to prepare myself for class and my last two auditions.

Hongbin stood in the hallway his body pressed against my locker. Our eyes locked almost instantly, drawing a sweet smile on his face. I waved happily before greeting him with the handshake we made together yesterday.

"Someone looks like their in a good mood." He noted as I dug through my locker once again.

"Well, it is audition day and I did use my grandmother's killer recipe for cooking club. So, I'm feeling pretty confident." I babbled and he tapped his nails on the locker on his opposing side making click like sounds.

"Ah! You're auditioning for cooking too? You didn't strike me as the chef type." 

"There's a type?" I chuckled inwardly and he joined.

"Yeah. There's pretty much a type for everything at this school. But, hey I can bet a million bucks you'd look cute with a chef hat." He teased me and I hit him in the stomach playfully.

"Shut up! What clubs did you audition for?" I took out my  destroyed Advanced English II textbook, holding it to my chest.

"Hey, it's true! I'm only auditioning for photography." He stated nonchalantly. I gasped in surprise. Could it be a coincidence, for us to both have the same interests?

"Jinja? I'm auditioning for photography today. At lunch I can show you my portfolio." 

"Seriously? Yeah, definitely show me. Maybe we can do a little trade for trade. I show you my art and you show yours." He planned and I nodded in agreement.

"Ok. Well, see you in the cafeteria. I don't wanna be late for class." 

"See ya!" He waved before dashing off.

     Class was boring, as usual. I almost fell asleep five times and had to slap my face to keep myself awake. My mind was racing. I couldn't stop thinking about auditions and despite my strange feeling of something going wrong, I felt confident and positive. Namjoon and his gang were nowhere to be found this made my enthusiam shoot high like a rocket. Nothing was going to get in my way today. When lunch came around I walked through the doors fearlessly before sitting at the table with Hongbin. All of his photographs were laid out on the table in order as if they were telling a story. The first one a picture of him sitting on a hill, his back to the camera, and the moon shining brightly above him. The second picture of him hiding in the dark, one of his eyes peering from the shadows. They were very creative portraits and that didn't include his sketch book filled with drawings he designed. 

"Hongbin, these are beautiful. I'm very impressed." I scanned through all of the images looking at every detail. He smiled whilst shaking his head.

"These are nothing. I have a million more." 

"I want to see all of them." We locked eyes for a moment before he looked away shyly. The color of pink sweeping over his cheeks. 

"Do you want to know who inspires me?" He asked now biting on his lower lip whilst holding a photograph. 

"Who?"

"Kyle Thompson and Alex Stoddard. Their pictures are bizarre, yet so deep.  Something about their art I can relate too." He stopped for a moment looking at all of his art.

"They're amazing. You'll be apart of photography club in no time."

"You think so?" His eyes lit up with excitement and the dimples became prominent again.

"I know so. They'd be stupid not to accept you." Our eyes locked again for a couple of seconds and this time he didn't look away. We were both completely mesmerized. Our compatabilitiy was out of this world. I'm not saying I want to rush into a relationship, especially since I'm still recovering from the last one, but it couldn't be a coincidence that we shared the same interests. 

"Thanks, you're the first person to actually say you like my photography. My family hates it. They want me to focus on things like being a doctor." Hongbin looked down whilst shaking his head.

"That's ridiculous, but I do have to admitt you'd look pretty good in scrubs." I teased to lighten the mood and he laughed.

"For a girl who doesn't socialize often, you're very cool." He nudged my shoulder playfully making me smile. 

"Thanks."

"So, where are the photos you're going to showcase for the audition?"  He asked. 

"Oh! I completely forgot! I left them in the art room to develop. They should be done by now." I recalled and he nodded. 

"Can't wait to see them. You're definitely going to get accepted in cooking, photography, and soccer." 

     It was then that all of my confidence vanished. Namjoon and his disciples entered the canteen along with Choi Bora who couldn't stop clinging onto the blonde. His face serious as they all sat down together at their table. It didn't take long for him to acknowledge my presence and approach our table once again. 

"To get accepted into the cooking club means you actually have to know how to cook." Namjoon remarked. 

How did he hear our whole conversation? What was he, a bat? I remained silent as he continued to bash me.

"She knows how to cook. She's going to make their taste buds explode with her grandma's awesome recipe." Hongbin defended whilst geturing to my open container of Kimchi on the table and Namjoon narrowed his eyes at him. 

"Awesome recipe? A real chef doesn't need a recipe." He retorted to Hongbin before snapping his head back in my direction.

"What's your problem? Can't you just lay off of her for one second? She's done nothing wrong to you!" Hongbin said calmly this still caught the attention of the whole cafeteria. They pulled out their cellphones slowly and began to record the argument. Most likely hoping for a fight to sprout out. Namjoon smirked. He was now the center of attention and wanted to put on a good show for his spectators. 

"What's my problem?" Namjoon leaned over the table now grabbing Hongbin by his collar, "my problem is scum like you and her. You really think you could beat me if we fought? No? Then, shut up! Mind your own business or I'll destroy you!" He spat before releasing Hongbin roughly. 

"You're weak. Everything about you is weak." Hongbin grumbled. 

"What did you say?" Namjoon asked angrily. My heart started to race, my hands shook, and I started to pant as the conversation took a turn for the worse. 

"Hongbin, stop. Let it go. It's ok."

"It's not okay. I'm not gonna let him talk to you like that. He is the real scum!" Hongbin said loud enough for people to get on film. Before, I could step in Namjoon had already thrown a blow to Hongbin in his stomachmaking the poor brunette groan and tumble to the floor. I couldn't watch my friend get beat  to a pulp and stepped in pulling Namjoon by his hair. 

"Don't you touch my friend!" I shouted. Taehyung was the first to come over in attempt to pull his hyung off of Hongbin followed by the rest of bts and his annoying girlfriend, Bora who thought it was okay to slap me in the face. It was complete chaos as we all rolled around on the ground trying to break each other apart and fight at the same time.

"Don't touch my boyfriend, !" Bora punched me in the face making me collapse to the ground instantly. I felt dizzy as my body encountered the cold hard ground. I've never been a real fight before. The colors around me were merging together and my vision became doubled as she choked me. I gasped for air flailing my arms out to stop her, but found my energy depleting. It wasn't until I looked out the corner of my eye that I saw Nari sitting there with her friends. Her face sympathetic, but she didn't help me. She only watched. This angered me and I was able to find strength as I kicked Bora. A cracking sound met my ears followed by her scream. I sat up quickly to face the girl. She used both of her hands to cover her face it wasn't until she removed them that I realized, I have broken Choi Bora's nose.

"Oppa!" She screamed and cried causing him to stop wrestling. He quickly attended to his hot mess girlfriend, leaving to go to the nurse room as I stood there in shock. Was I suppose to apologize or just say nothing? I didn't mean for it to end like that.

"This isn't over, Sujin." Namjoon spat as he brushed past me while holding Bora in his arms. I exchanged looks with Hongbin who lied on the ground with nothing but a scratch on his lip. 

"Are you okay?" I kneeled down, attending to him as if he were a wounded soldier.

"Yeah. I'm sorry, I just had to stand up to him, for the both of us." He coughed exagerrating his injuries.

"Promise me you'll remember this moment. It will go down in history and promise...To never let go, Sujin." he closed his eyes slowly.

"Get up!" I laughed and he joined in before opening his eyes. He put his index finger on my bottom lip, pulling it away afterwards to reveal a drop of blood.

"You're bleeding, we need to get you cleaned up before auditions." And that we did. He took me to the uni bathroom that contained only one toilet and sink. He splashed water on my mouth for me and told me to rinse with salt water a few times before patting my mouth dry with his handkerchief. It amazed me how much more concerned he was about my minor injuries than his own. He was considerate and kind.

"Yah! Ok. Ok. I'm not a baby!" I hissed as he dried my mouth this made him laugh.

"You're cute like a baby."

"I'm not!" I whined before pouting.

"You are to me. Now let's get your photos for the audition." He dried off his hands.

"Arasso." 

We both walked into the art studio together getting ready to showcase our photography. My photos already finished being developed and someone was nice enough to conceal them in an orange envelope with my name written in bold letter in the front. I tapped my feet nervously on the wood floor. I felt confident, but somehow my nerves wouldn't shake.

"It's gonna be alright, stop worrying." Hongbin reassured me and I smiled exhaling deeply.

Hongbin was first to show his art and the judges seemed to love it. They wrote a star next to his name and I was positive he got accepted. It was my turn next and I handed the envelope to the four judges whilst closing my eyes and smiling smugly. No one has ever criticized my photography so, they would love it no doubt, at least that's what I thought until their screams met my ear.

"Ige mwo ya! Is this a joke to you? Is this a prank?" The main judge screamed in disgusts. 

"No, I worked very hard on these pieces. They're a reflection of my past, the future I hope for, and my now. Maybe I can submitt some other photos."  I panicked trying to persuade them to give me another chance. I wanted them to see my passion but they rebuked it.

"A pig is your past?" The other judge asked angrily.

"What?"

"I'm sorry, you must be confused. We're only taking serious applicants and you clearly aren't serious or professional who ever put you up to this practical joke is immature. Take them back we don't wish to see anymore from you. You are lucky I'm a good person or else I would report you! Next!" The main judge shook her head in disapproval before adjusting her glasses. It made no sense to me I worked hard on those images. How could they reject me like I'm nothing but dust? The tears were b my eyes as I took the images back from them. Then, it dawned on me. My photos were tampered with. These weren't the images I made. Most of them were disturbing, graphic, intimate images. There was one picture of a pig with an apple in it's mouth. On the back of each image was a word. I laid them all out flat on their backs until the words were put together like a puzzle.

"You asked for this." I dug my hand deeper into the envelope feeling a lump inside. It was another dead rose. Namjoon destroyed my chances and as if it couldn't get any worse the principal asked for me to see him in his office.